PDA

View Full Version : Well, now we know who the stupidest congressman is!

linda22003
02-09-2012, 10:43 AM
And that's a hard title to earn! It's John Fleming, R- Louisiana.

This guy's staffers have to be pointing fingers at each other, blaming each other for letting the Congressman actually update his own Facebook page. He didn't pick up on "The Onion" being satire, and he had NO powers of critical thinking to tell him the story was bogus.

As someone posted on his Facebook post before it was pulled, "How did you get elected?"

http://www.nymag.com/daily/intel/2012/02/congressman-abortionplex-facebook-onion-john-fleming.html?imw=Y&f=most-emailed-24h5

Arroyo_Doble
02-09-2012, 11:13 AM
Sorry. The honor of Stupidest Congressman still belongs to the reigning champion, Rep. Hank Johnson (D-Ga.) who, during a House Armed Services Committee meeting with the head of the Pacific Fleet over a planned buildup of forces on Guam, voiced his concern that "... the whole island will become so overly populated that it will tip over and capsize."

In the understated military way that is almost British, the admiral replied,"We don't anticipate that."

Novaheart
02-09-2012, 11:23 AM
And that's a hard title to earn! It's John Fleming, R- Louisiana.

This guy's staffers have to be pointing fingers at each other, blaming each other for letting the Congressman actually update his own Facebook page. He didn't pick up on "The Onion" being satire, and he had NO powers of critical thinking to tell him the story was bogus.

As someone posted on his Facebook post before it was pulled, "How did you get elected?"

http://www.nymag.com/daily/intel/2012/02/congressman-abortionplex-facebook-onion-john-fleming.html?imw=Y&f=most-emailed-24h5

Sorry. The honor of Stupidest Congressman still belongs to the reigning champion, Rep. Hank Johnson (D-Ga.) who, during a House Armed Services Committee meeting with the head of the Pacific Fleet over a planned buildup of forces on Guam, voiced his concern that "... the whole island will become so overly populated that it will tip over and capsize."

In the understated military way that is almost British, the admiral replied,"We don't anticipate that."

I have to declare Arroyo the winner on this one. While Fleming is clearly not too bright, Johnson falls into the category of dangerously stupid.

AmPat
02-09-2012, 11:30 AM

I have to declare Arroyo the winner on this one. While Fleming is clearly not too bright, Johnson falls into the category of dangerously stupid.

OMG! A twofer. I actually agree with AD and Nova. I gotta recheck my facts, maybe glo-Bull warming is real???:eek:

linda22003
02-09-2012, 11:40 AM

That IS pretty good. At least we've demonstrated that heads are thick on both sides of the aisle!

Novaheart
02-09-2012, 11:44 AM
Hank Johnson
Assumed office
January 3, 2007
Preceded by Cynthia McKinney

Remember the words of my wise old grandfather: "Be careful what you pray for."

AmPat
02-09-2012, 11:49 AM
That IS pretty good. At least we've demonstrated that heads are thick on both sides of the aisle!

There are indeed. I'm wondering why you dug this up when I would bet that in a head to head stupid contest, we could pile up huge mounds of liberal stupid to these small mole hills of Conservative stupid.

Articulate_Ape
02-09-2012, 11:53 AM

That one was a classic. :D

linda22003
02-09-2012, 11:53 AM
There are indeed. I'm wondering why you dug this up when I would bet that in a head to head stupid contest, we could pile up huge mounds of liberal stupid to these small mole hills of Conservative stupid.

I "dug it up" because the story got a lot of attention yesterday. I didn't go back years to try to find evidence. This was an egregious example of someone who doesn't understand what's on the intertubes or how to interpret a "news" story.
I didn't know we weren't allowed to admit there is stupid on both sides. And "mole hills" are open to interpretation. I would have to reassess my vote if this were my Congressman; I vote against mine each time as it is. (Hasn't worked yet).

Novaheart
02-09-2012, 11:57 AM

I'd take that bet. Remember that the Republican frontrunners believe in the damnedest things. Romney believes that as recently as the 9th century the Nephites ruled North America and were defeated and killed by the nasty American Indians. Santorum believes that a Nazi in a funny hat and gold slippers has a tie-line to Jesus.

txradioguy
02-09-2012, 12:04 PM
I'd take that bet..

You'll lose.

AmPat
02-09-2012, 12:04 PM
I "dug it up" because the story got a lot of attention yesterday. I didn't go back years to try to find evidence. This was an egregious example of someone who doesn't understand what's on the intertubes or how to interpret a "news" story.
I didn't know we weren't allowed to admit there is stupid on both sides. And "mole hills" are open to interpretation. I would have to reassess my vote if this were my Congressman; I vote against mine each time as it is. (Hasn't worked yet).

I don't disagree. I just detect in you a certain delight in exposing Conservatives. Maybe I'm wrong. Just wondering since you claimed he was the stupidest Congressman and not a victim of ignorance who got duped. The Onion has gotten many victims over their stories throughout the years. Your unseating of and apparent ignorance of Hank Johnson and his stupidity is astounding. It would take more than a simple misinterpretation and ignorance of The Onion to crown a new leader of The Stupidest Congressman Award. Atlanta should be proud, they have back to back winners from the same district.

linda22003
02-09-2012, 12:13 PM
I don't disagree. I just detect in you a certain delight in exposing Conservatives. Maybe I'm wrong. Just wondering since you claimed he was the stupidest Congressman and not a victim of ignorance who got duped. The Onion has gotten many victims over their stories throughout the years. Your unseating of and apparent ignorance of Hank Johnson and his stupidity is astounding. It would take more than a simple misinterpretation and ignorance of The Onion to crown a new leader of The Stupidest Congressman Award. Atlanta should be proud, they have back to back winners from the same district.

No, I don't think I take "delight in exposing Conservatives". Stupid is stupid and is on both sides of the aisle, as I think I made quite clear.

I hadn't heard the Hank Johnson story before, and I think you may have noticed that I immediately subscribed to the idea that he might in fact be the Winnah. (How did I unseat Hank Johnson? That's something his constiituents should do as soon as possible).

Calling Fleming "a victim of ignorance who got duped" is so much spin that you should probably lie down for awhile. :p He picked up the story on his own and RAN with it.

AmPat
02-09-2012, 12:35 PM
No, I don't think I take "delight in exposing Conservatives". Stupid is stupid and is on both sides of the aisle, as I think I made quite clear.

I hadn't heard the Hank Johnson story before, and I think you may have noticed that I immediately subscribed to the idea that he might in fact be the Winnah. (How did I unseat Hank Johnson? That's something his constiituents should do as soon as possible).

Calling Fleming "a victim of ignorance who got duped" is so much spin that you should probably lie down for awhile. :p He picked up the story on his own and RAN with it.
I don't know how you missed the Johnson story but I don't excuse Fleming. I'm saying that being actively fooled by the Onion is quite different than and much more excusable than volunteering your stupidity as liberals like Johnson routinely do.

linda22003
02-09-2012, 12:55 PM
I don't know how I missed the "Guam might sink" story, either. I didn't have the Armed Services Committee in my portfolio at the time, but it does seem to have gotten a lot of attention.

Still "The Onion" didn't do anything to lure Rep. Fleming in. Most people know it's a satire publication. Even if you don't know, a story so over the top should have triggered his bullshit detector - if he had one. I'm betting someone emailed it to him and he just threw it up on Facebook too quickly.

fettpett
02-09-2012, 12:57 PM
I'd take that bet. Remember that the Republican frontrunners believe in the damnedest things. Romney believes that as recently as the 9th century the Nephites ruled North America and were defeated and killed by the nasty American Indians. Santorum believes that a Nazi in a funny hat and gold slippers has a tie-line to Jesus.

He wasn't a Nazi

Following his 14th birthday in 1941, Ratzinger was conscripted into the Hitler Youth—as membership was required by law for all 14-year-old German boys after December 1939[9]—but was an unenthusiastic member who refused to attend meetings, according to his brother.[10] In 1941, one of Ratzinger's cousins, a 14-year-old boy with Down syndrome, was taken away by the Nazi regime and killed during the Action T4 campaign of Nazi eugenics.[11] In 1943, while still in seminary, he was drafted into the German anti-aircraft corps as Luftwaffenhelfer, (Air force child soldier).[10] Ratzinger then trained in the German infantry.[12] As the Allied front drew closer to his post in 1945, he deserted back to his family's home in Traunstein after his unit had ceased to exist, just as American troops established their headquarters in the Ratzinger household.[13] As a German soldier, he was put in a POW camp but was released a few months later at the end of the war in the summer of 1945.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pope_Benedict_XVI#Early_life:_1927.E2.80.9351

Rockntractor
02-09-2012, 12:58 PM
I'm sure this has more to do with the dubious honor he has had bestowed on him this morning.

Fleming is a far-right Republican according to GovTrack's own analysis of bill sponsorship. The graph to the left shows Fleming as a large dot among his peers, with the left-right axis indicating ideology and the up-down axis representing legislative leadership.
http://www.govtrack.us/congress/person.xpd?id=412275

Rockntractor
02-09-2012, 01:01 PM
How many people jump out of bed in the morning and read The Onion to see what the spoof of the day is?
Often the actual news reads like a spoof!

linda22003
02-09-2012, 01:04 PM
I can believe that it made him more temperamentally likely to believe that Planned Parenthood would build an abortion clinic with rock climbing walls, movies theatres, and cafes - for eight BILLION dollars. :p

http://www.theonion.com/articles/planned-parenthood-opens-8-billion-abortionplex,20476/