PDA

View Full Version : Block Grant Medicaid.

Lanie
01-09-2012, 09:42 PM
I have a question about it.

Okay, suppose we had this program. It's a program where we have a lump sum instead of unlimited entitlement.

It sounds reasonable. After all, that's how our current plans work with private companies.

My question is this. Can exceptions be made for those who have a tremendous amount of disabilities and health problems (often preventing them from sustaining full time, permanent work)? Anybody know a good source on this?

Rockntractor
01-09-2012, 11:01 PM
I have a question about it.

Okay, suppose we had this program. It's a program where we have a lump sum instead of unlimited entitlement.

It sounds reasonable. After all, that's how our current plans work with private companies.

My question is this. Can exceptions be made for those who have a tremendous amount of disabilities and health problems (often preventing them from sustaining full time, permanent work)? Anybody know a good source on this?

This is where in my opinion my side needs to do a little work, we don't not under any circumstances want Obama care or any other socialized health care system for all, but our current health care system as well as medicare need some changes and I have not heard many ideas.

RobJohnson
01-10-2012, 05:35 AM
Medicaid in many states have eliminated some previously covered Rx drugs, unless the doctor obtains a prior authorizaton.

This is a good thing...

txradioguy
01-10-2012, 06:00 AM
This is where in my opinion my side needs to do a little work, we don't not under any circumstances want Obama care or any other socialized health care system for all, but our current health care system as well as medicare need some changes and I have not heard many ideas.

First thing I'd do...give people the ability to go to the doctor of their choice...give them the option of not having to be in an HMO to get treatment.

The HMO was the first attempt by the Libs to get socialized medicine rammed down our throats...it needs to go away just like Obamacare.

NJCardFan
01-10-2012, 02:18 PM
First thing I'd do...give people the ability to go to the doctor of their choice...give them the option of not having to be in an HMO to get treatment.

The HMO was the first attempt by the Libs to get socialized medicine rammed down our throats...it needs to go away just like Obamacare.

Actually, the HMO was the worst thing ever to happen to our healthcare system. When I was a kid, you only went to the doctor once a year(check ups) or unless you really had to. If you got a cold, it was Vicks Formula 44, orange juice, and chicken soup and plenty of rest. You went to the doctor if you had a high fever. If you went to the doctor, you paid whatever the fee was. Now, people get the sniffles and it's off to the doctor because, after all, it's only a small co-payment. This led to doctors raising their rates because they were only getting $5-$20 from their patients so instead of a doctor visit being $50, the doctor charges $80 to the insurance company. This is how things got out of whack.

noonwitch
01-10-2012, 03:01 PM
Actually, the HMO was the worst thing ever to happen to our healthcare system. When I was a kid, you only went to the doctor once a year(check ups) or unless you really had to. If you got a cold, it was Vicks Formula 44, orange juice, and chicken soup and plenty of rest. You went to the doctor if you had a high fever. If you went to the doctor, you paid whatever the fee was. Now, people get the sniffles and it's off to the doctor because, after all, it's only a small co-payment. This led to doctors raising their rates because they were only getting $5-$20 from their patients so instead of a doctor visit being $50, the doctor charges $80 to the insurance company. This is how things got out of whack.

Since you are now a foster parent, this majorly affects you. When I was a new worker, in 1987, Michigan issued what we called "blue cards" (for obvious reasons) to every medicaid recipient on a monthly basis. If a doctor took medicaid, you could go to that doctor, if a doctor didn't take it, you had to find one who did. It was simple, especially for foster parents. It was expensive, though. Everything went HMO with Michigan's medicaid program in the 90s.

The problem with using the HMOs for foster kids is that every time the kid gets moved, we have to change providers (HMOs), so that the foster parent can use the doctor that they've always used. This is a real pain for foster parents, who are also required to take the child for a physical within 30 days of placement. It sometimes takes longer than that to get everything switched over-we have a better system, now, but it's still got some flaws in it. It's not so much of a problem in metro Detroit or Grand Rapids, where there are children's hospitals who will see the kid regardless of insurance issues, then bill when it gets sorted out. It's a problem in rural parts of the state, where there aren't as many pediatricians.