PDA

View Full Version : Who is this Santorum guy?

Starbuck
02-11-2012, 10:41 AM
Who is Rick and what does he believe? I actually had to confess that I didn't know, so I looked up his statements regarding various areas that interest me. Here they are:

Department of Education:
SANTORUM: 20 years ago, the federal contribution to education was 3%. It's now at 11%, and our schools are doing worse. It's because the federal government's meddling. The bottom-line problem is that the education system doesn't serve the customer of the education system. And who's the customer? The parents, because it's the parents' responsibility to educate their children--from the moment they were born, they began the education of their children. At some point, the government has convinced parents that it's no longer their responsibility. They force them, in many respects, to turn their children over to the public education system and wrest control from them and block them out of participation of that. That has to change or education will not improve in this country.
http://www.issues2000.org/2012/Rick_Santorum_Education.htm

Department of Energy:
At one point in the Fairfield discussion, a voter asked if Santorum "would be game for shutting down the Department of Energy." It would have been easy enough for Santorum to go along and talk about how much government should be cut. Instead, Santorum explained how the Energy Department plays a critical role in the nation's nuclear capability, and those functions would have to continue, whether by an entity called the Department of Energy or not. "It's much more complicated than just getting rid of the Energy Department," Santorum tells the man.

"I don't want to go out and say, 'Eliminate the Department of Energy, eliminate the department of this," Santorum continues. "That's just populist chatter. What we need to do is focus in on the functions of the federal government that need to be eliminated and why."
http://campaign2012.washingtonexaminer.com/article/york-why-santorum-runs

Nuclear Iran:
GOP presidential candidate Rick Santorum, said in an interview on NBC's "Meet the Press" on Sunday that if the Iranians refuse to open up their nuclear facilities for inspection he would bomb them.
The former Pennsylvania senator who accused Obama of turning the U.S. into a "paper tiger," said: “I would be saying to the Iranians, you either open up those facilities, you begin to dismantle them and make them available to inspectors, or we will degrade those facilities through air strikes."

Read more: http://digitaljournal.com/article/317118#ixzz1m5GCq9Vu

Trade with China:
SANTORUM: You know, I don't want to go to a trade war. I want to beat China. I want to go war with China and make America the most attractive place in the world to do business, and we need to do that with the agenda that I've outlined. .....
(Santorum scores 100% by CATO on senior issues

The mission of the Cato Institute Center for Trade Policy Studies is to increase public understanding of the benefits of free trade and the costs of protectionism. )
http://www.issues2000.org/2012/Rick_Santorum_Free_Trade.htm

What do you think? Of course, these are his official statements, which may or may not reflect actions taken in the past, or, for that matter, actions which may be taken during any future Presidency.

Do you know anything about Santorum that really stinks?:confused:

mike128
02-11-2012, 11:11 AM
Rick Santorum is the candidate with the least "baggage". He is also a solid conservative, which is exactly what the Republican Party needs right now to beat Obama.

If Republicans nominate a "moderate" (liberal) who is nothing short of "Obama-lite", conservatives won't show up, and independents won't vote for someone who the conservative base isn't even excited about.

Obama won in 2008 because the liberal Democrat base was excited about their radical Marxist candidate, and independents who were undecided (and didn't know any better), saw the excitement. Our guy in 2008 was just another "moderate" who didn't excite anyone. So, Obama won.

Santorum is a solid conservative who will excite the base of the Republican Party. If Santorum is the GOP nominee, non-political independents will see the excitement on the Republican side, and hopefully swing our way.

"Moderate" Republican presidential candidates never win general elections. It didn't work in 1996 and it didn't work in 2008. I seriously doubt it would work this time around either.

Look at Santorum on all the issues. He's definitely not perfect, but he does provide that contrast needed to excite the base and defeat Obama.

Zathras
02-11-2012, 11:27 AM
If Republicans nominate a "moderate" (liberal) who is nothing short of "Obama-lite", conservatives won't show up, and independents won't vote for someone who the conservative base isn't even excited about.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v602/HeroesAtWork/deadhorse.jpg

Novaheart
02-11-2012, 01:54 PM
Rick Santorum is the candidate with the least "baggage".

Are you kidding? He hasn't had a real job in years. He lives on patronage.

Novaheart
02-11-2012, 01:58 PM
Rick Santorum traveled in 2002 to Rome to speak at a centenary celebration of the birth of Saint Josemaría Escrivá, founder of Opus Dei.[124][167] He and his wife were invested as Knight and Dame of Magistral Grace of the Knights of Malta in a ceremony at St. Patrick's Cathedral in New York on November 12, 2004.[168]

Novaheart
02-11-2012, 01:59 PM
Santorum earned $1.3 million in 2010 and the first half of 2011. The largest portion of his employment earnings — $332,000 — came from his work as a consultant for industry interest groups, including Consol Energy and American Continental Group. Santorum also earned $395,414 in corporate director's fees and stock options from Universal Health Services, and $217,385 in income from the Ethics and Public Policy Center think tank.[71][103][104] In 2010 he was paid $23,000 by The Philadelphia Inquirer for his work as a freelance columnist

Rockntractor
02-11-2012, 02:09 PM
A smart man, very successful with a strong religious foundation.
Thanks Nova!:)

Starbuck
02-11-2012, 02:23 PM
Santorum earned $1.3 million in 2010 and the first half of 2011. The largest portion of his employment earnings — $332,000 — came from his work as a consultant for industry interest groups, including Consol Energy and American Continental Group. Santorum also earned $395,414 in corporate director's fees and stock options from Universal Health Services, and $217,385 in income from the Ethics and Public Policy Center think tank.[71][103][104] In 2010 he was paid $23,000 by The Philadelphia Inquirer for his work as a freelance columnist
Going back to your first post, why th' heck would he want a 'real' job? No one with a real job has enough time to run for President. ("Scuze me Boss, is it OK if I take off for the next year? I gotta run for President)

But we always hear the stuff about real jobs and not being connected with real problems in the real world, and on and on. Maybe there is something to it all, but I really don't think so. 'Cept maybe with Obama.:)

Novaheart
02-11-2012, 03:09 PM
A smart man, very successful with a strong religious foundation.
Thanks Nova!:)

You got your panties in a knot when Obama nodded to an Arab king, but you have no problem with a President who would kneel and kiss the ring of a German prince?

Odysseus
02-11-2012, 03:37 PM
Rick Santorum traveled in 2002 to Rome to speak at a centenary celebration of the birth of Saint Josemaría Escrivá, founder of Opus Dei.[124][167] He and his wife were invested as Knight and Dame of Magistral Grace of the Knights of Malta in a ceremony at St. Patrick's Cathedral in New York on November 12, 2004.[168]
Okay. So he's Catholic. Got it. Anything else?

Well, no community organizing on his resume, but again, you make this sound evil. I, for one, would have preferred it if he'd had some combat experience and had actually run a large organization, but he's had more experience than Obama had when he took office, and if you factor in all of Obama's downtime (golf, vacations, etc.), he still does. Among the remaining four, he's my second choice behind Newt, Romney is third and Ron Paul is a distant fourth.

Rockntractor
02-11-2012, 03:46 PM
You got your panties in a knot when Obama nodded to an Arab king, but you have no problem with a President who would kneel and kiss the ring of a German prince?

So says a worshiper of the big bang, or is it black hole...........or was it brown hole?:confused:

djones520
02-11-2012, 03:48 PM

Did he do it as the President though?

Zathras
02-11-2012, 04:07 PM

At least he's had a real job unlike the empty suited buffoon currently occupying the White House.

Janice
02-11-2012, 04:11 PM
At least he's had a real job unlike the empty suited buffoon currently occupying the White House.

... empty suited, affirmative action Marxist.

Chuck58
02-11-2012, 04:15 PM

obama's never had a real job EVER.

I can't imagine what he'll do once he's out of office. His adult life has been campaigning for a higher office. Where do you go after being president?

His entire reason for living is over. I'd say he'd end up swallowing a gun, except he's anti gun.

txradioguy
02-11-2012, 04:58 PM

Ok now Nova...it's time for your meds and a diaper change.

And we'll lead you back to the Stupid Liberal Tricks section where you belong.

:rolleyes:

txradioguy
02-11-2012, 05:00 PM

You post this kind of drivel and have the fucking gall to question whether the rest of us are capable of intelligent conversaition?

You're making hai look like a damn Rhodes Scholar right now.

Starbuck
02-11-2012, 07:31 PM
Whut the heck was Novaheart thinking when he posted that bit about Santorum not having a 'real' job? And who in the world has made a successful bid for the Presidency while working a real job? Do senators count? How about governors? Mayors? CEO's? Generals?

NOVA!, come back and defend your post!:confused:

DumbAss Tanker
02-11-2012, 08:31 PM
Originally Posted by Novaheart

As best I recall, and even taking all the rest of your spin at face value just for the sake of argument, Santorum wasn't a head of state, Obama was.

It matters.

Novaheart
02-12-2012, 12:38 AM
As best I recall, and even taking all the rest of your spin at face value just for the sake of argument, Santorum wasn't a head of state, Obama was.

It matters.

Note the grammar: I wrote "would kneel" rather than "has knelt".

Now ask yourself this: Is the devout Rick Santorum going to oppose mass immigration from the south, and is he going to deport the 12 million or more illegal aliens already here when to give amnesty means that there will be some 50 million or more devout Catholics in the US in our lifetime from immigration? You already have Gingrich going soft on immigration, and the Mormons import Pacific Islanders by the shipload.

Starbuck
02-12-2012, 11:08 AM
.......Now ask yourself this: Is the devout Rick Santorum going to oppose mass immigration from the south, and is he going to deport the 12 million or more illegal aliens already here..............

I don't know. Can you find a place where Santorum has addressed this issue? I haven't done much of a search, but I'd like to know what he has said.

BTW: Even though I am somewhat interested in this issue, I can't say that the answer makes a whole heck of a lot of difference to me, personally.

Novaheart
02-12-2012, 11:29 AM
I don't know. Can you find a place where Santorum has addressed this issue? I haven't done much of a search, but I'd like to know what he has said.

BTW: Even though I am somewhat interested in this issue, I can't say that the answer makes a whole heck of a lot of difference to me, personally.

Here's an article which says he opposes the Catholic Bishops (of US and Mexico, ie in concert and not in divided national interests) position on "immigration reform".

http://www.christianpost.com/news/rick-santorum-catholic-bishops-are-wrong-to-call-for-immigration-reform-64785/

In each area, the Catholic bishops of Mexico and the United States have issued statements. When it comes to global anti-poverty efforts, the bishops stated: “Trade, international economic aid, debt relief, and other types of economic policies should be pursued that result in people not having to migrate in desperation in order to survive.”

Note how much the Catholic Bishops sound like members of Democratic Underground. "Debt relief" and "family unification" .... all at the expense of the American people and the sovereignty of our country.

I get so tired of traitors.

Novaheart
02-12-2012, 11:29 AM
Ok now Nova...it's time for your meds and a diaper change.

And we'll lead you back to the Stupid Liberal Tricks section where you belong.

:rolleyes:

Thanks, Cornwallis.

Rockntractor
02-12-2012, 11:36 AM
Okay Nova, we get it, you hate God. you are a stuck record at this point.

Starbuck
02-12-2012, 11:42 AM
Here's an article which says he opposes the Catholic Bishops (of US and Mexico, ie in concert and not in divided national interests) position on "immigration reform".............
Nice link.

I don't really care what the Catholic Bishops say. I am, however, interested in Santorum's position, since it is apparent that he will have a shot at being nominated. Here's what he said.

From the link:
Santorum stated: “If we develop the program like the Catholic bishops suggested, we could be creating a huge magnet for people to come in and break the law some more. We’d be inviting people to cross this border, come into this country and with the expectation that they will be able to stay here permanently.”

Sounds pretty clear to me. He will cut across the grain of Catholic policy if he believes greater American interests require him to do so. President first, then Catholic.

Janice
02-12-2012, 11:46 AM
Sounds pretty clear to me. He will cut across the grain of Catholic policy if he believes greater American interests require him to do so. President first, then Catholic.

Yup. Thats how JFK was too.

Odysseus
02-12-2012, 11:59 AM

God, daddy, anyone who won't let him have fun.

Novaheart
02-12-2012, 12:00 PM

I don't hate gods. I do wish they would be kept in their temples, and I also think it would be nice if European people would get back to native European religions rather than these exotic Asian religions of Judaism, Christianity, and Islam.

Novaheart
02-12-2012, 12:02 PM
God, daddy, anyone who won't let him have fun.

Asian desert gods belong in Asian deserts.

fettpett
02-12-2012, 12:11 PM

:rolleyes::rolleyes:

yep, lets go back to ritualistic, and barbaric pagan religions

Novaheart
02-12-2012, 12:16 PM
:rolleyes::rolleyes:

yep, lets go back to ritualistic, and barbaric pagan religions

ayfkm?

fettpett
02-12-2012, 12:57 PM
ayfkm?

you ever looked at how most pagan religions treated people? Many had human sacrifice of some kind, even Greek and Roman, were very much humanistic, included gods that were no better than people.

Judeo-Christian religion is not, it's about Love, and how one sacrificed everything for us, because of that love.

Yes through history men have taken and twisted what God put in place to meet their own needs and power hungry desires. That doesn't change the basic message.

Rockntractor
02-12-2012, 01:40 PM

Yes Nova we understand, if it weren't for desert gods the gay race would have expanded into the hundreds of millions............wait a minute, you can't reproduce, you are a dead end, you are a behavioral disorder not a race..............nevermind.:confused:

Novaheart
02-12-2012, 02:01 PM
you ever looked at how most pagan religions treated people? Many had human sacrifice of some kind, even Greek and Roman, were very much humanistic, included gods that were no better than people.

This statement is all over the place, so a tad difficult to respond to. The first response would be that it's irrelevant what the ancient practices were, the religions are nonetheless native to European people while JCI (Judaism/Christianity/Islam) is not.

• You can't compare an ancient practice of one religion to the contemporary practice of another. The odd human sacrifice in Roman or Greek religious practice could easily be matched by the martyrs and victims of Christianity. Joan of Arc was burned at the stake. Now we could debate whether that was actually religion or politics, but to debate whether it was a human sacrifice or a murder is a distinction without a difference.

• There is a decided bias to history, which is understandable as the victor generally gets to write it. One such bias and cultural myth is that Christianity brought civilization. It's absurd on its face, but it persists nonetheless. When the Romans arrived in England, the Romans are credited with bringing civilization to Great Britain. Great Britain already had civilization and while the Romans brought some new technology, the British weren't exactly wild Indians. Somehow, the Roman occupation of Britain, while certainly beneficial in the long run, is conflated with the Christianization of Britain- so you have this "Christianity brings civilization" thing. Much later, we have St Margaret the Exile and her protector Levin (Livingston) arriving in Scotland, and history credits her with bringing Christianity and good manners to Malcolm and Scotland in the 10th century. Bullshit. Christianity was already there, it was one of many belief systems and the Scottish belief system did not include human sacrifice. Did she bring good manners? Perhaps an improvement, but she can hardly be credited with bringing civilization to Scotland when Scottish archeological sites have secure houses with toilets and hearths that predate the pyramids of Egypt.

The crossover between politics and religion is not new and is apparently unavoidable. Many people have died victim to Christianity or defending it. Many have been executed in the name of God, to appease God, so to delineate them from those tossed into a flaming urn or volcano is to convince yourself of the superiority of this exotic Asian religion. And while I don't necessarily agree with them, the bleeding hearts of the world are quick to give you many examples of masses of people dying or being killed in the spread of Christianity in the 15th, 16th, and 17th centuries. Now why they don't think that Tariq brought some nasty diseases and stuff (not to mention weapons) to Spain is surely bias as well.

Rockntractor
02-12-2012, 02:09 PM
Now why they don't think that Tariq brought some nasty diseases and stuff (not to mention weapons) to Spain is surely bias as well.

By the way, thanks much for the aids epidemic.

This latest analysis says the number of people living with HIV has reached a record 34 million.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-15816813

Novaheart
02-12-2012, 02:22 PM
By the way, thanks much for the aids epidemic.

You want fries with that?

Rockntractor
02-12-2012, 02:25 PM
You want fries with that?

Nah I'm full I just had breakfast.:)

Chuck58
02-12-2012, 05:28 PM
Nice link.

I don't really care what the Catholic Bishops say. I am, however, interested in Santorum's position, since it is apparent that he will have a shot at being nominated. Here's what he said.

From the link:
Santorum stated: “If we develop the program like the Catholic bishops suggested, we could be creating a huge magnet for people to come in and break the law some more. We’d be inviting people to cross this border, come into this country and with the expectation that they will be able to stay here permanently.”

http://www.thepoliticalguide.com/Profiles/Senate/Pennsylvania/Rick_Santorum/Views/Immigration/

Senator Santorum has been a consistent supporter of US immigration laws. He opposes benefits for illegal aliens, comprehensive immigration reform, and supports a border fence and making English the national language. However, he has hinted at providing some method of "dealing with" those already in the US.

In a losing 2006 re-election campaign, Senator Santorum promoted his support of border security and touted his opponent's views as amnesty. Senator Santorum opposed the 2006 attempt to achieve comprehensive immigration reform and cited that position often in the election cycle. Senator Santorum also cited his opposition to plans to grant social security and other benefits to illegal aliens who have lived in the US throughout the election.

In the 2012 Presidential election, Senator Santorum has expressed support for a border fence, and English as the national language. He was also critical of discussion hinting at granting amnesty to illegal aliens in exchange for border security in the future. However, when directly asked what he would do with the illegal aliens already in the US, Senator Santorum stated that we would have to "deal with" those people separately.

Seems to me he's been pretty consistent through the years. I don't know what the "deal with" the ones already here means. Overall, I like his position, especially since I'm living in a border state and putting up with the illegal situation almost daily. There's a lot more at the link above.

txradioguy
02-13-2012, 10:40 AM

And you belong somewhere other than here DUmbass.

txradioguy
02-13-2012, 10:44 AM
Yes Nova we understand, if it weren't for desert gods the gay race would have expanded into the hundreds of millions............wait a minute, you can't reproduce, you are a dead end, you are a behavioral disorder not a race..............nevermind.:confused:

You ever get the sense that Novatwit is trying to be all the Liberal idiots we allow to post here all rolled up into one disgusting douche bag?

I mean in his recent posts he's Wilbur/TNO/WeeWee all rolled into one giant gay carcass.