PDA

View Full Version : A senior official with Jon Huntsman's campaign says Huntsman will drop out of the GOP

SarasotaRepub
01-15-2012, 10:53 PM
(CNN) -- GOP candidate Jon Huntsman will drop out of the presidential race on Monday, a senior official with the former Utah governor's campaign told CNN.

He will endorse front-runner Mitt Romney, the source said.

Huntsman finished third in the New Hampshire primary, a state in which he had staked his entire campaign, finishing behind Romney and Texas Rep. Ron Paul.

He made headlines when he decided to take his campaign to compete in the South Carolina primary, where he was expected to perform poorly.

LINK (http://www.cnn.com/2012/01/15/politics/gop-campaign-wrap/index.html?hpt=hp_t1)

Rockntractor
01-15-2012, 11:02 PM
Goodbye Mr. Milquetoast.

Janice
01-15-2012, 11:34 PM
Its about time ...

Kay
01-16-2012, 12:52 AM
Why wait till Monday.
No time like the present.

Apache
01-16-2012, 01:08 AM
Why wait till Monday.
No time like the present.

Well he does have to thank his supporter....

marv
01-16-2012, 08:02 AM
Well, he did drop out, and endorsed Romney.

Adam Wood
01-16-2012, 10:29 AM
Well he does have to thank his supporter....

Heh.

Novaheart
01-16-2012, 11:15 AM
And that leaves Newt and Mitt. Place your bets, people, place your bets.

Rockntractor
01-16-2012, 11:17 AM
And that leaves Newt and Mitt. Place your bets, people, place your bets.

I would bet on Mittens but would rather have Newton.:(

Bailey
01-16-2012, 11:21 AM
I would bet on Mittens but would rather have Newton.:(

Newt is just a little less liberal then Mittens. Anyone that would do a comerical with Pisslosi is a douche bag IMHO.

Odysseus
01-16-2012, 12:25 PM
Actually, it leaves Newt, Mitt, Paul and Santorum (and Perry, but he'll be announcing his withdrawal any day now). That means that the anyone-but-Mitt vote is split three ways, which is a formula for Mitt to take the nomination, while the others jockey for second place. If Newt or Rick are smart, they'll offer the others cabinet posts in return for their delegates and endorsements. The next move depends on who is best situated to offer a deal (i.e., a clear runner up emerges). In that case, the runner up would be in the position to point out what I've just said, and that if they don't unite their resources, they'll be singing Hail to the Chief for either Romney or Obama in November. Newt or Santorum could offer Paul the Treasury slot if it meant that he could audit the FED. Paul or Santorum could offer Newt the State Department, which he'd have a ball cleaning out. Paul or Newt would have to figure out what to offer Santorum, possibly HHS, where he could actually make a difference in how money is spent on social services and enact real reforms.

Of course, if Romney is really smart, he'll start putting together a cabinet of serious conservatives to allay fears of his squishiness, including an appointment at HHS would would be guaranteed to gut Obamacare and not implement it until it can be repealed.

Rockntractor
01-16-2012, 12:31 PM
Newt is just a little less liberal then Mittens. Anyone that would do a comerical with Pisslosi is a douche bag IMHO.

You have no disagreement with me there, but he would rip Obama like a rottweiler shredding a rabbit.
That gives me a warm happy feeling.:)

Odysseus
01-16-2012, 12:46 PM
You have no disagreement with me there, but he would rip Obama like a rottweiler shredding a rabbit.
That gives me a warm happy feeling.:)

At this point, any of the nominees would turn Obama into a quivering mass in a debate. They've all honed their skills, and are formidable.

JB
01-16-2012, 08:33 PM
Too bad in general. I think Hunstman was one of the better candidates.

I only heard it on the radio but it said that he said he is dropping out because the race has become too negative? That can't be true. Unless too negative means "No one is voting for me".

I wonder who will be Mitt's VP?

Odysseus
01-16-2012, 11:36 PM
Too bad in general. I think Hunstman was one of the better candidates.

I only heard it on the radio but it said that he said he is dropping out because the race has become too negative? That can't be true. Unless too negative means "No one is voting for me".

I wonder who will be Mitt's VP?

If Mitt is smart, it will be someone who really excites the base, with the debating chops to turn Biden into a shambling wreck (well, more of one, anyway). The short list is pretty much everyone that we've wished would have signed on to run for president who who dropped out.

fettpett
01-18-2012, 01:59 PM
too think, there were those that tried to spin Huntsman as a true Conservative....

fettpett
01-18-2012, 02:01 PM
At this point, any of the nominees would turn Obama into a quivering mass in a debate. They've all honed their skills, and are formidable.

which is why Rush doesn't think Obama will do more than 2 debates, if he even does that.