PDA

View Full Version : It's time to face facts. Abu Ghraib happens every single day in American jails and pr

Carol
01-31-2012, 09:17 PM
link (http://www.democraticunderground.com/1002248014)

Star Member backscatter712 (14,371 posts) Profile Journal Send DU Mail Ignore

It's time to face facts. Abu Ghraib happens every single day in American jails and prisons.
The latest incident is the reports documented here...

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2012/01/31/1060354/-Breaking:-Oakland-Arrestees-Tortured

Guards putting tear gas in the vents of protesters cells. Women being forced to urinate in a cup in front of male guards. Protesters being denied bathroom facilities until they piss and shit themselves.

And of course, protesters with illnesses being denied medication, and told by the guards "I don't care if you die."

Can anyone tell me why denying medical care to inmates is considered even slightly acceptable? Guards denying treatment for injuries or chronic conditions should be inmates themselves.

I know, somebody's already typing up the tired old "It's just a few bad apples - most cops smile and rescue kittens!" bullshit.

But the fact is that people are abused all the time in jails and prisons. People die all the time because of abuse. People are raped. People are forced to stew in their own shit. And the guards think it's funny.

The country collectively freaked out over the abuses at Abu Ghraib, but collectively looks away at the same thing happening here at home.

Law enforcement has squandered and lost all its honor. Not one cop is without the stain of dishonor. Not one. Don't tell me about that great cop that's your buddy or family member. He's got the stain too. At best, he has the morals of a mafia wife that stands silent as atrocity happens around her.
Tweet

The thing is.........can you believe anything they say when they deliberately plan to get arrested. When they think that breaking into City Hall, stealing a flag and burning it, and taking over unoccupied buildings they don't own is perfectly OK because they are entitled.

The answer to that is NO.

Star Member rhett o rick (19,725 posts) Profile Journal Send DU Mail Ignore
1. The public cant handle the truth. nm
hifiguy (5,108 posts) Profile Journal Send DU Mail Ignore
2. But, but We're Number One

Th' Land o' the Free and the Home of the Brave. Teh freest country in th' world. Thet just can't be.

tkmorris (8,445 posts) Profile Journal Send DU Mail Ignore
5. It's a national embarassment

Of all the immoral acts that take place in this country the state of our jails and prisons is one of the worst. It's become quite unfashionable to give a damn how prisoners are treated, which is quite intentional.

Oh, and MSNBC? You're not helping.

limpyhobbler (906 posts) Profile Journal Send DU Mail Ignore
6. Many people will think they're getting what they deserve.

That'll teach 'em a lesson.
Don't expect so called "liberals" to stand up for the protesters. It's not on the agenda.

Bonobo (16,714 posts) Profile Journal Send DU Mail Ignore
10. Torture nation

It has been approved of and all law enforcers from cops to mall security guards feel emboldened by it.

Rockntractor
01-31-2012, 09:32 PM
And of course, protesters with illnesses being denied medication, and told by the guards "I don't care if you die."
Put them in cells by themselves and give them all the pure uncut drugs they want, come by later and bury the corpses.

Hawkgirl
01-31-2012, 09:34 PM
Next thing she's going to want them to have education and TV and three meals a day and fitness outlet, and barbells, and internet and oh wait.

Be glad they're not in Mexico DUmmie.

Apache
01-31-2012, 10:31 PM
Where's the proof?

Teetop
01-31-2012, 10:32 PM
Where's the proof?

Geeeez! I read it online!

:rolleyes::D

SarasotaRepub
01-31-2012, 10:38 PM
Next thing she's going to want them to have education and TV and three meals a day and fitness outlet, and barbells, and internet and oh wait.

Be glad they're not in Mexico DUmmie.

Could you just imagine some of these losers in a Mexican Jail?? They'd be clawing over each other to get back to the ebil USA. :rolleyes:

Hawkgirl
01-31-2012, 10:43 PM
Could you just imagine some of these losers in a Mexican Jail?? They'd be clawing over each other to get back to the ebil USA. :rolleyes:

LOL....actually, Mexico still has some comforts...I think Turkey...I watched Midnight Express.:D

SarasotaRepub
01-31-2012, 10:46 PM
LOL....actually, Mexico still has some comforts...I think Turkey...I watched Midnight Express.:D

Yeah, ME was a great movie. I could just see Pitt...:D

NJCardFan
02-01-2012, 01:01 AM
Oy. Let me see. At the prison I work at, inmates get:

Free access to satellite TV(they can either watch TV at rec time in the dayroom or they can buy their own TV and watch in their cells...oh, and the TV's they can buy are 13" flat screens).

Access to exercise equipment to use on their many recreation periods.

Free access to schooling including vocational and college courses.

Low cost medical treatment($5 to see the doctor) and prescription drugs($1). This includes hospital visits for free and the prison system even has to spring for sex reassignment treatments.

Access to the prison canteen so they can buy anything from toiletries to snacks.

Access to outside shopping to buy items you and I can buy(saw an inmate eating shrimp recently).

They don't go to church, the church comes to them. This includes monthly visits to the sweat box for our Native American inmates.

Visits from their friends and families.

Mail hand delivered to them from a conscientious C.O.

And this doesn't count the amount of illegal crap they have access to(sex, drugs, cell phones, etc).

Yeah, we're running a regular gulag. :rolleyes:

Hawkgirl
02-01-2012, 01:03 AM

Free access to satellite TV(they can either watch TV at rec time in the dayroom or they can buy their own TV and watch in their cells...oh, and the TV's they can buy are 13" flat screens).

Low cost medical treatment($5 to see the doctor) and prescription drugs($1). This includes hospital visits for free and the prison system even has to spring for sex reassignment treatments.

Access to the prison canteen so they can buy anything from toiletries to snacks.

Access to outside shopping to buy items you and I can buy(saw an inmate eating shrimp recently).

They don't go to church, the church comes to them. This includes monthly visits to the sweat box for our Native American inmates.

And this doesn't count the amount of illegal crap they have access to(sex, drugs, cell phones, etc).

Precisely.

Dan D. Doty
02-01-2012, 04:36 AM
Jail isn't a nice.

Maybe they should run a SCADED STRAIGHT program for Moonbats before they decide to start sh*t at their next protest.

BadCat
02-01-2012, 08:38 AM

I've always wondered why we let them have weight and exercise equipment. So we can have BIG MUSCULAR, IN SHAPE CRIMINALS on the street when they get out?

txradioguy
02-01-2012, 09:23 AM

I've lived in barracks rooms that an inmate wouldn't go near because of the "poor living conditions".

noonwitch
02-01-2012, 09:34 AM
Yeah, ME was a great movie. I could just see Pitt...:D

He'd last about as long as John Hurt's cat.

AmPat
02-01-2012, 09:55 AM
It's time to face facts. This part I agree with. Then the liberal nose picker proceeds to post anything and everything unrelated to facts.

I should have known, facts to a liberal are like garlic to a vampire.

AmPat
02-01-2012, 09:57 AM
I've always wondered why we let them have weight and exercise equipment. So we can have BIG MUSCULAR, IN SHAPE CRIMINALS on the street when they get out?
I know, right? Why not issue them pink terry robes and feed them estrogen laced Big Macs? The exercise yard should be filled with vegetables they raise if they want to eat.

Odysseus
02-01-2012, 10:14 AM

Agreed. I always thought that the prison diet should consist of twinkies and sugared sodas, and exercise should be limited to whatever you can do in your cell. I would also restrict educational services to GED level, and no law libraries. The purpose of a penitentiary is penitence, not to provide college course, gyms and other programs whose sole purpose is to turn out better, stronger, smarter predators.

michaelsean
02-01-2012, 10:31 AM
Typical DUmmies. Nothing exists until it happens to them. Being in jail or prison has sucked for a really long time, but now that some protestors didn't get to do what they wanted when they wanted it's an issue.

Odysseus
02-01-2012, 12:09 PM
Typical DUmmies. Nothing exists until it happens to them. Being in jail or prison has sucked for a really long time, but now that some protestors didn't get to do what they wanted when they wanted it's an issue.

It's supposed to suck. If it didn't, it wouldn't be a deterrent to crime, now would it?

enslaved1
02-01-2012, 12:59 PM

QFT. Sounds like my prison. I love standing at chow listening to them pitch a fit about how there aren't enough eggs on the tray, or griping at me for kicking them out of the bathrooms for smoking (instead of writing them the well deserved ticket). I would love to put these putzs in a Mexican or North Korean prison for a week. Or better yet, get every CO and sgt to start enforcing every freaking rule on their sorry butts. Then they might have a modicum to gripe about. :end rant:

Odysseus
02-01-2012, 01:54 PM
QFT. Sounds like my prison. I love standing at chow listening to them pitch a fit about how there aren't enough eggs on the tray, or griping at me for kicking them out of the bathrooms for smoking (instead of writing them the well deserved ticket). I would love to put these putzs in a Mexican or North Korean prison for a week. Or better yet, get every CO and sgt to start enforcing every freaking rule on their sorry butts. Then they might have a modicum to gripe about. :end rant:

The Soviet Army used to have specialized penal battalions for disciplinary infractions that went beyond the norm, although someone could be thrown into one for almost any infraction if their commander wanted to do so. They weren't physically abused or subjected to any of the punishments that you'd think they'd impose in a totalitarian hellhole like the Soviet Union, but instead, they enforced every single regulation to the absolute letter. There was no discretion on the part of the cadre, every infraction was punished as prescribed, without exception. In addition, time in a penal battalion did not come off one's conscription time, so if you had a two year hitch, and had one month to go when you were sent to the penal battalion, your clock stopped until you came back to your unit. A Soldier could spend years in a penal unit and not have a minute of it counted towards his tour of duty. The recidivism rate for Soldiers coming out of a penal battalion was about as close to zero as you could get.

DumbAss Tanker
02-01-2012, 03:56 PM
...And that was the "Kinder, gentler" Soviet Union, in Stalin's time they used the penal units to clear minefields the quick way, and find out where the German FPF lines were.

noonwitch
02-01-2012, 04:13 PM

Exactly. I didn't know about the monthly visits to the sweat box, though. Prison is much more of a burden on the inmate's family than on the inmate. Those 13 inch flat screens are paid for by someone, as are the collect phone calls .

Even with all the amenities offered by your prison, some of the "guests" still probably think it's okay to pee into paper cups and throw them at you.

I'm sure there are occasional situations in which inmates get mistreated, especially at the police lock-up level, but for the most part, COs in american prisons have a pretty high level of conduct, despite the constant attacks against them by the inmates.

Odysseus
02-01-2012, 04:19 PM
...And that was the "Kinder, gentler" Soviet Union, in Stalin's time they used the penal units to clear minefields the quick way, and find out where the German FPF lines were.

I'm sure that they fulfilled the same requirements during the Afghanistan war, but during peacetime, the suck factor was implemented through the deliberate application of minute regulation without any slack.

DumbAss Tanker
02-01-2012, 05:08 PM
I'm sure that they fulfilled the same requirements during the Afghanistan war, but during peacetime, the suck factor was implemented through the deliberate application of minute regulation without any slack.

"Correctional Custody" for Article 15 or SCM punishment was run pretty much the same way in the US Army. Haven't seen it used in a long time, but the Brigade I was in as a buck sergeant had a facility for it at the kaserne where the BDE HQ was located.

:D

JB
02-01-2012, 05:09 PM
I count 3 CUers on this thread that work in the prison system or are familiar with its operations.

I count 0 on DU. I see a lot of bitching but I see no solutions. That's all I ever see from libs.

Bailey
02-01-2012, 05:40 PM
"Correctional Custody" for Article 15 or SCM punishment was run pretty much the same way in the US Army. Haven't seen it used in a long time, but the Brigade I was in as a buck sergeant had a facility for it at the kaserne where the BDE HQ was located.

I knew an Army E-7 busted all the way back to a private because he had some underage girl do drugs at a party at his house. I felt bad for the guy, you could see where the rank was cut off his BDU's.

Odysseus
02-01-2012, 05:40 PM

There is a very good movie about that, with Charlie and Martin Sheen (believe it or not), called Cadence (http://www.amazon.com/Cadence-Charlie-Sheen/dp/B000JLTR9U/ref=sr_1_1?s=movies-tv&ie=UTF8&qid=1328132196&sr=1-1).

I count 3 CUers on this thread that work in the prison system or are familiar with its operations.

I count 0 on DU. I see a lot of bitching but I see no solutions. That's all I ever see from libs.

Oh, I'm sure that there are lots of DUpes who are familiar with the penal system, at least until their parents post their bond. :D