PDA

View Full Version : If gas goes to 5.00 per gallon

SarasotaRepub
02-15-2012, 10:00 AM
This is really retarded... (http://www.democraticunderground.com/1002312885) :D

Wed Feb 15, 2012, 08:17 AM
libtodeath (91 posts)

If gas goes to 5.00 per gallon

Will you give up Internet to save money?
I posted this in another thread but am curious.
I just cant help but wonder if it is part of a plan to break up the national and global wide connection of occupy.

:rotfl:

BadCat
02-15-2012, 10:30 AM
If gas goes to $5/gallon...obumble doesn't win a single state.

linda22003
02-15-2012, 10:36 AM

You HAVE to have made that one up. You do a whole fake "DU" background to make them look legit, but you HAVE to be making some of them up. :p

AmPat
02-15-2012, 10:42 AM
If gas goes to 5.00 per gallon

Will you give up Internet to save money?
No, I opted for an electrically fueled computer. The old gas fired one was much too smelly and messy for home use.:rolleyes:

michaelsean
02-15-2012, 11:11 AM
No, I opted for an electrically fueled computer. The old gas fired one was much too smelly and messy for home use.:rolleyes:

Did you have a newer one? They are much more efficient and clean burning.

michaelsean
02-15-2012, 11:15 AM

It gets worse. I thought the DUmmie meant that high prices would make it harder for people to get to Occupy events, but it actually goes back to the original premise that high gas prices could force people off the internet. You talk about a complex plan.

libtodeath (92 posts) Profile Journal Send DU Mail Ignore

13. I didnt word it right

not to stop it but would occupy have taken off across the country the way it did without the internet and places like DU spreading the word and events.
That was my thought although maybe a bad one.

michaelsean
02-15-2012, 11:18 AM
Response to marmar (Reply #14)
Wed Feb 15, 2012, 09:45 AM
rurallib (27,453 posts) Profile Journal Send DU Mail Ignore

21. The oil companies ability to manipulate gas prices with impunity

is the secret weapon of the Repubs.
Jack up the price, cripple the economy and make Obama look weak when there is little he can do.

So how do you explain the high gas prices under Bush? And if oil companies can jack up the price when a Dem is in office, then it really shouldn't matter to them who the President is.

Odysseus
02-15-2012, 11:19 AM

Should've gone with squirrel power. :D

Novaheart
02-15-2012, 11:24 AM

I am a person who freaks out when gasoline crosses price thresholds. Not major freak out, just pissed off and in a bad mood for a day or so. I know it's silly to let these people do that to me, but it's how I react. When reason sets in, I realize that I use so little gasoline (about 34 gallons a month) that a hike of a dollar or two isn't going to wreck the budget. But even so, the way the speculation market is portrayed, like there are some fidgety Henny Pennys in Atlanta pretending to be in London reacting like someone with shell shock being tortured by a practical joker just doesn't inspire confidence in the system.

Novaheart
02-15-2012, 11:27 AM
So how do you explain the high gas prices under Bush? And if oil companies can jack up the price when a Dem is in office, then it really shouldn't matter to them who the President is.

The price of gasoline today is the same (about $3.57 for Shell regular) as it was in October of 2007. I remember this because that is when I bought my new pick-up and the salesman at Clearwater Toyota complained that it cost him $56 to fill up the gas tank at Walmart.

Arroyo_Doble
02-15-2012, 11:34 AM
I am a person who freaks out when gasoline crosses price thresholds. Not major freak out, just pissed off and in a bad mood for a day or so. I know it's silly to let these people do that to me, but it's how I react. When reason sets in, I realize that I use so little gasoline (about 34 gallons a month) that a hike of a dollar or two isn't going to wreck the budget. But even so, the way the speculation market is portrayed, like there are some fidgety Henny Pennys in Atlanta pretending to be in London reacting like someone with shell shock being tortured by a practical joker just doesn't inspire confidence in the system.

A lot of those who could went through the process of trimming their use of gas as a matter of lifestyle a couple of years ago. While it can be a grumbler, I don't think the impact is as big on an individual level as it could be. When it jumps to $4 from $2 quickly, it hurts because we are living in $2 land. Now, we don't.

Novaheart
02-15-2012, 11:53 AM
A lot of those who could went through the process of trimming their use of gas as a matter of lifestyle a couple of years ago. While it can be a grumbler, I don't think the impact is as big on an individual level as it could be. When it jumps to $4 from $2 quickly, it hurts because we are living in $2 land. Now, we don't.

The problem from a "little guy" standpoint is that I have trimmed almost everything almost as much as it can possibly be trimmed. I have obligations and responsibilities which require that I drive. Back in Bush II when the price of gasoline started climbing again, I got rid of my big truck and got a little truck, I got a scooter as well. I now use very little heat in my house and conserve on AC as well.

Like a lot of people I have already cut back, trimmed, and changed my usage in reaction to the rising prices of the last decade. So what do these people do? They raise the prices. It's most obvious with the power company. This entire state went on an austerity move a couple of years ago when the power companies got a rate increase. And now they are back for another increase, because we're using less power and because they will never be satisfied until they get our last dime.

jendf
02-15-2012, 12:08 PM
I don't really pay too much attention to the prices these days. I have my favorite QT and I get my gas on Monday like I always do. I don't shop around corner to corner looking for the cheapest gas. Like AD said, I budget for a $3 gallon of gas, give or take and it's fine. I can still afford the internet even after I fill up. :D

One thing I have noticed though--and maybe this goes on all the time and I'm just now catching up--is that the price goes up about a dime in the span of about 8 hours. The last two weeks this has happened. I get my gas in the morning for one price and when I drive home I see that it's gone up 10 cents. Is that new or am I just slow? Wait...don't answer that. :p

Arroyo_Doble
02-15-2012, 12:11 PM
The problem from a "little guy" standpoint is that I have trimmed almost everything almost as much as it can possibly be trimmed. I have obligations and responsibilities which require that I drive. Back in Bush II when the price of gasoline started climbing again, I got rid of my big truck and got a little truck, I got a scooter as well. I now use very little heat in my house and conserve on AC as well.

Like a lot of people I have already cut back, trimmed, and changed my usage in reaction to the rising prices of the last decade. So what do these people do? They raise the prices. It's most obvious with the power company. This entire state went on an austerity move a couple of years ago when the power companies got a rate increase. And now they are back for another increase, because we're using less power and because they will never be satisfied until they get our last dime.

I was really only talking about the gasoline prices. I understand there are downstream issues involved.

Right now, I may fill up once a month (usually less) and once every two months for the wife's car. A 20% increase will not really do more than make me grumble. I have made the changes in lifestyle to accommodate high gasoline prices at the tank.

Food, clothing, fuel, distribution costs in general, are more nebulous and harder to pin down.

Arroyo_Doble
02-15-2012, 12:13 PM
I don't really pay too much attention to the prices these days. I have my favorite QT and I get my gas on Monday like I always do. I don't shop around corner to corner looking for the cheapest gas. Like AD said, I budget for a $3 gallon of gas, give or take and it's fine. I can still afford the internet even after I fill up. :D

One thing I have noticed though--and maybe this goes on all the time and I'm just now catching up--is that the price goes up about a dime in the span of about 8 hours. The last two weeks this has happened. I get my gas in the morning for one price and when I drive home I see that it's gone up 10 cents. Is that new or am I just slow? Wait...don't answer that. :p

We have the opposite issue around here (I also have the favorite QT) recently. You drive home and see the price in the evening and the next morning it is higher.

michaelsean
02-15-2012, 12:21 PM
The price of gasoline today is the same (about $3.57 for Shell regular) as it was in October of 2007. I remember this because that is when I bought my new pick-up and the salesman at Clearwater Toyota complained that it cost him $56 to fill up the gas tank at Walmart.

Right so if this is a way to make Obama look weak, then what was the reason when Bush was in office? And if they can jack up the prices when a Dem is in office, then why would they really care who is in office? Same price either way.

AmPat
02-15-2012, 01:52 PM
Right so if this is a way to make Obama look weak, then what was the reason when Bush was in office? And if they can jack up the prices when a Dem is in office, then why would they really care who is in office? Same price either way.
It's a nice little story but I don't buy it. Either the salesman lied about the cost or he was the DUmbest salesman on earth in 2007. Gas has gone up under Pharaoh, there is no getting around that fact even for a liberal.

NJCardFan
02-15-2012, 01:54 PM
Should've gone with squirrel power. :D
I use guinea pigs:
http://puppybunnyguineapretty.files.wordpress.com/2011/10/geico-guinea-pigs.jpg

DumbAss Tanker
02-15-2012, 01:55 PM

How long do the batteries last before you need to replace them?

:D

NJCardFan
02-15-2012, 01:57 PM
Funny how Nova mentions prices under Bush in 2007 but completely blows off the fact that gas was about $1.80 when Obama took office so gas prices went back down while Bush was still in office...but that makes no never mind to the left.

linda22003
02-15-2012, 02:05 PM
I'm going to get a tank of gas about every two weeks whether it's $2.00 a gallon or $10.00 a gallon.

Novaheart
02-15-2012, 02:06 PM
It's a nice little story but I don't buy it. Either the salesman lied about the cost or he was the DUmbest salesman on earth in 2007. Gas has gone up under Pharaoh, there is no getting around that fact even for a liberal.

The peak pump price for gasoline was July 2008 , President Bush II, at $4.12/gallon.

AmPat
02-15-2012, 02:16 PM
The peak pump price for gasoline was July 2008 , President Bush II, at $4.12/gallon.
Where was that, Man Francisco?

Novaheart
02-15-2012, 02:21 PM
Where was that, Man Francisco?

That was on 95 between Florida and DC. It was $4.08 when I took Little Darling north out of St Pete, and didn't go down until two weeks later when it dropped back to $3.8something near Luray Virginia on the return trip. I was actually paying $4.27 or more for high test on the road.

The $4.12 figure is a national average. My sister in Paso Robles was paying even more.

AmPat
02-15-2012, 02:27 PM
That was on 95 between Florida and DC. It was $4.08 when I took Little Darling north out of St Pete, and didn't go down until two weeks later when it dropped back to $3.8something near Luray Virginia on the return trip. I was actually paying $4.27 or more for high test on the road.

The $4.12 figure is a national average. My sister in Paso Robles was paying even more.I see. You bought the most expensive blend that was available and I was talking about what most everybody else uses. I still don't buy it. Gas has definitely gone up under Dear Leader. By-the-way, what monster engine do you have requiring "High Test" fuel. You do understand the reason for differing octane levels don't you?:confused:

fettpett
02-15-2012, 02:40 PM
gas prices can easily come down, the gasoline is there, it's being produced. BUT they can make more by shipping it overseas to sell the refined gas. It is our number 1 export right now and why the economy is showing even a small improvement.

The reason why it's not being sold here...because there is no demand for it, because there is so little in the way of other products needing to be transported around.

fettpett
02-15-2012, 02:43 PM

The $4.12 figure is a national average. My sister in Paso Robles was paying even more.

http://205.254.135.7/dnav/pet/hist/LeafHandler.ashx?n=PET&s=EMM_EPMR_PTE_NUS_DPG&f=A
http://205.254.135.7/dnav/pet/hist_chart/EMM_EPMR_PTE_NUS_DPGa.jpg
U.S. Regular All Formulations Retail Gasoline Prices (Dollars per Gallon)

Novaheart
02-15-2012, 02:44 PM
I see. You bought the most expensive blend that was available and I was talking about what most everybody else uses. I still don't buy it. Gas has definitely gone up under Dear Leader. By-the-way, what monster engine do you have requiring "High Test" fuel. You do understand the reason for differing octane levels don't you?:confused:

Sorry, I didn't mean to confuse you with extraneous information. No, the $4.08 per gallon was for regular. I was paying for high test because high test is a relative bargain when it costs less than 10% more than regular, which is often the case in price spikes.

The $4.12 was the national average for regular. I had paid $4.08 for regular in St Pete. On 95 it was the same or slightly more.

By-the-way, what monster engine do you have requiring "High Test" fuel.

The reason I was buying high test was because I was experimenting with fuel grade and economy. The road trip was good for experimentation because of the conformity of road surface, speed, very little "around town" driving etc...

I have a Toyota Tacoma with 2.7 ltr. four cylinder automatic. My GMC got 9.6 miles per gallon so I figured the Toyota would eventually pay for itself in savings.

fettpett
02-15-2012, 02:45 PM
Sorry, I didn't mean to confuse you with extraneous information. No, the $4.08 per gallon was for regular. I was paying for high test because high test is a relative bargain when it costs less than 10% more than regular, which is often the case in price spikes.

The $4.12 was the national average for regular. I had paid $4.08 for regular in St Pete. On 95 it was the same or slightly more.

The reason I was buying high test was because I was experimenting with fuel grade and economy. The road trip was good for experimentation because of the conformity of road surface, speed, very little "around town" driving etc...

I have a Toyota Tacoma with 2.7 ltr. four cylinder automatic. My GMC got 9.6 miles per gallon so I figured the Toyota would eventually pay for itself in savings.

look at the above that I just posted, 4.12 was no where near the high for national average

Novaheart
02-15-2012, 02:46 PM
http://205.254.135.7/dnav/pet/hist/LeafHandler.ashx?n=PET&s=EMM_EPMR_PTE_NUS_DPG&f=A
http://205.254.135.7/dnav/pet/hist_chart/EMM_EPMR_PTE_NUS_DPGa.jpg
U.S. Regular All Formulations Retail Gasoline Prices (Dollars per Gallon)

What's your point? That's an annual average. I made no claim about an annual average. My claim was that gasoline retail prices peaked in July 2008 at an average of $4.12 per gallon. I am correct.

Novaheart
02-15-2012, 02:47 PM
look at the above that I just posted, 4.12 was no where near the high for national average

Your chart is using the annual average for gasoline, not the peak price of gasoline.

Janice
02-15-2012, 02:51 PM
You can quote the highest gas prices, at some point, while Bush was in office. I suppose I could in turn quote the lowest:

Obama thinks $4 for gallon of gas is funny (http://www.businessweek.com/ap/financialnews/D9MEEHIO0.htm)
Gas was $1.61 a gallon when George W. Bush left office (http://www.escapetyranny.com/2011/04/09/gas-was-1-61-a-gallon-when-george-w-bush-left-office/)

The average price for a gallon of gas nationally was $1.61 a gallon when George W. Bush left office. The average price per gallon is now $3.73.

But in many states, the price for a gallon of gas has smashed through the $4 barrier.

I just paid $4.25 today for gas here in La Grange, Illinois. Itís now $4.57 per gallon in Chicago. In California, the price is approaching $5 a gallon.

Experts believe the average national price for a gallon of gas could hit $5 by Memorial Day.

Here Obama explains his transportation plan. It involves phasing out cars. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k4yFsaxw6L8)
Another pillar of the Obama energy production plan (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4L29yBMay5o)
Obama on Gas Prices - have to actually watch the video clip to get the full flavor (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1RV8aIXm4DY)

AmPat
02-15-2012, 02:53 PM
Your chart is using the annual average for gasoline, not the peak price of gasoline.
I suppose that helps the narrative. Much better to have a few days at the top under a GOPer than a higher average lasting years that are under a DIM. Makes sense now.:rolleyes:

Novaheart
02-15-2012, 02:54 PM
You can quote the highest gas prices, at some point, while Bush was in office. I suppose I could in turn quote the lowest:

Which doesn't alter the fact that Peanut sincerely believes that gasoline has never been higher than under Obama.

Novaheart
02-15-2012, 02:55 PM
I suppose that helps the narrative. Much better to have a few days at the top under a GOPer than a higher average lasting years that are under a DIM. Makes sense now.:rolleyes:

Or you could simply and graciously admit that you were in error.

fettpett
02-15-2012, 02:56 PM
What's your point? That's an annual average. I made no claim about an annual average. My claim was that gasoline retail prices peaked in July 2008 at an average of $4.12 per gallon. I am correct.

and you'll notice that it went down quit quickly, the average under Bush was around $2.28/gallon, under Obama it's much closer to 3/gallon. Even with the spike in July 2008 it was still cheaper under Bush over all than it has been under Obama

Novaheart
02-15-2012, 03:01 PM
and you'll notice that it went down quit quickly, the average under Bush was around $2.28/gallon, under Obama it's much closer to 3/gallon. Even with the spike in July 2008 it was still cheaper under Bush over all than it has been under Obama

However, back when gasoline spiked in 2008, the "progressives", the oil companies, and Chase Bank (the speculators) were trying to get the public to believe that $4 gasoline was here to stay, and the conservative talk radio folks were pumping fear with projections of $8 per gallon in the short term. So it seems everyone likes to fearmonger, each for his own reasons, when it comes to gasoline prices.

And like Cleopatra (and with as much loyalty as Cleopatra) Exxon's barge quietly slipped away with record profits.

AmPat
02-15-2012, 03:05 PM

You didn't confuse me skippy, I can handle more simultaneous tasks and information than you could ever dream of.

As for your experimentation, it is a complete waste of time and money and shows a complete lack of understanding of the fuel grades and the qualities and merits of them.

Your little poofter engine and ignition system doesn't need "High test" and if it is in decent shape would work more efficiently utilizing the lowest octane available. If it isn't experiencing pre-ignition/detonation/knocking, use the lower (and therefore cheaper) gas available.

Most late model vehicles are equipped with knock sensors that retard (sorry, touchy word for you), ignition timing when it senses pre-ignition. Even on hot FL highways, tey can usually offset the lower combustion numbers of lower octanes through computer controlled tiiming retard. If the engine is in good shape and you don't have a detonation problem, you are merely padding the profits of those EBIL gas corporations.

I'm not being too altruistic here, I want you to save some of those dollars so that you can pay for my Health Insurance every month. By the way, I haven't seen a check yet, what gives?

fettpett
02-15-2012, 03:09 PM
However, back when gasoline spiked in 2008, the "progressives", the oil companies, and Chase Bank (the speculators) were trying to get the public to believe that $4 gasoline was here to stay, and the conservative talk radio folks were pumping fear with projections of $8 per gallon in the short term. So it seems everyone likes to fearmonger, each for his own reasons, when it comes to gasoline prices.

And like Cleopatra (and with as much loyalty as Cleopatra) Exxon's barge quietly slipped away with record profits.

not any talk shows that I listened to. They were all saying DRILL!! Drill more, build more refineries. Or it could go that high. Guess what? we're on that track. This Administration is so anti-domestic oil production in any form and so on the hook for "green" energy it's not even funny.

Arroyo_Doble
02-15-2012, 03:50 PM
not any talk shows that I listened to. They were all saying DRILL!! Drill more, build more refineries. Or it could go that high. Guess what? we're on that track. This Administration is so anti-domestic oil production in any form and so on the hook for "green" energy it's not even funny.

I think we are exporting more distillate products now than we have in a long time. Capacity isn't an issue.

fettpett
02-15-2012, 04:07 PM
I think we are exporting more distillate products now than we have in a long time. Capacity isn't an issue.

yes, i've said that before. Demand in the US is down, so what isn't needed gets exported.

however if we drill more we will need more capacity, kinda goes hand in hand.

SarasotaRepub
02-15-2012, 05:17 PM
You HAVE to have made that one up. You do a whole fake "DU" background to make them look legit, but you HAVE to be making some of them up. :p

Nope, I don't need to. They are all legit. :D

Arroyo_Doble
02-15-2012, 05:26 PM
yes, i've said that before. Demand in the US is down, so what isn't needed gets exported.

however if we drill more we will need more capacity, kinda goes hand in hand.

Oil production is also higher than it has been in awhile.

fettpett
02-15-2012, 05:58 PM
Oil production is also higher than it has been in awhile.

so? the capacity to produce more gasoline is no where near where it should be. there hasn't been a refinery built in 30+ years. some additions and upgrades isn't enough.

Chuck58
02-15-2012, 06:06 PM
so? the capacity to produce more gasoline is no where near where it should be. there hasn't been a refinery built in 30+ years. some additions and upgrades isn't enough.

Right. I think the last one was built in the 1970's.

Didn't we loan Colombia a couple of billion a while back to build a refinery? I thought that was a nice gesture. We go without needed refining capacity to help out another. Very Christian of us.

fettpett
02-15-2012, 07:10 PM
Right. I think the last one was built in the 1970's.

Didn't we loan Colombia a couple of billion a while back to build a refinery? I thought that was a nice gesture. We go without needed refining capacity to help out another. Very Christian of us.

2 Billion to Brazil

Retread
02-15-2012, 07:31 PM
Bakken plans first U.S. refinery in 35 years (http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/11/21/us-bakken-diesel-idUSTRE7AK0EC20111121)

The Bakken shale oil bonanza in North Dakota has already upended the U.S. oil market once by reversing a decades-long decline in production.

Now, as the boom fuels a surge in diesel consumption, the remote state may boast a second milestone: construction of the first U.S. greenfield refinery in 35 years.

----------------------

Personal point - In 2008 I paid $3.80 a gal - today I paid $3.35 - guvmint be damned, with inflation, it has to go to $4 locally before being in new territory.
Being a 40 year verteran of the O&G industry, the people are real lucky our industgry continued to find new and innovative technologies for every phase from exploration to final mixing. If it were subject to normal inflation it would be $10.