PDA

View Full Version : Skype

namvet
01-26-2012, 08:40 PM
I was wondering if anyone has this. video chating. its freeware so all you need is a webcam and mic. and a lot of webcams have the mic installed. seems to be popular.
Im thinking of getting it but wanted to see if anyone here has it and how it works for you

Skype link (http://www.skype.com/intl/en-us/features/allfeatures/vi)

or if you have something else let me know.

issues??? :D

FcN08Tg3PWw

SarasotaRepub
01-26-2012, 08:45 PM
Ha! I had seen that a week or so ago. :D

We use Skype to vidchat with the grandkids and others.

namvet
01-26-2012, 08:48 PM
Ha! I had seen that a week or so ago. :D

We use Skype to vidchat with the grandkids and others.

ok any issues or problems???

SarasotaRepub
01-26-2012, 08:54 PM
ok any issues or problems???

No issues, it's pretty solid. Works best of course with a fast connection.

When we've talked to Sonnabend in AussieLand it sounded like he was next door. It's supported by our board software too. You can turn support on/off. :thumbsup:

namvet
01-26-2012, 08:56 PM

When we've talked to Sonnabend in AussieLand it sounded like he was next door. It's supported by our board software too. You can turn support on/off. :thumbsup:

cool. yeah I see you have it under you avatar.

Novaheart
01-26-2012, 09:13 PM
I was wondering if anyone has this. video chating.

It's very cool, but a little sensitive to internet speed variations.

I have used Skype to chat with my cousin in Austria and it performed beautifully. I could see the cracks in the paint on the wall across the room. That was Mac to PC. I have also used Skype from my Samsung Galaxy S II to my friend's inexpensive tablet with less than fabulous results. My niece on her Galaxy and me on mine, from room to room in the same house worked well, but with a slight delay from real time.

namvet
01-26-2012, 09:20 PM
It's very cool, but a little sensitive to internet speed variations.

I have used Skype to chat with my cousin in Austria and it performed beautifully. I could see the cracks in the paint on the wall across the room. That was Mac to PC. I have also used Skype from my Samsung Galaxy S II to my friend's inexpensive tablet with less than fabulous results. My niece on her Galaxy and me on mine, from room to room in the same house worked well, but with a slight delay from real time.

thanks Novaheart. ive posted on some other forums and got some really positive hits. guess ill go webcam shopping tomorrow. I suppose there no issues connecting them together. well, maybe getting my friends to buy into it........:D

Apocalypse
01-26-2012, 09:43 PM
I have skype, but don't do the vid link. You can use it for text messaging too like yahoo chat or msm chat. Much more stable then those two and nice feature is they will save the entire converse if you want to look back at who said what and when they said it.

I use it a lot for online gaming where it comes in very handy.

RobJohnson
01-26-2012, 09:53 PM
My mother keeps asking me to set this up on her computer so she can chat with family in Illinois. I just finished the download. Now I can resume my normal plans for the day...:D

namvet
01-26-2012, 09:53 PM
I have skype, but don't do the vid link. You can use it for text messaging too like yahoo chat or msm chat. Much more stable then those two and nice feature is they will save the entire converse if you want to look back at who said what and when they said it.

I use it a lot for online gaming where it comes in very handy.

didn't know that. thank you. I got a vet I served with who lives in Thailand im hoping to connect with him

fettpett
01-26-2012, 10:10 PM
I've used it for years, though more the IM than the video.

namvet
01-26-2012, 10:25 PM
thank you all. I guess just about any webcam will work. hope im online tomorrow.

Articulate_Ape
01-26-2012, 10:39 PM
I use Skype for both personal and business. Between the two I now save about $3000/year in phone costs. It is very reliable, although there are minor and rare hiccups in connections. It's free for Skype to Skype calls almost anywhere in the world and global Skype to landline calling is a flat $12/mo.

namvet
01-26-2012, 10:41 PM
I use Skype for both personal and business. Between the two I now save about $3000/year in phone costs. It is very reliable, although there are minor and rare hiccups in connections. It's free for Skype to Skype calls almost anywhere in the world and global Skype to landline calling is a flat $12/mo.

damned. everone's got it but me !!!!

Articulate_Ape
01-26-2012, 10:42 PM
damned. everone's got it but me !!!!

Yeah. What the hell's wrong with you anyway? :p

namvet
01-26-2012, 10:48 PM
Yeah. What the hell's wrong with you anyway? :p

no shit. miss the boat here. well standby world here come's ugly face :D

Kay
01-26-2012, 10:54 PM

Yes it's great, we use it too. But everybody in my circle has an IPhone now, and we've pretty much moved to using Face Time through our phones rather than Skype. Of course the picture is much smaller on a hand held than computer.

RobJohnson
01-27-2012, 04:07 AM
Yes it's great, we use it too. But everybody in my circle has an IPhone now, and we've pretty much moved to using Face Time through our phones rather than Skype. Of course the picture is much smaller on a hand held than computer.

There is no way I am ever going to teach my mom how to use a smart phone!

She better be happy with Skype!

SarasotaRepub
01-27-2012, 09:23 AM
There is no way I am ever going to teach my mom how to use a smart phone!

She better be happy with Skype!

You'd be surprised Rob, SLW and I were at some presentation at the St.Louis Zoo years ago and there was this way older lady pounding away at her iPhone...:D

Nubs
01-27-2012, 11:13 AM
I've used Skype for 2 years now. It does not work for sh*t on a netbook w/ limited ram. I have used it recently for interviews in France and Australia. Works well.

Retread
01-27-2012, 01:20 PM
We skype'd with the grandson for quite a while but have put it away for Google + vid chat hangout. Much more stable, don't have to sit by the machine and wait for a call and avoid outside interjections.

Quality of picture is completely dependent on the webcam on the other end.

namvet
01-27-2012, 01:52 PM
well i just got my cam.

http://www.microsoft.com/hardware/_base_v1/products/lifecam-studio/ic_lcst_large.jpg

Microsoft LifeCam Studio 1080p USB HD Webcam Q2F-00001. good reviews from the so called experts as well as cutomer surveys. now i just have to see how it connects to Skype

57 bucks at walmart. bestbuy wanted 99

SarasotaRepub
01-27-2012, 05:18 PM
well i just got my cam.

http://www.microsoft.com/hardware/_base_v1/products/lifecam-studio/ic_lcst_large.jpg

Microsoft LifeCam Studio 1080p USB HD Webcam Q2F-00001. good reviews from the so called experts as well as cutomer surveys. now i just have to see how it connects to Skype

57 bucks at walmart. bestbuy wanted 99

Eeeeeeeevill WalMart??? :eek::thumbsup:

namvet
01-27-2012, 05:31 PM
just got it all set up. talk to a pal of mine in seattle. hot damned !!!!!

Apocalypse
01-27-2012, 10:34 PM
just got it all set up. talk to a pal of mine in seattle. hot damned !!!!!

:applause::applause::applause: Welcome to the 21st century!

namvet
01-27-2012, 10:53 PM
I also did a vid chat with SarasotaRepub. so i went coast to coast. you'll note he and I have skype icons under our avatars.

RobJohnson
01-28-2012, 03:27 AM
You'd be surprised Rob, SLW and I were at some presentation at the St.Louis Zoo years ago and there was this way older lady pounding away at her iPhone...:D

I'm sure she could do it....if I had the patience! :D

hai
01-29-2012, 09:31 PM
I'm on yahoo Messenger

namvet
01-30-2012, 11:18 PM
so far I have 18 online. im going to help a former marine I know who served with 101st in Nam set his up.

Articulate_Ape
01-30-2012, 11:53 PM
I'm on yahoo Messenger

Keep your sexual orientation to yourself.

hai
01-31-2012, 02:46 PM
Keep your sexual orientation to yourself.

Dude, it's this thing.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yahoo!_Messenger

SarasotaRepub
02-02-2012, 07:23 PM
I picked up a new HD WebCam for SaintLouieWoman today, I'll use the old HP Ball Cam.
We talk to the grandkids on her laptop so it's better used there.

What a friggen difference in the pic quality of the new 720p HD cam!!

http://www.funmezia.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/11/logitech_hd_webcam.jpg

Only $29.99!!

namvet
02-02-2012, 07:27 PM
I picked up a new HD WebCam for SaintLouieWoman today, I'll use the old HP Ball Cam.
We talk to the grandkids on her laptop so it's better used there.

What a friggen difference in the pic quality of the new 720p HD cam!!

http://www.funmezia.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/11/logitech_hd_webcam.jpg

Only $29.99!!

that's great. now i don't have to wait for you to switch it all over. nice lookin' cam

SarasotaRepub
02-02-2012, 07:40 PM
that's great. now i don't have to wait for you to switch it all over. nice lookin' cam

Yeah the thing was on sale over at Best Buy for $29 and I had bought it at OfficeMax for $39. She made me take it back but they did give me the 10 buc difference at OfficeMax after I showed them the ad.
:D

namvet
02-02-2012, 07:43 PM
Yeah the thing was on sale over at Best Buy for $29 and I had bought it at OfficeMax for $39. She made me take it back but they did give me the 10 buc difference at OfficeMax after I showed them the ad.
:D

pays to shop. I also look at cutomer reviews to see if any one problem is predominate