PDA

View Full Version : So I'm Grabbing Some Cheese At The Grocery Store...

Carol
01-28-2012, 09:19 AM
link (http://www.democraticunderground.com/1002232263)

JFN1 (1,814 posts) Profile Journal Send DU Mail Ignore

So I'm Grabbing Some Cheese At The Grocery Store...
...for grilled cheese and tomato soup (yumm!) for dinner tonight. I'm in a rather sagacious mood, one of those moods in which many things strike me as funny, when normally, they probably would not - which usually leads to many, many bad jokes issuing from my freely flapping gums.

At the checkout I am cheerfully greeted by a middle-aged woman, who scans my few items and pleasantly reports the total. As I am digging through my pocket for change, I notice a "Vote Newt" button on her shirt, peeking out from behind her checker's vest/smock/whatever the hell it is. I hand over my bills and change and almost - almost - ask her if she plans to vote for Mittens - I had a whole routine worked out, along classic "Who's on first?" lines. But somehow, with truly heroic effort, I manage to restrain myself and say nothing.

I grab my bag 'o groceries, and as I turn to leave, the checker calls over my shoulder, "Have a blessed evening!"

Sigh.

The words echo through my skull, and for some reason I instantly think about Tebow's "blessed" football season, and the bible verse he had displayed as part of his uniform in Denver's last (losing) game of the season (ah, the hilarious irony...).

For the record - I am not against anyone having their religion. Really. I do, however, resent having someone else's religion jammed down my throat - I don't like being used in that way. It bugs me. A lot.

And given my mood (smart-ass meter off the scale), before I can muster the discipline to stop myself, I turn, smile broadly at the woman as I catch her eyes, and say, sweetly, "And Satan be with you," then turn, groceries in hand, and head out the door.

As I am leaving, the woman, in a voice decidedly not so pleasant now, loudly calls after me, "What did you say?" And then just as loudly and even more unpleasantly, I hear her ask someone else (I don't know who), "Did you hear what he just said to me?" I am trying so hard not to giggle out loud as I hit the parking lot. Almost made it, too...

I know...I know...and even if I regret the immaturity and lack of discipline which allowed it...man, that was freakin' fun...the look on her face...priceless...I know, I'm so bad...I wonder if she'll be praying for me tonight...So she's soooo offended by someone saying something to her that is meant as a blessing that she has to turn around and say something that would be generally construed as a curse.

And she's proud of herself.

Most DUers criticize her, but not all.

quinnox (11,259 posts) Profile Journal Send DU Mail Ignore
15. no offense, but if I had been there

View profile
and witnessed the scene, I would have said "What a creep" or "What a weirdo".
Who cares if she has different politics than you, she was just trying to be nice in her own way.

I don't get what was so funny about it, acting in this manner.
JFN1 (1,814 posts) Profile Journal Send DU Mail Ignore
54. Sorry, but she was not simply wishing me well.

View profile
"Have a nice day" is wishing somebody well.

She was, in my opinion (I was there), using me as a means to feel good about her religiosity or spirituality or faith - by INTRUSIVELY interjecting her religious beliefs in an overt and conscious fashion upon my being.

Why would she do this? Simply put, because it makes her feel good about her religion, it makes her feel pious, it calls attention to her "awesome purity," and it puts pressure on the receiver to offer a similarly pious response...a warming glow...a positive opinion about her level of belief...etc.

In effect, it is an ego boost for her - at mine and everyone else's expense- that she "blesses." It has NOTHING to do with me - it is ALL about her. Period.

And that is the bottom line. If she is simply trying to wish me well, there are plenty of traditional ways to do this.

But that was not her goal, it was an overtly religious invocation which I, for one, am about fed up with tolerating...wishing me well, yeah, right...

xfundy (1,522 posts) Profile Journal Send DU Mail Ignore
64. Wow, so much misdirected rage at the OP.

View profile
I, too, dislike it immensely when someone assumes I want anything to do with their religion, which, IMO, this "blessing" comes down to--proselytizing.

I've found it amusing to have a verse or two on hand to toss back at these people. (SkepticsAnnotatedBible.com will come in handy here.) For example, "Oh, Micah 1:8's on the calendar today!" The fundie or otherwise ignorant individual will think, "Isn't that sweet!" and go on with her day. In the unlikely event she asks for an explanation, tell her to look it up. Most likely, she will forget or not care enough to write it down, much less look it up, as she's probably most interested in appearing pious, rather than actually giving a shit about another person in the world.

And in the event she does look it up, she can have a good laugh or curse me (as if I care), as the verse reads:

"Therefore I will wail and howl, I will go stripped and naked: I will make a wailing like the dragons, and mourning as the owls." (Micah 1:8)

Does this make me a bad person? Should I care?

No and NO. These outwardly pious types would kill to be next to let me know I'm headed straight to hell, for being a librul, unchurched (trust me, I had enough to last several lifetimes), demoncrat, homo-sekshul. They've decided it's not enough for their hate-filled "god" to punish me after death; they want to make sure life on Earth is hell for us, too. Ska-rooo them.

boppers (15,314 posts) Profile Journal Send DU Mail Ignore
66. Christians just don't understand Satanism.

View profile
It confuses them.

So, for all the Christians/whatever who might encounter this post, a primer:
Modern Satanism is hedonistic humanism.

No god, no satan, no superheroes, no supervillians. It's a form of atheism for folks who like to troll (harass, provoke, insult) others, by mockery.

Rituals still exist because they're fun, but Satanism isn't about believing in the ritual, and the extant books are filled with in-jokes related to said trolling. (Sperm wafers and ritual sex? Who would believe such crap? Oh, maybe the same folks who believed in talking snakes, virgin birth, burning bushes, global floods, etc.)

Satanists don't wear pentagrams because they worship Baphomet, they wear pentagrams because it'll freak you out.

They don't invert crosses to worship Satan, they invert them because they know Jesus and Satan and God and the Tooth Fairy are all just as equally real, and confronting you with this knowledge will freak you out.

Since others have brought up Wicca, it's not related.

At all.

Wicca believes in things.

SarasotaRepub
01-28-2012, 09:34 AM
Most likely a :bounce: and/or the drugs kicking in.:rolleyes:

FlaGator
01-28-2012, 08:59 PM
From the original Greek, one of the meanings of bless is happy. This woman is upset that someone wished her a happy day.

On a side note (and this explains a lot), our word for sinister comes from the word sinistra which in Greek means left.

JB
01-28-2012, 09:18 PM
For someone so almighty and pretentious you'd think they'd know whether it was a vest or smock.

And to all the DUmmies that think they are being Blessed when someone says "have a blessed day", fret not, you are not being Blessed.

The laity are unable to bless people.

Articulate_Ape
01-28-2012, 10:07 PM
Boy, that's one of of those proud moments one tells the grandchildren when you are bouncing (pardon the pun) them on your knee. Even if it was true, it takes a complete jackass to offend someone in that way. And everyone here knows that I know what I'm talking about.

fettpett
01-29-2012, 01:33 AM
douchebag through and through

Also, this idiot doesn't understand Satanism at all. They believe in Satan, yes it's humanism at it's core, but that doesn't mean they, or at lest the hierarchy, disavow the exsistance of Satan or God.

Novaheart
01-29-2012, 01:57 AM
There was a woman sitting on a chair ringing that damned bell for the Salvation Army last year outside Publix. Why stores allow this, I do not know. It annoys me to have to negotiate these people- I don't like being talked to by strangers; if I am going somewhere I usually have something else on my mind and it's an interruption.

Anyway.... when I ignored the Salvation Army woman, she yelled after me something inappropriate like "Praise Jesus" or "Jesus bless you." It was directed at me because I didn't give her any money. So I turned around and told her to go to Hell. This year, she remembered me, and I was really sweet to her, just to mess with her mind. I still didn't give her any money. Salvation Army is a trashy bunch.

Odysseus
01-29-2012, 02:17 AM
So, if the OP sneezed, and somebody said "bless you," that would justify a vicious response? This clown is completely delusional, but we've come to expect this from DU.

Some of these comments are so clueless that you have to wonder how these idiots feed themselves. I don't mean how they work and afford food, I mean how they can coordinate getting a utensil from a plate to their mouths.

PassingFair
236. Ahem. People on this thread are claiming...

that this is NOT a Christian blessing.

And SO WHAT if the mere mention of another religion is "an over the top insult" to a "Christian"?

Pfffflllttt!

lunasun
235. how was the reply hateful??/? becuz you equal Satan with hate???

shows the bias right up front when one decides mentioning Satan is 'hateful' from the get go but God bless you is 'good' always...........

How can these idiots not understand that in Christianity, Satan is the embodiment of evil? That Satanism isn't simply "another religion", but a deliberate worship of evil as defined by Christianity? This, BTW, also means that Satanists acknowledge, at least tacitly, the Christian order, but that they are seeking to invert it. Again, not a lot of thought or knowledge there. But, regardless, the real point of this is that offering a Christian (or a Jew or Muslim) Satan's company, saying "May Satan be with you", means literally telling them to go to Hell. There's nothing civil or pleasant about that.

FlaGator
01-29-2012, 01:02 PM
For someone so almighty and pretentious you'd think they'd know whether it was a vest or smock.

And to all the DUmmies that think they are being Blessed when someone says "have a blessed day", fret not, you are not being Blessed.

The laity are unable to bless people.

Not completely true. In the Anglican Church the laity who server as Eucharist Ministers and Lay Readers are able to bless people (but not the bread and wine) when they are executing their duties during Communion and at other special times.

Novaheart
01-29-2012, 01:21 PM
So, if the OP sneezed, and somebody said "bless you," that would justify a vicious response? This clown is completely delusional, but we've come to expect this from DU.

Some of these comments are so clueless that you have to wonder how these idiots feed themselves. I don't mean how they work and afford food, I mean how they can coordinate getting a utensil from a plate to their mouths.

PassingFair
236. Ahem. People on this thread are claiming...

that this is NOT a Christian blessing.

And SO WHAT if the mere mention of another religion is "an over the top insult" to a "Christian"?

Pfffflllttt!

lunasun
235. how was the reply hateful??/? becuz you equal Satan with hate???

shows the bias right up front when one decides mentioning Satan is 'hateful' from the get go but God bless you is 'good' always...........

How can these idiots not understand that in Christianity, Satan is the embodiment of evil? That Satanism isn't simply "another religion", but a deliberate worship of evil as defined by Christianity? This, BTW, also means that Satanists acknowledge, at least tacitly, the Christian order, but that they are seeking to invert it. Again, not a lot of thought or knowledge there. But, regardless, the real point of this is that offering a Christian (or a Jew or Muslim) Satan's company, saying "May Satan be with you", means literally telling them to go to Hell. There's nothing civil or pleasant about that.

Your explanation is sound, but I don't think it counters the belief of myself and others that blessing a stranger is rude. Saying "bless you" when someone sneezes is inarguably superstitious and pagan with a thin coat of Christianity only because Christianity is so omnipresent in our culture. We interpret the "bless you" to be short for "God bless you." because it is. When nearly everyone in the country was at least nominally Christian, your chances of offending someone were less. Things change, and it has become socially unacceptable to assume that another person is a member of a certain religion without being told specifically it is so.

If I assumed that everyone who "looks Jewish" was indeed Jewish and were to offer some Yiddish salutation or comment as they passed through my presence, it would probably offend both those who are and aren't Jewish. Would it not?

AmPat
01-29-2012, 04:54 PM
I didn't even read it. The "story" started with the typical DUmmy intro, "SO." That automatically places it in the fantasy column.

I noticed that we have three posts from the DUmp that begin with "SO" today.:rolleyes:
Can these retards begin a sentence any other way?

Rockntractor
01-29-2012, 04:58 PM
I didn't even read it. The "story" started with the typical DUmmy intro, "SO." That automatically places it in the fantasy column.

I noticed that we have three posts from the DUmp that begin with "SO" today.:rolleyes:
Can these retards begin a sentence any other way?

and or well

JB
01-29-2012, 05:01 PM
Not completely true. In the Anglican Church the laity who server as Eucharist Ministers and Lay Readers are able to bless people (but not the bread and wine) when they are executing their duties during Communion and at other special times.OK, I was talking about the laity where I come from. :D

And we call them Extraordinary Ministers as the priest is the Ordinary Minister.

By the way:
On a side note (and this explains a lot), our word for sinister comes from the word sinistra which in Greek means left. I was meaning to comment on this....Excellent.

Novaheart
01-29-2012, 05:16 PM
and or well

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/e/e7/Stevie_Nicks_2.jpg/200px-Stevie_Nicks_2.jpg

AmPat
01-29-2012, 05:38 PM
Your explanation is sound, but I don't think it counters the belief of myself and others that blessing a stranger is rude. Saying "bless you" when someone sneezes is inarguably superstitious and pagan with a thin coat of Christianity only because Christianity is so omnipresent in our culture. We interpret the "bless you" to be short for "God bless you." because it is. When nearly everyone in the country was at least nominally Christian, your chances of offending someone were less. Things change, and it has become socially unacceptable to assume that another person is a member of a certain religion without being told specifically it is so.

If I assumed that everyone who "looks Jewish" was indeed Jewish and were to offer some Yiddish salutation or comment as they passed through my presence, it would probably offend both those who are and aren't Jewish. Would it not?

What a bunch of CRAP. If somebody is saying Bless You, they are wishing you well no matter how stupid you are. If they said Have a great day, is that offensive? NO! You are being a leftist turd and a philosophical, anti-Christ/Anti-God snob. If I knew that those words offended you, I would double down just to piss you off.;)

Odysseus
01-29-2012, 07:06 PM

So, if I were to say "Gesundheit" instead of "Bless you" it would offend my hook-nosed, but otherwise goyisher friends? Not buying that. And, let's remember that the critical thing here is intent. Even if the original intent of the phrase "bless you" after a sneeze is superstition (the blessing was meant to protect the sneezer against the loss of his soul during the sneeze), it is still meant in a benign way. The counter woman was trying to be pleasant, and did not mean to offend. There is no way to spin the conduct of the OP as anything other than being deliberately rude.

AmPat
01-30-2012, 10:17 AM
So, if I were to say "Gesundheit" instead of "Bless you" it would offend my hook-nosed, but otherwise goyisher friends? Not buying that. And, let's remember that the critical thing here is intent. Even if the original intent of the phrase "bless you" after a sneeze is superstition (the blessing was meant to protect the sneezer against the loss of his soul during the sneeze), it is still meant in a benign way. The counter woman was trying to be pleasant, and did not mean to offend. There is no way to spin the conduct of the OP as anything other than being deliberately rude.
Meh ODY, kindness to a lib is relative. Pureed baby in the womb is kindness most high to a lib, saying Bless you is rude.:cool:

BadCat
01-30-2012, 10:23 AM

Well then FUCK YOU, May everything you love and care about die a horrid death right before you do.

Feel better now, asswipe?

NJCardFan
01-30-2012, 12:15 PM
There was a woman sitting on a chair ringing that damned bell for the Salvation Army last year outside Publix. Why stores allow this, I do not know. It annoys me to have to negotiate these people- I don't like being talked to by strangers; if I am going somewhere I usually have something else on my mind and it's an interruption.

Anyway.... when I ignored the Salvation Army woman, she yelled after me something inappropriate like "Praise Jesus" or "Jesus bless you." It was directed at me because I didn't give her any money. So I turned around and told her to go to Hell. This year, she remembered me, and I was really sweet to her, just to mess with her mind. I still didn't give her any money. Salvation Army is a trashy bunch.

Yeah, a real trashy bunch those doo gooders who enlist volunteers(read: people who sit outside of these stores for hours on end for nothing) so that they might get a few bucks from assholes like you so they can do trashy things like help out someone who's down on their luck. Nova, you are a douchebag if there ever was one.

michaelsean
01-30-2012, 12:16 PM
It's funny how the few morons on the thread ask if it would be ok if it were reversed and the checker were a satanist and said 'Satan bless you". Satanists are atheists and believe in neither God or Satan.

BadCat
01-30-2012, 12:23 PM
It's funny how the few morons on the thread ask if it would be ok if it were reversed and the checker were a satanist and said 'Satan bless you". Satanists are atheists and believe in neither God or Satan.

Huh? Satanists don't believe in Satan?

noonwitch
01-30-2012, 12:50 PM
douchebag through and through

Also, this idiot doesn't understand Satanism at all. They believe in Satan, yes it's humanism at it's core, but that doesn't mean they, or at lest the hierarchy, disavow the exsistance of Satan or God.

I used to deal with teenaged Satan worshippers frequently when I was a delinquency worker, and put them in three categories:

1. Kids who want to piss off their born again christian parents
2. Kids who are going along with a negative peer group because it seems cool
and
3. True believers, who often have psychiatric diagnoses.

Odysseus
01-30-2012, 01:02 PM
I used to deal with teenaged Satan worshippers frequently when I was a delinquency worker, and put them in three categories:

1. Kids who want to piss off their born again christian parents
2. Kids who are going along with a negative peer group because it seems cool
and
3. True believers, who often have psychiatric diagnoses.

Sounds remarkably like most DU members.

Novaheart
01-30-2012, 01:30 PM
Yeah, a real trashy bunch those doo gooders who enlist volunteers(read: people who sit outside of these stores for hours on end for nothing) so that they might get a few bucks from assholes like you so they can do trashy things like help out someone who's down on their luck. Nova, you are a douchebag if there ever was one.

You have an optimistic view of the Salvation Army and its employees. This church doesn't merely have critics in those it inexplicably chooses to take political sides against, it's suspect as a charity. The bell ringers are not all volunteers, many are paid. The SA uses donated money for political purposes as well.

All that aside, I really don't like any of the people outside stores bothering me on my way in and out. It's rude. Years ago in San Francisco, it got to the point where every street corner was a gauntlet for the passerby, a line of beggars mixed with charities, political organizations, and people handing out handbills. Enough. Leave people alone. We're all literate and capable of finding our own goods and services, charities and politics.

SarasotaRepub
01-30-2012, 01:39 PM
As a rule I don't like people bugging me for $$$ when I leave a place either but I make an exception for the SA cause I know they piss off the Libs. :p:p:D

Novaheart
01-30-2012, 01:45 PM
As a rule I don't like people bugging me for $$$ when I leave a place either but I make an exception for the SA cause I know they piss off the Libs. :p:p:D

I make an exception for the VFW or American Legion whichever it is that sits outside Publix on Veterans Day. In the first place, I don't think that most people even know it's Veterans Day before they see these guys. Virtually no one goes to a parade or cemetery on Veterans Day anymore. But the Vets at least respect the space and privacy of the passersby. They don't call out to you, get in your face, sneer at you if you don't give them money, or say "Yeah, right" if you say you'll get them on the way out. Their's is a more dignified kind of solicitation. They also don't put a table at every door. One table by the main entrance.

These so-called churches and youth groups I have never heard are the ones which truly annoy. Although, with the Salvation Army, it's largely the bell ringing itself which annoys me. It's like having to listen to back-up beepers all day.

michaelsean
01-30-2012, 01:53 PM
Huh? Satanists don't believe in Satan?

No. I'm no expert so I'm sure this is really dumbed down, but for them Satan represents the opposition to the belief in God. It seems to be pretty much a group of people who believe they are way smarter than those who have been duped into believing in a god.

JB
01-30-2012, 07:42 PM
Although, with the Salvation Army, it's largely the bell ringing itself which annoys me. It's like having to listen to back-up beepers all day.WTF, how many different stores do you go into that this would actually be a problem?

You need to shop online more.

AmPat
01-31-2012, 09:59 AM
You have an optimistic view of the Salvation Army and its employees. This church doesn't merely have critics in those it inexplicably chooses to take political sides against, it's suspect as a charity. The bell ringers are not all volunteers, many are paid. The SA uses donated money for political purposes as well.

All that aside, I really don't like any of the people outside stores bothering me on my way in and out. It's rude. Years ago in San Francisco, it got to the point where every street corner was a gauntlet for the passerby, a line of beggars mixed with charities, political organizations, and people handing out handbills. Enough. Leave people alone. We're all literate and capable of finding our own goods and services, charities and politics.

I've never heard of a paid bell ringer. I know several of these people locally and none of them get paid nor do any of them know of any others that get paid. If there are paid SA members ringing the bell, so what? In this hypothetical situation, they would get paid for not ringing the bell as well. Perhaps you should get to know some of these volunteers before you go shooting your mouth off again.

Novaheart
01-31-2012, 12:22 PM
I know several of these people locally ....

Color me shocked.

AmPat
01-31-2012, 03:19 PM
Color me shocked.

I'd rather color you bruised.:cool: Now do you have anything pertinent to say or were you merely puffing out your bird chest again?