PDA

View Full Version : Galveston, Texas has been devastated by Hurricane IKE. What can we at DU do to help?

Sonnabend
09-14-2008, 05:48 AM
http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=132x7062520#7062531

Blue_Roses Donating Member (1000+ posts) Journal Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list Click to add this author to your Ignore list Sun Sep-14-08 02:52 AM
Original message
Galveston, Texas has been devastated by Hurricane IKE. What can we at DU do to help?

Advertisements [?]
Edited on Sun Sep-14-08 02:59 AM by Blue_Roses
Galveston is a special place to me personally. I used to spend summers there as a kid because this is where my grandparent's lived for more than 40 years. I even went back a couple of months ago to show my own kids the fun and heritage of their great-grand-parents love for the "island." But today, as I looked on at the many devastating reports of Hurricane Ike's furry, I saw a completely different Galveston. It's destroyed and the people are hurting. While my affections run deep for Galveston, there are MANY other areas affected by this monster storm as well.

Here is some footage of the devastation:

This was the Balinese Room:

I want to go down there and help out in any way I can, but no one can get in right now. I know those affected will need a lot of help, so anyone who has ideas of how we can get a relief effort started so we can help just PM me. It would be awesome .

So far five responses, and not one offer.

SeattleGirl Donating Member (1000+ posts) Journal Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list Click to add this author to your Ignore list Sun Sep-14-08 03:29 AM
Response to Reply #2
3. Yes, they are indeed. Updated at 2:59 AM

I'm sure the End Timers are celebrating, but as for me, I'm so sad that all these things (weather, job loss, etc.) are hitting us like this.

If we don't turn this around, I truly fear for us, even more than I already do.

Says the DUer at her computer.

ReaganForRus
09-14-2008, 10:01 AM
Sadly, Galveston, as we once knew it is gone. The island is closed to the outside world until further notice. It will take at least a decade to rebuild.:(

LibraryLady
09-14-2008, 10:03 AM
donate to charities of your choice.

Sonnabend
09-14-2008, 10:15 AM
It will take at least a decade to rebuild.

I think a lot less time than that.

Space Gravy
09-14-2008, 11:54 AM
What can DU do to help?

Follow through on the numerous promises to leave the Country would be a good start.

Ree
09-14-2008, 02:01 PM
Are they sendin pics of their hands yet?,,,,,I have my pic all ready to go...:rolleyes:

Speedy
09-14-2008, 02:10 PM
Sadly, Galveston, as we once knew it is gone. The island is closed to the outside world until further notice. It will take at least a decade to rebuild.:(

These ain't New Orleans, Pal! And the people that populate them parts will do it themselves. Two years, tops and Galveston will be back. We work in Texas and when disasters like this strike we send the Government packing as soon as the water recedes and lights come on. We do not need Government interlopers getting in the way of getting thigs done.

GrumpyOldLady
09-14-2008, 02:13 PM
What can DU do to help?
Follow through on the numerous promises to leave the Country would be a good start.

AMEN!! :D

Katiebug
09-14-2008, 02:28 PM

Doubtful. My brother lives in Galveston and he gives it 1.5-2 years and the island will look like Ike never hit. Tomorrow he's trying to get back on the island, will see if his car is where he left it and will start, then will survey the damage at his apartment.

This is reality of life on a barrier island, or in any coastal region where hurricanes can impact you - storms hit, you rebuild if necessary, and move on. If a person's not up for the risk, then there are plenty of other places to live.

SarasotaRepub
09-14-2008, 05:29 PM
What can the DUmmies do to help? Why blame Bu$hCo and the BFEE of course!
Stupid DUmmy. :rolleyes::D

MrsSmith
09-14-2008, 06:50 PM
Anyone want to burn a mole suggesting donations:

Disaster Relief Update - Sunday, September 14, 2008
"I will say of the LORD, 'He is my refuge and my fortress, my God, in whom I trust. (Psalm 91:2)"

Southern Baptists Disaster Relief (SBDR) volunteers continue to serve in the wake of Hurricane Ike's destruction that has led to the displacement of thousands living in the Texas coastal region. Baptists are already preparing hot meals in three locations—Marshall, Bryan and Kelly Field Annex.

More than 100 additional SBDR units are on their way to Texas, waiting for location assignments to be identified today and Monday.

"We're working with the state conventions in Texas and with our national partners to identify sites," said Mickey Caison, director of SBDR operations in Alpharetta, Ga. "We are looking at damage assessment reports coming from the state and counties to find viable areas where we can set up."

SBDR is working with American Red Cross officials to establish two "mega" feeding sites near Houston—one in League, the other in Baytown. Both sites will include four SBDR feeding units and will prepare up to 80,000 hot meals a day.

Caison said SBC DR feeding teams are committed to serve 250,000 meals a day for The American Red Cross and another 160,000 meals a day for The Salvation Army -- for a total commitment of 410,000 meals per day.

State units activated, en route, staging or on-site in Texas include:

Texas–SBTC
Texas–TBM
Virginia–SBCV
Virginia–VBMB
Louisiana
California
Florida
North Carolina
South Carolina
Arkansas
Alabama
Georgia
Michigan
Tennessee
Illinois
Arizona
Iowa
Kentucky
Mississippi
New Mexico
Northwest
Utah/Idaho

While attention has shifted to Hurricane Ike, disaster relief volunteers are still doing a mammoth job in Louisiana in the wake of Hurricane Gustav. See Gustav statistics below.

Volunteer Days ..........8,109
Meals Prepared........... 983,452
>>>snip

National Disaster Relief Leadership

Terry Henderson, National Disaster Relief Director
Mickey Caison, Disaster Operation Center Manager

To contact the Disaster Operations Center, call 1 888 462-8657 or e-mail dr_offsite@namb.net

:D:D