PDA

View Full Version : for the people here that actually work out.

Zafod
02-01-2012, 07:53 PM
do you hit a gym or work out at home?

if at home why?

if at a gym why?

just wanting to start a discussion here.

I personally like my garage gym. Even with living in the AZ heat I still would take lifting heavy in 115 degrees than having to deal with cardio bunnies bouncing around and brotards doing curls in the squat rack at a gym.

besides, I dont have to worry about anyone bitching about how I make them feel when I workout haha

THE Gypsy
02-01-2012, 08:52 PM
do you hit a gym or work out at home?

Home.

if at home why?

1. I don't like sharing other peoples sweat.

2. I have a gym at home complete with treadmill, video, audio and free weights.

3. I hate sharing other peoples sweat.

just wanting to start a discussion here.

I personally like my garage gym. Even with living in the AZ heat I still would take lifting heavy in 115 degrees than having to deal with cardio bunnies bouncing around and brotards doing curls in the squat rack at a gym.

Hot weather can provide for a good, sweaty workout. :D

besides, I dont have to worry about anyone bitching about how I make them feel when I workout haha

Good...Because I would hate having to share your sweat. http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r101/Bithiah_photo/Smilies/Girl%20Smilies/smilie_girl_101.gif

Zafod
02-02-2012, 09:08 AM
Home.

1. I don't like sharing other peoples sweat.

2. I have a gym at home complete with treadmill, video, audio and free weights.

3. I hate sharing other peoples sweat.

Hot weather can provide for a good, sweaty workout. :D

Good...Because I would hate having to share your sweat. http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r101/Bithiah_photo/Smilies/Girl%20Smilies/smilie_girl_101.gif

I always wiped down equipment. I just can't stand people.

fettpett
02-02-2012, 09:29 AM
gym, no room at home

Zafod
02-02-2012, 09:58 AM
gym, no room at home

You don't have a garage?

AmPat
02-02-2012, 10:16 AM
Normally at Home. Bought the treadmill for convenience and the nearest Gym is a 70 mile round trip. I feel as though every time I log a mile on the TM, I'm getting my money's worth.

I have been known to hit the gym but some of the wymins insist upon stress testing spnadex and sweat pants beyond the design limits. I'm Conservative and hence not up for most regulation, but I could support standards for codifying weight limits and body types for the wear of revealing clothing. :(

Zafod
02-02-2012, 12:17 PM
I only workout at home.

Rebel Yell
02-02-2012, 12:30 PM
Home.

I have a Weider home gym and an Eliptical. I loathe the Eliptical, so I'm getting a heavy bag for a good cardio workout.

Zafod
02-02-2012, 01:40 PM
Home.

I have a Weider home gym and an Eliptical. I loathe the Eliptical, so I'm getting a heavy bag for a good cardio workout.

weider makes ok stuff.

I have a powertec rack myself.

fettpett
02-02-2012, 05:53 PM
You don't have a garage?

no

Starbuck
02-02-2012, 06:42 PM
The neighborhood.

I will walk 700 miles this year.

Zafod
02-02-2012, 06:44 PM
no

well that sucks.

what gym?

Zafod
02-02-2012, 06:45 PM
The neighborhood.

I will walk 700 miles this year.

cool. walking is good. running is bad. sprinting is better.

fettpett
02-02-2012, 07:22 PM
well that sucks.

what gym?

Anytime Fitness

SaintLouieWoman
02-03-2012, 01:11 AM
We used to work out at Lifetime Fitness in St Louis. The closest one in Florida is in Boca Raton, on the other coast, so obviously not an option here. I really liked that place.

I work out at home, have quite a bit of equipment, light weights, a complete set of medicine balls, heavy duty stretch bands rigged up in the closet (just open the door and pull them out into the room). I also have a slant board, a Pilates ring and a little styrofoam thing for stretching the calves (bought it from the physical therapist).

3 times a week I go to physical therapy. Those sessions are getting longer, sometimes up to almost 2 hours. 2 days a week I have hydrotherapy (workout in a 96 degree therapy pool, mostly on a treadmill), then change and do exercises in the gym. Once a week I work out in the PT gym.

Have been working out feverishly, as I'm afraid the insurance is about to reach its limit, so trying to get as good as I'll be able to get.

SR can answer for himself, but he usually walks a lot, between walks on his own where he can walk faster and those with the hounds, who like to stop and sniff and smell the flowers on the way. :D He also was riding his bike, til it had a flat tire.

noonwitch
02-03-2012, 09:57 AM
I swim, so I work out at the community center.

I'm considering buying a bicycle this spring to ride around the neighborhood or to take out to one of the metro parks and their bike trails-I hate the stationary bike, and I stopped with the weights because my back started hurting. But riding a bike out in a nice park might be a way to step up my weight loss this summer, so I can maybe lose another size before my 30th class reunion in September.

But my new car is a hatchback, so I probably wouldn't even need a bike rack to haul it out to Stoney Creek.

AmPat
02-03-2012, 10:17 AM
I swim, so I work out at the community center.

I'm considering buying a bicycle this spring to ride around the neighborhood or to take out to one of the metro parks and their bike trails-I hate the stationary bike, and I stopped with the weights because my back started hurting. But riding a bike out in a nice park might be a way to step up my weight loss this summer, so I can maybe lose another size before my 30th class reunion in September.

But my new car is a hatchback, so I probably wouldn't even need a bike rack to haul it out to Stoney Creek.
Do yourself a favor and get the bike rack. The load-unload is difficult and potentially damaging to your vehicle. If you have a quick removal front wheel, it makes it easier to put in a car. My rear bearings went out on mile 20 something and I had to put it in the back of the Jeep. Had to deflate the front tire and remove it to get the beast in.:(

AmPat
02-03-2012, 10:20 AM
cool. walking is good. running is bad. sprinting is better.

Grrrr!!!:mad::nono::justice::smilie_catfight:

Zafod
02-03-2012, 11:11 AM
Grrrr!!!:mad::nono::justice::smilie_catfight:

Man was not meant to run long distances. We were made to Sprint out of danger....

AmPat
02-03-2012, 11:40 AM
Man was not meant to run long distances. We were made to Sprint out of danger....

What is "long?" :confused:

Starbuck
02-03-2012, 11:46 AM

I can actually sprint! I'll be 67 this year, but I can sprint fast enough to intimidate the runaway dog into submission so that I can actually catch him.:)

I never punish the little monster, though. I just pick him up, turn him around to face the house, tap his butt, and away he streaks going back home! It's all a game for him, I guess. Me, too.:o

Zafod
02-03-2012, 03:22 PM
What is "long?" :confused:

anything over a half mile is long.

AmPat
02-03-2012, 03:29 PM
anything over a half mile is long.

Pfft! I routinely do @ 6 mile training runs. I do agree with you though, most marathoners miss a run due to injury. I love running and feel cheated when I can't run. Injuries are terrible for a runner because the time spent recovering and post recovery training doubles to get back to pre-injury running form.:mad:

Zafod
02-03-2012, 03:37 PM
Pfft! I routinely do @ 6 mile training runs. I do agree with you though, most marathoners miss a run due to injury. I love running and feel cheated when I can't run. Injuries are terrible for a runner because the time spent recovering and post recovery training doubles to get back to pre-injury running form.:mad:

good on you for 6 mile plus runs. Talk to me when you are 60 plus years old about running that far....

now lifting on the other hand, losts of old guys doin that

Zafod
02-03-2012, 03:38 PM
running taxes the CNS too much and thats why runners get hurt all the damm time.

AmPat
02-03-2012, 03:54 PM
good on you for 6 mile plus runs. Talk to me when you are 60 plus years old about running that far....

53 and still going. 26 years of military life has me doing many work-a-rounds for chronic injuries-(neck-back-knees-ankles), aside from that, "pain is just weakness leaving the body.";)

Zafod
02-03-2012, 04:12 PM
53 and still going. 26 years of military life has me doing many work-a-rounds for chronic injuries-(neck-back-knees-ankles), aside from that, "pain is just weakness leaving the body.";)

and in pain a lot I see.

You cant do a pull up.

Cant lift anything.

but you can run (in pain).... sounds awesome :rolleyes:

AmPat
02-03-2012, 04:35 PM
and in pain a lot I see.

You cant do a pull up.

Cant lift anything.

but you can run (in pain).... sounds awesome :rolleyes:

Meh, working on the pull ups, but until recently I haven't seen a practical use for them in real life. Now I see some of the mud runs are getting really popular and I might have to get the shoulders back in the game if I plan on running these.

I can still lift a fork to my mouth so I got lifting covered.

Running though takes a real man. See you on the track Shrek!:D

Zafod
02-03-2012, 06:46 PM
Meh, working on the pull ups, but until recently I haven't seen a practical use for them in real life. Now I see some of the mud runs are getting really popular and I might have to get the shoulders back in the game if I plan on running these.

I can still lift a fork to my mouth so I got lifting covered.

Running though takes a real man. See you on the track Shrek!:D

I did my running when I was young and stupid. Getting smoked was somthing I prided myself on.

pull ups are practical. You ever need to climb out of somthing and cant do em.....we sucks to be you.

I may be shrek but tell you what. Both of us load up a prowler sled with 100 lbs of weight and have a sprint contest.... or even easier, lets use weighted vests..make it easy and only load em to 40 lbs.

I bet you crumble way before I do.

Zafod
02-03-2012, 06:46 PM
booyah!

SaintLouieWoman
02-03-2012, 11:10 PM

A guy in the aquatherapy pool (physical therapy) is there for damage done while lifting. He's a triathlete and is sidelined til he can recuperate. He said he way overdid it on the amount lifted. I suspect he had good form, just lifted too much. This guy looks like he's pushing 60 or more. I'm sure he was participating in the senior events, but was in decent shape.

Zafod
02-04-2012, 10:49 AM
A guy in the aquatherapy pool (physical therapy) is there for damage done while lifting. He's a triathlete and is sidelined til he can recuperate. He said he way overdid it on the amount lifted. I suspect he had good form, just lifted too much. This guy looks like he's pushing 60 or more. I'm sure he was participating in the senior events, but was in decent shape.

Good form will dictate what amount of weight is used. If the weight is too much then forn breaks down....and injury happens.

He did too much weight and forn broke down and that causes injury.

Zafod
02-04-2012, 10:51 AM
Now one of my training partners Geno is 75 this year. Has a dead lift of 420 and a squat of 315. He has good form.

Artois
02-07-2012, 09:56 PM
I prefer the gym but have at home a nice treadmill, set of dumbells to 90, and a cheap cage I only trust/use for pull ups.

AmPat
02-08-2012, 11:13 AM
Now one of my training partners Geno is 75 this year. Has a dead lift of 420 and a squat of 315. He has good form.
OK, tell him I hate him too.:mad:

Zafod
02-08-2012, 03:27 PM
OK, tell him I hate him too.:mad:

you could too bud.

If I can be med discharged because of bursitis, get into a bad car wreck that destroyed my shoulder and left me with tendonitis in both arms turn into a fat 340 lb ball of chewed bubble gum then lose a 100 lbs and start lifting..... so can you :)

whe I started I couldnt lift more than 60 lbs over my head.

Now I can press 200

I couldnt bench more than 135, now I bench 300

I couldnt squat more then 225, now I squat 405

and I couldnt dead lift more than 315, now I rep 500

AmPat
02-08-2012, 03:33 PM
you could too bud.

If I can be med discharged because of bursitis, get into a bad car wreck that destroyed my shoulder and left me with tendonitis in both arms turn into a fat 340 lb ball of chewed bubble gum then lose a 100 lbs and start lifting..... so can you :)

whe I started I couldnt lift more than 60 lbs over my head.

Now I can press 200

I couldnt bench more than 135, now I bench 300

I couldnt squat more then 225, now I squat 405

and I couldnt dead lift more than 315, now I rep 500
Great googli-moogli. Actually I do want to add strength training to my workouts. It won't be doing your numbers but need to address some weaknesses. Lunges for now and I run the treadmill with 3 lbs in each hand. Not much wt. initially but after a few miles it gets heavy.

Zafod
02-08-2012, 03:44 PM
Great googli-moogli. Actually I do want to add strength training to my workouts. It won't be doing your numbers but need to address some weaknesses. Lunges for now and I run the treadmill with 3 lbs in each hand. Not much wt. initially but after a few miles it gets heavy.

I would advise stairs with dumbells or a weighted vest. less impact on the joints......

the main thing to remember in strength training it creating blood flow to the muscles and joints with the least amount of jaring possible.

AmPat
02-14-2012, 07:58 PM
I did those lunges. I'm sure they help at some point but after a couple of days, it hurt to take a crap. man, I forgot there were muscles down there in the nether regions. :(:o

I have finally lost my 7-pack (6 covered by one), and have a three pack. I either keep this up until I get that 6-pack back or I expire trying.;)

Tantal
02-27-2012, 05:27 PM
I lift @ work (Police Department). Was going to a local CrossFit gym, but my schedule changed making it not cost-effective.

Zafod
02-28-2012, 05:41 PM
I lift @ work (Police Department). Was going to a local CrossFit gym, but my schedule changed making it not cost-effective.

still dont buy into that crossfit ....lol but each his own.

Tantal
02-28-2012, 10:42 PM
still dont buy into that crossfit ....lol but each his own.We just have different goals. I avoid the techniques likely to cause injury (kipping/doing Olympic lifts under heavy fatigue). The goal is to have an overall good level of fitness.....basically, to be faster than the lifters and stronger than the runners. Most CF gyms will let you give it a try for free. Just check it out once. I'll guarantee you'll be smoked by the end of the 20 minute workout.

Zafod
02-29-2012, 12:15 AM
We just have different goals. I avoid the techniques likely to cause injury (kipping/doing Olympic lifts under heavy fatigue). The goal is to have an overall good level of fitness.....basically, to be faster than the lifters and stronger than the runners. Most CF gyms will let you give it a try for free. Just check it out once. I'll guarantee you'll be smoked by the end of the 20 minute workout.
see that's where you assume somthing and you really shouldn't.

I have been to a crossfit gym. In fact I helped teach them strongman events.

I have a grace time of 2:37.... What's yours?

Lol crossfit is for some people. Not me.