PDA

View Full Version : The hcg diet?

Hawkgirl
01-11-2012, 06:09 PM
Over the last year or so, I've seen quite a few of my coworkers on this diet lose a lot of weight. First about 3 of them used the injection method and got VERY slim after only 3-5 months.
Today, I ran into another old coworker ,who was pretty large to begin with, much slimmer. She told me that hcg now comes in drop form and can be ordered through the internet (red flag)
Basically, you take drops a half our before each meal and you are on a strict 500 calorie a day plan :eek:
The diet claims you can lose 1 pound per day but my friend lost 27 in 40 days instead..still pretty remarkable.

I wonder if you can lose the same amount of weight if you just ate 500 calories a day and skipped the drops...I bet you can.

I'm doing it the normal way this time around..I'm tired of fad diets....

Anyone have any experience with this one??

bijou
01-11-2012, 06:39 PM
I'd never heard of it so I looked it up.

The HCG fat release program consists of three different phases. The first phase consists of building up your fat reserves by eating as much as you like for two days while beginning the treatment of HCG drops. After this, phase two is started. For the next 23 to 40 days, a 500-calorie diet consisting of vegetables, fruits and two meals of 3.5 oz. of protein are followed while taking the HCG. Phase three is the maintenance part of the diet and a new way of living. Each as much as you want as long as starches and sugar are eliminated.link (http://www.healthierpost.com/what-is-the-hcg-diet-why-you-should-try-it/)

Whatever they say you will lose weight on 500 calories a day and no one is going to cut out starch and sugar for the rest of their lives. The only thing this will achieve is to increase sales of snake oil ... I mean hgc. :rolleyes:

wwworkingguy
01-11-2012, 06:43 PM
You'd lose weight at 500 calories a day without the drops. But 500 calories a day is very little to eat. You would also lose alot of muscle. I would recommend Quick Weight Loss plan because they provide you with protein supplements and insist that you also take certain regimen of vitamins.
http://quickweightloss.net/

But probabally the least expensive plan is Weight Watchers.... can be done online now.

Hawkgirl
01-11-2012, 06:50 PM
You'd lose weight at 500 calories a day without the drops. But 500 calories a day is very little to eat. You would also lose alot of muscle. I would recommend Quick Weight Loss plan because they provide you with protein supplements and insist that you also take certain regimen of vitamins.

But probabally the least expensive plan is Weight Watchers.... can be done online now.

I'm not following any diet...I am just doing my own version, which usually works better...cutting out sugar(most not all) and starches.Tonight, for dinner, I had a small grilled chicken breast, steamed green beans and a banana. I either have chicken breast with a salad or with steamed vegetable plus one fruit..either an orange or a banana. Breakfast is either cereal or oatmeal. I don't eat lunch because of my work shift. I usually have a midnight snack which is usually a fruit or warm glass of lowfat milk.

wwworkingguy
01-11-2012, 09:16 PM
I'm not following any diet...I am just doing my own version, which usually works better...cutting out sugar(most not all) and starches.Tonight, for dinner, I had a small grilled chicken breast, steamed green beans and a banana. I either have chicken breast with a salad or with steamed vegetable plus one fruit..either an orange or a banana. Breakfast is either cereal or oatmeal. I don't eat lunch because of my work shift. I usually have a midnight snack which is usually a fruit or warm glass of lowfat milk.

Sound very sensible to me. The best of luck.

RobJohnson
01-12-2012, 04:41 AM
Over the last year or so, I've seen quite a few of my coworkers on this diet lose a lot of weight. First about 3 of them used the injection method and got VERY slim after only 3-5 months.
Today, I ran into another old coworker ,who was pretty large to begin with, much slimmer. She told me that hcg now comes in drop form and can be ordered through the internet (red flag)
Basically, you take drops a half our before each meal and you are on a strict 500 calorie a day plan :eek:
The diet claims you can lose 1 pound per day but my friend lost 27 in 40 days instead..still pretty remarkable.

I wonder if you can lose the same amount of weight if you just ate 500 calories a day and skipped the drops...I bet you can.

I'm doing it the normal way this time around..I'm tired of fad diets....

Anyone have any experience with this one??

Sounds like a dangerous diet to me.

SaintLouieWoman
01-17-2012, 12:07 AM

You'll probably lose more than weight on that diet. Count on gall bladder surgery. Years ago I tried a supposedly physician based plan, Optifast, consisting entirely of liquids. I believe it was about 800 calories a day. When I started feeling really sick a few months into the program, the nurse said without missing a beat that I'd best get my gall bladder checked. I did. I ended up with emergency surgery and had the gall bladder removed the old fashioned surgical way. It seems that all the hospitals did have the easier way to do it then.

No fad diets for me---have seen the consequences.

Starbuck
01-17-2012, 12:23 AM
A 500 calorie a day diet would work about one day with me. Then somebody is going to get hurt if they cut in front of me in line at McDonald's!:D

Hawkgirl
01-17-2012, 02:41 AM
Ran into my friend today and she asked if I ordered the hcg...I told her I didn't and won't...I can't possibly survive on 500 calories a day..and messing with hormones doesn't seem right to me. She continues to lose weight....but I wonder if she will keep it off....I doubt it...once she stops the diet and starts eating normally again, she will not only gain her lost weight back..but probably will exceed her starting weight.

I've seen people that had gastric bypass surgeries as well as lap band surgery gain back most of their weight.

There is no easy fix.

Zafod
01-17-2012, 08:13 AM
The anabolic diet. Look it up...

RobJohnson
02-22-2012, 07:06 PM
Some nights I take in 500 calories while sleep walking!

noonwitch
02-23-2012, 05:21 PM
You'll probably lose more than weight on that diet. Count on gall bladder surgery. Years ago I tried a supposedly physician based plan, Optifast, consisting entirely of liquids. I believe it was about 800 calories a day. When I started feeling really sick a few months into the program, the nurse said without missing a beat that I'd best get my gall bladder checked. I did. I ended up with emergency surgery and had the gall bladder removed the old fashioned surgical way. It seems that all the hospitals did have the easier way to do it then.

No fad diets for me---have seen the consequences.

Gall stones suck, I had my gall bladder removed in 1992, with a laser.

I've tried two fad diets in my life-I did the Cambridge Diet in the 80s, and all it did for me was give me the runs. It gave my mom heart palpitations, so we both stopped. That was a liquid diet for two daily meals, and one normal meal a day. It was like Slim Fast, only you bought the powdered food from a distributor, like you would (Sc)Amway products.

I tried macrobiotics in the early 90s, when my gall stones started causing me pain. It worked on the gall stones, but it made me feel like I was going crazy. I stuck with it, only adding cheese for protein, until it stopped working on the gall stones. Once I had the surgery, I went back to my bad eating habits.

I am never dieting again, but a lot of my coworkers who don't want to exercise have started Weight Watchers, which I did successfully as a teenager. One of them has lost about 15lbs in the past 6 weeks. It's probably the healthiest diet out there, because you get enough food to not feel hungry.

Zafod
02-23-2012, 05:52 PM
weight watchers is calorie counting.

thats it

sorry to burst anyones bubble

jendf
02-23-2012, 08:16 PM
Ran into my friend today and she asked if I ordered the hcg...I told her I didn't and won't...I can't possibly survive on 500 calories a day..and messing with hormones doesn't seem right to me. She continues to lose weight....but I wonder if she will keep it off....I doubt it...once she stops the diet and starts eating normally again, she will not only gain her lost weight back..but probably will exceed her starting weight.

I've seen people that had gastric bypass surgeries as well as lap band surgery gain back most of their weight.

There is no easy fix.

Absolutely they will. I know 3 people personally who have done HCG and all of them gained back weight when they went off it. I don't want to say I was happy about this but their constant updates like, "I lost 8 pounds this week," was getting really obnoxious. Anyone who thinks losing that amount of weight in a week is healthy has lost their mind. I would lose that much weight a week too if I starved myself. :rolleyes:

Odysseus
02-24-2012, 10:09 AM
I'm suspicious of any diet that give a one-size-fits-all calorie requirement, since caloric requirements vary significantly between individuals, and 500 calories per day is a dangerously low amount of fuel for your body, unless you're in a coma.

Zafod
02-24-2012, 05:59 PM
I'm suspicious of any diet that give a one-size-fits-all calorie requirement, since caloric requirements vary significantly between individuals, and 500 calories per day is a dangerously low amount of fuel for your body, unless you're in a coma.

even for a coma 500 is too low.

BMR of 500 is about 300 calories less than what a 1 year old child burns just resting....

Novaheart
02-25-2012, 01:19 AM

Very Low Calorie diets are considered medical diets. There is a clinic at Johns Hopkins which has done this for years, but the "food" you eat on that diet is a fortified shake or "meal bars" so you hopefully aren't malnourished. It's also a ketotic diet using Jason Pharmaceuticals shakes. Typical weight loss can be in the range of 10 pounds per week for the serious subject. The problem of course, is the same for every denial based diet: transitioning to an effective lifestyle.

Metabolisms are also mysterious things. I track everything I eat, and all my exercise, and on paper I ought to be wasting away to nothing. In reality, I continue to lose weight at an acceptable pace.

Rockntractor
02-25-2012, 01:45 AM
I track everything I eat, and all my exercise, and on paper I ought to be wasting away to nothing. In reality, I continue to lose weight at an acceptable pace.

You would lose more if instead of writing it all down you just ate the paper.http://planetsmilies.net/confused-smiley-17429.gif (http://planetsmilies.net)

Odysseus
02-25-2012, 11:14 AM
You would lose more if instead of writing it all down you just ate the paper.http://planetsmilies.net/confused-smiley-17429.gif (http://planetsmilies.net)

Depends on the paper. Two-ply cold-pressed Bristol board is fairly lean, but the processing eliminates a lot of the dietary fiber that you need. OTOH, tracing vellum has plenty of roughage, but is very rich. I recommend a heavy pulp newsprint, with enough four-color printing to provide the full range of nutrients, but do not recycle.

Zeus
02-25-2012, 03:45 PM

There is no easy fix.

The two people that I know that have had Gastric bypass surgery lost massive weight and have kept it off. 1 male & 1 Female and both had it done yrs ago. Course with any weight loss regime certain eating habits need to change forever or of course the weight comes back.

I've been lucky up until now been able to eat anything I wanted and maintained a healthy weight now I'm Borderline diabetic and coming out of chemo has messed my metabolism up. Got
Metabolic neuropathy in the feet and lower legs bad. Some days better than others some days got purple toes and the pain is excruciating.

Zafod
02-25-2012, 08:34 PM
The two people that I know that have had Gastric bypass surgery lost massive weight and have kept it off. 1 male & 1 Female and both had it done yrs ago. Course with any weight loss regime certain eating habits need to change forever or of course the weight comes back.

I've been lucky up until now been able to eat anything I wanted and maintained a healthy weight now I'm Borderline diabetic and coming out of chemo has messed my metabolism up. Got
Metabolic neuropathy in the feet and lower legs bad. Some days better than others some days got purple toes and the pain is excruciating.

Of course they did. They cut out their stomachs....

Gastric bypass is retarded. The people that have to get it have a problem that's mental....

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

Novaheart
02-26-2012, 01:19 PM
Of course they did. They cut out their stomachs....

Gastric bypass is retarded. The people that have to get it have a problem that's mental....

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

I don't know about gastric bypass, but the older operation, the Jejunoileal bypass basically worked by making you sick. Sure, you could eat anything you liked in almost any quantity, but it ran through you like a prune and senna diet.