PDA

View Full Version : March For Life

JB
01-23-2012, 09:09 PM
Anti-abortion protesters march in Washington on Roe v. Wade anniversary
WASHINGTON Neither cold temperatures nor pouring rain seemed to dampen the spirits of the tens of thousands who gathered for the annual March for Life in Washington on Monday. The march serves as an annual pro-life response to the anniversary of Roe v. Wade, the Supreme Court's landmark decision legalizing abortion in the U.S.

Pro-choice supporters acknowledge their opponents' success and call it cause for alarm. Nancy Keenan, president of NARAL Pro-Choice America, calls pro-life advances at the state level a threat to freedom of choice.

Noting roughly 70 pro-life measures passed across the country in 2011, Keenan told supporters, "Last year we predicted that our opponents would ignore the public's call to focus on immediate challenges, including the economy, and instead launch an all-out war against women.

"Sadly, our predictions came true at near record levels," she said.

According to Americans United for Life, more than 460 measures were considered in 47 states last year. The group predicts another heavy round of legislative activity this year.Sounds like some people still consider it an important issue.
On Monday, young people were a large percentage of the marchers. Groups bearing banners from high schools, colleges, even law schools joined the thousands who walked.
Outstanding.

<portions snipped> from this link (http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2012/01/23/abortion-protesters-march-on-roe-v-wade-anniversary/)

There was nothing about this on the Yahoo front page, which doesn't surprise me because they are scumbags. And there was nothing on the front page of the philly papers website, which doesn't surprise me because they are liberal pukes also. The radio said attendance was 100,000+ but I have no idea if that is true. And I haven't seen any overhead pics yet.

Hawkgirl
01-23-2012, 10:53 PM
Anti-abortion protesters march in Washington on Roe v. Wade anniversarySounds like some people still consider it an important issue.Outstanding.

It is an important issue....it may not be a top issue for the presidential candidates but it is for most of us pro-lifers.
Ron Paul made an interesting comment about the issue when he was debating Santorum during the S. Carolina debate. Santorum stated that it is a federal issue while Paul said it should be a state issue. He stated that if someone challenges Roe v Wade in court on the state level it may eventually be overtuned...but challenging it on a federal level is close to impossible. Is there any truth to that?

fettpett
01-23-2012, 11:09 PM
It is an important issue....it may not be a top issue for the presidential candidates but it is for most of us pro-lifers.
Ron Paul made an interesting comment about the issue when he was debating Santorum during the S. Carolina debate. Santorum stated that it is a federal issue while Paul said it should be a state issue. He stated that if someone challenges Roe v Wade in court on the state level it may eventually be overtuned...but challenging it on a federal level is close to impossible. Is there any truth to that?

Paul was correct. It was a State issue until Roe v. Wade, there were no issues with abortion till them, you had your occasional death and 'evil ' doctor performing them in the back of a garage, but nothing like today.

It's possible that it would work, but I think the best way to handle it is to just face it straight on. It was bad ruling that should be overturned just for the stupidity of the ruling alone, not what the consequences are for individuals. Turn it into law, not judicial fiat