PDA

View Full Version : Drones over U.S. get OK by Congress

Janice
02-08-2012, 02:55 PM
http://i.imgur.com/FQ0UJ.jpg

Drones over U.S. get OK by Congress (http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2012/feb/7/coming-to-a-sky-near-you/)

Look! Up in the sky! Is it a bird? Is it a plane? It’s … a drone, and it’s watching you. That’s what privacy advocates fear from a bill Congress passed this week to make it easier for the government to fly unmanned spy planes in U.S. airspace. The FAA Reauthorization Act, which President Obama is expected to sign, also orders the Federal Aviation Administration to develop regulations for the testing and licensing of commercial drones by 2015.

Privacy advocates say the measure will lead to widespread use of drones for electronic surveillance by police agencies across the country and eventually by private companies as well. “There are serious policy questions on the horizon about privacy and surveillance, by both government agencies and commercial entities,” said Steven Aftergood, who heads the Project on Government Secrecy at the Federation of American Scientists.

The Electronic Frontier Foundation also is “concerned about the implications for surveillance by government agencies,” said attorney Jennifer Lynch. The provision in the legislation is the fruit of “a huge push by lawmakers and the defense sector to expand the use of drones” in American airspace, she added.

According to some estimates, the commercial drone market in the United States could be worth hundreds of millions of dollars once the FAA clears their use.

The agency projects that 30,000 drones could be in the nation’s skies by 2020. >>> The legislation would order the FAA, before the end of the year, to expedite the process through which it authorizes the use of drones by federal, state and local police and other agencies.

-------------------------------------

So ... someone tell me just why there is a republican party again? And who are the leftist career pols running the GOP? Does anybody believe this program wont be abused at some point down the road? Esp in conjunction with all these other liberty robbing laws being passed at "fast and furious" break neck speed?

Does it feel like 1984 yet? Do you miss having a representative republic based on the constitution yet?

fettpett
02-08-2012, 04:07 PM
which is safer? a helicopter full of cops or a drone with no one?

noonwitch
02-09-2012, 03:51 PM
which is safer? a helicopter full of cops or a drone with no one?

Good point, but I really don't want either randomly policing my neighborhood.

I think the use of unarmed drones for border patrol along the southern border with Mexico is a good thing, though. The technology gives the INS the ability to monitor larger regions for illegal activities. I really don't want to see a wall built along the border.

Starbuck
02-09-2012, 06:30 PM
Drone? Airplane?

Why would I care where the pilot is?:confused:

JB
02-09-2012, 06:52 PM
The agency projects that 30,000 drones could be in the nationís skies by 2020I'm gonna get some Iranian software. I want one of these. And with 30,000 of them flying around it will take years before they notice one went missing. If ever.

Janice
02-09-2012, 10:59 PM
First the man child marxist declares we are not a christian nation as he speechifies at Georgetown University after requesting and getting all references to Christ covered up. Then Janet Incompitano declares that terrorism is not terrorism but "Man-Caused Disasters". How quaint. Then Tea Partiers (along with returning veterans) are called 'terrorists' by those holding this economy hostage. And look at Ruth Bader Ginsberg. Look at the contempt she has for the bedrock of the laws of this nation. Is this how we "fundamentally transform" this country?

So according to this administration I guess, we dont really need to be overseas looking to engage terrorists ... as they all appear to be right here in our own back yard. Perhaps the Drones can be used to help locate the bunkers of those "insurrectionists" who might refer to themselves as survivalists. These undoubtedly pose some of the more serious threats to our national security.

Oddly enough, parts of Europe are trying similar stuff. Says one BBC reporter: "Imagine a perfect walk in the country, a few years from now - tranquility, clean air, birdsong in the trees and hedgerows. Suddenly a model plane swoops overhead. But there is no-one around manipulating radio controls. This is not a toy, but a drone on a photographic mission. Meanwhile, hundreds of kilometres up in space, the same area is being photographed by a satellite, which clearly pinpoints individual trees and animals. What is there to spy on? No secret military installations here."

If it was a "one off", I would think nothing of it. But liberty is always under assault, all over the world. And here too. Liberty is never safe from tyranny. And our constitution is constantly being shredded. This is nothing new. Its been in this process little by little over the last hundred years or so. But the Marxist in Chief is clearly "off to the races" on this quest. Question is, will enough of us take note before the federal government is completely unmoored from its origin and a centralized, top down, administrative oligarchy that is a power unto itself is in its place? Or is it too late?

I think they are off to a wonderful start (from their point of view) as they constantly change the meaning of the language. The words. What do they call it? Doublespeak? God is expelled, absolute truth abolished, while "doublespeak" is promoted. What constitutes "terrorism" now?

Sorry, I just dont trust these power hungry elitist utopians.

Starbuck
02-09-2012, 11:35 PM
I'm gonna get some Iranian software. I want one of these. And with 30,000 of them flying around it will take years before they notice one went missing. If ever.

:rotfl:

Novaheart
02-10-2012, 12:53 AM
I'm gonna get some Iranian software. I want one of these. And with 30,000 of them flying around it will take years before they notice one went missing. If ever.

Maybe they can pull advertising banners like the planes that ruin the peaceful sounds of the waves.

Odysseus
02-10-2012, 09:39 AM
The only real change is that they are allowing remotely piloted vehicles to occupy US airspace. They won't be going into cities and blowing up drug dealers, but they will be able to remain on station to observe drug trafficking across the border and other activities in remote areas. The technology itself isn't evil, it's just a matter of maintaining vigilance so that the power is not abused.

Novaheart
02-10-2012, 10:00 AM
The only real change is that they are allowing remotely piloted vehicles to occupy US airspace. They won't be going into cities and blowing up drug dealers, but they will be able to remain on station to observe drug trafficking across the border and other activities in remote areas. The technology itself isn't evil, it's just a matter of maintaining vigilance so that the power is not abused.

I think the understandable public response is that drones or any other eye in the sky is another nail in the coffin of the Fourth Amendment, piercing the veneer of privacy. Like some other societies, our security isn't making us feel safer, it's making us feel like prisoners. The public is getting tired of being told that the War On Drugs justifies these measures and isn't quite willing to buy that they are essential for national security. The public wants to be able to swim naked in the back yard if it wants, without feeling like the government is watching.

If a drone lands in my yard, I am keeping it and selling it on ebay-slovenia.

Arroyo_Doble
02-10-2012, 10:26 AM
I think the understandable public response is that drones or any other eye in the sky is another nail in the coffin of the Fourth Amendment, piercing the veneer of privacy. Like some other societies, our security isn't making us feel safer, it's making us feel like prisoners. The public is getting tired of being told that the War On Drugs justifies these measures and isn't quite willing to buy that they are essential for national security. The public wants to be able to swim naked in the back yard if it wants, without feeling like the government is watching.

The police can park in front of my house all day. I will even bring them coffee.

Novaheart
02-10-2012, 10:42 AM
The police can park in front of my house all day. I will even bring them coffee.

But can they peer through your windows?

Arroyo_Doble
02-10-2012, 10:50 AM
But can they peer through your windows?

It would be easy. The entire front of the house has no curtains. And it is a fishbowl.

They can watch me and my friends drink wine by the fire and talk about nothing whatsoever.

Bailey
02-10-2012, 11:55 AM
It would be easy. The entire front of the house has no curtains. And it is a fishbowl.

They can watch me and my friends drink wine by the fire and talk about nothing whatsoever.

I'm all for them busting into your house with a bad search warrant and rough you and your friends up and then give you a half assed apology, while you sit there nursing a busted nose. That would be good also.

Arroyo_Doble
02-10-2012, 12:04 PM
I'm all for them busting into your house with a bad search warrant and rough you and your friends up and then give you a half assed apology, while you sit there nursing a busted nose. That would be good also.

I'ld rather they did that at the fast drug takeout corner down the street.

Rockntractor
02-10-2012, 12:10 PM
I'ld rather they did that at the fast drug takeout corner down the street.

Take out your competition? The government shouldn't favor businesses and help you form a monopoly.:rolleyes:

Arroyo_Doble
02-10-2012, 12:15 PM
Take out your competition? The government shouldn't favor businesses and help you form a monopoly.:rolleyes:

So you are a Trust Buster, are you?

Rockntractor
02-10-2012, 12:18 PM
So you are a Trust Buster, are you?

I don't trust trust, it's not a must!

Janice
02-10-2012, 01:09 PM

Makes one wonder what the bag limit on these things might be.

:popcorn:

noonwitch
02-10-2012, 03:06 PM

Are you going to have a naked pool party before you sell it on ebay-slovenia?

Odysseus
02-10-2012, 03:24 PM

This isn't about your feelings. Believe me when I say that nobody wants to see you swimming naked. The Fourth Amendment guarantees us the right to be secure in our persons, papers and homes. It does not provide an expectation of privacy in public, and the uses of these drones are going to be the same as the uses of other police aircraft, at least those uses which can be done without a crew. They will be used to track movements along the border, for example, to include drug smuggling and illegal immigration. They won't be used to peer over your backyard fence.

Rockntractor
02-10-2012, 03:27 PM
This isn't about your feelings. Believe me when I say that nobody wants to see you swimming naked.

I'm not so sure about Dolby.:confused:

JB
02-10-2012, 11:31 PM
Maybe they can pull advertising banners like the planes that ruin the peaceful sounds of the waves.You can do whatever you want with yours.

I'm going to weaponize mine and nickname it The Panty Remover.

Odysseus
02-11-2012, 03:24 PM
You can do whatever you want with yours.

I'm going to weaponize mine and nickname it The Panty Remover.

I thought that we were talking about drones. :confused::D

Janice
05-04-2012, 02:47 AM
http://i.imgur.com/gncbP.jpg

Your' Car Won't Be After 2015

After a certain point, it's not paranoia.

The latest brick in the wall is the predictably named "Moving Ahead For Progress in the 21st Century Act," also known as Senate Bill 1813. This legislation -- already passed by the Senate and likely to be passed by the House -- will impose a legal requirement that all new cars made beginning with the 2015 models be fitted with so-called Event Data Recorders (EDRs). These are the "black boxes" you may have read about that store data about how you drive -- including whether you wear a seat belt and how fast you drive -- ostensibly for purposes of post-accident investigation.

These EDRs are not new. GM and other automakers have been installing them in new cars for years -- in GM's case, since the late 1990s. What's new is the proposed federal mandate, which would make it illegal to not have one -- or (in all likelihood) to remove or disable one in a car required to have the device.

The question arises: why?

Several possibilities come to mind >>>

And naturally, they -- the government, insurance companies -- will be able to track your every move, noting (and recording) where you've been and when. This will create a surveillance net beyond anything that ever existed previously. Some will not sweat this: After all, if you've got nothing to hide, why worry? Except for the fact that, courtesy of almost everything we do being either "illegal" or at least "suspicious," we all have a great deal to hide. The naivety of the Don't Worry, it's No Big Deal crowd is breathtaking.

But the last possibility is probably the creepiest: EDRs tied into your car's GPS will give them -- the government and/or corporations -- literal physical control over (hack) "your" vehicle. This is not conspiracy theorizing. It is technological fact. Current GM vehicles equipped with the same technology about to be mandated for every vehicle can be disabled remotely. Just turned off. >>>

In the future, it will be used to limit your driving -- for the sake of "energy conservation" or, perhaps, "the environment." It will be the perfect, er, vehicle, for implementing U.N. Agenda 21 -- the plan to herd all of us formerly free-range tax cattle into urban feedlots. So much easier to control us this way. No more bailing out to the country or living off the grid - unless you get there (and to your work) by walking.

The pieces are all coming together.

First, computer-controlled cars. Next, widespread adoption of GPS in cars. Then, EDRs tied into them. >>>

Our cars were once a tangible expression of the freedom ideal. They are fast becoming mobile cages. And the really devilish thing is they're making us pay the costs of our own imprisonment, too.

AmericanSpectator (http://spectator.org/archives/2012/04/25/your-car-wont-be-after-2015)

-----------------------------------------------

And just as all things seemingly innocently start out -- first voluntary... then mandatory. Every single dem voted for this bill in the Senate. (http://www.senate.gov/legislative/LIS/roll_call_lists/roll_call_vote_cfm.cfm?congress=112&session=2&vote=00048) 22 Republicans voted for it, 22 voted against it. 3 GOP did not vote. (This bill also contains among other attachments the provision that allows the IRS to confiscate passports). So ONLY 22 Senators in our Country aren't for Government tracking our every move. And of course the political royalty will be exempt.

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny. When the government fears it's people, there is liberty. All the do-gooders (and most think they're doing good) are destroying Liberty ... a "death by a thousand cuts." In the meantime, year three with no budget proposed or voted on in the US Senate. Someone remind me umm... the purpose of the Senate again is what?