PDA

View Full Version : Have you registered for a party against your wishes?

djones520
02-14-2012, 09:45 PM
Registering for the Michigan Primary, and apparently their doing a closed primary this year, so I have to register as a Republican. I've always registered as an independant before because while I consider myself conservative, I do not consider myself a Republican.

I wonder if I'm gonna end up getting calls asking me for money now.

fettpett
02-14-2012, 09:51 PM
Registering for the Michigan Primary, and apparently their doing a closed primary this year, so I have to register as a Republican. I've always registered as an independant before because while I consider myself conservative, I do not consider myself a Republican.

really? when did they do that? we've got a bunch of stuff on the ballot around here for the primary day

djones520
02-14-2012, 09:53 PM
really? when did they do that? we've got a bunch of stuff on the ballot around here for the primary day

The registration form asked me what political party I was in, so I did a quick search to see if they were open or closed. Apparently back in August the GOP decided to make it a closed election. Doesn't suprise me given what happened in the Governer primary in 2010.

fettpett
02-14-2012, 09:58 PM
The registration form asked me what political party I was in, so I did a quick search to see if they were open or closed. Apparently back in August the GOP decided to make it a closed election. Doesn't suprise me given what happened in the Governer primary in 2010.

bah, Hoekstra is a douche, wouldn't have voted for him anyway, hell I wont vote for him for senate. I guess i'll have to go register /ugh

Lanie
02-14-2012, 10:57 PM
I changed my affiliation a couple of years ago to independent so I could vote in the Republican primaries. I had no choice. There was a convicted felon running for sheriff. Not making this up. Anyway, I've kept it that way. More than likely, I'll be voting as R again this year because Obama has no running mate and my local government is red beyond red. The Democrats don't get noticed around here, so it's best just to vote for the Republican I want. It's about like why some people vote Democrat or Republican instead of a third party. They just don't think that a third party is a viable option. That's what I usually think about voting Democrat on a local level. We know they won't win. In my mind, May is the local election.

BadCat
02-15-2012, 10:30 AM

No, but you're gonna get called for jury duty.

linda22003
02-15-2012, 10:46 AM
No, thank heaven. We don't register by party in Virginia, and I hope we never do.

Arroyo_Doble
02-15-2012, 10:50 AM
That really isn't against your wishes, is it?

fettpett
02-15-2012, 10:51 AM
No, but you're gonna get called for jury duty.

I've lived in MI for almost 10 years...never been summoned :/

noonwitch
02-15-2012, 11:10 AM
In Michigan, you have to declare a party preference when you register to vote. Once you've done so, you can still vote in the other party's primary, as long as you don't vote in both parties' primaries. That's why the dems have caucus's in years like 2000, where Gore was pretty much a shoo-in, and it freed dem voters to go mess with the GOP primary results, which is why McCain won the 2000 Michigan primary.

At least that's how it used to be.

fettpett
02-15-2012, 11:19 AM
In Michigan, you have to declare a party preference when you register to vote. Once you've done so, you can still vote in the other party's primary, as long as you don't vote in both parties' primaries. That's why the dems have caucus's in years like 2000, where Gore was pretty much a shoo-in, and it freed dem voters to go mess with the GOP primary results, which is why McCain won the 2000 Michigan primary.

At least that's how it used to be.

not the last time I registered...though I need a new license which I'll be getting a new registration, but thats not till the 27th

BadCat
02-15-2012, 11:27 AM
I only register as a "Republican" because they don't have a box that says "Really fuckin' CONSERVATIVE".