PDA

View Full Version : Pop Star Who Flipped Off Camera During Super Bowl Show Has Radical History

txradioguy
02-06-2012, 01:33 PM
The Super Bowl halftime show wouldn't be the Super Bowl halftime show without some controversy. In 2004, Justin Timberlake infamously ripped open part of singer Janet Jackson's costume. This year, controversy arose in the form of a backup singer, using her middle finger to draw attention to herself.

British pop star Mathangi “Maya” Arulpragasam, better known as M.I.A., raised her middle finger to the cameras during the Super Bowl halftime show, and appeared to sing something to the effect of "I don't give a (expletive)."

This isn't the first time M.I.A. has used her singing to stir up controversy. CMI noted in 2010 that M.I.A. composed and sang a song with favorable references to suicide bombers and the Taliban. M.I.A. is an outspoken supporter of a violent Sri Lankan separatist organization known as the Tamil Tigers, which has been designated a terrorist organization by the EU. Her views are so radical that even the New York Times Magazine called her music "Agitprop Pop" in 2010.

So flipping off 100 million viewers - an offense against propriety - is nothing compared to condoning crimes against humanity. NBC and the NFL quickly apologized for M.I.A.'s actions, the network saying its "system was late to obscure the inappropriate gesture." But if you invite outspoken radicals to perform, you're willing to court controversy - and you shouldn't be surprised when it arises.

http://newsbusters.org/blogs/paul-wilson/2012/02/06/pop-star-who-flipped-camera-during-super-bowl-show-has-radical-history#ixzz1lckwg3C5

fettpett
02-06-2012, 03:01 PM
another reason I'm glad I couldn't watch the dumbshit halftime show

JB
02-06-2012, 08:48 PM
There's a gazillion performers in this world and NBC and the NFL pick this one?

Well, you get what you pay for.

jendf
02-06-2012, 09:43 PM

Well, you get what you pay for.

I bet Madonna was pissed. Her shot at regaining some relevancy and nobody is talking about her at all today.

jendf
02-06-2012, 09:44 PM
another reason I'm glad I couldn't watch the dumbshit halftime show

It was great! It was like watching grandma show off her new hip to everyone at the local Denny's. She tried, God bless her. LOL.

Kay
02-06-2012, 10:37 PM
Whoever it is that's in charge of Superbowl half times needs to be fired.
There is a world of talented positive American acts out there. Every year
they pick out the most in-appropriate lewd old lame-assed non-entertaining
dweebs they can get.

Novaheart
02-06-2012, 10:54 PM
"Mathangi “Maya” Arulpragasam"

Deport the bitch and make her ineligible to return to the US. Or would that simply make her more famous? Frankly, I had never heard of her before today.

NJCardFan
02-06-2012, 11:19 PM
"Mathangi “Maya” Arulpragasam"

Deport the bitch and make her ineligible to return to the US. Or would that simply make her more famous? Frankly, I had never heard of her before today.

Ditto and just making this thread is giving her exactly what she wanted. The best thing to do was act like it didn't happen. Now everyone is talking about her.

As for the halftime show itself, I don't know why they keep picking acts that are so far removed from football fans that it boggles the mind. But as was said, when you dredge a swamp, you're going to get muddy.

Janice
02-07-2012, 12:30 AM

That was exactly my first thought when I read this story earlier. Seems like we just have some of the lamest people you can possibly imagine making all of our decisions for us these days in just about every category you can name.

No wonder they call liberalism a disease.

RedGrouse
02-07-2012, 12:51 AM
Never cared for the Halftime Show.

Bailey
02-07-2012, 08:41 AM
How could anyone like a 53 year old lip syncing fag hag is beyond me. I was worried she was going to break a hip and to top it all off she had that gay "world peace" bullshit. They should get AC/DC on next year or some other decent hard rock band.

fettpett
02-07-2012, 09:23 AM
Whoever it is that's in charge of Superbowl half times needs to be fired.
There is a world of talented positive American acts out there. Every year
they pick out the most in-appropriate lewd old lame-assed non-entertaining
dweebs they can get.

Blake Shelton and Miranda Lambert were already there, or Kelly Clarkson. Any of those three would have been worth watching and are much more relevant than a has-been pop singer 15 years past her prime

noonwitch
02-07-2012, 10:16 AM
I liked the ending of Madonna's show, when she and Cee-lo Green sang "Like A Prayer", the only Madonna song I ever have liked.

I was impressed by the guy dancing on the rope at one point, though. That can't be easy.

I don't know why NBC thought that she was a good pick for a superbowl halftime show. They should have hired Green, it seems to be his big year in general. Or a popular country act, that always fits with football.