PDA

View Full Version : Santorum's turn

fettpett
02-14-2012, 09:51 AM
http://www.nationalreview.com/articles/290895/santorum-s-turn-editors

At the moment Rick Santorum appears to be overtaking Newt Gingrich as the principal challenger to Mitt Romney. Santorum has won more contests than Gingrich (who has won only one), has more delegates, and leads him in the polls. In at least one poll, he also leads Romney. It isn’t yet a Romney–Santorum contest, but it could be headed that way.We hope so. Gingrich’s verbal and intellectual talents should make him a resource for any future Republican president. But it would be a grave mistake for the party to make someone with such poor judgment and persistent unpopularity its presidential nominee. It is not clear whether Gingrich remains in the race because he still believes he could become president next year or because he wants to avenge his wounded pride: an ambiguity that suggests the problem with him as a leader. When he led Santorum in the polls, he urged the Pennsylvanian to leave the race. On his own arguments the proper course for him now is to endorse Santorum and exit.

Santorum has been conducting himself rather impressively in his moments of triumph and avoiding characteristic temptations. He is doing his best to keep the press from dismissing him as merely a “social-issues candidate.” His recent remark that losing his Senate seat in 2006 taught him the importance of humility suggests an appealing self-awareness. And he has rightly identified the declining stability of middle-class families as a threat to the American experiment, even if his proposed solutions are poorly designed. But sensible policies, important as they are, are not the immediate challenge for his candidacy. Proving he can run a national campaign is.

AmPat
02-14-2012, 10:32 AM
O Blah Blah worshipers and his attack dogs in the media will now go to work on Santorum. We'll know more about Santorum's history (real and made up), within two weeks, than we know about O Blah Blah after three years.

fettpett
02-14-2012, 10:34 AM
O Blah Blah worshipers and his attack dogs in the media will now go to work on Santorum. We'll know more about Santorum's history (real and made up), within two weeks, than we know about O Blah Blah after three years.

they already started, there was an article about Santorum's wife and how she was living with an abortion doctor when she meet Rick. I'll see if I can find it

fettpett
02-14-2012, 10:37 AM
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2087812/Rick-Santorums-wife-Karen-love-affair-abortion-doctor.html

here it is, I'm sure Douchebag128 will love this story

Arroyo_Doble
02-14-2012, 10:42 AM

they already started, there was an article about Santorum's wife and how she was living with an abortion doctor when she meet Rick. I'll see if I can find it

I am unsure why you think such things come from Obama supporters and the mythical liberal media when Romney supporters have shown the willingness to go negative on his Republican opponents. Occam's Razor and all that ....

Novaheart
02-14-2012, 10:47 AM
I am unsure why you think such things come from Obama supporters and the mythical liberal media when Romney supporters have shown the willingness to go negative on his Republican opponents. Occam's Razor and all that ....

I didn't know that you speak Freepese.

fettpett
02-14-2012, 10:48 AM

could be from Romney, either way it's pathetic

djones520
02-14-2012, 11:31 AM
Polls are indicating that Santorum will take Michigan, which would be a huge blow to Romney, with it being his home state and all.

fettpett
02-14-2012, 11:35 AM
Polls are indicating that Santorum will take Michigan, which would be a huge blow to Romney, with it being his home state and all.

I can't say I would be sad...might be who I vote for too in a couple weeks

Arroyo_Doble
02-14-2012, 11:38 AM

I thought it was rude to allow one of his childhood homes to be torn down.

noonwitch
02-14-2012, 12:50 PM

It all depends on whether metro Detroit republicans get out and vote or not. That's where the Romney votes will come from. West Michigan republicans will vote for Santorum, because their big issues are the social conservative issues like abortion and gay marriage.

I'm sure Romney will unleash all kinds of attacks on Santorum, especially over his votes to raise minimum wage.

If Santorum ends up the nominee, I would expect to see ads attacking him for comparing homosexual relationships between consenting adults to bestiality. I just don't see fellow republicans going there, but the dems will.

Tipsycatlover
02-14-2012, 01:54 PM
Libs will use attack ads for speaking the truth. It's like kryptonite to them.

Rockntractor
02-14-2012, 01:56 PM
I thought

Same story, this is where you always go wrong.

AmPat
02-14-2012, 01:57 PM

This is such a stupid statement it doesn't deserve an answer:
"mythical liberal media" Excuse me while I :rolleyes:

Your other failed point was equally stupid in that you posit that an attack on Santorum by Romney means that no such attacks could possibly come from a real yet completely disgraced, liberal biased media and O Blah Blah supporters. :rolleyes:http://i42.tinypic.com/vwziqb.jpg

Arroyo_Doble
02-14-2012, 03:18 PM
Same story, this is where you always go wrong.

Well, I would be suspicious of those who don't wish you to think. YMMV.

djones520
02-14-2012, 03:18 PM
It all depends on whether metro Detroit republicans get out and vote or not. That's where the Romney votes will come from. West Michigan republicans will vote for Santorum, because their big issues are the social conservative issues like abortion and gay marriage.

I'm sure Romney will unleash all kinds of attacks on Santorum, especially over his votes to raise minimum wage.

If Santorum ends up the nominee, I would expect to see ads attacking him for comparing homosexual relationships between consenting adults to bestiality. I just don't see fellow republicans going there, but the dems will.

I'm a west michigan conservative. Those are last on my plate. Just sayin. ;)

noonwitch
02-14-2012, 04:19 PM
I'm a west michigan conservative. Those are last on my plate. Just sayin. ;)

Are you part of the "Dutch Mafia"? They are the socially conservative voters, mostly in Kent and Ottawa counties, but some spillover into Allegan and Muskegon counties. Although, Obama carried Kent County in 2008 by a fraction of a percentage point-I wouldn't expect that to happen in 2012.

djones520
02-14-2012, 04:50 PM
Are you part of the "Dutch Mafia"? They are the socially conservative voters, mostly in Kent and Ottawa counties, but some spillover into Allegan and Muskegon counties. Although, Obama carried Kent County in 2008 by a fraction of a percentage point-I wouldn't expect that to happen in 2012.

My haunts are more the Benzie, Manistee, Grand Traverse Counties. Pretty conservative, but social conservatism would definitely be the weakest part I'd say.

Hawkgirl
02-14-2012, 06:37 PM
:http://i42.tinypic.com/vwziqb.jpg

:rotfl::rotfl:

Madisonian
02-14-2012, 07:46 PM
Interesting read from Red State
What a big government conservative looks like/ (http://www.redstate.com/erick/2012/01/09/what-a-big-government-conservative-looks-like-2/)

I’m rather tired of all the people who don’t like Romney trying to claim Rick Santorum is not a big government conservative, or not a pro-life statist. I would support him before I would support Romney too, but I have no intention of giving up ideological and intellectual consistency in the name of beating Mitt Romney.

Rick Santorum is a pro-life statist. He is. You will have to deal with it. He is a big government conservative. Santorum is right on social issues, but has never let his love of social issues stand in the way of the creeping expansion of the welfare state. In fact, he has been complicit in the expansion of the welfare state.

snip...

This is not the record of a man committed to scaling back the welfare state or the nanny state. Had he been up for re-election in 2010 instead of 2006, this is the record of a man who the tea party movement would have primaried. The only real justification for supporting him now is he is not Mitt Romney, but I still believe we can do better.