PDA

View Full Version : There is NO "forced" Union membership.

SarasotaRepub
01-27-2012, 09:54 AM
Another Brain Surgeon DUmmie!!!! (http://www.democraticunderground.com/1002222167)

Wed Jan 25, 2012, 08:31 PM
BiggJawn

There is NO "forced" Union membership.

Last edited Wed Jan 25, 2012, 08:35 PM USA/ET - Edit history (3) (http://www.democraticunderground.com/?com=view_post&forum=1002&pid=222167#edits)
People get things mixed up. I think the erroneous assumption that you can be "forced" to join a Union in your workplace may have contributed to Indiana becoming the newest participant in the slide to The Bottom.

The way it used to be, you hired into a place with a Union, you had the choice to join the Union and become a card-carrying member or not join the Union.

Now, the Union is required by law to represent ALL employees in the shop, member or not. You don't belong to the Union, doesn't matter, you get the SAME pay and benefits as the other guys in your gang who are members. Also, when you come back from lunch drunk, the Union has to go fight for your job, too.

The way this worked is, if you were, for some damn stupid reason, philosophically opposed to belonging to a Union, you didn't have to carry a card. what you DID have to do, however, is pay for your representation. They go to bat for you, they bargain for benefits and safety equipment, and defend your job (important in an "Employment-at-Will state like Indiana) Isn't it only fair that you pay your share of this?

Now under the soon-to-become-law "Right-to-Work" law, you don't have to pay for your representation. you get ALL the benefits of Union membership and it won't cost you one Gawd-damn DIME! happy days! You get to FREELOAD off your co-workers who belong to the Union. Pretty soon, Union membership starts to drop. Might even come to the point where a motion to disband passes 4-1 (yeah, only 5 dues-paying members left) and you're working in a 100% union-FREE shop. So comes the day when the workforce is about 1% union in the state.

Without the threat of employees organizing a union, what's going to keep the bosses from cutting pay and making working conditions less pleasant? Hmmm?

I can't believe anybody who calls themselves a Democrat would support something like "Right-to-Work"(for less)

Other DUmmies "correct" him/her...:D

AmPat
01-27-2012, 11:28 AM
I can't believe anybody who calls themselves a Democrat would support something like "Right-to-Work"(for less) I know, right? Imagine a DimRat supporting any rights. Preposterous!

djones520
01-27-2012, 11:31 AM
Really? I seem to recall a teacher of mine in highschool telling me that you were forced to join the teachers union if you wished to be a public school teacher in that state.

So if I wanted to help shape the future of children through education, I would be forced to join a union against my will.

AmPat
01-27-2012, 11:45 AM
Really? I seem to recall a teacher of mine in highschool telling me that you were forced to join the teachers union if you wished to be a public school teacher in that state.

So if I wanted to help shape the future of children through education, I would be forced to join a union against my will.

The option for me in the Great State of TN was join the union or pay for my own insurance and bonding. Since they paid so well, I was forced to join if I wanted the job. The other two GOPers in the entire system opted out and paid their own after the union recognized gay unions for insurance.

BadCat
01-27-2012, 11:49 AM

There was a teacher on Fox & Friends the other day who had refused to join the teachers union. He was working, but he received a bill from the union stating that he owed them a bunch of money because he was benefiting from their work. They also told him to not even TRY to fight them in court.

JB
01-27-2012, 08:30 PM
Also, when you come back from lunch drunk, the Union has to go fight for your job, too. I'm in the twilight zone. And not one DUmmy commented on this.

Wouldn't it be best if a person just stayed sober while on the job? Is this too hard of a concept to grasp? If you come back from lunch drunk, don't come back. That's all there is to it.

And we're talking about union work here. Which, by its nature, implies trades. Building buildings. Pouring concrete. Wiring homes or businesses. Driving the streets and highways. Shouldn't these be the last guys drinking on the job? WTF. Is being drunk on the job really a big issue for unions???