PDA

View Full Version : Breaking: Rep. Gabrielle Giffords of Arizona says she will resign from Congress this

RobJohnson
01-22-2012, 03:29 PM
Rep. Gabrielle Giffords of Arizona says she will resign from Congress this week
(http://news.yahoo.com/rep-gabrielle-giffords-arizona-says-she-resign-congress-191105645.html)

In a YouTube video to supporters, Giffords said: "I have more work to do on my recovery, so to do what is best for Arizona, I will step down this week."
More (http://news.yahoo.com/wounded-lawmaker-giffords-quit-us-congress-192017790.html)

http://i.usatoday.net/news/_photos/2011/04/07/giffordsx-large.jpg

djones520
01-22-2012, 03:30 PM
I was wondering when this was going to happen.

I wish her nothing but the best in continuing to recover.

Apocalypse
01-22-2012, 03:31 PM
Good luck in recovering. Any one who lives through what she did is one tough lady.

RobJohnson
01-22-2012, 04:23 PM
Good luck in recovering. Any one who lives through what she did is one tough lady.

I agree.

fettpett
01-22-2012, 07:20 PM
Wish her the best, but thought that she should have been removed after the shooting. She was incapacitated and couldn't perform her job.

AmPat
01-22-2012, 07:49 PM
I'm sure she was a nice lady but because she was a DimoRat, a bad congress critter. Right choice in resigning and I wish her well.

jendf
01-22-2012, 08:29 PM
Best decision given the situation. I'll always hold her in high esteem for her spirit and perseverance.

Rockntractor
01-22-2012, 08:49 PM
Best decision given the situation. I'll always hold her in high esteem for her spirit and perseverance.

I have a hunch that she didn't like how the party was using her right now.

fettpett
01-23-2012, 12:53 AM
I have a hunch that she didn't like how the party was using her right now.

probably not, she's a "blue dog Democrat" who use to be a Republican, sure she realized how much she was being used.

noonwitch
01-23-2012, 10:25 AM
I'm amazed at how well she's doing, but she still isn't ready to return to Congress, and she may not ever be able to return to a political career.

She still talks faster and clearer than John Conyers.

linda22003
01-25-2012, 01:43 PM
From David Hawkings' daily CQ/RollCall update today:

"THE HOUSE: Convened at 9 and is done for the week, having voted 408-0 for legislation that would apply anti-smuggling laws to the ultralight aircraft that have become the mule of choice for moving drugs from Mexico into the Southwest.

The bill was a longtime priority of Gabby Giffords, who cast her final vote in favor of her measure just after handing in her letter of resignation during an extraordinarily emotional half an hour of tributes on the floor. I will recover and will return and we will work together again, the Arizona Democrat declared in her letter, which was read by her friend Debbie Wasserman Schultz. Giffords did not come to the microphone, but walked haltingly to the top of the rostrum to hand her resignation paperwork to Boehner, who was far from alone in openly sobbing at the sight."

Rockntractor
01-25-2012, 01:46 PM
From David Hawkings' daily CQ/RollCall update today:

"THE HOUSE: Convened at 9 and is done for the week, having voted 408-0 for legislation that would apply anti-smuggling laws to the ultralight aircraft that have become the mule of choice for moving drugs from Mexico into the Southwest.

The bill was a longtime priority of Gabby Giffords, who cast her final vote in favor of her measure just after handing in her letter of resignation during an extraordinarily emotional half an hour of tributes on the floor. I will recover and will return and we will work together again, the Arizona Democrat declared in her letter, which was read by her friend Debbie Wasserman Schultz. Giffords did not come to the microphone, but walked haltingly to the top of the rostrum to hand her resignation paperwork to Boehner, who was far from alone in openly sobbing at the sight."

Boehner cried, your kidding!:confused:

AmPat
01-25-2012, 01:51 PM
Gotta give her props, she still has more brains after the shooting than her friend, Debbie Blabbermouth Schmuck.

linda22003
01-25-2012, 01:52 PM
Boehner cried, your kidding!:confused:

I know, right?? :p In this case, it's hard to blame him.

Rockntractor
01-25-2012, 01:59 PM
I know, right?? :p In this case, it's hard to blame him.

She is a very likable lady and what happened to her was unspeakable.

jendf
01-25-2012, 06:48 PM
I started tearing up watching Schultz read Giffords' letter. She was not my representative and I didn't agree with her on some things but it's still so heartbreaking.

NJCardFan
01-26-2012, 03:04 AM
She is a very likable lady and what happened to her was unspeakable.

What's more unspeakable is that there are those on the left who still blame conservatives and more specifically, the Tea Party for what happened.

Rockntractor
01-26-2012, 01:08 PM
What's more unspeakable is that there are those on the left who still blame conservatives and more specifically, the Tea Party for what happened.

I have a hunch that that contributed to her decision to resign.

RobJohnson
01-26-2012, 09:37 PM
I started tearing up watching Schultz read Giffords' letter. She was not my representative and I didn't agree with her on some things but it's still so heartbreaking.

I quickly used the remote before they showed the goodbye footage on whatever Fox news show I was watching at the time...as soon as I heard the words "tear jerking" I was outta there!