PDA

View Full Version : Planned Parenthood and DU Valentine Hearts

SarasotaRepub
02-01-2012, 07:34 PM
Oh brother... (http://www.democraticunderground.com/1002250980) :rolleyes:

Wed Feb 1, 2012, 10:39 AM
Skinner (54,853 posts)

Planned Parenthood and DU Valentine Hearts

Last edited Wed Feb 1, 2012, 10:40 AM USA/ET - Edit history (1) (http://www.democraticunderground.com/?com=view_post&forum=1002&pid=250980#edits)
I'm sure by now you have all heard that Susan G. Komen for the Cure has completely cut its support for Planned Parenthood (http://www.democraticunderground.com/101440414), only a few months after a new anti-abortion vice president (http://www.democraticunderground.com/1002250284) joined the organization. Sadly, this is only the latest attack against Planned Parenthood, an extremely important organization that has been at the forefront of the fight for Reproductive Rights.

You also probably remember that last year the DU Admins announced that we would no longer be doing quarterly fund drives for Democratic Underground.

With no quarterly DU fund drives, people have been asking whether our popular Valentine Hearts promotion would be back in 2012. Over the last week, the DU Admins have been discussing the issue, and trying to figure out if we should bring back the Valentine Hearts even if we are not doing a fund drive for DU. And one of the ideas that we have been discussing is to do the Valentine Hearts as a Charity Drive.

This latest news has convinced us that we need to do something to show our support for Planned Parenthood. So, I think we are going to do the Valentine Hearts this year. But instead of pocketing the money for Democratic Underground, we think it might be worthwhile to collect it all and donate it to Planned Parenthood.

After all, Planned Parenthood is a good fit with Valentine's Day.

What do you think?

PP is a "good fit"??? Yikes...

Carol
02-01-2012, 08:41 PM
Why of course it is!!

Killing babies so they can't experience even ONE valentines day it in the spirit of valentines day.

How could you have not known that!:rolleyes:

BadCat
02-02-2012, 08:53 AM
I dunno.
The DUmmies are the best argument for birth control on the planet.

linda22003
02-02-2012, 09:21 AM
The papers are reporting this morning that the money cut from PP by Komen - over $650,000 - was made up by private donors in one day.

txradioguy
02-02-2012, 09:24 AM
What else says "I love you" better than giving your girlfriend or wife the gift of an abortion this Valentine's Day?

:rolleyes:

Adam Wood
02-02-2012, 10:44 AM
I dunno.
The DUmmies are the best argument for retroactive abortion on the planet.Minor fix there.

linda22003
02-02-2012, 11:03 AM
So, it's an immoral practice unless it does away with people you disagree with. Got it. :rolleyes:

NJCardFan
02-02-2012, 01:27 PM
The papers are reporting this morning that the money cut from PP by Komen - over $650,000 - was made up by private donors in one day.

Last I saw, Komen was a private organization themselves.

linda22003
02-02-2012, 02:10 PM
Last I saw, Komen was a private organization themselves.

Yes, they are. I should have said "individuals".

JB
02-02-2012, 06:59 PM
Susan G. Komen for the Cure has completely cut its support for Planned ParenthoodOutstanding. I have been railing against giving money to Komen in the fight against breast cancer for some time now. There are many other organizations where your breast cancer dollars will be better spent. This is excellent news.

JB
02-02-2012, 07:01 PM
The papers are reporting this morning that the money cut from PP by Komen - over $650,000 - was made up by private donors in one day.Well then it just goes to show you that it's not about breast cancer for those people. It's about something else.

Adam Wood
02-02-2012, 10:13 PM
Well then it just goes to show you that it's not about breast cancer for those people. It's about something else.
It also goes to show you that there was no need for Komen to be giving the money in the first place. Clearly, Planned Abortionhood can secure the funds they "need" through other sources without sullying a good organization who is out there actually trying to save lives.

Rockntractor
02-02-2012, 10:17 PM
So, it's an immoral practice unless it does away with people you disagree with. Got it. :rolleyes:

Why are you such an activist. It is clearly more than just another topic for you.

txradioguy
02-03-2012, 01:17 AM
Why are you such an activist. It is clearly more than just another topic for you.
She's a RINO...that's why.

linda22003
02-03-2012, 09:09 AM

Posting on a message board makes me an activist? That's a pretty low threshhold for activism. It interests me as the ultimate "beating a dead horse" topic that people persist in hashing over and over and over when it has been long since resolved - and there's always a point at which someone who's "pro life" expresses the wish that someone on the other side had been aborted, which is intrinsically amusing.

Odysseus
02-03-2012, 09:42 AM
What else says "I love you" better than giving your girlfriend or wife the gift of an abortion this Valentine's Day?

:rolleyes:
Not to mention signifying a lasting commitment to your girlfriend.

It also goes to show you that there was no need for Komen to be giving the money in the first place. Clearly, Planned Abortionhood can secure the funds they "need" through other sources without sullying a good organization who is out there actually trying to save lives.

Now that Komen is out of the abortion business, I'm thinking about volunteering for one of their walks. There's one coming up in the DC area, and I just have to work it around my schedule.

linda22003
02-03-2012, 09:53 AM
Now that Komen is out of the abortion business, I'm thinking about volunteering for one of their walks. There's one coming up in the DC area, and I just have to work it around my schedule.

I was all set to do the three day walk one year, but they wanted me to camp out with everyone - wouldn't let me go home and sleep in my own comfortable bed at night. So I wrote a check, but wouldn't do the walk. I wouldn't "camp out" if it meant an immediate cure to ALL cancer. :rolleyes:

Odysseus
02-03-2012, 10:22 AM
I was all set to do the three day walk one year, but they wanted me to camp out with everyone - wouldn't let me go home and sleep in my own comfortable bed at night. So I wrote a check, but wouldn't do the walk. I wouldn't "camp out" if it meant an immediate cure to ALL cancer. :rolleyes:

Civilians... :rolleyes:

I was looking at that three day walk. It's 20 miles per day, which is a pretty good pace (Roman legions averaged 25 on the march, with all of their gear). Our basic training graduation ruck march was 18 miles in one night, with full winter gear and packs. We were carrying about 3/4 of our body weight in additional crap, and it hurt. The camping is no big deal. I have a small tent and I can set myself up quite comfortably, but I'll have to see what we're expected to carry on our backs, vs. what we can have transported. If I have to carry everything, it's going to be too much for these old bones.

linda22003
02-03-2012, 10:55 AM
Civilians... :rolleyes:

I was looking at that three day walk. It's 20 miles per day, which is a pretty good pace (Roman legions averaged 25 on the march, with all of their gear). Our basic training graduation ruck march was 18 miles in one night, with full winter gear and packs. We were carrying about 3/4 of our body weight in additional crap, and it hurt. The camping is no big deal. I have a small tent and I can set myself up quite comfortably, but I'll have to see what we're expected to carry on our backs, vs. what we can have transported. If I have to carry everything, it's going to be too much for these old bones.

At the Komen walk, I don't think you have to carry much of anything. And yes, as a civilian, I don't HAVE to sleep on the ground. :p

Odysseus
02-03-2012, 12:01 PM
At the Komen walk, I don't think you have to carry much of anything. And yes, as a civilian, I don't HAVE to sleep on the ground. :p

From what they say on the website, they have their own sleeping tents, which apparently include cots, and for those who want to incur the expense, they have approved hotels that you can stay at, but I don't see you roughing it at a three-star facility. :D

linda22003
02-03-2012, 12:03 PM
From what they say on the website, they have their own sleeping tents, which apparently include cots, and for those who want to incur the expense, they have approved hotels that you can stay at, but I don't see you roughing it at a three-star facility. :D

Hotels would be new; when I looked into it, they wanted the "cameraderie" of everyone staying together in tents. That didn't tally with what I wanted. :D

Odysseus
02-03-2012, 12:48 PM
Hotels would be new; when I looked into it, they wanted the "cameraderie" of everyone staying together in tents. That didn't tally with what I wanted. :D

I understand, and if I see an event that features limousine rides for the cure, or spa treatments for the cure, or dates with Brad Pitt for the cure, I'll be sure to forward the information to you. Your stoicism and self-denial are an example to us all. :D

Adam Wood
02-03-2012, 12:49 PM
You may want to re-think that stroll. Komen just folded (http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-02-03/komen-will-continue-existing-planned-parenthood-grants-after-pulling-funds.html).

linda22003
02-03-2012, 12:49 PM
I understand, and if I see an event that features limousine rides for the cure, or spa treatments for the cure, or dates with Brad Pitt for the cure, I'll be sure to forward the information to you. :D

No, I just write checks for the causes I support, and I usually don't want to do/get anything in return. I never want the tote bags or coffee mugs. :p

txradioguy
02-03-2012, 12:51 PM
You may want to re-think that stroll. Komen just folded (http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-02-03/komen-will-continue-existing-planned-parenthood-grants-after-pulling-funds.html).

Extremely disappointing.

Adam Wood
02-03-2012, 12:54 PM
Extremely disappointing.Indeed. :mad:

Odysseus
02-03-2012, 02:07 PM

I just saw it. That didn't take long.

Bailey
02-03-2012, 02:11 PM
I just saw it. That didn't take long.

Now I dont know the makeup of this organization and this is a just a shot in the dark that its made up of mostly of women, no wonder it folded so quick. :p:p:p:D

JB
02-03-2012, 08:19 PM
You may want to re-think that stroll. Komen just foldedThat's too bad. After the smoke cleared, and in the long run, I bet their decision would have proved more beneficial for them.

Spineless.