PDA

View Full Version : Domesticating cats.

djones520
01-16-2012, 10:22 AM
We just got a new kitten. 12 weeks old, not feral, but not exactly tame either. It was born outside, spent the first few weeks with the mother in the shed.

It's a real timid cat, very skiddish even around the original owners. Since we've brought him home, he's just hid. Sometimes spending the entire night in a single spot. He's deathly afraid of us and the dog. Seems to find a bit of comfort in our other cat, but she's not exactly warmed up to him yet.

It's been about 2 and a half days now, and I've seen no evidence that he's eaten or drank anything. We just have the one litter box, so I can't just lock him in a room where he can be alone and calm down a bit, cause that wouldn't be fair to the other cat.

Anyone have tips about how to get him more comfortable in the house and around us? Just give him more time? I've never had a cat that took this long to adjust. They may have spent 3 or 4 days getting comfortable around the house, but they never actually fled for their life if they saw us.

I think this afternoon we'll get him a seperate litter box, to make it easier to keep him in a single room till he begins to adjust a bit more.

SarasotaRepub
01-16-2012, 10:37 AM
Zero experience with kats. :D

djones520
01-16-2012, 10:39 AM
Zero experience with kats. :D

I agreed to get another because their pretty self sufficient. Turns out I got the wrong one...

Rockntractor
01-16-2012, 11:12 AM
I have had a lot of cats over the years, indoors and out. Normally if you get a bad egg when they are a kitten they stay that way, find a rural family that needs an outside cat.

Adam Wood
01-16-2012, 11:30 AM
We just got a new kitten. 12 weeks old, not feral, but not exactly tame either. It was born outside, spent the first few weeks with the mother in the shed.

It's a real timid cat, very skiddish even around the original owners. Since we've brought him home, he's just hid. Sometimes spending the entire night in a single spot. He's deathly afraid of us and the dog. Seems to find a bit of comfort in our other cat, but she's not exactly warmed up to him yet.

It's been about 2 and a half days now, and I've seen no evidence that he's eaten or drank anything. We just have the one litter box, so I can't just lock him in a room where he can be alone and calm down a bit, cause that wouldn't be fair to the other cat.

Anyone have tips about how to get him more comfortable in the house and around us? Just give him more time? I've never had a cat that took this long to adjust. They may have spent 3 or 4 days getting comfortable around the house, but they never actually fled for their life if they saw us.

I think this afternoon we'll get him a seperate litter box, to make it easier to keep him in a single room till he begins to adjust a bit more.If you have other cats in the house, then this is a definite. He needs to get used to the house and you first, and then the other cats. It's going to take a week or so for him to get socialized with you and the other cats, but after that he should be fine. Just be sure to dedicate some time each day to go into that separate room and spend some one-on-one time with him. He'll come around.

SarasotaRepub
01-16-2012, 11:42 AM
He'll come around.

Or...there is always Chinese Take-Out.

djones520
01-16-2012, 12:13 PM

We do have a few restaurants here that have made me suspect the chicken is not really chicken...

Rockntractor
01-16-2012, 12:22 PM
We do have a few restaurants here that have made me suspect the chicken is not really chicken...

Maybe the cat noticed a family member caught between your teeth.:eek:

Odysseus
01-16-2012, 12:56 PM
The separate litter box is a good idea, but it sounds like your kitten may have been treated badly by someone, and gotten traumatized. It will take time for him to get over it if that's the case. Give him a bit of time and see how he reacts, but definitely give him some one on one time, so that he bonds to you. Worst case is that you find someone looking for an outdoor cat, as Rock suggested.

Adam Wood
01-16-2012, 12:59 PM

http://i44.tinypic.com/25zi96x.jpg

SarasotaRepub
01-16-2012, 01:19 PM
:rotfl:

Molon Labe
01-16-2012, 02:44 PM
We had a wild cat years ago.....Just stared at us and would run and hide like yours does. He eventually came around and was one of the smartest animals I ever had....(could fetch better than some dogs)

It's going to take lots of handling and feeding from your hand to gain that trust. Recommend you do this in a safe place away from the dog and other distractions.

i don't really know much getting them to eat though. Maybe leave something it can get to and talk to a vet for better advice ASAP.

djones520
01-16-2012, 02:52 PM
I'm taking my dog to the vet on Wed. Gonna talk to him about the cat as well then.

Odysseus
01-16-2012, 07:09 PM
I'm taking my dog to the vet on Wed. Gonna talk to him about the cat as well then.

You may want to bring the kitten along and let the vet take a look. Sometimes, if a cat is physically ill, it will not eat and avoid contact with anyone. It's probably not the case, but better safe than sorry.

Hawkgirl
01-16-2012, 07:43 PM
I say put it in a bathroom by itself with it's own litter box for a few days, spend some one on one time with him when you go in there to feed it. Pet it's head while it eats, try to rub your hands all over him, get YOUR scent on it. I fostered an adult cat a while ago who was never properly socialized. She evenutally let me pet her, and hold her and even trim her nails...but it took a week.

djones520
01-16-2012, 07:57 PM
Well my wife put a small bowl with some soft food under the couch with him today. We just got home from dinner and checked, and he ate it. Also found his poop in the litter box. That was a good sign.

We got a new litter box for him as well.

I'll try to corral him into the laundry room tonight, but he's eating right now, so that's something at least.

Hawkgirl
01-16-2012, 08:00 PM
Well my wife put a small bowl with some soft food under the couch with him today. We just got home from dinner and checked, and he ate it. Also found his poop in the litter box. That was a good sign.

I'll try to corral him into the laundry room tonight, but he's eating right now, so that's something at least.

Yup, he's making progress...since it's still a kitten, you can coax him out....

Rockntractor
01-16-2012, 11:26 PM
Try giving him fish.
http://i686.photobucket.com/albums/vv230/upyourstruly/fish_bowl.jpg

Odysseus
01-16-2012, 11:40 PM

That is good. You may not need to put him in the laundry room. Give him a few days to get comfortable in his surroundings and then he may actually come out and want to be petted or held.

Try giving him fish.
http://i686.photobucket.com/albums/vv230/upyourstruly/fish_bowl.jpg

Not a bad thought. We opened a can of tuna the other day and our cats went berserk, as they always do. Maybe a bit of chunk light tuna on a plate by his other food, just to see how he takes to it, but no more than a teaspoon or so, as he's still pretty tiny.

Hawkgirl
01-17-2012, 02:52 AM
Oh, and how can I forget...

CATNIP!!!

It may get a aggressive at first...but then it will act stoned and be all warm and fuzzy.....not that I know anything about that.

Odysseus
01-17-2012, 08:59 AM
Oh, and how can I forget...

CATNIP!!!

It may get a aggressive at first...but then it will act stoned and be all warm and fuzzy.....not that I know anything about that.

And, he'll eat. Not that I know anything about that. :D

Janice
01-17-2012, 09:03 AM
I have raised cats and dogs all my life. We had a similiar prob when I brought a new kitty home a couple of years back. The prob for us was that the old cat was basically the "Queen" of the house as she was several years old and the new kitty was getting too much attn for her liking. So we locked the new kitty away for a few weeks to allow it time to feed and grow. So that it wouldnt so easily look like an appetizer to the "queen" if she got jealous.

And that really turned out good. The cats got used to each others sounds and smells, especially the smells or scents and got along much better for it. The kitten had been originally raised outside with other cats and dogs.

But now they were used to each others "presence" and we could all breathe a little easier.

Tipsycatlover
01-17-2012, 10:53 AM
Some cats take longer to adjust. Especially when there are other cats in the house that a kitten would find threatening. I've adopted many feral cats who turn out just fine. Keep the cat separate, go into the room and sit there on the floor with the cat. Don't try to touch the cat. Talk to him. Wait until the cat comes to you. Take in a few kitty treats.

djones520
01-20-2012, 11:24 AM
Well, we let him out of the laundry room today. He is still super scared of me, but he will occasionally let my wife pet him. Our other cat is not happy. She threw him off the 8ft tall cat tower this morning...

SarasotaRepub
01-20-2012, 11:52 AM
Well, we let him out of the laundry room today. He is still super scared of me, but he will occasionally let my wife pet him. Our other cat is not happy. She threw him off the 8ft tall cat tower this morning...

A Vader Cat. Excellent.:D

Odysseus
01-20-2012, 01:46 PM
A Vader Cat. Excellent.:D

http://gremlindog.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2008/11/vader-cat.jpg

Luke, I am your Tom Cat. :D