PDA

View Full Version : Westminster Snobbishness

SaintLouieWoman
02-15-2012, 11:39 PM
SUCH SNOBBINESS!!

Never thought about this before -

http://www.care2.com/causes/westminster-dog-show-rebuffs-shelter-dogs.html (http://www.care2.com/causes/westminster-dog-show-rebuffs-shelter-dogs.html)

Our poor greys weren't successful racers. Bella was zero for 9 races (but came in second one time). Darlene had a nonexistent record. Consequently they were cast off, but thankfully they were rescued by good groups of volunteers who kept them til we adopted them.

God bless the rescue folk and kudos to Pedigree pet food for sponsoring ads promoting adoption of shelter pets.

Novaheart
02-16-2012, 03:03 AM
In some ways, dog shows seem a lot like drag queen beauty contests and with a lot of the same people. Petty, capricious, and corrupt.

BadCat
02-16-2012, 09:00 AM
In some ways, dog shows seem a lot like drag queen beauty contests and with a lot of the same people. Petty, capricious, and corrupt.

And more dykes and fags than should be allowed to be together in one place. We have show dogs, my wife shows her own, she gets hit on by virtually all the women and none of the "men".

linda22003
02-16-2012, 09:06 AM
I don't fault Westminster for that; it's their call and they have certainly supported dog related charities. What I DO fault them for is giving Best in Show to that godawful, fat, wheezing Pekingese.

http://static.guim.co.uk/sys-images/Guardian/Pix/pictures/2012/2/15/1329266942713/A-Pekingese-named-Malachy-007.jpg

BadCat
02-16-2012, 09:09 AM
I don't fault Westminster for that; it's their call and they have certainly supported dog related charities. What I DO fault them for is giving Best in Show to that godawful, fat, wheezing Pekingese.

http://static.guim.co.uk/sys-images/Guardian/Pix/pictures/2012/2/15/1329266942713/A-Pekingese-named-Malachy-007.jpg

The AKC is very "clique-y", and even more political.

Our dog, who is a Grand Champion, has been completely dumped in some shows because we don't use a professional handler.

SarasotaRepub
02-16-2012, 10:13 AM

God! That's not a dog, it's a hairball on a lead. :D

linda22003
02-16-2012, 10:23 AM

You could shove a stick up its butt and use it as a Swiffer. The dog's name is "Malachy" but it should be "Cartman".

SaintLouieWoman
02-16-2012, 11:13 AM
The AKC is very "clique-y", and even more political.

Our dog, who is a Grand Champion, has been completely dumped in some shows because we don't use a professional handler.
I used to show Norwegian Elkhounds, but gave it up as I found the system to be very corrupt. The best way to describe the judging would be a comparison to ice skating judges, very subjective. If you didn't have a professional handler pin for the judges to see, forget about it unless the dog was so outstanding that even a prejudiced judge couldn't diss it. Wait, they do all the time. :rolleyes:

Obedience was more fair. I got CD titles on two very stubborn old schnauzers in obedience trials.

Novaheart
02-16-2012, 12:12 PM
And more dykes and fags than should be allowed to be together in one place. We have show dogs, my wife shows her own, she gets hit on by virtually all the women and none of the "men".

There is probably a kinder way of wording that, but was surprised to be told that the dog show circuit has more than its share of lesbians.

Now what I find disturbing is the "fag" who, like Tucker Carlson, surprises you by referring to his female wife. "Your what?"

Novaheart
02-16-2012, 12:13 PM

It's so cute. A tribble!

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/a/af/STTroubleTrib.jpg/200px-STTroubleTrib.jpg

linda22003
02-16-2012, 12:25 PM
There is probably a kinder way of wording that, but was surprised to be told that the dog show circuit has more than its share of lesbians.

You never saw the movie "Best in Show"? "Rhapsody has two mommies!"

Rebel Yell
02-16-2012, 12:42 PM
I was happy to see the Dobe and Boxer finish 1, 2 in the working group. That Boxer knew how to strike the pose on command.

Hawkgirl
02-16-2012, 12:50 PM
An old coworker of mine participated in dog shows with his pugs. He decorated his office with award ribbons. He was a flamer too.

Arroyo_Doble
02-16-2012, 06:03 PM
Yea, my favorite breeds rarely do well but I still enjoy the show.

This year was especially disappointing. The Toy Group is the only group that I don't watch.

SaintLouieWoman
02-17-2012, 12:36 AM
An old coworker of mine participated in dog shows with his pugs. He decorated his office with award ribbons. He was a flamer too.
SR's EX dentist showed standard poodles. The waiting room walls were crowded with pics of the dogs and their professional handlers being awarded ribbons. Her treatment plans were very creative---geared to maximum revenue for unnecessary work. Our dentist in St Louis confirmed it.

Hey, that showing is an expensive hobby---gotta get the money somewhere. Why not from the patients?:rolleyes:

Adam Wood
02-17-2012, 01:45 AM
In some ways, dog shows seem a lot like drag queen beauty contests and with a lot of the same people. Petty, capricious, and corrupt.I was about to ask "when is a dog show not chock-full of snobbishness?"

There have been a number of comparisons here. The comparison I make is the kiddie beauty pageant circuit. One has to wonder if those parents actually love their children to do that to them. I feel pretty much the same way about the dog pageant circuit.

Tipsycatlover
02-19-2012, 09:08 PM
They have a right to be snobs. They work very hard at breeding and caring for those animals.

I like to watch the dogs themselves. Their little personalities. Some are extremely proud of themselves and show off at every opportunity. Some are just there to have fun. I get a lot out of the way those dogs enjoy themselves.

Madisonian
02-20-2012, 05:50 PM
They have a right to be snobs. They work very hard at breeding and caring for those animals.

And those that don't make it in the show ring are sold and over bred by the "common folk" where the offspring work very hard at staying alive and out of shelters, rescues and pounds.
Also, don't look too hard at all the damage done to the various breeds by the breeding and caring snobs. It is too bad that in almost every case they have bred the usefulness out of the breed for the vanity of the looks.

Arroyo_Doble
02-20-2012, 05:53 PM
And those that don't make it in the show ring are sold and over bred by the "common folk" where the offspring work very hard at staying alive and out of shelters, rescues and pounds.
Also, don't look too hard at all the damage done to the various breeds by the breeding and caring snobs. It is too bad that in almost every case they have bred the usefulness out of the breed for the vanity of the looks.

So seeing the German Shepherds make you sad too?

Madisonian
02-20-2012, 06:19 PM

What the parent club has done (with ACK sponsorship and complicity) to the German Shepherds should be grounds for animal cruelty charges.

Herding breeds that can no longer herd, working breeds that can no longer work, sporting breeds that can do nothing.
But they shure are good lookin' dawgs, aren't they, even if they all look the same, which is the point of the so called "breed standard".

Yet ACK will still spew their "purebred are the best bred crap" and a gullible public will plop down hundreds or thousands to buy this years champion clone.

Tipsycatlover
02-21-2012, 10:52 AM
If you do not like the entire concept of canine breeding don't buy one.

Madisonian
02-21-2012, 02:11 PM
If you do not like the entire concept of canine breeding don't buy one.

Have not had to buy one in years. There are enough good dogs in shelters and rescues that I don't need to pay some ACK breeder for a pup from CH. Whoreallygivesadamn.
Even ones with ACK papers and all, imagine that. But ACK made their litter registration fee so their hands are clean.

BadCat
02-21-2012, 03:11 PM

Yeah, they've messed those up pretty bad.

Worst one (IMHO) was what they were doing to Doberman Pinschers a few years back.

The "preferred look" was for a small round skull.

They ended up breeding dogs whose brain was too large for their skulls, hence producing stealth attack dogs with perpetual migraines.

SaintLouieWoman
02-22-2012, 12:26 AM
Have not had to buy one in years. There are enough good dogs in shelters and rescues that I don't need to pay some ACK breeder for a pup from CH. Whoreallygivesadamn.
Even ones with ACK papers and all, imagine that. But ACK made their litter registration fee so their hands are clean.

We haven't "bought" one for years, either. The last pure bred dog that I bought was a Norwegian elkhound. I ended up buying the mom after seeing how the breeder was treating her. From that point on, I got into the greyhound adoption thing. Granted we pay a rescue group for the hound, but it's to cover vet bills and expenses the group carries til the dog is placed.

The AKC papers often don't mean that much, since the AKC doesn't really do anything to certify that the dogs are as advertised. I've seen some Norwegian elkhound pups that are pretty difficult to identify as an elkhound. I don't want to get into my anti puppy mill rant.

A friend in St Louis who used to be a reporter for the St Louis Post Dispatch on the pet beat told me that it was almost easier to get pics of an illicit moonshine or crack place than of a puppy mill. They both were heavily guarded. (She said this when her paper foolishly tried to get her to send a photographer for pics of some of the puppy mills that are way too prevalent in Missouri).

The most foolish of all are the folks who lay out big bucks on those "designer dogs", the crosses between two breeds that are trendy. To me designer dogs are a fancy name for mutts (and that actually could be a good thing, but not worth all the dollars charged). Many of the show dogs are way too closely line bred. My Buschy (Norwegian elkhound) was a closely line bred dog (brother/sister cross).

For a more reasonably priced designer dog, get one from the shelter.

Madisonian
02-22-2012, 08:33 PM
Since we foster for rescue, we are "allowed" to fail Fostering 101 occasionally and not have to pay the adoption fee, but we usually do anyway.
2 of our failures, Nisa and Tasha are both purebreds and I know that they were bred by ACK member backyard breeders.

Nisa
http://webpages.charter.net/loryder/self%20portrait.JPG
is a bred for color blue merle Border Collie. She is luckier than a couple others in the litter since she was the result of a merle x merle breeding which has a high mortality rate as well as other genetic issues.

Tasha
http://webpages.charter.net/loryder/tashasig.jpg
is a purebred Australian Shepherd that was not a merle Aussie and does not meet the so called "breed standard". She was given up by people "moving to Florida" and they "could not take the dog with them".

I never knew Florida had such draconian dog ownership laws.:biggrin:

SaintLouieWoman
02-24-2012, 12:36 AM
Since we foster for rescue, we are "allowed" to fail Fostering 101 occasionally and not have to pay the adoption fee, but we usually do anyway.
2 of our failures, Nisa and Tasha are both purebreds and I know that they were bred by ACK member backyard breeders.

Nisa
http://webpages.charter.net/loryder/self portrait.JPG
is a bred for color blue merle Border Collie. She is luckier than a couple others in the litter since she was the result of a merle x merle breeding which has a high mortality rate as well as other genetic issues.

Tasha
http://webpages.charter.net/loryder/tashasig.jpg
is a purebred Australian Shepherd that was not a merle Aussie and does not meet the so called "breed standard". She was given up by people "moving to Florida" and they "could not take the dog with them".

I never knew Florida had such draconian dog ownership laws.:biggrin:

Florida is very lax with regulations. The only thing that is difficult is finding a development (subdivision) allowing fences. Our criteria for houses that allowed fences really limited our selection.

Your dogs are beautiful.

Don't you just love the excuses people use to give up their pets? A lot of that is happening down here. The group that had Bella Blue has some gorgeous greyhounds, but it seems that it's really taking a long time to place them. I guess with the economy people aren't so quick to adopt animals, particularly large ones.

Hawkgirl
02-24-2012, 04:44 PM
Your Australian Shepherd is beautiful! I didn't know about that breed. It resembles a Bernese Mountain Dog.

Madisonian
02-24-2012, 04:54 PM
Your Australian Shepherd is beautiful! I didn't know about that breed. It resembles a Bernese Mountain Dog.

Tasha thanks you. Most conformation bred Aussies are bred to be merles and while her red and white coloring with copper points in itself is not a "flaw" in the breed standard, she would have been judged down on that alone and her white does not meet the standard (too much in the wrong places) so she would have been disqualified. That is why she was sold to a pet home, which for her is fortunate because had she met the standard better, she most likely would have been bred every heat from 18 months until too old to breed any longer.