PDA

View Full Version : Israel’s real target: Obama

Arroyo_Doble
02-09-2012, 01:45 PM
Israel’s real target: Obama (http://www.salon.com/2012/02/09/israels_real_target_obama/singleton/)

After being elected in large part because he’d opposed a “dumb” war in Iraq, President Obama finds himself confronting an even dumber one in Iran. Exponentially dumber, actually.

Dumb because like the targeted assassinations of Iranian nuclear scientists rarely cited by columnist commandoes, bombing raids alone can’t achieve the alleged goal: preventing the Ayatollahs from acquiring nuclear weapons.

Slow them down, probably. Stop them, no. Short of a full-scale invasion and occupation of a nation three times larger than neighboring Iraq in population and five times larger in land area, that can’t be done. Global disapproval didn’t stop North Korea, Pakistan or, for that matter, Israel.

Exponentially dumb because it could set the entire Middle East aflame.

You’d think the Israelis, of all people, would recognize that threatening a people with death and destruction hardens their resolve. Yet the New York Times reports that Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu “told visitors that he believes the Tehran government to be deeply unpopular, indeed despised, and that a careful attack on its nuclear facilities might even be welcomed by Iranian citizens.”

Yes, and Dick Cheney predicted that U.S. forces invading Iraq would be greeted with candy and flowers. “Most analysts [in Jerusalem] and abroad,” the Times noted cautiously, “take a different view.” Indeed, historical examples of civilian populations cheering on aerial bombardments are rare, if not nonexistent. Despite his and Cheney’s obvious affinities, one would expect Netanyahu to be made of saner stuff.

Assuming that the Israeli prime minister’s motives for threatening a unilateral Israeli strike against Iranian nuclear facilities are as reported. I suspect they are not. To put it bluntly, it’s not so much the regime in Tehran that Netanyahu is keen to destabilize as the one in Washington. The question now is how far he’s willing to take it.

txradioguy
02-09-2012, 02:24 PM
Israel’s real target: Obama (http://www.salon.com/2012/02/09/israels_real_target_obama/singleton/)

http://www.vistax64.com/attachments/chillout-room/5916d1219055969-ive-lost-plot-what-do-you-think-tinfoil-hat.jpg

DumbAss Tanker
02-09-2012, 02:25 PM
Seems to do a lot of projection of US political context onto Israel, which has legitimate security concerns of its own, distinct from ours, a distinction enhanced by the distance Obama has intentionally put between the two. They really have three options:

Israel makes effusive overtures of undying friendship, peace, and love to Iran, the latter of which's leadership has been rather unequivocal about wanting to wipe the former from the map as an abomination. Pretty much a non-starter, logically as well as politically.

Israel counts on the West, the UN, and us in particular, to take care of the problem rather than inflame it and pour gasoline all over it by directly squabbling with Iran. This is kind of like what the Bosnians in Srebenica did. Probably leads to similar results for Israel now as it did for the Bosnians then, except with more fire. Lots more fire.

Israel gives up on the West doing anything productive in time to matter and takes a bellicose stand, preparing to back it up with force without a lot of worry about fair-weather allies and friends, which has worked for them pretty well so far, once in Iraq and once in Syria.

Of the three options, it's not hard at all to see that only one makes sense from their point of view.

Rockntractor
02-09-2012, 02:28 PM
http://www.vistax64.com/attachments/chillout-room/5916d1219055969-ive-lost-plot-what-do-you-think-tinfoil-hat.jpg

Another stupid liberal trick.

noonwitch
02-09-2012, 02:31 PM
I would dismiss it, except that Israeli citizens who were born in the US can vote in both countries' elections.

Arroyo_Doble
02-09-2012, 02:32 PM
Seems to do a lot of projection of US political context onto Israel, which has legitimate security concerns of its own, distinct from ours, a distinction enhanced by the distance Obama has intentionally put between the two. They really have three options:

Israel makes effusive overtures of undying friendship, peace, and love to Iran, the latter of which's leadership has been rather unequivocal about wanting to wipe the former from the map as an abomination. Pretty much a non-starter, logically as well as politically.

Israel counts on the West, the UN, and us in particular, to take care of the problem rather than inflame it and pour gasoline all over it by directly squabbling with Iran. This is kind of like what the Bosnians in Srebenica did. Probably leads to similar results for Israel now as it did for the Bosnians then, except with more fire. Lots more fire.

Israel gives up on the West doing anything productive in time to matter and takes a bellicose stand, preparing to back it up with force without a lot of worry about fair-weather allies and friends, which has worked for them pretty well so far, once in Iraq and once in Syria.

Of the three options, it's not hard at all to see that only one makes sense from their point of view.

If Israel is free to act in its own interests, as they see them, without regards for the repercussions for others, why can't my country do the same? Keep in mind, I am not an Israeli.

txradioguy
02-09-2012, 02:36 PM
If Israel is free to act in its own interests, as they see them, without regards for the repercussions for others, why can't my country do the same? Keep in mind, I am not an Israeli.

Amazing how your tone changes with a change in the President.

Good job fanboy!

DumbAss Tanker
02-09-2012, 04:11 PM

If you are really sure the US is your country, which might be a bit ambiguous to some of us, the answer is that it CAN, it just DOESN'T.