PDA

View Full Version : Stamp prices go up as postal labor talks reach an impasse

Rockntractor
01-22-2012, 10:35 PM
http://www.democraticunderground.com/101432319

Star Member alp227

Stamp prices go up as postal labor talks reach an impasse
Postage rates jumped Sunday for the first time in two and a half years as the U.S. Postal Service hopes to generate more revenue amid historic losses. snip
http://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/stamp-prices-go-up-as-postal-labor-talks-reach-an-impasse/2012/01/22/gIQAC9WLJQ_story.html

Star Member Orrex
8. This actually saves me three cents per stamp, because I thought they were already $0.48 a piece

For that matter, I would be happy to pay a dollar for a first class stamp. It would still be worth it and far cheaper than sending via any private courier service.

Response to Orrex (Reply #8)

Sun Jan 22, 2012, 08:00 PM

Star Member salvorhardin
10. Hear hear!

Actually, make it $1.50 per to buy physical stamps and $1 ea. to print them online.

This space left intentionally blank.
I have a better Idea, get rid of the parasitic union.

Apache
01-22-2012, 11:00 PM
http://www.democraticunderground.com/101432319

I have a better Idea, get rid of the parasitic union.

Try privatizing it. I bet within two years the USPS would be making a profit...;)

AmPat
01-23-2012, 10:02 AM
Star Member Orrex
8. This actually saves me three cents per stamp, because I thought they were already $0.48 a piece
OMG!

The stupid, it burns.:rotfl:

noonwitch
01-23-2012, 10:07 AM
I don't know about getting rid of the union. I've known a few postal workers in my time-they get injured frequently, and sometimes have life-long consequences from their work-back injuries, in particular.

They also complain that management treats them like dirt. One guy told me that when their delivery routes are done, they go back to the branch office and finish the day sorting mail. He said that above the sorting room are catwalks and that the managers walk up and down them, watching the workers while they sort mail, like it was prison. He also said that they made them punch out to use the bathroom.

It's hard to know with postal workers sometimes, though, whether they have a legitimate complaint or whether they are just paranoid. So many postal workers are whack, this guy included. It's hard to know whether they are crazy from their jobs or if for some reason, postal work appeals to crazy people.

Then again, if for some reason many of your employees appear to be paranoid, is it really a good idea to have their bosses patrolling catwalks overhead?

Adam Wood
01-23-2012, 01:02 PM
OMG!

The stupid, it burns.:rotfl:

Moonbat: "I have $10 to my name. I bet that house there sells for a million dollars."
Real estate agent: "No, it's listed for $750,000."
Moonbat: "Sweet! I just saved a quarter of a million bucks!"

Rockntractor
01-23-2012, 01:19 PM
Moonbat: "I have $10 to my name. I bet that house there sells for a million dollars."
Real estate agent: "No, it's listed for $750,000."
Moonbat: "Sweet! I just saved a quarter of a million bucks!"

Pretty much the size of it.
You have a government industry that has to much overhead and not enough business, so you raise prices?

JB
01-23-2012, 08:21 PM
So many postal workers are whack, this guy included. It's hard to know whether they are crazy from their jobs or if for some reason, postal work appeals to crazy people.Noonie, I can answer that for you very easily...

The mail never stops:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zpN00-UTrY0

That's true too. It never does stop.

Novaheart
01-23-2012, 08:37 PM
Try privatizing it. I bet within two years the USPS would be making a profit...;)

The post office is forbidden from making a profit. The post office has made it clear that the financial problem they are experiencing has nothing to do with their employee unions.

Novaheart
01-23-2012, 08:39 PM
Pretty much the size of it.
You have a government industry that has to much overhead and not enough business, so you raise prices?

According to the post office, you have mischaracterized their problem.

Rockntractor
01-23-2012, 08:42 PM
The post office is forbidden from making a profit. The post office has made it clear that the financial problem they are experiencing has nothing to do with their employee unions.

Union people have made it clear unions are not the problem.

Rockntractor
01-23-2012, 08:43 PM
According to the post office, you have mischaracterized their problem.

Oh I see, business is great and overhead is low, so they have no problems.:rolleyes:

Novaheart
01-23-2012, 08:43 PM
Union people have made it clear unions are not the problem.

Envy is not your best color.

Rockntractor
01-23-2012, 08:44 PM
Envy is not your best color.

Their should be no unions in any government jobs anywhere at any level!

Apache
01-23-2012, 09:52 PM

Why do you think I said "PRIVATIZE" :confused:

Carol
01-24-2012, 12:30 AM
So because they are forbidden from making a profit, they are required to run the business in such a way that they continually lose money?

Well, that's government smarts for you all right!

patriot45
01-24-2012, 12:55 AM
I found a book of stamps that I bought back in 09 or so called Liberty stamps Forever at 41 cents each. They are good forever nomatter what they raise the prices! I'm good for 40 letters! :D:rolleyes:

Novaheart
01-24-2012, 01:17 AM
So because they are forbidden from making a profit, they are required to run the business in such a way that they continually lose money?

Well, that's government smarts for you all right!

The Post Office is not losing money.

....almost all of the postal service’s losses over the last four years can be traced back to a single, artificial restriction forced onto the Post Office by the Republican-led Congress in 2006.
At the very end of that year, Congress passed the Postal Accountability and Enhancement Act of 2006 (PAEA). Under PAEA, USPS was forced to “prefund its future health care benefit payments to retirees for the next 75 years in an astonishing ten-year time span” — meaning that it had to put aside billions of dollars to pay for the health benefits of employees it hasn’t even hired yet, something “that no other government or private corporation is required to do.”
As consumer advocate Ralph Nader noted, if PAEA was never enacted, USPS would actually be facing a $1.5 billion surplus today:
By June 2011, the USPS saw a total net deficit of $19.5 billion, $12.7 billion of which was borrowed money from Treasury (leaving just $2.3 billion left until the USPS hits its statutory borrowing limit of $15 billion). This $19.5 billion deficit almost exactly matches the $20.95 billion the USPS made in prepayments to the fund for future retiree health care benefits by June 2011. If the prepayments required under PAEA were never enacted into law, the USPS would not have a net deficiency of nearly $20 billion, but instead be in the black by at least $1.5 billion.

Novaheart
01-24-2012, 01:18 AM
Why do you think I said "PRIVATIZE" :confused:

Shall we privatize the Congress and the Supreme Court as well?

Rockntractor
01-24-2012, 01:36 AM
The Post Office is not losing money.

....almost all of the postal service’s losses over the last four years can be traced back to a single, artificial restriction forced onto the Post Office by the Republican-led Congress in 2006.
At the very end of that year, Congress passed the Postal Accountability and Enhancement Act of 2006 (PAEA). Under PAEA, USPS was forced to “prefund its future health care benefit payments to retirees for the next 75 years in an astonishing ten-year time span” — meaning that it had to put aside billions of dollars to pay for the health benefits of employees it hasn’t even hired yet, something “that no other government or private corporation is required to do.”
As consumer advocate Ralph Nader noted, if PAEA was never enacted, USPS would actually be facing a $1.5 billion surplus today:
By June 2011, the USPS saw a total net deficit of $19.5 billion, $12.7 billion of which was borrowed money from Treasury (leaving just $2.3 billion left until the USPS hits its statutory borrowing limit of $15 billion). This $19.5 billion deficit almost exactly matches the $20.95 billion the USPS made in prepayments to the fund for future retiree health care benefits by June 2011. If the prepayments required under PAEA were never enacted into law, the USPS would not have a net deficiency of nearly $20 billion, but instead be in the black by at least $1.5 billion.
OMG they were supposed to pay for themselves!:eek:

Novaheart
01-24-2012, 01:41 AM
OMG they were supposed to pay for themselves!:eek:

There is no "were' to it. Congress dropped an accounting bomb on the post office.

Rockntractor
01-24-2012, 01:46 AM
There is no "were' to it. Congress dropped an accounting bomb on the post office.

I mean dam, none of the companies I worked for actually saved any money for our retirement funds, the retirement fairy just swooped in and put the money in the account when people retired, this truly is draconian!:mad:

Novaheart
01-24-2012, 11:04 AM
I mean dam, none of the companies I worked for actually saved any money for our retirement funds, the retirement fairy just swooped in and put the money in the account when people retired, this truly is draconian!:mad:

Just kills you doesn't it? There is a government agency, constitutionally grounded, which operates without tax subsidy, which operates in a sound economic model, which has union employees, which delivers mail across the street in Washington DC and down a long dirt road in Podunk.

Obviously it killed Congress too, so they threw a budget buster into the post office. Could that be because for some inexplicable reason some in Congress want to kill the post office?

Nader explains how the Postal Service has overpaid into the Civil Service Retirement System (CSRS) by as much as $75 billion, as well as overpaying into the Federal Employees Retirement System (FERS) by about $6.8 billion (as of FY 2009). Combined, these overpayments amount to about $82 billion. If a significant portion of these overpayments were returned to the Postal Service, the crisis would vanish in a flash.

In addition, the 2006 Postal Accountability and Enhancement Act (PAEA) is causing most of the current “crisis” by requiring employees to pay over $5 billion each year into a fund that will pay for future health benefits of retirees of the next 75 years. “This is something that no other government or private corporation is required to do and is an incredibly unreasonable burden,” writes Nader.

Novaheart
01-24-2012, 11:06 AM
I mean dam, none of the companies I worked for actually saved any money for our retirement funds, .........

Which companies?

AmPat
01-24-2012, 11:14 AM
Their should be no unions in any government jobs anywhere at any level!

I agree. Furthermore, taxpayer dollars should never be used to prop up these dying behemoths that have outgrown their usefulness. Unions need to go the way of the dinosaurs.

O Blah Blah and his idiot minions have been handing the DIMoRAT voting unions our money to buy their influence and votes.

AmPat
01-24-2012, 11:23 AM
Just kills you doesn't it? There is a government agency, constitutionally grounded, which operates without tax subsidy, which operates in a sound economic model, which has union employees, which delivers mail across the street in Washington DC and down a long dirt road in Podunk.

Obviously it killed Congress too, so they threw a budget buster into the post office. Could that be because for some inexplicable reason some in Congress want to kill the post office?

Nader explains how the Postal Service has overpaid into the Civil Service Retirement System (CSRS) by as much as $75 billion, as well as overpaying into the Federal Employees Retirement System (FERS) by about $6.8 billion (as of FY 2009). Combined, these overpayments amount to about $82 billion. If a significant portion of these overpayments were returned to the Postal Service, the crisis would vanish in a flash.

In addition, the 2006 Postal Accountability and Enhancement Act (PAEA) is causing most of the current “crisis” by requiring employees to pay over $5 billion each year into a fund that will pay for future health benefits of retirees of the next 75 years. “This is something that no other government or private corporation is required to do and is an incredibly unreasonable burden,” writes Nader.
Lemme see if my crap-o-meter can sort this out:
You are saying that the Post Office cannot manage their funds and habitually overpay retirement funds,
they pay into a fund that shouldn't be required due to MASSIVE oversight by a MASSIVE government,
They cannot make a profit due to that same MASSIVE government's restrictive and unnecessary regulations,
AND,
private industries that perform the same services much better than the P.O. have MASSIVE government regulations to wade through yet offer retirement plans, health insurance, and profits.

Sure, what's not to like about this government boondoggle?