PDA

View Full Version : U.S. Warns Israel on Strike

Rockntractor
01-14-2012, 10:59 PM
By ADAM ENTOUS,JULIAN E. BARNES and JAY SOLOMON

WASHINGTON—U.S. defense leaders are increasingly concerned that Israel is preparing to take military action against Iran, over U.S. objections, and have stepped up contingency planning to safeguard U.S. facilities in the region in case of a conflict.
President Barack Obama, Defense Secretary Leon Panetta and other top officials have delivered a string of private messages to Israeli leaders warning about the dire consequences of a strike. The U.S. wants Israel to give more time for the effects of sanctions and other measures intended to force Iran to abandon its perceived efforts to build nuclear weapons.

Stepping up the pressure, Mr. Obama spoke by telephone on Thursday with Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu, and U.S. Gen. Martin Dempsey, chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, will meet with Israeli military officials in Tel Aviv next week.

The high-stakes planning and diplomacy comes as U.S. officials warn Tehran, including through what administration officials described Friday as direct messages to Iran's leaders, against provocative actions.

Read moe>http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052970204409004577159202556087074.html?m od=WSJ_hp_MIDDLENexttoWhatsNewsTop

Apache
01-15-2012, 12:38 AM
Read moe

http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSzfP6uqhPa-5SjfOX--704K8mEZvQLW9YmKNYbbchhKamwPuh4bw

Rockntractor
01-15-2012, 12:48 AM
http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSzfP6uqhPa-5SjfOX--704K8mEZvQLW9YmKNYbbchhKamwPuh4bw

Yo Moe whuddyah know!:D

Novaheart
01-15-2012, 02:22 AM
Normally I assume that the US and Israel engage in a certain amount of street theater. However, if President Obama takes a truly stupid position on this or anything else at this point, I invite the Congress to pink slip him.

Does the President still get his presidential pension if he's ejected?

Lanie
01-16-2012, 01:58 PM
We've been telling Israel to hold back in areas where we never would. Israel needs to tell us to stick it.

Starbuck
01-16-2012, 02:11 PM
All this is for public consumption only. Privately, Israel and America do what they can to accelerate Iran toward failure.

Drones, sabotage, assassinations, hackers; it's they way of the world these days, and a far, far better world it is, too. In the past, large armies just charged into machine gun positions. The Arab armies expected that model to work up until a few years ago. Got their ass handed to them, too.

Nah. The war is going well, I think. I hope.:)

Arroyo_Doble
01-16-2012, 02:27 PM
Normally I assume that the US and Israel engage in a certain amount of street theater. However, if President Obama takes a truly stupid position on this or anything else at this point, I invite the Congress to pink slip him.

Does the President still get his presidential pension if he's ejected?

So Congress should impeach the president if he doesn't do what another nation says?

Novaheart
01-16-2012, 02:45 PM
So Congress should impeach the president if he doesn't do what another nation says?

Don't be silly. Congress should impeach President Obama for failing to defend the southern border and for allowing the Green March of militant Mexicans into the US to continue.

Arroyo_Doble
01-16-2012, 02:58 PM
Don't be silly. Congress should impeach President Obama for failing to defend the southern border and for allowing the Green March of militant Mexicans into the US to continue.

I heard that the term "Gringo" comes from the song Green Grow the Rushes that was sung by American soldiers during the Mexican-American War.

Novaheart
01-16-2012, 07:29 PM
I heard that the term "Gringo" comes from the song Green Grow the Rushes that was sung by American soldiers during the Mexican-American War.

That's really interesting, to someone.

JB
01-16-2012, 09:49 PM

Does the President still get his presidential pension if he's ejected?And if Israel can not pay its largest benefactor a little courtesy then I invite Congress to cut them off.

Hawkgirl
01-17-2012, 12:31 AM
All this is for public consumption only. Privately, Israel and America do what they can to accelerate Iran toward failure.

Eggxactly! BamBam doesn't want to give his liberal freakies fodder. So whatever is done proactively, is done in secrecy so the crybabies don't....cry.

txradioguy
01-17-2012, 03:50 AM
That's really interesting, to someone.

That's just Bok saying something totally stupid and random just to get his name on a thread.

Happens a lot around here when he posts.

Odysseus
01-17-2012, 11:33 AM
And if Israel can not pay its largest benefactor a little courtesy then I invite Congress to cut them off.

Yes, I'm sure that Netanyahu and the rest of the Israelis ought to be willing to die in an Iranian nuclear strike as a matter of "courtesy". :rolleyes:

Tipsycatlover
01-17-2012, 11:41 AM
Yes, I'm sure that Netanyahu and the rest of the Israelis ought to be willing to die in an Iranian nuclear strike as a matter of "courtesy". :rolleyes:

Like the Christians in Egypt ought to be willing to die as a matter of advancing peace in the country.

Bailey
01-17-2012, 12:00 PM

Yes I was thinking the same thing

Odysseus
01-17-2012, 12:05 PM
Like the Christians in Egypt ought to be willing to die as a matter of advancing peace in the country.

Exactly. If all of us stubborn infidels would just get with the program and either die or convert, there'd be no problem. :rolleyes:

marv
01-17-2012, 12:23 PM

It derives from griego, the Spanish word for “Greek”, and is documented in Spain in the Diccionario castellano con las voces de Ciencias y Artes y sus correspondientes en las 3 lenguas francesa, latina e italiana.

noonwitch
01-17-2012, 03:00 PM

Drones, sabotage, assassinations, hackers; it's they way of the world these days, and a far, far better world it is, too. In the past, large armies just charged into machine gun positions. The Arab armies expected that model to work up until a few years ago. Got their ass handed to them, too.

Nah. The war is going well, I think. I hope.:)

I think you have a point, and hope you are right. It makes sense to let Iran think that the US and Israel are having diplomatic problems. But between the captured drone and the assassinations, it looks to me like there is some level of coordination between both countries.

Odysseus
01-17-2012, 04:14 PM
It derives from griego, the Spanish word for “Greek”, and is documented in Spain in the Diccionario castellano con las voces de Ciencias y Artes y sus correspondientes en las 3 lenguas francesa, latina e italiana.

Yes, but that's not what he heard. :D

JB
01-17-2012, 07:42 PM
Yes, I'm sure that Netanyahu and the rest of the Israelis ought to be willing to die in an Iranian nuclear strike as a matter of "courtesy". :rolleyes:Not at all. But if the government of Israel wants to defy a request from a country that throws huge amounts of money at them, the US needs to walk away. You know, friends like these and all that. ;)

Odysseus
01-17-2012, 07:55 PM
Not at all. But if the government of Israel wants to defy a request from a country that throws huge amounts of money at them, the US needs to walk away. You know, friends like these and all that. ;)

Given a choice between dying in place and taking Obama's word that the sanctions will work before Iran gets the capability to launch, the Israelis have a choice to make, but I'm sure that the "friends like these" meme goes both ways. To put it another way, would you trust Obama with your life?

JB
01-17-2012, 08:10 PM
Given a choice between dying in place and taking Obama's word that the sanctions will work before Iran gets the capability to launch, the Israelis have a choice to make, but I'm sure that the "friends like these" meme goes both ways. To put it another way, would you trust Obama with your life?Doesn't matter. Israel asks forgiveness not permission. I live by the same mantra. I'll get over it. :D