PDA

View Full Version : Vigilante Justice On The Rise In Detroit

Janice
02-07-2012, 05:47 PM
http://i.imgur.com/Fpuo7.jpg

Wild West Motown: Vigilante justice on the rise in Detroit as 'justifiable homicides' jump 79% after police budget is slashed (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2097467/Vigilante-justice-rise-Detroit-justifiable-homicides-jump-79-cent-year.html)

• 34 self-defence killings in Michigan city last year
• 2,200% above U.S. average as police cuts get worse
• Response times average 24 minutes for priority calls
• Precincts and district HQs closed to public after 4pm
Vigilante justice is rising in one of America’s most violent cities as residents in crime-ridden neighbourhoods take matters into their own hands. >>>

Residents are resorting to self-defence as police response times lag to 24 minutes for priority calls on average, Mara Gay wrote in The Daily. That compares to an average of ten minutes in comparable cities across the rest of the country.

Detroit resident Julia Brown, 73, told the website the last time she called local police, authorities didn't respond until the following day. Now she carries a handgun to defend herself against criminals she says are terrorising her neighbourhood.

'We got to have a little Old West up here in Detroit. That’s what it’s gonna take,' she said. 'I don’t intend to be one of their victims, I’m planning on taking one out.'

Kevin Early said he found himself in a similar situation in November when he was held up at gunpoint in Rosedale Park. He recalled neighbours in the middle-class neighbourhood emerging from the street with shotguns as his attackers fled on foot. It was 25 minutes before an officer arrived to the scene. But like many police departments, Detroit's force is under severe financial constraints. >>>

A spokesman for Detroit Police told The Daily they are working on lowering response times, and said citizens do have a right to defend themselves.

------------------------------------------------------

Apart from the Daily Mails apparent confusion between what is self defense and what is vigilantism it does seem like its safe to say that if you havent armed up yet, now might not be a bad time. And notice how we have to go to a Brit paper to be informed about this like so many other things. Just where is the American news media? Are they still 'getting a thrill up their legs' from the marxist in chief?

DumbAss Tanker
02-07-2012, 07:23 PM
Residents are resorting to self-defence as police response times lag to 24 minutes for priority calls on average, Mara Gay wrote in The Daily. That compares to an average of ten minutes in comparable cities across the rest of the country.

Robocop, pick up the white courtesy phone.

Hawkgirl
02-07-2012, 07:42 PM
Residents are resorting to self-defence

Self defense has always been legal, I hardly call that vigilante justice.

djones520
02-07-2012, 08:03 PM
Self defense has always been legal, I hardly call that vigilante justice.

Yep, seems the paper was written by an anti-gun head whose using scare words to make people trying to defend themselves look bad.

RedGrouse
02-07-2012, 08:35 PM
Life imitates art. Robocop!

Apache
02-07-2012, 09:39 PM
Knew it was British when I saw, defence...

Too bad they don't do the same.

Rockntractor
02-07-2012, 09:49 PM
Life imitates art. Robocop!

They need robotic attack bunnies!:cool:
http://i686.photobucket.com/albums/vv230/upyourstruly/Head.jpg

Artois
02-07-2012, 11:00 PM
There was a pretty big occurrence last summer of volunteer patrols in the Detroit neighborhoods that had some serial rapists active. They actually caught some of them, and the right people at that.

TooManyChiefs
02-08-2012, 09:17 AM
Not so far from where I live there is basically a war zone that is in a constant state of violence. Police show up with AR-15's, armored cars and helicopters and sometimes the gangs have enough firepower to fight them; but they typically are more focused on other gangs rather than the cops. It would be hard for the CPD to really do anything more to equip themselves than they already have, maybe a few precision airstrikes but yea... I dont think that would go over well.

The real issue is people in those neighborhoods, and even people like me in the areas that border them, are totally helpless against the gangs. They've stripped the communities right not just to fight back but even to defend ourselves. Urban crime has spiraled out of control, and though vigilantism is a suicide mission against most of these gangs, giving the gangs a total monopoly on the use of force over the community has clearly failed.

noonwitch
02-08-2012, 10:42 AM
There was a pretty big occurrence last summer of volunteer patrols in the Detroit neighborhoods that had some serial rapists active. They actually caught some of them, and the right people at that.

I remember that.

Most of my coworkers who continue to reside within the city limits have both firearms and home alarms. For what it's worth, the Governor is taking security in state offices seriously-he put bulletproof glass up in all of our offices and we received training from the MSP on how to use mace, although we are still waiting for the actual mace to show up. We used to be allowed to carry mace/pepper spray when I was a new worker, but both Governors Engler and Granholm had issues with that.

fettpett
02-08-2012, 10:53 AM
We have both constitutional Open Carry in MI as well as shall-issue concealed carry. It's about damn time those in Detroit finally got it through their heads and are defending themselves and taking the city back from the gangs and other criminals

fettpett
02-08-2012, 10:57 AM
Not so far from where I live there is basically a war zone that is in a constant state of violence. Police show up with AR-15's, armored cars and helicopters and sometimes the gangs have enough firepower to fight them; but they typically are more focused on other gangs rather than the cops. It would be hard for the CPD to really do anything more to equip themselves than they already have, maybe a few precision airstrikes but yea... I dont think that would go over well.

The real issue is people in those neighborhoods, and even people like me in the areas that border them, are totally helpless against the gangs. They've stripped the communities right not just to fight back but even to defend ourselves. Urban crime has spiraled out of control, and though vigilantism is a suicide mission against most of these gangs, giving the gangs a total monopoly on the use of force over the community has clearly failed.

Thats what happens when you have a century of Liberal control over a major city. The blame can be put on the Daley family for their asinine anti-gun bull. Even Rhom doesn't have his head that far up his ass on the issue (though it's still pretty far up there)

TooManyChiefs
02-08-2012, 11:17 AM
Thats what happens when you have a century of Liberal control over a major city. The blame can be put on the Daley family for their asinine anti-gun bull. Even Rhom doesn't have his head that far up his ass on the issue (though it's still pretty far up there)

The mess Daley left us with was epic. Rahm's doing a good job though, tackling the budget, going after some of the worst unions (in Chicago this takes enormous balls), incrementally loosening gun control. I wish he'd push harder for CREATE, we need federal funding for that, but he's really the right kind of guy to run Chicago.

I loved it when he sicked the cops on the Occupy crowd. Hopefully he'll be just as ruthless when the same shitheads show up for the G-8 / NATO summits in May.

fettpett
02-08-2012, 11:26 AM
The mess Daley left us with was epic. Rahm's doing a good job though, tackling the budget, going after some of the worst unions (in Chicago this takes enormous balls), incrementally loosening gun control. I wish he'd push harder for CREATE, we need federal funding for that, but he's really the right kind of guy to run Chicago.

I loved it when he sicked the cops on the Occupy crowd. Hopefully he'll be just as ruthless when the same shitheads show up for the G-8 / NATO summits in May.

Pretty funny that Rahm is acting like a moderate and doing some things that libs have blasted the GOP for doing, namely demanding the changes to the teachers pay and what not.

namvet
02-08-2012, 11:51 AM

ill see your bunnie and raise you one

http://www.figures.com/forums/attachments/news/24533d1325685870-robocop-project-2012-cain1.jpg

RedGrouse
02-09-2012, 01:38 AM

Humanity's doom. :mad: :eek:

NJCardFan
02-09-2012, 09:25 AM
Residents are resorting to self-defence as police response times lag to 24 minutes for priority calls on average
This is an unfair statement. The author is making it sound like that when someone calls the police, they'll finish their coffee and donut before responding when the fact is, in a city like Detroit that is always on or near the top in crime stats, there just aren't enough cops to go around.

noonwitch
02-09-2012, 11:00 AM
We have both constitutional Open Carry in MI as well as shall-issue concealed carry. It's about damn time those in Detroit finally got it through their heads and are defending themselves and taking the city back from the gangs and other criminals

As much as most people outside of Detroit hated Coleman Young during his long tenure as mayor, he fought tooth and nail to ensure that the stronger gun laws were not put on the books to make the city have more restrictive laws than the rest of the state, due to the high crime rate in the city. This was mostly in the 70s and 80s. Coleman was a WWII vet, a Tuskegee airman. He always packed a weapon, no matter where he was going.

DumbAss Tanker
02-09-2012, 12:28 PM
This is an unfair statement. The author is making it sound like that when someone calls the police, they'll finish their coffee and donut before responding when the fact is, in a city like Detroit that is always on or near the top in crime stats, there just aren't enough cops to go around.

It may be unfair from the police point of view, but from the caller's point of view, WHY they don't show up in time to matter doesn't count for a damned thing. It's purely a 'results' situation to them, since they are fairly likely to not be alive to worry about the reasons-and-analysis angle.

"When seconds count, the police are only minutes away."

fettpett
02-09-2012, 02:31 PM
think about it this way. Just over a hundred years ago, police weren't even allowed to have guns on the job because they were afraid they would be used as a military force. You were excepted to take care of w/e until the police arrived.

Lanie
02-09-2012, 03:05 PM
Yep, seems the paper was written by an anti-gun head whose using scare words to make people trying to defend themselves look bad.

You do have some people (mostly liberals) who act like it's wrong to kill somebody unless they get to a certain amount of physical closeness or get physical. By the time that happens, one could be dead. I'd say most of these are people who haven't dealt with it themselves.