PDA

View Full Version : Wed. 1-18-2012 SOPA/PIPA blackout...

marv
01-18-2012, 06:10 AM
GOOGLE (http://www.google.com/) main page is down, but GOOGLE advanced (http://www.google.com/advanced_search?hl=en) and GOOGLE image search (http://images.google.com/advanced_image_search?hl=en) are up and running. Wikipedia (English only) and Boing Boing are locked.

SarasotaRepub
01-18-2012, 09:17 AM
DU is down too!!!! :eek::D:crowds::tinysiren:

AmPat
01-18-2012, 10:05 AM
I have a better idea: Vote all the DIMoTurds out in November. Then you won't have to worry about the NAZIS any longer.

Rockntractor
01-18-2012, 10:55 AM
I have a better idea: Vote all the DIMoTurds out in November. Then you won't have to worry about the NAZIS any longer.

This one is a mix of idiots from both parties.

Molon Labe
01-18-2012, 11:05 AM
How come John McCain and Lindsey Graham are always one of the guys behind really crappy legislation like this.

SOPA is bad law. Can you guys imagine the internet if this stuff passes?

Rockntractor
01-18-2012, 11:08 AM
How come John McCain and Lindsey Graham are always one of the guys behind really crappy legislation like this.

John McCain should be in a wax museum!

txradioguy
01-18-2012, 11:56 AM

What internet?

AmPat
01-18-2012, 12:05 PM
This one is a mix of idiots from both parties.

Agreed. RINOS are DIMRats.

fettpett
01-18-2012, 01:56 PM
Support the OPEN Act, from Reps Issa and Wyden. SOPA and PIPA will destory the internet. This is one place where I agree with Obama, though he's doing it for other reasons, namely political support from Silicon Valley

fettpett
01-18-2012, 02:11 PM
Rubio pulled his support for PIPA, hopefully more will follow suit

http://miamiherald.typepad.com/nakedpolitics/2012/01/rubio-says-he-doesnt-support-internet-piracy-bill-aka-the-wikipedia-blackout-bill-anymore.html

Rubio says he doesn't support Internet piracy bill (aka the Wikipedia blackout bill) anymore

Sen. Marco Rubio said this morning that he is dropping support for a controversial Internet piracy bill, contending it is being rushed through the legislative process and could have "unintended consequences." His retreat comes on the day of a national protest (see above).

Rubio wrote on Facebook: "In recent weeks, weve heard from many Floridians about the anti-Internet piracy bills making their way through Congress. On the Senate side, I have been a co-sponsor of the PROTECT IP Act because I believe its important to protect American ingenuity, ideas and jobs from being stolen through Internet piracy, much of it occurring overseas through rogue websites in China. As a senator from Florida, a state with a large presence of artists, creators and businesses connected to the creation of intellectual property, I have a strong interest in stopping online piracy that costs Florida jobs. ...

Earlier this year, this bill passed the Senate Judiciary Committee unanimously and without controversy. Since then, we've heard legitimate concerns about the impact the bill could have on access to the Internet and about a potentially unreasonable expansion of the federal government's power to impact the Internet. Congress should listen and avoid rushing through a bill that could have many unintended consequences.

RedGrouse
01-18-2012, 05:21 PM

Agreed to that!

djones520
01-18-2012, 05:23 PM
I try to keep politics out of facebook, but I just had to make a point today.

I posted about how everyone was up in arms about this thing, when it's going to be DOA. Congress won't pass it, and Obama already said he won't let it go through. It won't happen. But we've had our national debt grow more in the last 3 years then in all the years before combined, and you don't see everyone getting all ripshit pissed about that. Priorities are fucked in this country. We call sell it into default, but don't you dare try to infringe on the internet. :rolleyes:

JB
01-18-2012, 05:41 PM
DU is down too!!!!You think any of them went outside or are they just sitting there hitting Refresh on their browsers, waiting?

This could be the best thing Skinner ever did for them.

hai
01-18-2012, 06:13 PM
http://www.cnn.com/video/?/video/bestoftv/2012/01/17/erin-wales-wikipedia-sopa.cnn#/video/bestoftv/2012/01/17/erin-wales-wikipedia-sopa.cnn

Bascially this bill is bad,it would turn America's internet into like China's Internet.

I thought only Commie countries would try this crap.

fettpett
01-18-2012, 06:15 PM
I try to keep politics out of facebook, but I just had to make a point today.

I posted about how everyone was up in arms about this thing, when it's going to be DOA. Congress won't pass it, and Obama already said he won't let it go through. It won't happen. But we've had our national debt grow more in the last 3 years then in all the years before combined, and you don't see everyone getting all ripshit pissed about that. Priorities are fucked in this country. We call sell it into default, but don't you dare try to infringe on the internet. :rolleyes:

While I agree with you, you also need to understand that the internet is a huge portion of business today, and many believe that this bill would effectively paralyze the economy as a whole.

http://www.technewsdaily.com/1973-internet-shutdown-economy-impact-110131html.html

while we could survive a temporary shutdown of the internet, something like this would stymie any attempt at innovation that drives the internet. torrents, social media, media sites, youtube, search engines would all be effected, and all have legit uses that could be shut down with SOPA and PIPA. Hell this website and any other similar ones would and could be shut down without a second thought just for posting something that "someone" deems as infringing on a copyright, with no questions asked. It doesn't fight the problem, it just hampers development.

djones520
01-18-2012, 06:33 PM
While I agree with you, you also need to understand that the internet is a huge portion of business today, and many believe that this bill would effectively paralyze the economy as a whole.

http://www.technewsdaily.com/1973-internet-shutdown-economy-impact-110131html.html

while we could survive a temporary shutdown of the internet, something like this would stymie any attempt at innovation that drives the internet. torrents, social media, media sites, youtube, search engines would all be effected, and all have legit uses that could be shut down with SOPA and PIPA. Hell this website and any other similar ones would and could be shut down without a second thought just for posting something that "someone" deems as infringing on a copyright, with no questions asked. It doesn't fight the problem, it just hampers development.

I'm not marginalyzing the impact it could have, it's more just frustration at all the uninformed who think they have something to be pissed about. They don't know what the bills are really for, and they don't even know that the bills don't have a chance in hell of passing. All they know is people are crying about the internet being censored so they are going to as well.

Molon Labe
01-18-2012, 06:42 PM
It's a good thing too. Teh Guvment has been trying to reign in the net for years. Glad to see places like FARK, Wikipedia, and Google not falling for this shat.

Hawkgirl
01-18-2012, 06:55 PM
Yup, Google has a black bar over it's logo.

fettpett
01-18-2012, 06:59 PM
I'm not marginalyzing the impact it could have, it's more just frustration at all the uninformed who think they have something to be pissed about. They don't know what the bills are really for, and they don't even know that the bills don't have a chance in hell of passing. All they know is people are crying about the internet being censored so they are going to as well.

true. The politically uninformed will be the death of this country :Taps4:

hai
01-18-2012, 07:07 PM
Merging the threads like that totally confused me for a min.

Hawkgirl
01-18-2012, 07:11 PM
Merging the threads like that totally confused me for a min.

LOL, sorry...but no use having two threads on the same subject.

hai
01-18-2012, 07:11 PM
LOL, sorry...but no use having two threads on the same subject.

K,sorry.

Attention congress,if this bill passes me and others will make sure you are all voted out of office this election in November. And trust me,others hate this bill and think it's stupid.

NJCardFan
01-18-2012, 09:23 PM
"Congress shall make no law..."

RobJohnson
01-19-2012, 03:01 AM
You think any of them went outside or are they just sitting there hitting Refresh on their browsers, waiting?

This could be the best thing Skinner ever did for them.

Empty basements everywhere!

hai
01-19-2012, 02:38 PM
18 Senators went from pro sopa/pipa to anti sopa/pipa this morning.

http://gizmodo.com/5877440/pipa-support-collapses-and-heres-a-full-list-of-the-senators-who-newly-oppose-it

It's still far from over though,tell your congresspeople about OPEN.

http://whatsnext.blogs.cnn.com/2012/01/18/the-open-act-as-an-experiment-in-digital-democracy/

Basically if SOPA/PIPA survives it would mean the end of Youtube,Tumblr,several internet based fandoms like Anime,the end of sites like Deviantart and such.