PDA

View Full Version : Ben & Jerry's Apologizes For Jeremy Lin Ice Cream

NJCardFan
02-26-2012, 01:31 PM
Don't know if you all heard but Ben & Jerry's made an ice cream named for NY Knicks sensation Jeremy Lin and had the audacity to include pieces of fortune cookie in it. Well, people went ballistic apparently and they pulled it and replaced the fortune cookie pieces with waffle cone pieces(already seen in other B&J flavors). This is the best write up on the subject I've seen:

This is Lin-sanity: Ben and Jerry's apologizes for new flavor
News item: The Ben and Jerry's ice cream company has publicly apologized for including bits of fortune cookie in a new hand-made flavor sold in Boston honoring New York Knicks guard and Harvard graduate Jeremy Lin.

"We offer a heartfelt apology if anyone was offended by our handmade Lin-Sanity flavor," Ben & Jerry's said in a statement.

My take: Really? Have we really reached the point in our society where attaching some harmless, ubiquitous item of Chinese takeout food to the fact that Jeremy Lin is Asian-American really qualifies as an offensive racial incident?

Obviously, we have, since there already had been a controversy over the MSG Network showing a sign at a Knicks game that showed Lin's head coming out of a broken fortune cookie. That was admittedly ham-fisted (BTW, am I allowed to talk about ham, or will it offend someone from PETA?), but it wasn't hateful and the attempts to suppress any speech or reference connecting someone's nationality to some cliche associated with that ethnicity has reached a level that borders on the ridiculous.

Sure, there are lines that you don't cross doing that, but is this really where you want to draw it?

Ben and Jerry's has all sorts of edgy flavors and flavor names. The company was trying to honor Lin in the Boston area because he went to Harvard. Instead, they've apologized and replaced the fortune cookie bits with pieces of waffle cone. I hope that doesn't mean they are implying that Lin is indecisive on the court, or there's going to be hell to pay. http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/schmuck-blog/bal-really-ben-and-jerrys-apologizes-for-new-ice-cream-flavor-20120226,0,1235693.story?track=rss

Articulate_Ape
02-26-2012, 01:55 PM
Look on the bright side, they could have named it Chinky Minky.

Odysseus
02-26-2012, 02:07 PM
That was admittedly ham-fisted (BTW, am I allowed to talk about ham, or will it offend someone from PETA?), but it wasn't hateful and the attempts to suppress any speech or reference connecting someone's nationality to some cliche associated with that ethnicity has reached a level that borders on the ridiculous.
PETA and Muslims. Get ready for riots. :biggrin-new:

Making it Mu-Shu pork flavored was probably not helpful, either. :biggrin-new:

ABC in Georgia
02-26-2012, 03:06 PM
Oh brother ...

I am getting so tired of all the apolgies made by all sides these days, another day, another PC MC apology.

The cowards that do and shouldn't ... and those that really should, like Karzai ... wouldn't dream of doing so!

A curse on all their houses! >livid< :livid:

~ ABC

fettpett
02-26-2012, 05:11 PM
PETA and Muslims. Get ready for riots. :biggrin-new:

Making it Mu-Shu pork flavored was probably not helpful, either. :biggrin-new:

Chow-Lin noodle flavor :cool::cool:

Molon Labe
02-26-2012, 06:40 PM

heh heh....:thumbsup:

NJCardFan
02-27-2012, 12:12 AM

There is a cheesesteak place in Philly called Chinks.

AmPat
02-28-2012, 12:47 PM
I don't buy Ben and Jerry products. Wherever ice cream is sold, there is usually a choice so I don't support those liberal A-holes.

Eupher
02-28-2012, 12:59 PM
I don't buy Ben and Jerry products. Wherever ice cream is sold, there is usually a choice so I don't support those liberal A-holes.

There's liberal and there's LIBERAL. These guys are way over the top with their lib-ness. Kinda interesting in that they're capitalist pigs making money hand over fist.

Their products wouldn't be all that bad if they'd keep all the non-ice-cream crap out of it. But, since fortune cookies cost a helluva lot less than ice cream, what a great way to filch even more money out of the unsuspecting customer! Fill the container up with cheap cookies then pack the expensive ice cream around 'em!

Oh, wait. The more to pay for cage-free eggs......

http://www.benjerry.com/activism/inside-the-pint/

fettpett
02-28-2012, 03:34 PM
eh....stuff tastes good...hell if Rush over looked Steve Jobs libtardness and only use Apple products...I'll eat some good ice cream

AmPat
02-29-2012, 04:22 PM
eh....stuff tastes good...hell if Rush over looked Steve Jobs libtardness and only use Apple products...I'll eat some good ice cream
You must have missed the part where I said there was always another product choice. I can't tell the difference between tastes of a premium ice cream. Are you suggesting that Ben and Jerrys have a monopoly somewhere?

Novaheart
02-29-2012, 04:30 PM
Did Jeremy Lin complain? If not, precisely to whom is Ben And Jerry's apologizing?

Odysseus
02-29-2012, 04:36 PM

Same here. I want an ice cream whose manufacturer promises to give a percentage to the perpetuation of American hegemony instead of world peace.

AmPat
02-29-2012, 04:52 PM
Did Jeremy Lin complain? If not, precisely to whom is Ben And Jerry's apologizing?
All the nips, chinks, micks and spics. They are very, very bad.

NJCardFan
02-29-2012, 05:34 PM
All the nips, chinks, micks and spics. They are very, very bad.

Hey, we degos want our apology too.

Eupher
02-29-2012, 06:23 PM

Okay, I'll bite.

I'm sorry that Ben and Jerry make great liberal ice cream with nary a thought made to defense of this fine country and the sacrifice of those who do what needs to be done.

I'm sorry that Ben and Jerry put more crap in their ice cream than skittles from shitting ponies.

And I'm sorry that there doesn't appear to be a major, premium ice cream maker that extols the virtues of American hegemony (h/t to Ody).

Will that do?:Flag2:

DumbAss Tanker
02-29-2012, 07:49 PM
Ben and Jerry so sorry.

:cool:

Novaheart
02-29-2012, 11:25 PM

How did I know that?

Rockntractor
02-29-2012, 11:34 PM
How did I know that?

You don't get any ice cream, no!http://www.planetsmilies.com/smilies/mad/mad0003.gif

AmPat
03-01-2012, 02:55 AM
Okay, I'll bite.

I'm sorry that Ben and Jerry make great liberal ice cream with nary a thought made to defense of this fine country and the sacrifice of those who do what needs to be done.

I'm sorry that Ben and Jerry put more crap in their ice cream than skittles from shitting ponies.

And I'm sorry that there doesn't appear to be a major, premium ice cream maker that extols the virtues of American hegemony (h/t to Ody).

Will that do?:Flag2:American hegemony. Now that sounds like a great flavor.

Dan D. Doty
03-06-2012, 04:25 PM
There's liberal and there's LIBERAL. These guys are way over the top with their lib-ness. Kinda interesting in that they're capitalist pigs making money hand over fist.

Their products wouldn't be all that bad if they'd keep all the non-ice-cream crap out of it. But, since fortune cookies cost a helluva lot less than ice cream, what a great way to filch even more money out of the unsuspecting customer! Fill the container up with cheap cookies then pack the expensive ice cream around 'em!

Oh, wait. The more to pay for cage-free eggs......

http://www.benjerry.com/activism/inside-the-pint/

Who wants to pay for over priced ice cream that preaches you.

Ben and Jerry got themselves in a little hot water a few years back because they wanted to ask about the political beliefs of people who came in for job interviews.

But right now I'd like those clowns to say they were sorry for their stand on gun control.