01-11-2012, 07:51 AM
President Obama has picked a strong advocate of immigration reform to head his Domestic Policy Council.
The White House announced Tuesday that Cecilia Muñoz, a former senior vice president of the National Council of La Raza, would replace Melody Barnes at the top of the council. White House press secretary Jay Carney announced the appointment during his press briefing.
Muñoz is now serving as the White House's director of intergovernmental affairs and is in charge of outreach to state and local governments.
"The president has asked, she has accepted," Carney said.
Muñoz is an immigration expert who worked for the National Council of La Raza, the largest Latino civil rights and advocacy organization in the United States, until she joined the administration in 2009. The group works to improve opportunities for Hispanic Americans and advocates legislation that would provide a pathway to citizenship for illegal immigrants.
Obama has frequently been criticized by pro-immigration reform advocates for not pressing harder for changes to the country's immigration laws. Hispanic groups also have complained that the administration has stepped up deportations of illegal aliens.
All of this has led to questions about whether Obama will garner strong support from Hispanics in his 2012 reelection bid. It is crucial to Obama's reelection that he win a large majority of the Hispanic vote, particularly in critical swing states such as Florida, New Mexico and Colorado.
01-11-2012, 07:55 AM
The background on LaRaza:
Here are 15 things you should know about “The Race:”
15. “The Race” supports driver’s licenses for illegal aliens.
14.”The Race” demands in-state tuition discounts for illegal alien students that are not available to law-abiding US citizens and law-abiding legal immigrants.
13. “The Race” vehemently opposes cooperative immigration enforcement efforts between local, state, and federal authorities.
12. “The Race” opposes a secure fence on the southern border.
11. “The Race” joined the American-Arab Anti-Discrimination Committee in a failed lawsuit attempt to prevent the feds from entering immigration information into a key national crime database–and to prevent local police officers from accessing the data.
10. “The Race” opposed the state of Oklahoma’s tough immigration enforcement-first laws, which cut off welfare to illegal aliens, put teeth in employer sanctions, and strengthened local-federal cooperation and information-sharing.
9. “The Race” joined other open-borders, anti-assimilationists and sued to prevent Proposition 227, California’s bilingual education reform ballot initiative, from becoming law.
8. “The Race” bitterly protested common-sense voter ID provisions as an “absolute disgrace.”
7. “The Race” has consistently opposed post-9/11 national security measures at every turn.
6. Former “Race” president Raul Yzaguirre, Hillary Clinton’s Hispanic outreach advisor said this: “US English is to Hispanics as the Ku Klux Klan is to blacks.” He was referring to US English the nation’s oldest, largest citizens’ action group dedicated to preserving the unifying role of the English language in the United States. “The Race” also pioneered Orwellian open-borders Newspeak and advised the Mexican government on how to lobby for illegal alien amnesty while avoiding the terms “illegal” and “amnesty.”
5. “The Race” gives mainstream cover to a poisonous subset of ideological satellites, led by Movimiento Estudiantil Chicano de Aztlan, or Chicano Student Movement of Aztlan (MEChA), which the late GOP Rep. Charlie Norwood rightly characterized as “a radical racist group…[and] one of the most anti-American groups in the country, which has permeated U.S. campuses since the 1960s, and continues its push to carve a racist nation out of the American West.”
4. “The Race” is currently leading a smear campaign against staunch immigration enforcement leaders and has called for TV and cable news netowrks to keep immigration enforcement proponents off the airwaves–in addition to pushing for Fairness Doctrine policies to shut up their foes. The New York Times reported that current “Race” president Janet Murguia believes “hate speech” should “not be tolerated, even if such censorship were a violation of First Amendment rights.”
3. “The Race” sponsors militant ethnic nationalist charter schools subsidized by your public tax dollars (at least $8 million in federal education grants). The schools include “Aztlan Academy” in Tucson, AZ, the Mexicayotl Academy in Nogales, AZ, Academia Cesar Chavez Charter School in St. Paul, Minn., and Academia Semillas del Pueblo in Los Angeles, whose principal inveighed: “We don’t want to drink from a White water fountain, we have our own wells and our natural reservoirs and our way of collecting rain in our aqueducts. We don’t need a White water fountain…ultimately the White way, the American way, the neo liberal, capitalist way of life will eventually lead to our own destruction.”
2. “The Race” has perfected the art of the p.c. shakedown at taxpayer expense, pushing relentlessly to lower home loan standards for Hispanic borrowers, reaping millions in federal “mortgage counseling” grants, seeking special earmarks, and partnering with banks that do business with illegal aliens.
1. “The Race” thrives on ethnic supremacy–and the elite sheeple’s unwillingness to call it what it is. As historian Victor Davis Hanson observes: “[The] organization’s very nomenclature ‘The National Council of La Raza’ is hate speech to the core. Despite all the contortions of the group, Raza (as its Latin cognate suggests), reflects the meaning of ‘race”‘ in Spanish, not ‘the people’ — and that’s precisely why we don’t hear of something like ‘The National Council of the People’ which would not confer the buzz notion of ethnic, racial, and tribal chauvinism.”
01-11-2012, 08:14 PM
Being Hispanic is not a race. :rolleyes: Would piss them off to know that they under the true definition of race, they fall under Caucasoid.
01-11-2012, 08:21 PM
If I was not so cynical, I would think he did this to get the south of the border vote.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 4.2.3 Beta 3 Copyright © 2017 vBulletin Solutions, Inc. All rights reserved.