PDA

View Full Version : Allen West being redistricted out of existence

txradioguy
01-29-2012, 11:36 AM
The establishment is fighting back, alright.

This has not received a lot of national attention, but the Republican legislature in Florida is about to push through a plan which puts Allen West at serious risk, and the person leading the effort is one of Mitt Romney’s spokemen. As reported by The Shark Tank:

After last night’s [Jan. 26] Republican Presidential debate, the candidates’ respective spinmeisters made their cases to the media as to why their guy won the debate. One of Governor Mitt Romney’s spokesmen was Florida Representative Will Weatherford, and during the course of his remarks in the “Spin Room”, he shed a very dim light on the ongoing redistricting process in the Florida Legislature….

West’s congressional district inexplicably sheds the most out support as compared to all other incumbent Republican and Democrat Congressman. A few weeks back we quoted an unnamed legislator saying that, “Allen West was screwed”, a statement which was originally made about made five months before the purposed maps were made public, leading insiders to believe that the fix was in against Allen West. But in light of Weatherford’s comment, it is increasingly clear that this is a fait accompli.

According to Weatherford, those preliminary maps will not change- at the most, any additional changes would be minimal, and those changes would not make any appreciable difference from the preliminary maps. In addition, Weatherford stated that a deal was struck between him, Senate President Mike Haridopolos, and Senator Don Gaetz to finalize these maps and push them through as soon as possible.

Weatherford tried to hide behind a need to comply with federal law, but that’s obviously a dodge since there could have been many ways to comply yet not sacrifice West.

A website, SaveAllenWest, had been set up, but it appears to be too late.

One of the rising stars of the Tea Party is about to be sacrificed by the Republican establishment in Florida, led by someone spinning for Mitt Romney.

Don’t say you weren’t warned.

http://legalinsurrection.com/2012/01/allen-west-being-redistricted-out-of-existence-in-effort-led-by-romney-florida-spokesman/

Janice
01-29-2012, 11:44 AM
Whats not to love about our wonderful self appointed "masters" our "betters" in the GOP leadership? /s

Kay
01-29-2012, 12:44 PM
Alan West is one of the very few sane and well grounded people in politics today.
I have a feeling he won't just fade away quietly.

Janice
01-29-2012, 07:18 PM
Alan West is one of the very few sane and well grounded people in politics today.

I hope your right. But he is definitely not liberal enough for our GOP leadership so ... he must be "dealt with" at some point along the way. And what better way, while leaving "no finger prints"?

Apocalypse
01-29-2012, 07:54 PM
If he's knocked out, then maybe we can get him to be VP for who ever gets the ticket.

After this last night, I would vote for him.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o8YDnd1Yoyk

Kay
01-29-2012, 09:44 PM
He definitely needs to be part of the administration next year
regardless of who our new republican president ends up being.

Chuck58
01-29-2012, 09:57 PM
On another site, a poster said TEA party candidates are getting redistricted in a lot of places. West might not be the only one.

Mustn't buck the system. Just follow along like good little sheep. Never mind what your constituents think. They don't count.

noonwitch
01-30-2012, 04:31 PM
The MI GOP is trying to figure out a way to do that to Conyers, and eliminate congressional districts that have the majority of voters within the city of Detroit limits. There are two, currently:

Conyers' district, which is the west side of Detroit and some of the immediate western and downriver suburbs (Allen Park, Dearborn, etc). Hansen Clark replaced Kwame's mommy on the east side of Detroit, which also includes the eastern suburbs of the Grosse Pointes and Harper Woods.

I don't know how they can really justify it-population-wise, it might be more fair to make Detroit one congressional district and have the burbs absorbed by the districts they are already touching.

fettpett
01-30-2012, 06:41 PM
The MI GOP is trying to figure out a way to do that to Conyers, and eliminate congressional districts that have the majority of voters within the city of Detroit limits. There are two, currently:

Conyers' district, which is the west side of Detroit and some of the immediate western and downriver suburbs (Allen Park, Dearborn, etc). Hansen Clark replaced Kwame's mommy on the east side of Detroit, which also includes the eastern suburbs of the Grosse Pointes and Harper Woods.

I don't know how they can really justify it-population-wise, it might be more fair to make Detroit one congressional district and have the burbs absorbed by the districts they are already touching.

Chicago did it, don't see why MI can't.

Conyers needs to go regardless...

I hate gerrymandering :(

Arroyo_Doble
01-30-2012, 06:50 PM

Supposedly, Florida voters amended their constitution to end it in their state.

namvet
01-30-2012, 06:53 PM
If he's knocked out, then maybe we can get him to be VP for who ever gets the ticket.

After this last night, I would vote for him.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o8YDnd1Yoyk

exactly. me to

fettpett
01-30-2012, 07:31 PM
Supposedly, Florida voters amended their constitution to end it in their state.

just referring to the practice in general...

Did FL lose population in the last census?

Retread
01-30-2012, 08:12 PM
Fla gained 2 reps (http://www.thegreenpapers.com/Census10/HouseAndElectors.phtml)

NJCardFan
01-30-2012, 11:50 PM

What he'll do is run for Senate. No amount of redistricting will stop this.

Arroyo_Doble
01-31-2012, 09:48 AM
just referring to the practice in general...

Did FL lose population in the last census?

They gained two seats.

But the amendment to their constitution appears to have been ignored by the legislature and the governor. I would have to look deeper into it but I have enough problems following my own state's redistricting battle (I still don't know which district I will be in since I live at the epicenter of the fight).

noonwitch
01-31-2012, 10:03 AM

I agree about Conyers, but no one really seems to want to challenge him because he's become such an institution. There are some young guys in the Michigan Legislature who are ready to step up-Coleman Young, Jr., ran for mayor in the primaries. He was too young to be mayor of Detroit, considering the last risk taken on a youthful mayor. But he has proven himself to be smart as his father, but without the ethical problems his dad was known for.

I don't live in his district. I live in Sander Levin's.

fettpett
01-31-2012, 10:52 AM
I agree about Conyers, but no one really seems to want to challenge him because he's become such an institution. There are some young guys in the Michigan Legislature who are ready to step up-Coleman Young, Jr., ran for mayor in the primaries. He was too young to be mayor of Detroit, considering the last risk taken on a youthful mayor. But he has proven himself to be smart as his father, but without the ethical problems his dad was known for.

I don't live in his district. I live in Sander Levin's.

I live in Upton's district....talk about an institution in MI....:rolleyes: not a fan of Upton's, though he's better than some of the guys that could be in office here.

Rubio and West in the Senate?:eek::eek::D:D

Adam Wood
01-31-2012, 10:57 AM
They gained two seats.

But the amendment to their constitution appears to have been ignored by the legislature and the governor. I would have to look deeper into it but I have enough problems following my own state's redistricting battle (I still don't know which district I will be in since I live at the epicenter of the fight).I thought a court struck it down. Perhaps I'm confusing the Florida situation with somewhere else.

Arroyo_Doble
01-31-2012, 11:27 AM
I thought a court struck it down. Perhaps I'm confusing the Florida situation with somewhere else.

That would be interesting if one did. A usurpation of legislative prerogatives, maybe?

I think Florida, Arizona, and California changed their redistricting methods. All are getting headaches from it due to the incumbency and partisan things. But, like I said, Texas is having its own problems and following it has been mind numbing.

Novaheart
01-31-2012, 12:12 PM
West's district doesn't appear to conform to the constitutional amendment voted on by the citizens of Florida, mandating that congressional districts be redrawn in a way that is compact and contiguous. If you look at his district, it's a jigsaw puzzle, and the citizens of Florida have voted that congressional districts are supposed to be more or less square.

Novaheart
01-31-2012, 12:16 PM

In Florida, we amended the state constitution to FORBID gerrymandering. That's why many Florida districts have to change, why the GOP and select DNC members have their panties in a knot, because they like being able to fuck over the voters by drawing peculiar, politically, racially, and economically defined districts.

The citizens of Florida voted to stop the party influence on districting. The Republicans have been trying to thwart the will of the people on this from the start and look for a workaround. Which is why the maps will go to court and be decided by judges, who are sworn to be objective and fair (unlike politicians) which is also as the Florida voters decided it should be.

Novaheart
01-31-2012, 12:19 PM
I thought a court struck it down. Perhaps I'm confusing the Florida situation with somewhere else.

Nope. It will be enlightening to see what the legislature and congressional delegation looks like after a couple of elections with fair districts. As it stands, a Democratic majority state has a large majority of Republicans in office. How do you imagine that could happen? Ah, they must have been the better candidates, right?

noonwitch
02-01-2012, 09:41 AM
I live in Upton's district....talk about an institution in MI....:rolleyes: not a fan of Upton's, though he's better than some of the guys that could be in office here.

He's old Whirlpool money. My sister has met him-she says he's a good guy, even if she disagrees with his politics. She likes some of the Upton women that she has met through charity events and such.

fettpett
02-01-2012, 12:28 PM
He's old Whirlpool money. My sister has met him-she says he's a good guy, even if she disagrees with his politics. She likes some of the Upton women that she has met through charity events and such.

he's a good guy, don't have a problem with with him as a person...I just have a problem with guys who are in office for more than 10 years (the House)

Apocalypse
02-01-2012, 12:36 PM
This looks like it was actually done to save him and another.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/the-fix/post/rep-allen-west-to-seek-reelection-in-new-district/2012/01/31/gIQAuiPvfQ_blog.html

Tea party firebrand Rep. Allen West (R-Fla.) announced Tuesday that he will switch districts and run for reelection in Florida’s new 18th district. West’s 22nd district, which was already Democratic-leaning, got even tougher under a new GOP redistricting plan released last week. The new district would have gone about 57 percent for President Obama in the 2008 presidential race. But Rep. Tom Rooney’s (R-Fla.) decision earlier Tuesday to run in the open and Republican-leaning 17th district rather than the swing 18th freed West up to make the switch to the neighboring district, which is just north of his current district, which spans from West Palm Beach to Fort Lauderdale.

So making West’s district redder is pretty difficult. In the southern half of the district, almost all of the reddish precincts are already included. It could conceivably go northward, but that would weaken the 16th district and potentially set up a member vs. member matchup with Tom Rooney (who is also supposedly a target of the legislature). But even this is next to impossible, because of a change in Florida redistricting law approved overwhelmingly by voters in 2010. The Fair Districts Initiative (http://ballotpedia.org/wiki/index.php/Florida_Congressional_District_Boundaries,_Amendme nt_6_%282010%29) amended the state’s constitution as follows:

“Congressional districts or districting plans may not be drawn to favor or disfavor an incumbent or political party. Districts shall not be drawn to deny racial or language minorities the equal opportunity to participate in the political process and elect representatives of their choice. Districts must be contiguous. Unless otherwise required, districts must be compact, as equal in population as feasible, and where feasible must make use of existing city, county and geographical boundaries.” The Florida Legislature may well be hostile toward West. But given the map the Senate drew, I think it’s done about as much as it could permissibly do to save his career.

RedGrouse
02-03-2012, 04:58 PM

That would be cool. :cool: