PDA

View Full Version : Navy names ship after Gabrielle Giffords

Janice
02-11-2012, 01:01 AM
http://i.imgur.com/p7s4d.jpg

Navy names ship after Gabrielle Giffords (http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2012/02/10/navy-names-ship-after-gabrielle-giffords/)

In a teary-eyed ceremony Friday, the U.S. Navy honored the former congresswoman from Arizona by adding her name to its latest littoral combat ship, USS Gabrielle Giffords.

Navy Secretary Ray Mabus, his voice cracking, proudly made the announcement in front of a large crowd of Navy officials in the Pentagon courtyard. Friends, family and colleagues of Giffords were also in attendance, including her husband, Mark Kelly, and Roxanna Green, mother of 9-year-old Christina-Taylor Green, who was one of six killed in the same tragic shooting incident that left Giffords badly wounded in January 2011. Mabus announced that Roxanna will be the ship’s “sponsor” and that her initials will be welded into the keel.

-------------------------------------------

WTF! What is this now? McHale's Navy? Do these people have absolutely no shame? MUST they politicize every damn thing they come into contact with? Whats next? The USS Barnie Frank? Words -- fail me.

Janice
02-11-2012, 05:24 PM
I'm sure obama and his ilk would prefer to name the ship the USS Useful Victim.

Never miss a chance to demean the military.

djones520
02-11-2012, 05:54 PM
I didn't find this demeaning at all. Granted, I've been off since word of this came out, but I haven't heard anyone else voicing outrage. None of my friends in the Navy have said a word about it.

txradioguy
02-11-2012, 06:10 PM
I didn't find this demeaning at all. Granted, I've been off since word of this came out, but I haven't heard anyone else voicing outrage. None of my friends in the Navy have said a word about it.

What the hell did Gabby Giffords do for the Navy or for the Military?

The naming of a ship is SUPPOSED to be reserved for Navy or Marine Corps heroes MoH recipients or someone that made a great contribution to the USN if a persons name is used.

I'm sorry she got shot...I'm glad she made a recovery...but this is just dumb.

What's next? An Air Force C-17 named "The Spirit of William J. Clinton"? The Alinsky Class Frigate?

djones520
02-11-2012, 06:21 PM
What the hell did Gabby Giffords do for the Navy or for the Military?

The naming of a ship is SUPPOSED to be reserved for Navy or Marine Corps heroes MoH recipients or someone that made a great contribution to the USN if a persons name is used.

I'm sorry she got shot...I'm glad she made a recovery...but this is just dumb.

What's next? An Air Force C-17 named "The Spirit of William J. Clinton"? The Alinsky Class Frigate?

Actually, the LCS's have been named after cities up till now, this one was expected to be the USS Phoenix.

And what has she done for the military? As a Congresswoman, she lobbied quite a bit for funding for military projects like the F-35, as well as a worked on a lot of other things to aid Davis-Monthan AFB. She's also a national hero and symbol of perserverance, as well as a military spouse.

This was undoubtedly a political play to capitalize on the positive energy her name draws right now, but voicing outrage over this seems pretty childish to me.

txradioguy
02-11-2012, 06:26 PM
Actually, the LCS's have been named after cities up till now, this one was expected to be the USS Phoenix.

Still doesn't change the point I was making.

And what has she done for the military? As a Congresswoman, she lobbied quite a bit for funding for military projects like the F-35, as well as a worked on a lot of other things to aid Davis-Monthan AFB. She's also a national hero and symbol of perserverance, as well as a military spouse.

And NONE of that makes her deserving of having her name on a ship. How many other congress critters do the same thing every day when it comes to lobbying for money for the military? Are we to start putting THEIR names on ships and aircraft too?

How about the LCS USS John Murtha?

Maybe CVN 80 the USS John F. Kerry?

No no no I've got it...let's name a B-1 Bomber...The Spirit of 1LT Kelly Flynn.

This was undoubtedly a political play to capitalize on the positive energy her name draws right now,

That's all it is. Political. Before she got shot none of us outside Arizona knew who she was.

but voicing outrage over this seems pretty childish to me.

Of course it does. :rolleyes:

Janice
02-11-2012, 06:27 PM

Ive always had the impression (depending on the type of ship) they were normally named after dead patriots (such as Navy heros) at the least, or live Presidents at most. How about naming it after Todd Beamer, the guy on the 9/11 flight who was heard to say, "Are you guys ready? Let's roll!" and fought and brought down the plane, saving perhaps the White House and their staff. The USS Todd Beamer would be a fine addition. Heck at least name it after the federal judge who died at the scene, protecting others. But this ... blatant political opportunism.

Im thinkin something like the USS Che Guevera, or the USS Lenin might better suit this lot.

djones520
02-11-2012, 06:29 PM
There already is a USS John Murtha.

txradioguy
02-11-2012, 06:30 PM
Ive always had the impression (depending on the type of ship) they were normally named after dead patriots (such as Navy heros) at the least, or live Presidents at most. How about naming it after Todd Beamer, the guy on the 9/11 flight who was heard to say, "Are you guys ready? Let's roll!" and fought and brought down the plane, saving perhaps the White House and their staff. The USS Todd Beamer would be a fine addition. Heck at least name it after the federal judge who died at the scene, protecting others. But this ... blatant political opportunism.

Im thinkin something like the USS Che Guevera, or the USS Lenin might better suit this lot.

QFT

Kay
02-11-2012, 07:14 PM
I agree with Tx and Janice. Her husband is more deserving of a namesake
ship than she is. At least he was an astronought and served in the military.
This is inappropriate. Naming a federal building after her would've been better.

Rockntractor
02-11-2012, 07:18 PM
I agree with Tx and Janice. Her husband is more deserving of a namesake
ship than she is. At least he was an astronought and served in the military.
This is inappropriate. Naming a federal building after her would've been better.

I feel bad for the lady, but getting shot was not a great accomplishment, it was more like a very bad unfair break.
She did show courage in resigning and I respect her for that, but this is just typical liberalism, they will use her as an icon for gun control.

namvet
02-11-2012, 11:48 PM
here take one of these

http://pswcsd.clui.org/sites/default/files/imagecache/clui-image/clui/post_images/shipbreaking6_600.jpg

nightflight
02-11-2012, 11:56 PM
Am I the only one to see the irony here?

JB
02-11-2012, 11:58 PM
This was undoubtedly a political play to capitalize on the positive energy her name draws right now, but voicing outrage over this seems pretty childish to me.Of course. It's the political play that drives the outrage. Otherwise, why else would this bother a person.

Did James Brady ever get a ship? I know he got the WH press room.

Bailey
02-12-2012, 12:02 AM
I am sorry all she did was take a bullet and not storming a hill or saving someones life. She is not a hero, she is a victum and I cant understand why they would name a ship after her.

Not saying she isnt working hard to recover but a hero she aint.

Rockntractor
02-12-2012, 12:06 AM
voicing outrage over this seems pretty childish to me.

Of course you are above any of us!

txradioguy
02-12-2012, 04:29 AM
I feel bad for the lady, but getting shot was not a great accomplishment, it was more like a very bad unfair break.
She did show courage in resigning and I respect her for that, but this is just typical liberalism, they will use her as an icon for gun control.

I can see it now...The Brady/Giffords Gun Safety Act of 2013.

Novaheart
02-12-2012, 01:35 PM

I realize that the message doesn't get to the honored person if a policy of not naming things after living people were to be adopted, but even so, I have a problem with naming ships or any other public possession after a living person. Unless of course, that living person personally paid for the public possession, like renaming Pinellas General Hospital the Blueblood Memorial Medical center.... and even then I should think that a donor would be sufficiently reticent to wish that a public fixture continue with its better known name.

Fairfax County Public Schools instituted a policy years ago of not naming buildings after people. Smart move, because in places where that is not the case each new building becomes a political battle ground for those insisting it be named for their race, culture, or hero. Of course, Fairfax did this years after naming everything after Confederate generals. LOL!

I really like the names the British give their ships. I like Intrepid, and Dauntless, and Bugger Argentina.

So ditch these memorials to presidents and other politicians, even admirals and the like, and get us some butch names like Avenger and Invincible.

I'm OK with coastal state names as well.

MountainMan
02-13-2012, 02:01 AM

Im sorry but this is BULLSHIT. We don't name our naval vessels after victims of crime. We name our naval vessels after navy and marine corp heroes who accomplished valorous acts. Of course you throw in the occasional President in naming a ship but you don't throw in a fucking congresswoman who was out promising more federal cash to her district?

WTF?!?!?!?! Did she help fund the naval port of Lake Havasu?

Novaheart
02-13-2012, 12:50 PM
Im sorry but this is BULLSHIT. We don't name our naval vessels after victims of crime. We name our naval vessels after navy and marine corp heroes who accomplished valorous acts. Of course you throw in the occasional President in naming a ship but you don't throw in a fucking congresswoman who was out promising more federal cash to her district?

WTF?!?!?!?! Did she help fund the naval port of Lake Havasu?

Carl Vinson (November 18, 1883 – June 1, 1981) was a United States Representative from Georgia. He was a Democrat and the first person to serve for more than 50 years in the United States House of Representatives. He was known as "The Father of the Two-Ocean Navy".

BTW. Vinson had no children, so according to some of the greater intellectual lights found on this board, his life was without purpose or value.

BadCat
02-13-2012, 12:53 PM
Why did the Navy name a ship the USS Hole In The Head?

Bailey
02-13-2012, 01:25 PM

Or the USS Please wipe the drool off my face (Im going to hell for that) :D

Novaheart
02-13-2012, 02:24 PM

Or the USS Please wipe the drool off my face (Im going to hell for that) :D

If ever there were a case of water seeking its own level.

Bailey
02-13-2012, 02:43 PM
If ever there were a case of water seeking its own level.

I am sorry they didnt come up with a name like "USS The Fist" or "USS Bathhouse" but there is always tomorrow.

Adam Wood
02-13-2012, 02:52 PM
Not at all unprecedented (http://www.history.navy.mil/faqs/faq63-1.htm).

Nuclear-powered fleet ballistic missile submarines, built to carry the Polaris strategic deterrent missile, began to go into commission in the early 1960s. These were rightly regarded as ships without precedent. Thus, a name source of their own was deemed appropriate. Our first ballistic missile submarine was named George Washington, and the rest of the "41 for freedom" bore the names of "famous Americans and others who contributed to the growth of democracy." Some of these submarines were later reclassified as conventional attack submarines under the Strategic Arms Limitation Treaty (SALT) agreements. Though they lost their missile capability, they continued to bear such names as Patrick Henry and Ethan Allen. The newest Trident missile submarines of the Ohio class bear state names, one of the name sources originally considered for the first Polaris submarines. One of the class, Henry M. Jackson, honors a legislator who had a strong share in shaping American defense programs.

Into the mid-1970s attack submarines continued to be named for sea creatures, though a few were named for such legislators as Richard B. Russell and L. Mendel Rivers. Ships of the more recent Los Angeles class bear the names of American cities. One exception, Hyman G. Rickover, honors the man who has been called "the father of the nuclear Navy." The new Seawolf class has departed from this scheme, with Seawolf representing a "denizen of the deep" and Connecticut named for the state; the third ship of the class has not yet been named.

After World War II aircraft carriers were given a mix of such traditional carrier names as Ranger, Saratoga, and Coral Sea and names of individuals. The first of these, as we have seen, was Franklin D. Roosevelt, later followed by Forrestal and John F. Kennedy. All the ships of the current Nimitz class bear the names of such national figures as Theodore Roosevelt, George Washington, and Ronald Reagan.

The names of American battles have been perpetuated by the newest class of guided missile cruisers. The first of these was Ticonderoga; twenty later ships of this class honor actions fought from the Revolution to World War II, Korea, and Vietnam. One ship is named Thomas S. Gates for a statesman who served as Secretary of the Navy and Secretary of Defense.

Arleigh Burke-class guided missile destroyers continue the tradition of honoring naval leaders and heroes. There are the typical exceptions; Roosevelt (DDG 80) was named in honor of Franklin and Eleanor Roosevelt, while Winston Churchill honors the great war leader of World War II. Some destroyers bear names of recent heroes, while others carry on the traditions of distinguished former ships of the same name.

BadCat
02-13-2012, 03:04 PM
I am sorry they didnt come up with a name like "USS The Fist" or "USS Bathhouse" but there is always tomorrow.

You're going to make Nova go find all his old Village People records so he can listen to "In The Navy", and hope like hell the song is true.

Arroyo_Doble
02-13-2012, 03:25 PM
... voicing outrage over this seems pretty childish to me.

Welcome to America. I hope you enjoyed your visit abroad.

Rockntractor
02-13-2012, 03:42 PM
Originally Posted by djones520 View Post
... voicing outrage over this seems pretty childish to me.

Welcome to America. I hope you enjoyed your visit abroad.

An angel sings whenever an emo finds a friend.
http://i686.photobucket.com/albums/vv230/upyourstruly/angel.jpg

noonwitch
02-13-2012, 04:07 PM
There are many things in this world to be outraged over. This is not one of them.

Bailey
02-13-2012, 04:23 PM
There are many things in this world to be outraged over. This is not one of them.

Well no thanks I will be outraged.

I hate political pandering, specially when the military is concerned.

Tipsycatlover
02-13-2012, 04:45 PM
This is part of the more sensitive and caring Navy. It's not an outrage, just a disgust.

Rockntractor
02-13-2012, 04:50 PM
This is part of the more sensitive and caring Navy. It's not an outrage, just a disgust.

Neither with me, I just shake my head and think more PC, where will it end.

Novaheart
02-14-2012, 11:43 AM
Well no thanks I will be outraged.

I hate political pandering, specially when the military is concerned.

Keep it up and all the ships will simply have numbers.

namvet
02-14-2012, 11:48 AM
Keep it up and all the ships will simply have numbers.

they alll do. that's how you tell them apart

Novaheart
02-14-2012, 11:51 AM
they alll do. that's how you tell them apart

Thank you for sharing.

fettpett
02-14-2012, 11:55 AM
Thank you for sharing.

including ships with the same name, such as the USS Enterprise (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_Enterprise)