PDA

View Full Version : Senator John Kerry Meets With Egypt's Muslim Brotherhood in Cairo

Odysseus
01-30-2012, 12:30 PM
Published December 10, 2011

Associated Press
CAIRO – Sen. John Kerry has met in Cairo with members of Egypt's Muslim Brotherhood, the Islamist group that's set to dominate the new parliament.

In a statement, the Muslim Brotherhood says three of its top officials attended the meeting with the Massachusetts Democrat, who was accompanied by U.S. Ambassador Anne Patterson.

Brotherhood officials vowed to respect civil rights and international treaties that have been signed in the past. That assurance could be an attempt to calm fears that the group may try to re-examine Egypt's peace treaty with Israel.

The group says Kerry told the Brotherhood's members that he's not surprised by their success in parliamentary elections.

The elections were the first since President Hosni Mubarak was ousted.

Kerry, who is also chair of the Senate Foreign Relations Committee, was among the first U.S. politicians to call on Mubarak to step down earlier this year.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2011/12/10/senator-john-kerry-meets-with-egypts-muslim-brotherhood-in-cairo/#ixzz1kxYqwXZz
---------------------------------------------------------------
Back when he was on active duty, but had left Vietnam, Kerry met, illegally, with the North Vietnamese delegation to the Paris Peace Talks, in the company of a group of antiwar activists. I guess that whenever a radically anti-American, anti-western organization is working to overthrow a US ally, we can count on John Kerry to show up and support them.

Novaheart
01-30-2012, 02:06 PM
Published December 10, 2011

Associated Press
CAIRO – Sen. John Kerry has met in Cairo with members of Egypt's Muslim Brotherhood, the Islamist group that's set to dominate the new parliament.

In a statement, the Muslim Brotherhood says three of its top officials attended the meeting with the Massachusetts Democrat, who was accompanied by U.S. Ambassador Anne Patterson.

Brotherhood officials vowed to respect civil rights and international treaties that have been signed in the past. That assurance could be an attempt to calm fears that the group may try to re-examine Egypt's peace treaty with Israel.

The group says Kerry told the Brotherhood's members that he's not surprised by their success in parliamentary elections.

The elections were the first since President Hosni Mubarak was ousted.

Kerry, who is also chair of the Senate Foreign Relations Committee, was among the first U.S. politicians to call on Mubarak to step down earlier this year.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2011/12/10/senator-john-kerry-meets-with-egypts-muslim-brotherhood-in-cairo/#ixzz1kxYqwXZz
---------------------------------------------------------------
Back when he was on active duty, but had left Vietnam, Kerry met, illegally, with the North Vietnamese delegation to the Paris Peace Talks, in the company of a group of antiwar activists. I guess that whenever a radically anti-American, anti-western organization is working to overthrow a US ally, we can count on John Kerry to show up and support them.

Yeah, we should just pretend Egypt doesn't exist.

Lanie
01-30-2012, 02:07 PM
I'm not happy that the Muslim Brotherhood are running things in Eygpt. I do think that perhaps there were legitimate reasons to meet up with them. They're claiming they'll respect the civil rights of those in Egypt. It's important to see if they'll go through with that.

Novaheart
01-30-2012, 02:21 PM
I'm not happy that the Muslim Brotherhood are running things in Eygpt. I do think that perhaps there were legitimate reasons to meet up with them. They're claiming they'll respect the civil rights of those in Egypt. It's important to see if they'll go through with that.

Don't be ridiculous, Lanie, diplomats aren't supposed to practice diplomacy, they are supposed to stamp their feet, close their eyes, and yell "I can't see you!"

txradioguy
01-30-2012, 02:33 PM
Well at least he's consistent in his desire to befriend our enemies.

http://25thaviation.org/johnkerry/06b68180.jpg

http://www.wketchup.com/images/news/Kerry_Ortega.jpg

txradioguy
01-30-2012, 02:34 PM

http://venturebeat.files.wordpress.com/2011/12/third-party-facepalm-e1325149616398.jpg

Arroyo_Doble
01-30-2012, 02:38 PM
Don't be ridiculous, Lanie, diplomats aren't supposed to practice diplomacy, they are supposed to stamp their feet, close their eyes, and yell "I can't see you!"

This is just a jumping off point for some Kerry bashing. That's all.

txradioguy
01-30-2012, 02:42 PM

You tell him fanboy!!!

Starbuck
01-30-2012, 02:42 PM

Don't be silly. I don't need a jumping off point.:D

I don't really care who runs Egypt. And if John Kerry cares, let him.

Arroyo_Doble
01-30-2012, 02:44 PM

Being the Chair of the Senate Foreign Relations Committee, I imagine if he doesn't care, he should at least fake it.

txradioguy
01-30-2012, 02:48 PM

He only cares because the Muslim Brotherhood hates America.

So he wants to be their friend.

Novaheart
01-30-2012, 02:52 PM
He only cares because the Muslim Brotherhood hates America.

So he wants to be their friend.

grow up

txradioguy
01-30-2012, 02:54 PM
grow up

Get a clue. He's made it a habit to befriend and support the enemies of this country.

This is just the latest instance.

Dan D. Doty
01-30-2012, 02:58 PM
The Brotherhood has been Anti-American since the 1950's.
they didn't like that Americans drank, ate pork, allowed woman to dress in bikinis, and Jews lived here, and all this was from one of their members who lived in Denver for a couple months.

Sooner , rathor then later Egypt and the rest of the Arab world are going to do something crazy; watch out when the sh*t starts flying.

Novaheart
01-30-2012, 03:24 PM
The Brotherhood has been Anti-American since the 1950's.
they didn't like that Americans drank, ate pork, allowed woman to dress in bikinis, and Jews lived here, and all this was from one of their members who lived in Denver for a couple months.

Sooner , rathor then later Egypt and the rest of the Arab world are going to do something crazy; watch out when the sh*t starts flying.

None of which changes the fact that they currently hold office in Egypt and have diplomatic relations with the US.

txradioguy
01-30-2012, 03:29 PM
None of which changes the fact that they currently hold office in Egypt and have diplomatic relations with the US.

Then if that's the case why isn't Hillary or Obama going there?

Odysseus
01-30-2012, 04:13 PM
Yeah, we should just pretend Egypt doesn't exist.
That does appear to be the administration's position.

They won't. Islamists consider democracy to be blasphemous. The will of Allah has already been set down, so man-made law is, at best, redundant, but at worst, a violation of Allah's explicit instructions. They will participate in elections so that they can gain power, but once they have it, they will only relinquish it through violence.

Kerry's not a diplomat. He's one of 100 senators.

You make that sound like a bad thing. Kerry has always been more keen to meet with our enemies than our allies. There's nothing wrong with pointing it out.

...[I]f he doesn't care, he should at least fake it.
I believe that's Theresa's position, as well.

Egypt has diplomatic relations with the US, the Brotherhood does not.

Hillary will go as soon as she's fitted for a chador and niquab. Obama won't go because most of the golf courses in Egypt are sand traps with the occasional putting green, and he doesn't want to ruin his handicap.

noonwitch
01-30-2012, 04:15 PM

They're not expendable?

Odysseus
01-30-2012, 04:21 PM
They're not expendable?

Says who? :D

Teetop
01-30-2012, 07:43 PM
Muslim Brotherhood Spiritual Guide Yusuf Al-Qardawi: Islamic Law Should Be Implemented Gradually in Egypt, There Should Be No Chopping Off of Hands In The First Five Years… (http://weaselzippers.us/2012/01/30/muslim-brotherhood-spiritual-guide-yusuf-al-qardawi-islamic-law-should-be-implemented-gradually-in-egypt-there-should-be-no-chopping-off-of-hands-in-the-first-five-years/)

Rockntractor
01-30-2012, 09:00 PM

He will sooner or later, the antichrist is supposed to set up his kingdom in the middle east.:confused:

Novaheart
01-30-2012, 11:34 PM

Games.

SaintLouieWoman
01-30-2012, 11:44 PM
Being the Chair of the Senate Foreign Relations Committee, I imagine if he doesn't care, he should at least fake it.
Hopefully he won't be the Chair much longer.

NJCardFan
01-30-2012, 11:49 PM

Wow. Asshole doesn't begin to describe you. Using your logic, Israel should shut up and establish detente with them too.

Novaheart
01-30-2012, 11:55 PM
Wow. Asshole doesn't begin to describe you. Using your logic, Israel should shut up and establish detente with them too.

Ignorant doesn't begin to describe you. Keeping the lines of communication open doesn't mean giving an inch. Israel does talk to Egypt you ignoramus. Are we through calling each other names for the night?

Dan D. Doty
01-31-2012, 01:47 AM

With in the real world, doesn't mean a thing.

If the MB decide to attack Isreal, the size of your Embassy don't mean sh*t.

txradioguy
01-31-2012, 02:23 AM
Games.

We don't need games. We need leadership.

Something this current occupant of the WH lacks severely in dealing with Muslim extremeism.

Lanie
01-31-2012, 08:56 AM
He will sooner or later, the antichrist is supposed to set up his kingdom in the middle east.:confused:

According to the Protestant version of things, the anti-Christ is supposed to be smart enough to fool everybody. Obama and Hilary are not.

Lanie
01-31-2012, 08:58 AM
So do all the things said in this thread change the fact that the Muslim Brotherhood are currently in charge of Eygpt? I really think we have a better chance of getting through to them with diplomacy than with blasting them out. Threaten to take away our money and I bet a lot of Muslim Brotherhood people might think twice.

BTW, why is Kerry bad for doing this, but GWB isn't bad for being buddies with Saudi leaders? You think they aren't radical Muslims in the leadership who hate America?

obx
01-31-2012, 09:42 AM
Maybe he's teaching them how to play hockey. I hope they keep him.

AmPat
01-31-2012, 10:21 AM

Your God is ecstatic, why aren't you?:confused:

Novaheart
01-31-2012, 10:51 AM
We don't need games. We need leadership.

Something this current occupant of the WH lacks severely in dealing with Muslim extremeism.

But games is what are played in diplomacy and it doesn't matter which party is in office. Look at the childish routine we have employed with Cuba for decades. We "don't recognize their government" but we send it a rent check for Guantanamo, and they claim they don't cash it. A big deal is made about the new airline service from Florida to Cuba, but there has been a daily flight to and from Cuba for a long time now. Cuba doesn't have an embassy in Washington, but they have a piece of someone else's embassy. It's childish. It's like when TV couple aren't talking to each other and say, "Ask your mother to pass the ketchup."

AmPat
01-31-2012, 11:17 AM
But games is what are played in diplomacy and it doesn't matter which party is in office. Look at the childish routine we have employed with Cuba for decades. We "don't recognize their government" but we send it a rent check for Guantanamo, and they claim they don't cash it. A big deal is made about the new airline service from Florida to Cuba, but there has been a daily flight to and from Cuba for a long time now. Cuba doesn't have an embassy in Washington, but they have a piece of someone else's embassy. It's childish. It's like when TV couple aren't talking to each other and say, "Ask your mother to pass the ketchup."
Citing all the games you can dredge up is hardly a winning argument for continuing the games.:rolleyes:

Odysseus
01-31-2012, 11:38 AM
Muslim Brotherhood Spiritual Guide Yusuf Al-Qardawi: Islamic Law Should Be Implemented Gradually in Egypt, There Should Be No Chopping Off of Hands In The First Five Years… (http://weaselzippers.us/2012/01/30/muslim-brotherhood-spiritual-guide-yusuf-al-qardawi-islamic-law-should-be-implemented-gradually-in-egypt-there-should-be-no-chopping-off-of-hands-in-the-first-five-years/)
I guess that makes him a moderate. :rolleyes:

Ignorant doesn't begin to describe you. Keeping the lines of communication open doesn't mean giving an inch. Israel does talk to Egypt you ignoramus. Are we through calling each other names for the night?
Those lines of communication are closing fast. The Brotherhood ran on a campaign promise to abrogate the peace treaty with Israel.

So do all the things said in this thread change the fact that the Muslim Brotherhood are currently in charge of Eygpt? I really think we have a better chance of getting through to them with diplomacy than with blasting them out. Threaten to take away our money and I bet a lot of Muslim Brotherhood people might think twice.

BTW, why is Kerry bad for doing this, but GWB isn't bad for being buddies with Saudi leaders? You think they aren't radical Muslims in the leadership who hate America?
The Muslim Brotherhood doesn't run Egypt yet. The army does, and the degree of control that is ceded to the Brotherhood is very much up in the air. The army is, for the most part, pro-US (we trained their leadership), and is willing to maintain the status quo with Israel, while the Brothers are virulently anti-American and seek to engulf the Middle East in war. Kerry is meeting with a factional party that is diametrically opposed to us and lending them the legitimacy of contact with the head of the Senate Foreign Relations Committee. In other words, he is boosting the standing of the Brotherhood within Egypt and internationally. Bush's meetings with sitting monarchs isn't the same thing as Kerry endorsing a domestic faction in Egyptian politics.

Agreed. We ought to have cut Cuba off completely and put all of our resources behind the opposition when the Soviet Union collapsed. The thought of Castro dying peacefully in bed, unlike so many of his victims, is disgusting.

Hawkgirl
01-31-2012, 07:07 PM
The Muslim Brotherhood doesn't run Egypt yet. The army does, and the degree of control that is ceded to the Brotherhood is very much up in the air. The army is, for the most part, pro-US (we trained their leadership), and is willing to maintain the status quo with Israel, while the Brothers are virulently anti-American and seek to engulf the Middle East in war. Kerry is meeting with a factional party that is diametrically opposed to us and lending them the legitimacy of contact with the head of the Senate Foreign Relations Committee. In other words, he is boosting the standing of the Brotherhood within Egypt and internationally. Bush's meetings with sitting monarchs isn't the same thing as Kerry endorsing a domestic faction in Egyptian politics.

Ding ding ding...We have a winner!

Odysseus
01-31-2012, 11:12 PM
Ding ding ding...We have a winner!

I do try. :D

Hawkgirl
02-01-2012, 01:13 AM
I do try. :D

Nah, I think it comes naturally for you...