PDA

View Full Version : 'I Tripped'

Hawkgirl
01-18-2012, 07:47 PM
Costa Concordia Captain's Excuse: 'I Tripped'

Having had a long weekend to mull it over, one might think the captain of the Costa Concordia would be able to come up with a better alibi.

<snip>

In a recently released conversation between Schettino and the Italian coastguard, the captain can be heard waffling as the coastguard barks orders to return to the ship to oversee its evacuation, claiming that the vessel was tipping dangerously and that it was too dark. Now, the captain has explained at a hearing just how he ended up ditching the Costa Concordia for the safety of a lifeboat in the first place:

"Suddenly, since the ship was at a 60-70 angle, I tripped and I ended up in one of the boats," Schettino said, according to The Guardian. "That's how I found myself in the lifeboat."

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/01/18/costa-concordia-captain-tripped_n_1212640.html?icid=maing-grid7|main5|dl14|sec1_lnk3%26pLid%3D128441

Seriously???

hampshirebrit
01-18-2012, 08:01 PM
Yep, he tripped into a lifeboat, then was swept ashore by the tide and then accidently fell into a pair of dry socks, in which he was found not even an hour later.:rolleyes:

This guy is so screwed and rightly so.

Hawkgirl
01-18-2012, 08:09 PM
He's going to trip right into a prison cell.

Rockntractor
01-18-2012, 08:34 PM
There was no hint as to this guys character or capability up until now, not even a hint that he should not be the captain of a ship?:confused:

BadCat
01-18-2012, 08:45 PM
There was no hint as to this guys character or capability up until now, not even a hint that he should not be the captain of a ship?:confused:

I guess all those jokes we used to hear about the "Italian Navy" were true.

Hawkgirl
01-18-2012, 08:46 PM

I keep asking myself what their selection process consists of? He must know someone.

Rockntractor
01-18-2012, 08:57 PM
I keep asking myself what their selection process consists of? He must know someone.

Perhaps they have protected groups and have to meet hiring and advancement quotas that throw safety to the wayside as a secondary concern.

Hawkgirl
01-18-2012, 09:00 PM
The CEO of Costa quickly blamed the Captain and "human error" which in essense is right. But they are to blame for putting these incompetent assholes in these top positions in the first place.

Novaheart
01-18-2012, 09:54 PM
Tripping is overrated.

Rockntractor
01-18-2012, 09:58 PM
Tripping is overrated.

Hmmm, maybe he was toad licking!:confused:

Artois
01-19-2012, 01:12 AM
I thought it was reprehensible when I heard his conversation with the Port Authority.

...it can't get any worse.

Than I was shocked, to hear his conversation with the Italian Coast Guard, I was floored even more.

Than today, he announced that him and his 2nd in Command, both tripped and landed in one of the first evacuation boats.

...sigh, can it get any worse?

Oh... he followed it up, by announcing that the few things he did supposedly do right, about the anchoring... he 's admitted he lied, and didn't do them.

...damn

Yesterday there were some reports that the Junior Officers actually led a mutiny and rebellion against the Captain and his 2nd in Command, and were the ones who helped coordinate everyone off the ship, as best they could. Sounds like there was a few heroes on board at least.

Rockntractor
01-19-2012, 01:31 AM
I thought it was reprehensible when I heard his conversation with the Port Authority.

Than I was shocked, to hear his conversation with the Italian Coast Guard, I was floored even more.

Than today, he announced that him and his 2nd in Command, both tripped and landed in one of the first evacuation boats.

...sigh, can it get any worse?

Oh... he followed it up, by announcing that the few things he did supposedly do right, about the anchoring... he 's admitted he lied, and didn't do them.

...damn

Yesterday there were some reports that the Junior Officers actually led a mutiny and rebellion against the Captain and his 2nd in Command, and were the ones who helped coordinate everyone off the ship, as best they could. Sounds like there was a few heroes on board at least.
This is why I don't understand it, you don't just turn into a total fuck up overnight, why was he piloting a cruise ship? There had to be signs of his ineptitude up to this point!

Hawkgirl
01-19-2012, 02:40 AM
This is why I don't understand it, you don't just turn into a total fuck up overnight, why was he piloting a cruise ship? There had to be signs of his ineptitude up to this point!

I won't be surprised if I hear that a family member is on the board of directors, or somehow he has family in the upper chain of command. Italian politics are very crooked...I'd imagine their corporate counterparts are just as corrupt if not more. I am italian, so I can say that.:D

Rockntractor
01-19-2012, 02:44 AM
I won't be surprised if I hear that a family member is on the board of directors, or somehow he has family in the upper chain of command. Italian politics are very crooked...I'd imagine their corporate counterparts are just as corrupt if not more. I am italian, so I can say that.:D

You mentioned that yesterday about the milkman when you moved here, you need to post some original Italian recipes if you have some.

Hawkgirl
01-19-2012, 02:51 AM
You mentioned that yesterday about the milkman when you moved here, you need to post some original Italian recipes if you have some.

I would...but I don't measure. I'll post some sicilian recipes some time.

noonwitch
01-19-2012, 10:52 AM
I guess all those jokes we used to hear about the "Italian Navy" were true.

All the jokes I heard were about the Greek navy, and I really don't want to know if they are true.

AmPat
01-19-2012, 10:53 AM
I worked with the Italians in Afghanistan. I cannot attest to their military prowess pro or con as I was flying over their heads and not embedded with them. I can say that my confidence in them was shattered when I saw them prancing around in the showers wearing panties. I'm not kidding. They were girly panties and not some men's version, decorated with lace, etc. :vomit:

DumbAss Tanker
01-19-2012, 11:35 AM
If only Bill Clintion had thought of such an ingenious excuse during the Lewinsky scandal...

:D

AmPat
01-19-2012, 12:35 PM
If only Bill Clintion had thought of such an ingenious excuse during the Lewinsky scandal...

:DShe tripped?:confused::D

namvet
01-19-2012, 12:44 PM
http://iowntheworld.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/front011812.jpg

He abandoned that ship faster than an Obama Chief of Staff !!!

DumbAss Tanker
01-19-2012, 05:27 PM
She tripped?:confused::D

It works either way, really...