PDA

View Full Version : DU's H20 Man will begin a hunger strike on Monday to protest fracking.

SarasotaRepub
01-13-2012, 01:25 PM
Teh Stupid...Pitt & H20 man has it. (http://www.democraticunderground.com/1002163385) :rolleyes:

Fri Jan 13, 2012, 10:20 AM
WilliamPitt

DU's H20 Man will begin a hunger strike on Monday to protest fracking. This is his story.

http://www.truth-out.org/sites/default/files/011312-1.jpg

Natural gas wells owned by Cabot Oil and Gas in Dimock, Pennsylvania, in December 2009. (Photo: Fred R. Conrad / The New York Times)

In the Clearing Stands a Boxer: One Man's Fight Against Fracking
By William Rivers Pitt
t r u t h o u t | Op-Ed

Friday 13 January 2012

There is a natural prejudice against fasting as part of a political struggle. It is considered a vulgar interpolation in politics by the ordinary politician, though it has always been resorted to by prisoners. My fast should not be considered a political move in any sense of the term. It is obedience to the peremptory call of conscience and duty. It comes out of felt agony.

- Mahatma Gandhi, January 1948

What can the "little person" do?

I'm not going to post the whole stupid thing, read it if you want.

Madisonian
01-13-2012, 02:02 PM
How fracking er... freaking stupid.

michaelsean
01-13-2012, 02:54 PM
They keep saying they are worried about his health. Isn't bad health and eventually death implied? It's not like you are doing a stunt where injury could result if things go wrong. He is going to starve himself to death if he doesn't get his way. (Theoretically) Dying is one of the worst things there is as far as health goes.

BadCat
01-13-2012, 03:00 PM
No one will miss him.

Adam Wood
01-13-2012, 03:30 PM
Time to update J.D. Salinger's words:

"When an attention whore meets an attention whore, comin' through the rye...."

SarasotaRepub
01-13-2012, 05:08 PM
I wonder if the DUmmie hunger strike will be like Sharptons when he was in PR???

The one where Sharpton ate nothing...but chicken soup. :rolleyes::D

JB
01-13-2012, 08:16 PM
The hunger strike is stupid, always is.

However, the water up in Dimock is messed up. Everyone is pointing fingers at everyone else but the fact remains the people in that town no longer have clean water.

Evil Anti DU Man
01-13-2012, 10:29 PM
I wish all liberals would go on a hunger strike.

Teetop
01-14-2012, 09:18 AM
Bobby Sands lasted 66 days.....

:D

Elspeth
01-16-2012, 01:01 AM
The hunger strike is stupid, always is.

However, the water up in Dimock is messed up. Everyone is pointing fingers at everyone else but the fact remains the people in that town no longer have clean water.

How is a DUer's hunger strike supposed to help fix things? I could see if George Clooney decided on a hunger strike. People would actually notice.

SarasotaRepub
01-17-2012, 09:52 AM
And the Soaked One responds...

Response to WilliamPitt (Original post)
Mon Jan 16, 2012, 06:29 PM
H2O Man(47,044 posts)

38. My belly is growling.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!:D

DumbAss Tanker
01-17-2012, 01:17 PM
Pitt's endorsement is the Kiss of Fail to any enterprise. RIP, H2O Man!

:popcorn:

SarasotaRepub
01-19-2012, 11:05 AM
I was wondering what happened to H2O Man... (http://www.democraticunderground.com/1002185736):rolleyes:

Thu Jan 19, 2012, 09:58 AM
WilliamPitt

Update #1 from H2O Man

He told me he is doing well, though "There are only so many ways to prepare water -- ice water, cold water, bottled water, a glass of water, a cup of water ....." http://www.democraticunderground.com/emoticons/happy.gif

His report:

===

Sunday
January 15, 2012

This morning, I had two phone calls, both asking if I planned to attend an anti-hydrofracking meeting at the Sidney Public Library. The first call was from an old friend, who -- when I said yes, I was going to be there -- said, "Good. We need our leader." The second was from a young man who I'm not familiar with, who hung up on me after I said I planned to be there.

The meeting went very well. The gentleman who organized it said that there were three times as many people as he had expected to show up. There were representatives of several of the area pro-environment, anti-fracking grass roots groups at the meeting. The only person I didn't recognize turned out to be the fellow who called me.

He approached me at the end of the meeting, and said that not only did he resent that I planned to do a hunger strike, but was offended that I spoke to a group that appeared to support me. He said that I was no different than a person standing on top of a high building, threatening to jump. And the others here were like a crowd that gathered to watch the freak show, and were yelling, "Jump!"

I told him that I didn't see it that way, and that apparently no one else there did, either. This fellow said, "You are all about death." A woman next to me asked if I knew this guy? I said that I didn't. She asked him why he was there? He didn't respond to her. So I said that my actions were intended to promote health and life, versus hydrofracking, which represents disease and death.

He said that I was "a typical politician," and asked if my "next stunt" would be to take the state senator hostage at gunpoint? I pointed to a book I was holding, and said that if he insisisted it was a bike, it was still a book. The "bike" existed only in his mind. I said he seemed to be peddling in some dark territory, and that I was not able or interested in going there with him.

I am not a "leader," nor a lunatic threating to jump off a building, much less commit any act of violence. I'm simply a citizen, and a father, who is very concerned that hydrofracking will destroy our environment. As the hunger strike goes forward, it will be important to try to focus on that -- no hero, no villan, just and ordinary person attempting to exercise Amendment 1.

michaelsean
01-19-2012, 11:09 AM
The gentleman who organized it said that there were three times as many people as he had expected to show up.

In other words, 6.

SarasotaRepub
01-19-2012, 12:12 PM
:rolleyes:
How many bidness hours does H2O have left???? (http://www.democraticunderground.com/1002186091)

Thu Jan 19, 2012, 11:00 AM
WilliamPitt

Update #2 from H2O Man

===

Monday
January 16, 2012

The press conference/rally outside of the State Office Building in Binghamton went well today. It was bitter cold, and so I was surprised that anyone else showed up. But there were about thirty people.

Last night, I scribbled a rough outline for my speech, based on Thomas Merton's introduction to his 1964 book, "Gandhi on Non-Violence." He compared Western Civilization to a one-eyed giant, that had mastered the sciences, but failed to grasp the significance of matter. Native People's culture, on the other hand, had wisdom without technological advances. The effort to combine the best of these two worlds was essential, before the one-eyed giant destroyed the environment it neither understands nor appreciates.

The S.O.B. is near a couple of hospitals. Everyone has an extended family member who has suffered from a disease such as cancer. The medical profession represents the best in technological advances -- treating and curing illnesses and injuries is indeed an everyday miracle. The medical profession also has wisdom; an example is the message to not smoke, or do other high-risk activities.

The largest area medical provider in our region is Bassett Medical Care. Their board of directors, and their medical staff, have issued statements in opposition to hydrofracking. That process poses serious health risks, among them demonstrable links to asthma, stroke, heart-attack, cancers, and preterm birth.

I ended by noting that all I am asking for is a meeting between NYS Senator Libous, and a few leaders of the grass roots groups opposed to hydrofracking. I said that the goal was communication, rather than trying to change his mind.

Tom Libous is a local politician, and I recognize he takes that position very seriously. I am a local citizen and father, and I take that equally seriously. Something as simple as an election could change our current position, in that sense. But it is nearly impossible to imagine our changing positions on hydrofracking, because that is a matter of our character.

There were many kind people there, who thanked me for what I'm doing. A Vietnam Veteran told me that Merton's writings had helped him in his re-adjustment into society, after experiencing the hell of war. An older woman grabbed my arm as she thanked me, and started to cry. And an itty-bitty 8-year old girl, who had seen me on the news and told her Mom that she wanted to meet me, gave me a CD of children's music. She said she thought it would keep me from being sad when I am hungry. It has.

Bailey
01-19-2012, 12:23 PM
I would laugh my ass off if he starved to death. The dumbass is strong in H2O man.

BadCat
01-19-2012, 12:53 PM
Hey Waterman...hurry up and croak.

The world will be better off without you.

Odysseus
01-19-2012, 01:06 PM
He should go frack himself.

noonwitch
01-19-2012, 02:56 PM
The thing about hunger strikes is this:

The only one I remember is the one Bobby Sands and the other incarcerated IRA terrorists did. The british let them starve.

As far as H2O goes, I'd have more respect if he was going to donate the money he would have spent on food to the poor. If he's not going to eat, there are plenty who don't have much and would like to have a little more food for their families.

Odysseus
01-19-2012, 03:23 PM
The thing about hunger strikes is this:

The only one I remember is the one Bobby Sands and the other incarcerated IRA terrorists did. The british let them starve.

As far as H2O goes, I'd have more respect if he was going to donate the money he would have spent on food to the poor. If he's not going to eat, there are plenty who don't have much and would like to have a little more food for their families.

I remember Al Sharpton's hunger strike, mostly because he gained weight.

Bailey
01-19-2012, 04:26 PM
I would start a fracking well (or whatever they call it) right in front of his house just to tweak him :D

Bailey
01-20-2012, 04:54 PM
Here is a FB link that was set up for H20's hunger strike, please dont post anything bad or whatnot :)

http://www.facebook.com/pages/I-Support-H2O-Man-In-His-Fight-Against-Fracking/254892447917217

SarasotaRepub
01-22-2012, 11:37 AM
Sun Jan 22, 2012, 09:47 AM
H2O Man (47,047 posts)

Hello

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a279/H2O_Man/Mahatma-Gandhi-Wallpapers.jpg

I am scheduled to go to Albany, NY, tomorrow. It is the annual "meet the legislators" day. I am going to be meeting some assemblymen and senators, possibly even the elusive Thomas Libous. Also, there is a rally planned, and I may be speaking there.

If any of you are near Albany, please consider coming at around 10 am.

Thanks to everyone here who is supporting me.

Pat

Mr. humble Libtard is apparently still alive...:rolleyes:

Odysseus
01-22-2012, 03:19 PM
Mr. humble Libtard is apparently still alive...:rolleyes:

Yes, but how is his fracking diet going?

SarasotaRepub
01-24-2012, 01:27 PM
The latest!!!!

Tue Jan 24, 2012, 08:43 AM
H2O Man

Good Morning, DU:

I want to thank you for all the support. It means more to me than I can say.

Yesterday, I was in Albany, at the Capital Building. There was a rally, before meetings with elected officials. A couple of state Senators and Assemblemen/women addressed the crowd of about 750. Then I had the opportunity to. Josh Fox, who made "Gasland," spoke after me; I was so tired that I had to go sit down during his speech, and missed it.

Anyhow. As I tend to do, I spoke about our Constitutional democracy. About Amendment 1, and the right and the responsibility to "petition the Government for a redress of grievances." In that is the implicite responsibility of elected officials to be open to, and respond to, those citizens who seek to communicate.

I said that in my daughters' high school, students were writing LTTE and taking up a petition, telling Senator Libous that this situation wasn't what they were learning about in social studies classes. That it was instead an uncivil civics lesson in government. I said that I realized that Senator Libous had initially considered me a thorn in his heel, but that now it was becoming infected.

Later in the day, Senator Libous agreed to meet with me. After that, I met with two of his top staff people. Not perfect, but not bad. Not bad, at all.

I have doctors' appointments this morning and this afternoon. Then I'm hoping to have an opportunity to spend some time here.

Again, thank you so much for your support. I hope that I can repay the debt.

Peace,
Pat

Please send him pics of banana creame pies...:D:D:D

JB
01-24-2012, 08:56 PM
Is it over or not???
(Chenango, County, NY) 53-year-old hunger striker Patrick R. McElligott of Guilford, NY, ended his protest Monday afternoon, January 23, eight days after his hunger strike began on MLK Jr. Day in front of Senator Thomas Libous’ office. McElligott’s hunger strike was an attempt to get the attention of Senator Libous (R-Binghamton) who refused a meeting with him.

McElligott ended his hunger strike after a chance meeting with Sen. Libous in the Albany Legislative Building’s elevator. The two men then continued speaking in the hallway about hydrofracking in New York’s Southern Tier region...<snipped>Unless it isn't the same dude.

hippie link (http://www.longislandexchange.com/press/2012/01/24/mcelligott-speaks-with-senator-thomas-libous/)

SarasotaRepub
01-24-2012, 09:23 PM
It's over (http://www.democraticunderground.com/1002211632). I saw another thread by Pitt. :(:D

AmPat
01-25-2012, 02:02 PM
How is a DUer's hunger strike supposed to help fix things? I could see if George Clooney decided on a hunger strike. People would actually notice.

If Rosie went on one, the entire African continent would notice.

Odysseus
01-25-2012, 03:19 PM
If Rosie went on one, the entire African continent would notice.

Not to mention the commodities markets. Can you imagine what that would do to global food stocks?

AmPat
01-26-2012, 02:37 AM
Not to mention the commodities markets. Can you imagine what that would do to global food stocks?

I originally thought that H2O man was refering to Ted the Swimmer.

Zathras
01-26-2012, 03:19 AM
Hmmm and here I thought the DUmmy was complaining about Battlestar Galactica......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I4MJtY0uHOs

AmPat
01-26-2012, 10:55 AM
Anyhow. As I tend to do, I spoke about our Constitutional democracy. :rolleyes:

Odysseus
01-26-2012, 04:50 PM
He should go frack himself.

Yes, but how is his fracking diet going?

Hmmm and here I thought the DUmmy was complaining about Battlestar Galactica......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I4MJtY0uHOs

See above. :D