PDA

View Full Version : Susan G. Komen Top Officials Resign As Backlash Gains Steam

Hawkgirl
02-02-2012, 10:47 PM
Susan G. Komen, the nation's largest breast cancer charity, announced on Tuesday that it had adopted a new rule against partnering with organizations that are under investigation, and that it would therefore sever ties with Planned Parenthood, which is currently under investigation in Congress.

<snip>

Komen has faced an increasing amount of pressure from the public, women's health groups, lawmakers and even some of its own regional affiliates to reverse the decision and continue its five-year partnership with Planned Parenthood. The $600,000 that Komen donated annually to the organization provided underserved women with free and low-cost breast exams.

Planned Parenthood announced Wednesday that it had received $400,000 in donations in the 24 hours following Komen's announcement. In addition, New York Mayor Mike Bloomberg said on Thursday that he would give $250,000 to Planned Parenthood to help make up for the loss

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/02/02/susan-g-komen_n_1250651.html?icid=maing-grid7%7Cmaing10%7Cdl5%7Csec1_lnk2%26pLid%3D132253

The funny thing is that proponents of Planned Parenthood are arguing that they are for giving free mammograms to poor women..when EVERYONE knows that their main business is baby killing.

Apache
02-03-2012, 02:08 AM
No the funny thing is, everyone is ignoring the support Komen has gotten from this move. Since the announcement they have had a 100% increase in donations..., yet PP gets THAT coverage...hmmmm :rolleyes:

Novaheart
02-03-2012, 12:33 PM
Watch the pink ribbons disappear.

What will the new ribbon be?

Arroyo_Doble
02-03-2012, 12:44 PM

http://i2.cdn.turner.com/money/2009/12/10/news/companies/pbr_pabst_blue_ribbon.fortune/pabst_beer.03.jpg

txradioguy
02-03-2012, 01:00 PM
http://i2.cdn.turner.com/money/2009/12/10/news/companies/pbr_pabst_blue_ribbon.fortune/pabst_beer.03.jpg

Idiot.

txradioguy
02-03-2012, 01:02 PM

Except in typical Liberal head-up-yur-ass fashion you are totally ignoring the INCREASE in donations since the announcement was made.

The 'Rats jumping ship were obviously more concerned with keeping as much money as possible flowing to Planned Abortion and not finding a cure for breast cancer.

Hate to disappoint you and the rest of the Libtards here...but the Ribbon will remain pink.

NJCardFan
02-03-2012, 01:22 PM
Is Bloomberg going to give $250K to an anti abortion group as well?

Adam Wood
02-03-2012, 01:46 PM
Is Bloomberg going to give $250K to an anti abortion group as well?

No need. Komen just folded (http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-02-03/komen-will-continue-existing-planned-parenthood-grants-after-pulling-funds.html).

txradioguy
02-03-2012, 01:53 PM
No need. Komen just folded (http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-02-03/komen-will-continue-existing-planned-parenthood-grants-after-pulling-funds.html).

Well...Satan is certainly smiling that's for sure.

Novaheart
02-03-2012, 02:49 PM
Well...Satan is certainly smiling that's for sure.

What about Thor and Baal?

FlaGator
02-03-2012, 02:53 PM
Who?

Novaheart
02-03-2012, 03:02 PM
Who?

Thor and Baal, ie other mythological figures- one of which is actually native to our culture.

AmPat
02-03-2012, 04:01 PM

Maybe we can save more boobies than babies?

Seems clear to me: "Do I send money to help kill cancer or do I send money to help some irresponsible woman scramble the brains of her baby?"
"Hmmmm??? Choices, choices."

AmPat
02-03-2012, 04:03 PM

Well, Thor is busy digging Hell deeper for people like, well, possibly you, and Baal is still too embarrassed to show his face after being thoroughly humiliated by God.;)

NJCardFan
02-03-2012, 04:06 PM
Well, SBK will no longer get my support. There are more than 1 breast cancer charity out there. Koman just has more money to advertise.

Hawkgirl
02-03-2012, 05:07 PM
I sponsored a coworker on her Komen run a few months ago...only $40, but I will no longer participate with them. We have Komen fundraisers locally which I will stop patronizing as well.

This was a bad decision on their part.

Hawkgirl
02-03-2012, 05:08 PM
Who?

Demons.

JB
02-03-2012, 09:06 PM
Well, SBK will no longer get my support. There are more than 1 breast cancer charity out there. Koman just has more money to advertise.Well done and good for you. I don't actively advocate against giving to Komen but I discourage it. The cause is very important to me.

I am involved with these guys:

http://www.pabreastcancer.org/

But that's just me. I'm sure there are other reputable local orgs also fighting for the cause that would love to have your donation.

Kay
02-03-2012, 10:06 PM
In one of my past lives I was an executive director of a United Way.
It was a real eye opener. Whenever you give any amout of money
to support a charitable foundation, it's wise to do a bit of research
to see what programs your money is ultimately going to fund.

I think the backlash from their folding and reversing the decision
is going to be far worse. The people who launched the attacks over
the original defunding decision were users of PP services or in
other words libtarded women with no income. By going back on
this and caving to the said moral-less libtarded broke women the
backlash now will be from their donors instead of users.

RobJohnson
02-04-2012, 05:29 PM
Now Komen will have more donated money to use for lawsuits against other charities.

More (http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/12/07/komen-foundation-charities-cure_n_793176.html)

JB
02-04-2012, 09:55 PM
Now Komen will have more donated money to use for lawsuits against other charities.True.

Didn't they send out some goons to work over a little girl that was selling Easy Bake Oven Cupcakes For The Cure.

/end hyperbole

NJCardFan
02-04-2012, 11:08 PM
Well done and good for you. I don't actively advocate against giving to Komen but I discourage it. The cause is very important to me.

I am involved with these guys:

http://www.pabreastcancer.org/

But that's just me. I'm sure there are other reputable local orgs also fighting for the cause that would love to have your donation.
I've had my share of women in my life who got breast cancer so I'll still donate but Komen, due to their spaghetti spines, will no longer get my support. I won't even buy Yoplait yogurt anymore(Dannon Greek is better anyway).

SaintLouieWoman
02-05-2012, 12:45 AM
I sponsored a coworker on her Komen run a few months ago...only $40, but I will no longer participate with them. We have Komen fundraisers locally which I will stop patronizing as well.

This was a bad decision on their part.

It's not surprising. A co-worker in St Louis had a daughter who was with another charity. He always told me that when you look up the charity stats, SBK never fared well. Their expenses were always high in proportion to the money they actually gave to the work of the charity.

Another person in my office had breast cancer and was active with the SBK organization. She invited me to a couple of the receptions they had for the folks who volunteered. As a volunteer myself for various organizations, these parties were way more lavish. The local chapter had them in the Junior League, which had a fancy setting that they rented out at high prices for various events. The large shrimp platters were overflowing there, along with fancy appetizers. It was enjoyable to go as a guest, but there were a lot of guests there who hadn't participated. I felt uncomfortable, as I felt the money should have gone for the cancer research and help that they supposedly were giving, not for elegant little parties. I feel those parties were the tip of the iceberg.

I always felt uncomfortable that they were playing on the emotions of women who had gone through so much with breast cancer. I'm sure they've done a lot of good, but think they probably should have lowered that expense ratio. I never gave to them after I dug into it a bit more.

Hawkgirl
02-05-2012, 01:23 AM
I regularly donate to the American Cancer Society, to Sloan Kettering Cancer center in NY and to Calvary Hospital in the Bronx (end stage hospice care of Cancer patients)....I'm a Cancer survivor so I always give something to those organizations....I get free address labels or notepads so at least I'm getting something for it.:cool: I never looked into the business aspect of these organizations..perhaps I should. I still feel like I need to give back. Lately, I'm getting all sort of requests from local organizations. I gave some more money to a local place that houses abused women and their children. Sometimes I give to Diabetes organizations as it runs in my family. Also give to United Way through my job and to my Catholic parish when I attend Mass.

See, if the government let me keep more of the money I earn...I would give more...that's the difference liberals don't understand.

NJCardFan
02-05-2012, 02:46 AM
I regularly donate to the American Cancer Society, to Sloan Kettering Cancer center in NY and to Calvary Hospital in the Bronx (end stage hospice care of Cancer patients)....I'm a Cancer survivor so I always give something to those organizations....I get free address labels or notepads so at least I'm getting something for it.:cool: I never looked into the business aspect of these organizations..perhaps I should. I still feel like I need to give back. Lately, I'm getting all sort of requests from local organizations. I gave some more money to a local place that houses abused women and their children. Sometimes I give to Diabetes organizations as it runs in my family. Also give to United Way through my job and to my Catholic parish when I attend Mass.

See, if the government let me keep more of the money I earn...I would give more...that's the difference liberals don't understand.

United Way was caught up in a scam some years ago. They also donate to Planned Parenthood. I will never donate another dime to them either.

fettpett
02-05-2012, 01:03 PM
United Way was caught up in a scam some years ago. They also donate to Planned Parenthood. I will never donate another dime to them either.

not to mention they pulled their support for the Boy Scouts

AmPat
02-05-2012, 01:33 PM

I add to my list every day. United Way and International Red Cross are the top two, and usually any other national "charity" is off my list. I use the CFC to ID the agency I donate to because they publish the percentage toward "overhead and administration" versus to the actual charity.

Kay
02-05-2012, 02:03 PM

Not entirely true .... The way UW is set up, each local chapter is independently operated by it's
own local board of directors. Each chapter takes applications from their local area charities that
apply for funds annually. Then the local board decides how the money is divided and to who based
on need. The separate agencies have to apply for the money just like any other grant funding.

There was a big deal over a couple of chapters that wouldn't fund Boy Scouts over the gay leaders
issue, but that was a local decision and not a nationwide one. That all happened about the time I
worked there, and it really gave the rest of us a black eye. We had to run lots of articles in the paper
and do a lot of public speaking events jointly with our BS head to educate the public that those
stories about UW defunding the BS had no effect on us locally. We were a major source of funding
for our local BS, so we had to overcome the bad publicity caused by a hand full of libtards off in
other states that didn't have anything to do with us.

We didnt have a Planned Parenthood in the area where I worked, but we did have a local woman's
clinic that we defunded when they started giving out "the morning after" abortion pill. So when it
comes to UW, you really have to look at your own individual local chapter to see where the money
is going.

Kay
02-05-2012, 02:08 PM
I add to my list every day. United Way and International Red Cross are the top two, and usually any other national "charity" is off my list. I use the CFC to ID the agency I donate to because they publish the percentage toward "overhead and administration" versus to the actual charity.

Yes, that's the best way to it. It's best to give directly to a few individual charities that do good
works that you can believe in. And it is always a good idea to look at their ratio of overhead.

AmPat
02-05-2012, 02:31 PM
Yes, that's the best way to it. It's best to give directly to a few individual charities that do good
works that you can believe in. And it is always a good idea to look at their ratio of overhead.

Thanks, May I borrow a dollar?:confused:;)

Kay
02-05-2012, 02:41 PM
Sure, but I'll need to see your ratios first.

AmPat
02-05-2012, 02:45 PM
Sure, but I'll need to see your ratios first.

No problem.
100% to the AmPat household car fund. I'm stocked up on candy bars.;)

Kay
02-05-2012, 03:01 PM
I used my non-profit skills and spoke to POTUS Barry about your plight and how
you needed money for the AHCF (car fund). He sends you this donation:

http://www.milliondollarbillshop.com/liberty_trillion_dollar_billa.jpg

fettpett
02-05-2012, 04:36 PM

If you want an agency that does a damn good job and spends most of the money on relief, look into ADRA, they do a lot, and are one of the very first in after a disaster.

AmPat
02-05-2012, 05:43 PM
I used my non-profit skills and spoke to POTUS Barry about your plight and how
you needed money for the AHCF (car fund). He sends you this donation:

http://www.milliondollarbillshop.com/liberty_trillion_dollar_billa.jpg

"Why settle for Trillions, when I can have Billions?":rolleyes: