PDA

View Full Version : Gorbachev: Putin has exhausted himself as Russian leader

Lanie
02-09-2012, 12:10 PM
The former Soviet leader Mikhail Gorbachev has said Vladimir Putin has exhausted himself as Russia's leader.

Gorbachev, who called on Putin to step down as protests against his rule grew in December, said the powerful prime minister could face a sustained popular uprising against his rule similar to those seen in Arab capitals.

"He has exhausted himself," Gorbachev said during a lecture at a Moscow university on Thursday. "If he does not overcome himself, change the way things are and I think it will be difficult for him to do that then everything will end up on city squares."

Gorbachev first called for Putin to resign after tens of thousands of Russians took to the streets in mid-December demanding new elections in the wake of a contested parliamentary vote. As the 4 March presidential election approaches, protesters have turned their attention to preventing Putin's return to the Kremlin.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2012/feb/09/gorbachev-putin-exhausted-himself-russian

Lanie
02-09-2012, 12:12 PM
He always has taken up for freedom. I'll be sorry when he dies or gets too old for this crap.

Putin has been around since what? 2000? He needs to go. He's one of those guys I can look at and think "Oh crap."

noonwitch
02-09-2012, 01:56 PM
Gorbie is still alive? Good for him. The old school soviets tried to kill him, that was the event that led to Yeltsin's standoff with the army and the ultimate overthrow of the USSR.

I think Putin is somewhat scary, given his backround with the KGB and all. But the Russian people seem to really like him, for some reason, and have voted for him regularly. Yet, he has embraced the Russian Orthodox church, which was close to whithering away during the USSR years.

fettpett
02-09-2012, 02:34 PM
http://ca.news.yahoo.com/russias-putin-warns-against-outside-interference-183820257.html

Yeah, Putin is nothing more than a dictator disguising himself as a democratically elected President/Prime Minister.

Arroyo_Doble
02-09-2012, 02:37 PM
http://ca.news.yahoo.com/russias-putin-warns-against-outside-interference-183820257.html

Yeah, Putin is nothing more than a dictator disguising himself as a democratically elected President/Prime Minister.

There seem to be more and more of those around. Sooner or later, the world will tire of it and declare democracy a fraud.

Lanie
02-09-2012, 03:00 PM
Gorbie is still alive? Good for him. The old school soviets tried to kill him, that was the event that led to Yeltsin's standoff with the army and the ultimate overthrow of the USSR.

I think Putin is somewhat scary, given his backround with the KGB and all. But the Russian people seem to really like him, for some reason, and have voted for him regularly. Yet, he has embraced the Russian Orthodox church, which was close to whithering away during the USSR years.

I think one of the reasons Putin keeps getting voted in is because he has been known to limit the media.