PDA

View Full Version : 'Oldest living thing on earth' discovered

SarasotaRepub
02-07-2012, 01:44 PM
And here I thought it was McCain... (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/science/9066393/Ancient-seagrass-Oldest-living-thing-on-earth-discovered-in-Mediterranean-Sea.html):D

Ancient patches of a giant seagrass in the Mediterranean Sea are now considered the oldest living organism on Earth after scientists dated them as up to 200,000 years old.

By Jonathan Pearlman, Sydney
1:06PM GMT 07 Feb 2012

Australian scientists sequenced the DNA of samples of the giant seagrass, Posidonia oceanic, from 40 underwater meadows in an area spanning more than 2,000 miles, from Spain to Cyprus.

The analysis, published in the journal PLos ONE, found the seagrass was between 12,000 and 200,000 years old and was most likely to be at least 100,000 years old. This is far older than the current known oldest species, a Tasmanian plant that is believed to be 43,000 years old.

Novaheart
02-07-2012, 02:14 PM
And here I thought it was McCain... (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/science/9066393/Ancient-seagrass-Oldest-living-thing-on-earth-discovered-in-Mediterranean-Sea.html):D

Me got fitty cent say this some kind of ruse to keep shipping or someting out of water. What next? We cannot ride bicycle because gnats in St Pete found to be rarest of all kind of gnats?

Rockntractor
02-07-2012, 03:23 PM
How does it taste, can you feed it to goats?:confused:

noonwitch
02-07-2012, 03:25 PM
How does it taste, can you feed it to goats?:confused:

I notice that your question isn't "Will goats eat it?", because we all know that they would at least try to eat it.

I thought that the Joshua Tree was the oldest living thing on the planet.

Rockntractor
02-07-2012, 03:36 PM
I notice that your question isn't "Will goats eat it?", because we all know that they would at least try to eat it.

They ate my national geographic collection.:mad:
The magazines were in an out building, first they ate the wafer-board to get in, then they ate the boxes and every scrap of the magazines, not a thing left. I saw one eating a page out in the yard but it was too late.:confused:

DumbAss Tanker
02-07-2012, 03:56 PM

I'm not entirely sure the story means the oldest individual example of a species, it seems to be more about the entire species as a genetically distinct species. Hard to say, though, the excerpt at least is not terribly clear about that.

What are called Joshua trees in southern AZ are just a branching variety of yucca, they don't get astoundingly old unlike, say, bristecone pines that IIRC could be up to 5,000 years old.

Apache
02-07-2012, 05:18 PM
What the hell do they mean,"discovered"? Helen Thomas has been in front of the president for years, until recently... :D

Retread
02-07-2012, 07:30 PM
The reason for the whole article - They don't care how old it is. Just another scare tactic.

"If climate change continues, the outlook for this species is very bad," he said.

Apache
02-07-2012, 08:16 PM
The reason for the whole article - They don't care how old it is. Just another scare tactic.

Did you really think they wouldn't try that ploy? They are guessing at the age of this grass, assuming that in the 12,000 to 200,000 years it's been around there haven't been any major climate shifts... (think ice age)

If anyone with half a brain even thougt about these claims, they'd see how stupid they truly are...;)

Rockntractor
02-07-2012, 09:41 PM
Need to mow it.