PDA

View Full Version : Panetta: Apparent Marine desecration of Taliban corpses is ‘utterly deplorable’

SarasotaRepub
01-13-2012, 02:06 PM
Just fantastic!!! (http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/checkpoint-washington/post/us-military-karzai-strongly-condemn-apparent-marine-desecration-of-taliban-corpses/2012/01/12/gIQADTmDtP_blog.html) :rolleyes:

Top U.S. officials moved swiftly Thursday to try to prevent diplomatic damage and contain public disgust from the release of a video (http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/checkpoint-washington/post/video-appears-to-show-troops-urinating-on-corpses/2012/01/11/gIQAywxhrP_blog.html) that appeared to show Marines urinating on three Afghan corpses — images that spread quickly around the globe.

Defense Secretary Leon E. Panetta said he had viewed the video and considered it “utterly deplorable.” He telephoned Afghan President Hamid Karzai and pledged a full investigation.

Don't get me wrong on this but Field Commanders, IMO, need to have a new one torn for this little episode. How many fucking times is some idiot going to do something like this and cause a shit storm??? Why the fuck is the other idiot "recording" this??? JHC!!! :mad:

djones520
01-13-2012, 02:43 PM
Firstly, their Marines, so you can't expect a high level of intelligence. :D

Ok, now that I got the obligatory interservice ribbing out of the way... shit like this is going to happen. You got 100,000 people in country, you can count on 4 of them to be jack ass fuck ups. Especially when their dealing with situations like their dealing with.

And I am by no means giving them a pass. They deserve every punishment we can hit them with. All I'm saying is you have got to expect it to happen. We just have to make sure our response is appropriate to mitigate as much damage as possible that this may cause.

SarasotaRepub
01-13-2012, 03:03 PM
Stuff like this just pisses me off big time. These four morons should be given the new rank of "I'm a dumbfuck" with Moron Clusters.

Incidents like this just give the anti-Mil people a fucking field day.

noonwitch
01-13-2012, 03:09 PM
Stuff like this just pisses me off big time. These four morons should be given the new rank of "I'm a dumbfuck" with Moron Clusters.

Incidents like this just give the anti-Mil people a fucking field day.

Not to mention the chance it gives people like the whack job running Iran to make something like this justify terrorism-when they control the media and the people in Iran only see crap like this, it makes all of the military look bad instead of the 4 buttheads responsible.

Bailey
01-13-2012, 03:09 PM

Incidents like this just give the anit-Mil people a fucking field day.

Well it was dumb for doing it in front of camera.

txradioguy
01-13-2012, 03:12 PM
Have we even confirmed these are actual Marines?

Before you flame...given what happened with Hadditha and those Navy SEALS...I'm a little hesitant to rush right out and condemn this alleged atrocity until I see/hear something official after the Corps does their investigation.

SarasotaRepub
01-13-2012, 03:16 PM
Have we even confirmed these are actual Marines?

Before you flame...given what happened with Hadditha and those Navy SEALS...I'm a little hesitant to rush right out and condemn this alleged atrocity until I see/hear something official after the Corps does their investigation.

Fair enough but if Panetta is commenting on it I would assume the facts have been vetted already.

txradioguy
01-13-2012, 03:33 PM
Fair enough but if Panetta is commenting on it I would assume the facts have been vetted already.

Not always. Panetta is just playing defense. No pun intended. He's just trying to "get ahead of it" to use the vocab of my profession :D

DumbAss Tanker
01-13-2012, 04:43 PM
Not always. Panetta is just playing defense. No pun intended. He's just trying to "get ahead of it" to use the vocab of my profession :D

Apparently a couple of them have been positively ID'd. If so, Mr. Panetta is completely correct.

txradioguy
01-13-2012, 04:53 PM
Apparently a couple of them have been positively ID'd. If so, Mr. Panetta is completely correct.

If that's the case...then they need to be nailed to the wall.

Odysseus
01-13-2012, 06:13 PM
Just fantastic!!! (http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/checkpoint-washington/post/us-military-karzai-strongly-condemn-apparent-marine-desecration-of-taliban-corpses/2012/01/12/gIQADTmDtP_blog.html) :rolleyes:

Don't get me wrong on this but Field Commanders, IMO, need to have a new one torn for this little episode. How many fucking times is some idiot going to do something like this and cause a shit storm??? Why the fuck is the other idiot "recording" this??? JHC!!! :mad:
The commanders can do everything that they can to prevent this, but a certain percentage of troops are going to do the wrong thing. If that weren't the case, we wouldn't need the UCMJ, we could just maintain discipline through PowerPoint briefings.

Not to mention the chance it gives people like the whack job running Iran to make something like this justify terrorism-when they control the media and the people in Iran only see crap like this, it makes all of the military look bad instead of the 4 buttheads responsible.
Not to mention that it gives our media the chance to make all of us look bad. Just a reminder, that when our people die in theater, the enemy routinely desecrates the bodies in ways that make this look like nothing.

http://www.historycommons.org/events-images/a938_dragged_through_street_2050081722-18027.jpg
Somalia

http://atlasshrugs2000.typepad.com/.a/6a00d8341c60bf53ef0120a6d1bdc3970b-500wi
Fallujah

http://mypetjawa.mu.nu/archives/tucker_menchaca_desecrated_bodies4.jpg
Iraq

Let me know when when the hypocritical windbags in our media gives those outrages the same depth of coverage that they are giving to this.

Oh, they will be. You know as well as I do that when a troopie's excesses make it to the SECDEF level, the magnitude of the hit that they will take is measured in megatons.

Janice
01-13-2012, 09:30 PM
Let me know when when the hypocritical windbags in our media gives those outrages the same depth of coverage that they are giving to this.

Thats my view too. Cutting off the heads of live people, mutilating them if they vote (or disagree with their husbands) (http://www.graphixanstuff.com/Forum/index.php?showtopic=8101&st=50&start=50), stringing up corpses and burning them (after mutilating them), dragging dead bodies through streets is alright? Maybe the public would have been perfectly happy and at peace if the bodies of these enemy rabble were burned, quartered and hung under the entrances to bridges around the city ... like they have done to our guys? Our current enemy cuts the head off of non combatants (Danial Pearl), and then calls having their dead being peed on "barbaric"?

These marines have sacrificed a lot more than the nanby panby idiots that are criticizing them. Don't want to get peed on? Don't mess with our troops! How does this compare to getting your legs or arms blown off by remotely detonated bombs by faceless "combatants"? It's called war and yes it's nasty. But don't let this be a distraction from the dismantling of the United States by little Lord Fauntle-Barry and his Demo/marxists friends.

How about some interest paid to Fast and Furious? And the blatant cronyism of the 0bama administration that has victimized and is bankrupting our entire culture/ country with their malicious meddling?

Not excusing the dummy who took the video and then posted it but it just seems like our priorities are a bit upside down, backwards with todays fawning democrat media.

Retread
01-13-2012, 09:52 PM

Drawn and quartered.

Novaheart
01-13-2012, 10:48 PM

Just show the unblurred photo, it should be punishment enough.

Novaheart
01-13-2012, 10:49 PM
Drawn and quartered.

Bit drastic for pissing on a dead terrorist, don't you think?

malloc
01-13-2012, 11:01 PM
This is B.S. I know Marines hold themselves to a higher standard than our enemy, and that we shouldn't sink as low as they do with mutilation of the dead. Yes, I think the Marines who did this were wrong, and yes they should be punished. However, that punishment should be tempered by the exigent circumstances of life in combat, and the incident should sure as hell not be politicized. Punishment for these Marines should be a doc in pay, loss of a stripe, and counseling, not a prison sentence or a career ending entry in the SRB. These Marines could have just exchanged fire with the former owners of these bodies, or they could have lost squad-mates because of the actions of these former people. It's only natural that a little payback might have put any near term past engagements to rest, given the Marines some modicum of closure. Not excusable, but it's not like they took out their anger on the civilian population, just to put it into perspective.

Kay
01-14-2012, 12:25 AM
I say piss on world opinion. The pictures Ody posted, plus the beheading videos Janice
mentioned and this story I'll never forget:

http://www.wave3.com/story/5084125/military-releases-details-on-recovery-of-missing-soldiers-bodies?redirected=true

just to name few, make pissin' on a dead taliban seem extremely civilized.

Every time they show Karzai on tv with that emperor's cloak he always wears over his shoulders
demanding that we punish these Marines severely I just want to ask him how severely any of
his people we're punished for the above mentioned atrocities. :mad: :mad: :mad:

That said, the only Marine that needs to fry for this in my opinion is the idiot that posted the video
on the internet and put it out there for all the world to see. He's the one that ought to hang for it.

Rockntractor
01-14-2012, 01:19 AM
Of course these men should be punished, they should each be required to shoot two more Taliban each.

Odysseus
01-14-2012, 12:32 PM
I say piss on world opinion. The pictures Ody posted, plus the beheading videos Janice
mentioned and this story I'll never forget:

http://www.wave3.com/story/5084125/military-releases-details-on-recovery-of-missing-soldiers-bodies?redirected=true

just to name few, make pissin' on a dead taliban seem extremely civilized.

Every time they show Karzai on tv with that emperor's cloak he always wears over his shoulders
demanding that we punish these Marines severely I just want to ask him how severely any of
his people we're punished for the above mentioned atrocities. :mad: :mad: :mad:

That said, the only Marine that needs to fry for this in my opinion is the idiot that posted the video
on the internet and put it out there for all the world to see. He's the one that ought to hang for it.

The most telling thing about this is that it took several searches to find the photos of American dead that had been desecrated, as they were few and far between. I even had to try Yahoo after Google returned nothing but images of the Marines pissing for the keywords American, dead, desecrated, Iraq, Somalia, Fallujah, etc. So much for "Don't be evil."

Oh, and while we're on the subject, here's how a prior incident might have been reported:

Patton Desecrates Rhine

http://www.scrapbookpages.com/OldPhotos/Patton.jpg

Top U.S. officials moved swiftly Thursday to try to prevent diplomatic damage and contain public disgust from the release of a photograph that appeared to show LTG George S. Patton urinating into the Rhine river — images that spread quickly around the globe.

General Dwight D. Eisenhower said he had viewed the video and considered it “utterly deplorable.” He telephoned German Fuhrer Adolph Hitler and pledged a full investigation.

Rockntractor
01-14-2012, 03:31 PM
I'm thinking that had they tied strings to their arms and legs like puppets and made them dance to a Jane Fonda exercise video, that may or may not have been going to far!:confused:

txradioguy
01-14-2012, 04:44 PM
Meanwhile...on AFN we are being subjected to Homeland.

The premise of the show being that a U.S. Marine was turned by al-Qaeda while he was a POW.

:rolleyes:

Novaheart
01-14-2012, 05:37 PM
Meanwhile...on AFN we are being subjected to Homeland.

The premise of the show being that a U.S. Marine was turned by al-Qaeda while he was a POW.

:rolleyes:

Is it not something that can be imagined? A number of people claim to have come to a "revelation" about the US and its role in world affairs, especially if they have been indoctrinated with "the truth" or something which sounds plausible.

Some of the crap I read on the internet, and they can't all be crazy or mentally damaged, shows that a certain personality type is vulnerable to Islam in a way that you or I might not be able to imagine. Just as neither of us could imagine buying into the total bullshit that is Mormonism, we can't imagine converting to Islam. But just as there are seemingly rational and otherwise intelligent people who convert to Mormonism, there appear to be some who buy into Islam. These beliefs systems make big promises, but the biggest of all is probably the same one employed by evangelical churches: a sense of belonging you simply don't get by belonging to the mainstream.

Personally, I should think that an identity as a marine would be more than sufficient to make one feel special, focussed, and grounded... but it's possible for it to go another way is it not?

Odysseus
01-14-2012, 05:49 PM
Is it not something that can be imagined? A number of people claim to have come to a "revelation" about the US and its role in world affairs, especially if they have been indoctrinated with "the truth" or something which sounds plausible.

Some of the crap I read on the internet, and they can't all be crazy or mentally damaged, shows that a certain personality type is vulnerable to Islam in a way that you or I might not be able to imagine. Just as neither of us could imagine buying into the total bullshit that is Mormonism, we can't imagine converting to Islam. But just as there are seemingly rational and otherwise intelligent people who convert to Mormonism, there appear to be some who buy into Islam. These beliefs systems make big promises, but the biggest of all is probably the same one employed by evangelical churches: a sense of belonging you simply don't get by belonging to the mainstream.

Personally, I should think that an identity as a marine would be more than sufficient to make one feel special, focussed, and grounded... but it's possible for it to go another way is it not?

The question isn't whether it's plausible, it's whether it's (a) likely (not very, since almost every US captive taken by the Taliban or al Qaeda has ended up tortured, murdered and mutilated, not indoctrinated), and (b) something that supports morale. Imagine, for a moment, that you are a Marine, far from home, looking forward to your return, and AFN is subjecting you to a series in which someone in your situation is manipulated and turned into a weapon against everything that you believe in. If some cable network wants to run something like that on their own dime, that's their business, but Armed Forces Network is supposed to support morale in theater, not undermine it with cheesy leftist agitprop.

Novaheart
01-14-2012, 06:58 PM
If some cable network wants to run something like that on their own dime, that's their business, but Armed Forces Network is supposed to support morale in theater, not undermine it with cheesy leftist agitprop.

Maybe the point is to generate discussion and perhaps suspicion?

Odysseus
01-14-2012, 08:33 PM
Maybe the point is to generate discussion and perhaps suspicion?

Suspicion among Marines? Yeah, that will really help the war effort. :rolleyes:

The entire premise is BS. As I pointed out before, our enemies aren't interested in turning prisoners into weapons, they're interested in torturing them, murdering them and then leaving their mutilated corpses out where we can find them. Name one US military prisoner taken by al Qaeda or the Taliban that survived the experience.

txradioguy
01-15-2012, 10:48 AM
Is it not something that can be imagined?

No it's not. al-Qaeda and the Taliban don't leave survivors to test this theory...they just leave dead mutilated bodies.

txradioguy
01-15-2012, 10:50 AM
Suspicion among Marines? Yeah, that will really help the war effort. :rolleyes:

The entire premise is BS. As I pointed out before, our enemies aren't interested in turning prisoners into weapons, they're interested in torturing them, murdering them and then leaving their mutilated corpses out where we can find them. Name one US military prisoner taken by al Qaeda or the Taliban that survived the experience.

The only ones they want to turn are the ones like Nidal and other soldiers with Muslim heritage that can then be used to kill more soldiers.

Janice
01-15-2012, 01:04 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ib9rofXQl6w

Three Things About Islam ...

Odysseus
01-15-2012, 01:05 PM
The only ones they want to turn are the ones like Nidal and other soldiers with Muslim heritage that can then be used to kill more soldiers.

Exactly. US forces in Muslim countries are to be killed horribly in order to get us to leave. Muslims in the US are to be turned in order to take the jihad to us. Now, if a Muslim Soldier were to approach the Taliban in theater, they'd send him back to his base with instructions to help them facilitate an attack, but they wouldn't take him prisoner for any length of time because it would reduce his access when he returned. These guys are deluded and crazy, but they aren't stupid.

Novaheart
01-15-2012, 01:17 PM
No it's not. al-Qaeda and the Taliban don't leave survivors to test this theory...they just leave dead mutilated bodies.

I don't pretend to be able to match their strategies, as Ody said, they aren't stupid to which I would add that they are remarkably clandestine and bold simultaneously. It's like a multi-headed monster that keeps growing new heads. While the Taliban (under whatever name they choose) are unrelenting in their own theater, we have the Saudi government working its way into poor Mexican and South American communities with Islam in one hand and assistance in the other. Since the Mormons and the Baptists are doing the same thing, it's rather hard to call the Saudis on it even though the Mormons and Baptists are a bunch of selfless nuns compared to the Muslim missions.

At some point is it not going to have to be clear that it is Islam itself which is the cause and the reason why it cannot be allowed to live?

txradioguy
01-15-2012, 01:35 PM
At some point is it not going to have to be clear that it is Islam itself which is the cause and the reason why it cannot be allowed to live?

That would require a realization by everyone of every political stripe in this country that it is a threat.

We haven't been that unified against an enemy IMHO since WW II.

Political correctness by the left won't allow them to see the threat that Islam is.

Fear of being scolded by the media won't let most Republicans say the same thing in public either.

It's what allows a huge Muslim school to be able to expand it's property just 3 miles from the gates of Ft. Belvoir.

And a victory mosque to be built within sight of ground zero.

txradioguy
01-15-2012, 01:39 PM
we have the Saudi government working its way into poor Mexican and South American communities with Islam in one hand and assistance in the other.

We also have radical Islam being preached inside our prisons too I might add.

Odysseus
01-15-2012, 05:34 PM
I don't pretend to be able to match their strategies, as Ody said, they aren't stupid to which I would add that they are remarkably clandestine and bold simultaneously. It's like a multi-headed monster that keeps growing new heads. While the Taliban (under whatever name they choose) are unrelenting in their own theater, we have the Saudi government working its way into poor Mexican and South American communities with Islam in one hand and assistance in the other. Since the Mormons and the Baptists are doing the same thing, it's rather hard to call the Saudis on it even though the Mormons and Baptists are a bunch of selfless nuns compared to the Muslim missions.

It's not that it cannot be allowed to live. It's that we must understand what we are dealing with and act accordingly. We don't have to slaughter every Muslim, but we have to understand that their beliefs demand that they slaughter us, and that we have to impress upon them that the consequences for acting on those beliefs are going to be highly undesirable to them. We also have to understand that a nuclear armed Islamic state is an existential threat to every non-Muslim state that it interacts with.

If they want to live in Seventh Century squalor, that's their business. But the minute that they try to export it, it becomes our business to suppress it.