PDA

View Full Version : TV -Stephen Colbert announces run in South Carolina presidential primary

txradioguy
01-15-2012, 10:42 AM
President Stephen Colbert?

Now that Comedy Central’s Stephen Colbert has passed control of his Super PAC to BFF Jon Stewart and announced he is running for the GOP presidential nomination in South Carolina, that scenario is one step closer to reality.

Here's how it all went down.

On the Jan. 12 edition of his show “The Colbert Report,” Colbert asked his lawyer, former Federal Election Commission chairman Trevor Potter, “Can I run for president and keep my super Pac? Don’t sugar coat it.”

Potter explained: “No. You cannot be a candidate and run a super PAC. That would be coordinating with yourself.”

Hence, Colbert passed control of his super PAC, “Americans for a Better Tomorrow, Tomorrow” to Stewart, who hosts "The Daily Show" in the slot preceding Colbert.

“I’m honored,” said Stewart. “But... can we do this? Because you and I are also business partners.”

Stewart is a producer on "The Colbert Report."

Colbert turned to Potter for guidance.

“Being business partners does not count as coordination, legally,” the attorney explained.

With Colbert and Stewart’s signatures on a single legal document, Colbert is now legally on his way to a legitimate presidential run, according to his lawyer.

http://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/2012/01/13/stephen-colbert-announces-run-in-south-carolina-presidential-primary-hands-pac/?test=faces

txradioguy
01-15-2012, 10:43 AM
Colbert has made his entire career lampooning what he sees as THE uber Conservative Bill O’Reilly.

Problem is that BOR isn’t Conservative.

Colbert isn’t smart enough to figure that out.

Now he thinks he’s being clever by taking Rush’s “Operation Chaos” one step further...never realizing it just makes him look like an even bigger tool to anyone outside his immature viewer base.

newshutr
01-15-2012, 10:48 AM
I'm writing in Pat Paulsen..

txradioguy
01-15-2012, 10:49 AM
I'm writing in Pat Paulsen..

Good idea! :D

http://trialx.com/curetalk/wp-content/blogs.dir/7/files/2011/03/gcelebrities/Pat_Paulsen-1.jpg

Kay
01-15-2012, 11:23 AM
Pat Paulson or Ralph Nader.
Those two used to be the staples on every presidential ballot.

linda22003
01-15-2012, 12:41 PM
At least one of them is dead. When you watch Nader, it's hard to be absolutely sure that it's Paulsen.

Wei Wu Wei
01-15-2012, 03:42 PM
Colbert has made his entire career lampooning what he sees as THE uber Conservative Bill O’Reilly.

Colbert isn’t smart enough to figure that out.

Now he thinks he’s being clever by taking Rush’s “Operation Chaos” one step further...never realizing it just makes him look like an even bigger tool to anyone outside his immature viewer base.

I don't think Colbert is taking "Operation Chaos" further. Rush's Operation Chaos was a deliberate attempt to disrupt the democratic primary process, while Colbert is simply doing this to make a joke and a point.

Putting himself into the race is just going to offer his name as a gimmick option for people who would otherwise not vote or for democrat voters who are able to vote in open primaries. With Rush's plan, they were actively supporting a Democratic candidate who had a chance to affect the outcome of the race. Colbert's presence in the race isn't going to affect the race in any way, or take votes away from any of the serious candidates, it's just a gimmick.

The point he has been making is highlighting the absurdity and corrupted nature of todays campaign finance laws. By making his own superpac and showing how flimsy and BS the process is on national television, he's showing just how inviting the system is to corruption.

If Stephen Colbert can make a superpac and raise tons of money and spend it on ads, laughingly overstepping the "official" regulations (such as those regarding coordination), then the same is possible of people who are actually seeking power. Colbert is doing this as a joke, but in doing so, he is demonstrating what Washington is actually doing to grab power.

Right....I've seen O'reilly making this claim an awful lot on his show recently.

So, how would you classify Bill?

It seems to me that his ideology (or that of his on-screen persona) very closely matches that of the Mainstream Republican Party. You can call that whatever you want.

fettpett
01-15-2012, 05:05 PM
I don't think Colbert is taking "Operation Chaos" further. Rush's Operation Chaos was a deliberate attempt to disrupt the democratic primary process, while Colbert is simply doing this to make a joke and a point.

:rolleyes::rolleyes: typical bullshit by you. "Operation Chaos" was not disruptive to any democratic process. it MIGHT have extended the primaries a little bit, but no on a large scale. The Democrats have a dumbass system for their primaries with the super delegates.

Colbert isn't doing anything different, other than running himself....hell if Rush did that, he'd win the Primary

Novaheart
01-15-2012, 05:31 PM
:rolleyes::rolleyes: typical bullshit by you. "Operation Chaos" was not disruptive to any democratic process. it MIGHT have extended the primaries a little bit, but no on a large scale. The Democrats have a dumbass system for their primaries with the super delegates.

Colbert isn't doing anything different, other than running himself....hell if Rush did that, he'd win the Primary

Newt would slice and dice Rush. Rush is a nasty 15 year old who makes his living kibitzing.

Rockntractor
01-15-2012, 07:45 PM
Newt would slice and dice Rush. Rush is a nasty 15 year old who makes his living kibitzing.

He is the most successful talk show host of all time you basement dweller!:rolleyes:

Rockntractor
01-15-2012, 07:46 PM

Putting himself into the race is just going to offer his name as a gimmick option for people who would otherwise not vote or for democrat voters who are able to vote in open primaries. With Rush's plan, they were actively supporting a Democratic candidate who had a chance to affect the outcome of the race. Colbert's presence in the race isn't going to affect the race in any way, or take votes away from any of the serious candidates, it's just a gimmick.

The point he has been making is highlighting the absurdity and corrupted nature of todays campaign finance laws. By making his own superpac and showing how flimsy and BS the process is on national television, he's showing just how inviting the system is to corruption.

If Stephen Colbert can make a superpac and raise tons of money and spend it on ads, laughingly overstepping the "official" regulations (such as those regarding coordination), then the same is possible of people who are actually seeking power. Colbert is doing this as a joke, but in doing so, he is demonstrating what Washington is actually doing to grab power.

Right....I've seen O'reilly making this claim an awful lot on his show recently.

So, how would you classify Bill?

It seems to me that his ideology (or that of his on-screen persona) very closely matches that of the Mainstream Republican Party. You can call that whatever you want.

Who cares?

Apache
01-15-2012, 08:04 PM

Maybe, just maybe, if you an an iota of a clue about Rush you might be taken seriously. Since you don't, you're not :rolleyes:

Elspeth
01-16-2012, 01:20 AM
Putting himself into the race is just going to offer his name as a gimmick option for people who would otherwise not vote or for democrat voters who are able to vote in open primaries.

So Colbert may actually be helping the GOP by siphoning off the votes of trouble-making Democrats, who might want to mess with the GOP field. Instead of messing with the GOP primary by voting en masse for Ron Paul, for example, these potential Democratic troublemakers will vote for Colbert and feel they are making a statement against Citizens United.

Whose side is Comedy Central on?

txradioguy
01-16-2012, 05:58 AM

Yeah ad that's why Newt made him an honorary member of Congress in 1994.

:rolleyes:

Molon Labe
01-16-2012, 11:58 AM
President Stephen Colbert?

more likely than President Perry. He's pulling 5% to Perry's 4%

Odysseus
01-16-2012, 12:58 PM
It was funny when Paulson did it, what, forty years ago? Now it's just pathetic.

noonwitch
01-17-2012, 10:20 AM
Stephen Colbert is joking. If he gets any votes, he'll joke even more about it. He doesn't really mock O'Reilly, though, he more mock-worships him. He refers to him as "Papa Bear", and it's pretty good-natured, as far as these things go.

If Colbert is making fun of any one conservative, it is Sean Hannity.

Arroyo_Doble
01-17-2012, 10:23 AM
Stephen Colbert is joking. If he gets any votes, he'll joke even more about it. He doesn't really mock O'Reilly, though, he more mock-worships him. He refers to him as "Papa Bear", and it's pretty good-natured, as far as these things go.

This is just satire aimed at Citizens United in general and the absurdity of superpacs specifically.

txradioguy
01-17-2012, 10:24 AM

How does it feel to be so factually wrong all the time?

The Colbert Report is a spin-off from and counterpart to The Daily Show that comments on politics and the media in a similar way. It satirizes conservative personality-driven political pundit programs, particularly Fox News's The O'Reilly Factor.[1][2] The show focuses on a fictional anchorman character named Stephen Colbert, played by his real-life namesake. The character, described by Colbert as a "well-intentioned, poorly informed, high-status idiot", is a caricature of televised political pundits.[3][4]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Colbert_Report

noonwitch
01-17-2012, 01:06 PM
How does it feel to be so factually wrong all the time?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Colbert_Report

I'm stating an opinion, as a regular viewer of the show. He mocks certain aspects of O'Reilly's show, but his persona is more like Hannity.

By the way, do you consider Wikipedia to be factual?

Hawkgirl
01-17-2012, 09:27 PM
Must be a joke as he has admitted to being a democrat on a talk show a couple of years back.

txradioguy
01-18-2012, 05:32 AM
Must be a joke as he has admitted to being a democrat on a talk show a couple of years back.

This is as much a political stunt by Colbert so he can look cool and hip to the kids that watch his show...as his "testimony" on Capitol Hill was.

AmPat
01-18-2012, 09:52 AM
At least one of them is dead. When you watch Nader, it's hard to be absolutely sure that it's Paulsen.

I asked this once and never got an answer; Where is Saint Ralph on the Chevy Volt? Does he no longer care about the safety of vehicles?:confused:

AmPat
01-18-2012, 09:53 AM
This is as much a political stunt by Colbert so he can look cool and hip to the kids that watch his show...as his "testimony" on Capitol Hill was.
If he wants to be cool and hip, he might try to make his comedy schtick funny.

Odysseus
01-18-2012, 11:24 AM

And yet, nobody on comedy central has a show dedicated to making fun of liberals the way that Colbert does conservatives. Wonder why that is... :rolleyes:

noonwitch
01-18-2012, 11:47 AM
And yet, nobody on comedy central has a show dedicated to making fun of liberals the way that Colbert does conservatives. Wonder why that is... :rolleyes:

There's always South Park.

Odysseus
01-18-2012, 02:00 PM
There's always South Park.

South Park is an equal opportunity attacker, which is why I consider it fair, sort of like National Lampoon, back when PJ O'Rourke was one of the editors. I don't mind taking shots, as long as everyone else is, but I do mind being singled out.

Adam Wood
01-18-2012, 02:11 PM
Could get somewhat interesting (http://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/2012/01/18/herman-cain-says-hes-in-on-stephen-colberts-sc-primary-prank-tells-detractors/).

Elspeth
01-19-2012, 09:01 PM

Yet, the South Carolina Democrats are angry at Colbert's latest stunt while the GOP thinks it's great!

South Carolina Democrats unamused by Colbert's ploy
http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/01/19/us-usa-campaign-colbert-idUSTRE80I25H20120119

Late-night TV comedian Stephen Colbert is urging his South Carolina fans to cast votes in Saturday's Republican U.S. presidential primary for former candidate Herman Cain, a way Colbert says he will gauge support for his own mock presidential campaign.

Who's not laughing? South Carolina Democrats.

The state's open primary allows Democrats and independents to vote in the Republican primary and Colbert earlier this week called on his home state supporters to cast votes for Cain.

....The unamused state Democratic Party shot back with an email titled "NO to GOP Primary": "The South Carolina Democratic Party ... DOES NOT encourage people to vote in the Republican Presidential Primary."

...The Democrats' concerns are no laughing matter. Voting for Colbert via Cain would stir up the voter files, likely landing Democrats' contacts in Republican fundraising and mailing databases.

Besides, Democrats also are hoping South Carolinians turn out to vote in their own January 28 primary. Double-dipping in the two primaries is not allowed.

"As much as I personally love Stephen Colbert, I think he is a wonderful son of South Carolina, I think it is all for jokes and we're not going to encourage Democrats to participate (in the Republican primary)," said Amanda Loveday, executive director of the South Carolina Democratic Party.

The local Republican Party, on the other hand, appears happy to play along.

"I'm enjoying watching it all," South Carolina Republican Party Chairman Chad Connelly said. "I like Stephen. He's a potential donor. ... We'd love to have a huge voter turnout."

Connelly said the party is not making special preparations in expectation of extra voters and was skeptical about translating the tally of Cain votes, which will be counted and reported, into Colbert's success.

"I'm not sure how Stephen is going to separate out the people who vote for Cain because he said so and people who vote because they like Cain," Connelly said.

Cain, for his part, is in the on the joke, scheduled to appear alongside Colbert at his rally "in support of their non-candidacies" in Charleston on Friday.

"Together, these two unique voices will declare that they are the same man," read the press release for the event.

Cain, who commanded headlines for weeks before suspending the campaign, on Thursday announced his official endorsement of "the people" instead of any of the running presidential hopefuls. He called it an "unconventional endorsement of an unconventional candidate."

fettpett
01-19-2012, 11:15 PM
By the way, do you consider Wikipedia to be factual?

actually, yes, as they have sources