PDA

View Full Version : Pot Roast

cat714
09-15-2008, 02:51 AM
I made this today and everyone gobbled it up, so it must be good. I certainly liked it. :D I like a lot of sauce and this recipe makes quite a bit of it.

3 cans of Cream of Mushroom Soup
1 pkg of Onion Soup/Dip Mix
1 3/4 cups of water
5 1/2 lbs of Pot Roast

Mix soup, onion mix and water together. Put the pot roast in the slow cooker first and then pour the mix all over. Cook on low for 8-9 hours. I served it with brown rice.

linda22003
09-15-2008, 08:22 AM
I'm sure it was good, but the sodium in that version would kill me on the spot. I brown my pot roast with a bit of salt, pepper, and a little cinnamon, then put it in the crockpot on a bed of sliced onions, and add red wine.

Gingersnap
09-15-2008, 10:12 AM
I don't care for cream of mushroom soup but I make a lot of pot roast.

I usually brown it in olive oil, tuck some garlic slivers in it, and put it on top of the potatoes, carrots, and onions. The I add about a cup of leftover coffee, some Worcestershire sauce, and some beef broth to make up about 2 cups total of liquid. Obviously, I also add bay leaves and other spices. Later, I take the meat and veggies out of the crockpot and reduce the liquid. If it needs a little thickening, I just mash up one of the potatoes in it.

Now, I have made pot roast with canned soup but I've only ever used just one can of Golden Mushroom soup and a can's worth of broth or broth/wine.

Like Linda Numbers, I think that much soup along with the soup mix might be a little salty. But everybody is different.

linda22003
09-15-2008, 10:18 AM
We all have different salt tolerances. Someone who likes to put onion soup mix in things obviously has a very high salt tolerance. Once you've moved away from high sodium content, you really notice it when you encounter it again!

megimoo
09-15-2008, 10:44 AM

I usually brown it in olive oil, tuck some garlic slivers in it, and put it on top of the potatoes, carrots, and onions. The I add about a cup of leftover coffee, some Worcestershire sauce, and some beef broth to make up about 2 cups total of liquid. Obviously, I also add bay leaves and other spices. Later, I take the meat and veggies out of the crockpot and reduce the liquid. If it needs a little thickening, I just mash up one of the potatoes in it.

Now, I have made pot roast with canned soup but I've only ever used just one can of Golden Mushroom soup and a can's worth of broth or broth/wine.

Like Linda Numbers, I think that much soup along with the soup mix might be a little salty. But everybody is different.
German-Jewish Pot Roast (Sauerbraten)

2 onions, sliced
4 bay leaves
8 whole peppercorns
1 tbsp; salt
1/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup red wine vinegar
2 cups water, enough to cover meat
3 lb to 4 lb "make it about an 8 lb bottom round roast "
bottom round, brisket, or chuck
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup raisins
8 pitted prunes
1/4 ts ginger, ground
Substitute about twelve ginger snap cookies
found in the cookie section .
1 tsp potato starch (optional)

In deep glass or ceramic bowl, place onions, bay leaves, peppercorns, salt, sugar, vinegar, & water. Mix well, until sugar is dissolved.
"Try one of those large sized ziplock bags with a double seal
or double bag it with a regular very large sized ziplock bag in a large pyrex dish ."

Place meat in marinade. Piece meat all over w/long-pronged fork & turn it in marinade several times. Cover w/plastic wrap & refrigerate
for 2 to 3 days. Turn meat in marinade at least twice a day.

Preheat oven to 450F. Remove meat from marinade & place in a heavy Dutch oven w/ tight fitting lid. Strain & reserve marinade. Add all onions to meat & about 3 tb marinade.

Bake, uncovered, in preheated oven for 15-20 mins until meat browns. Add 2 c reserved marinade & as much water as needed to cover meat halfway. Reduce oven temp to 375F. Cover tightly. Bake for 2-1/2 to 3 hrs, until tender.
Remove meat to serving platter. Strain pan juices. Replace meat in pot. Add brown sugar, raisins, prunes, & ginger. If you wish to
thicken pan juices, remove 1/4 c liquid from pot & dissolve potato starch in it. Return to pot & heat gently on top of stove, until thicken. Do not boil. Slice pot roast. Pour pan juices over roast & serve. Serves 8 to 12
Bavarian Red Cabbage

1 large head of red cabbage, outer leaves removed, washed an coarsely chopped
2 onions, coarsely chopped
4 large cooking apples, peeled, cored and cut into eighths
2 tsp salt
500ml hot water
3 tbsp brown sugar

Layer the red cabbage, onions and apples in a slow cooker (crockpot) then mix together the salt and brown sugar in the water and pour this over the top. Cover and cook on low for about 9 hours (or high for 3 hours). Stir well and serve hot.
or
Sauerbraten with Potato Dumplings and Apple Sauce

(Rheinischer Sauerbraten mit Kartoffelklößen und Apfelmus)
However, you need plenty of room in your refrigerator to accommodate four days of marinating.
again "Try one of those large sized ziplock bags with a double seal
or double bag it with a regular very large sized ziplock bag in a large pyrex dish ."

3lb pounds rolled brisket
"8 lb Bottom Round Roast "
1 tbsp. salt
1/2 tsp. pepper
2 onions, sliced
1 carrot, sliced
1 stalk celery, chopped
4 cloves
4 peppercorns
2 cups red wine vinegar
2 bay leaves
2 tbsp. bacon drippings
6 tbsp. butter
5 tbsp. flour
1 tbsp. sugar
1/2 cup yellow raisins (optional)
Potato Dumplings (recipe follows)
8 to 10 gingersnaps, crushed (can be replaced by 1 tsp. corn starch or arrow root)

Wipe roast with damp cloth; season with salt and pepper. Place in earthenware, glass or enamel bowl. Combine onions, carrot, celery, cloves, peppercorns, vinegar and bay leaves and pour over meat. Cover and marinate in refrigerator for 4 days.

On fifth day remove meat from refrigerator and drain, reserving marinade. Saute meat in bacon drippings plus 1 tablespoon butter until seared on all sides. Cover with reserved marinade and bring to boil, then lower heat and simmer for about 3 hours.

Melt remaining 5 tablespoons of butter in a pan and stir in flour to form a roux. Blend in sugar and brown to nice dark color. Stir roux into liquid in the pot and add raisins (optional).

Cover and continue to simmer until meat is tender, about 1 hour longer.

Prepare the potato dumplings

Remove meat to a warm serving platter. Stir crushed gingersnaps or starch into the pot juices and cook until thickened. Pour over meat.

Serve with potato dumplings and apple sauce. Red cabbage makes another good accompaniment.

FOR THE POTATO DUMPLINGS:

6 medium-sized potatoes (about 2-1/4 pounds)
3 eggs
6 tbsp. flour
butter, melted and browned
bread crumbs

Boil the potatoes and let stand for a few hours or overnight, still in their jackets.

Peel the potatoes and mash them. Add eggs and flour, form mixture into little balls.

Chill in the refrigerator for about an hour before cooking.

Bring lightly salted water to just under boiling point. Gently drop in a few dumplings, being careful not to overcrowd them. When the dumplings are cooked, they will rise to the top. To make sure your mixture has the right consistency, cook a single dumpling first. If it does not hold together, add more flour to the mixture.

Serve hot with melted, browned butter and bread crumbs.
"Also have a good supply of sour dough or pumpernickel bread and
a bunch of good cold German larger or Sam Adams Dark " .
Servings: 8- 12
Source: German Embassy, Washington, DC

Phillygirl
09-15-2008, 10:53 AM
I never make stuff like this (what I consider "real food"). I love cream of mushroom soup as a gravy base (it's what I grew up on). Sounds good and now I have a recipe if I ever deign to make real food. Just need to get the slow cooker!

Gingersnap
09-15-2008, 11:00 AM
I never make stuff like this (what I consider "real food"). I love cream of mushroom soup as a gravy base (it's what I grew up on). Sounds good and now I have a recipe if I ever deign to make real food. Just need to get the slow cooker!

You of all people should get a good slow cooker. I have three of them!

linda22003
09-15-2008, 11:44 AM

I have three as well, 5 qt., 7 qt., and a small 1 qt. - it's great to wake up to slow cooked oatmeal or other hot cereal in the morning.

megimoo
09-15-2008, 11:51 AM
I never make stuff like this (what I consider "real food"). I love cream of mushroom soup as a gravy base (it's what I grew up on). Sounds good and now I have a recipe if I ever deign to make real food. Just need to get the slow cooker!You don't really need one.Think of all of those German Housewives making food on a stove top with cast iron pots and oven pans.The sourbratten was crocked in an earthenware crocks in the cellar or kitchen pantry without refrigeration with cheesecloth to keep the flys out !

megimoo
09-15-2008, 12:16 PM

Like Linda Numbers, I think that much soup along with the soup mix might be a little salty. But everybody is different.KARTOFFEL KLOESSE (POTATO CROQUETTES)

9 med. size potatoes
1 tsp. salt
3 eggs, well beaten
1 c. flour
2/3 c. fine dry bread crumbs
1/2 tsp. ground nutmeg
1 c. butter
1/2 c. bread crumbs
1 to 2 tbsp. chopped onion

Scrub potatoes and cook in their jackets until soft. Remove the skins and put potatoes through a ricer into a bowl. Thoroughly mix in the salt, eggs, flour, 2/3 cup bread crumbs, and nutmeg. Form mixture into balls (if mixture is too moist, add more bread crumbs). Drop the balls into boiling salted water. When balls come to the surface, allow them to boil for 3 minutes. Remove one from liquid and cut open; if center is dry, they are sufficiently cooked. Remove from liquid to hot platter and pour over them a dressing made as follows: brown the butter in a skillet; add the 1/2 cup bread crumbs and onion. Cook for several minutes. 12 to 14 servings.
Sauerbraten recipe taste great served over these Potato Croquettes.

Phillygirl
09-15-2008, 02:25 PM

I finally got one about 4 years ago. Used it twice and then broke the lid on it. The first time I put it on high and left...burned the crap out of whatever I was making. The second time I used it just to keep some meatballs warm, not for cooking. I'm a bit iffy about turning a cooking fixture on and leaving the house. I'm not certain what my homeowner's deductible is.

Gingersnap
09-15-2008, 02:51 PM
I finally got one about 4 years ago. Used it twice and then broke the lid on it. The first time I put it on high and left...burned the crap out of whatever I was making. The second time I used it just to keep some meatballs warm, not for cooking. I'm a bit iffy about turning a cooking fixture on and leaving the house. I'm not certain what my homeowner's deductible is.

I can't imagine what happened to make it break the lid. Normally, you wouldn't put a crockpot on high and leave the house for more than an hour or so but the food inside would just slowly carbonize, it wouldn't explode or catch on fire.

Try buying one with at least 4 settings. If you put everything in the pot the night before (except the potatoes), it's very easy to dump a few spuds in there in the morning and set it on low all day long. I use mine often enough in the fall and winter to leave it out on the counter all the time and I hate stuff cluttering up the counter. There are a couple of the good low carb cookbooks for crockpots now, too. :)

megimoo
09-15-2008, 02:52 PM

Those things are just about failsafe.They draw so little current on low heat the only dangerous thing that you could do is to put one on top of a bunch of papers when you leave for the day .

As for burning foods just keep enough fluids in the cooker and it will be fine.We use it for beef stew and stewed chicken and have never had a problem with it .

It would be great for someone like you who work and are out of the house all day long.Just learn to plan ahead for the meals and adjust the cooking times .

Some of the high end crockpots have built in timers to start and stop at a certain time.Even if you are late coming home the pot and the food will be warm.

linda22003
09-15-2008, 02:55 PM
It would be great for someone like you who work and are out of the house all day long.Just learn to plan ahead for the meals...

We may have found the weak link here...

Phillygirl
09-15-2008, 03:13 PM
I can't imagine what happened to make it break the lid.

I dropped it on my garage floor.

Normally, you wouldn't put a crockpot on high and leave the house for more than an hour or so but the food inside would just slowly carbonize, it wouldn't explode or catch on fire.
Yeah...I thought I put it on low. And my brother innocently asked me when I got home whether I meant to have it boiling away like that...but it smelled good (:rolleyes:)

Try buying one with at least 4 settings. If you put everything in the pot the night before (except the potatoes), it's very easy to dump a few spuds in there in the morning and set it on low all day long. I use mine often enough in the fall and winter to leave it out on the counter all the time and I hate stuff cluttering up the counter. There are a couple of the good low carb cookbooks for crockpots now, too. :)

I see lots of good recipes for crockpots and really do think it sounds like a great idea. I will purchase one with multiple settings. I'm still afraid to leave the house with it on though.

Phillygirl
09-15-2008, 03:14 PM
Those things are just about failsafe.They draw so little current on low heat the only dangerous thing that you could do is to put one on top of a bunch of papers when you leave for the day .

As for burning foods just keep enough fluids in the cooker and it will be fine.We use it for beef stew and stewed chicken and have never had a problem with it .

It would be great for someone like you who work and are out of the house all day long.Just learn to plan ahead for the meals and adjust the cooking times .

Some of the high end crockpots have built in timers to start and stop at a certain time.Even if you are late coming home the pot and the food will be warm.

So I hear. And Linda numbers is right. The planning aspect of it is not my strong suit.

linda22003
09-15-2008, 03:17 PM
And Linda numbers is right. The planning aspect of it is not my strong suit.

It wasn't really a shot at you; I didn't do that sort of thing much when I was "cooking for one", either.

Phillygirl
09-15-2008, 03:22 PM
It wasn't really a shot at you; I didn't do that sort of thing much when I was "cooking for one", either.

I know what you mean. When my brother and his kids were living with me for awhile, I thought I would use it more frequently. They liked Chinese food and chicken fingers, though. In 18 months I think I cooked them 2 real meals. :p

LibraryLady
09-15-2008, 03:32 PM
I'm sure it was good, but the sodium in that version would kill me on the spot. I brown my pot roast with a bit of salt, pepper, and a little cinnamon, then put it in the crockpot on a bed of sliced onions, and add red wine.

I have a similar method but have never used cinnamon. I sear the roast in oil, onions and seasonings. My grandmother always added ketchup with the liquid and so do I. My family loves my pot roast.

linda22003
09-15-2008, 04:40 PM
The cinnamon just adds a little sweetness; it's not identifiable as a flavor. It mixes with the wine very well.

lacarnut
09-17-2008, 12:27 PM
I have a similar method but have never used cinnamon. I sear the roast in oil, onions and seasonings. My grandmother always added ketchup with the liquid and so do I. My family loves my pot roast.

For gravy I use Louisiana Gumbo mix. Use about 1/3 of the dry mix with water. Gives the roast a fantastic taste.

Ree
09-24-2008, 10:36 AM
Usin the slow cooker bags make cleanup a breeze....;)

linda22003
09-24-2008, 10:37 AM
I'm doing a variation today, using brisket. See my post in the day thread, "Wonky Wednesday".

Kristin
10-04-2008, 02:20 PM

I have two of them and they are the greatest thing ever. I can put it on in the morning before I leave for classes and dinner is ready when my husband and I get home. If you don't think you have time to cook a good, cheap dinner for your family, you need a crock pot.

Kristin
10-04-2008, 02:23 PM
So I hear. And Linda numbers is right. The planning aspect of it is not my strong suit.

My husband and I sit down once every two weeks and put our meal plan together. It takes us about 15 minutes. Then we go grocery shopping and are set for two weeks. Planning actually saves time because you don't have to think about what's for dinner and it saves us a ton of money. You can see our last meal plan on my blog.

Kristin
10-04-2008, 02:25 PM
The cinnamon just adds a little sweetness; it's not identifiable as a flavor. It mixes with the wine very well.

Cinnamon also acts to tenderize the meat.

wineslob
10-08-2008, 04:08 PM
Noobs, all of you. You need a Dutch Oven. (a "12")

Dutch Oven roast:

Heat up oven on a grill over a open fire. Take 2 slices of bacon and render in the oven. Remove and eat bacon. Once you get the fire "right" you will need to maintain it for the whole process. (keep the Dutch Oven at a simmer/LOW boil)
Take one thick cut (2") 7 bone chuck roast, dust in flour seasoned with S&P. Brown roast in oven using the bacon drippings.
Add 2 cans of cream of mushroom soup.
2 large garlic cloves, quartered.
1 pkg Lipton onion soup mix.
Fill oven with water until the roast is almost covered. When it simmers, add 1-2 beef bulion cubes.
Let simmer for 1 hour, covered.
Add , 7-8 peeled potatos, quartered.
Simmer 1 hour, covered
Add celery tops, 1/2 lb quartered whole mushrooms, 1 pkg (1 lb) baby carrots and one yellow onion halved and sliced.
Simmer another hour, yup, covered.
Make a double batch of Bisquick dumplings (from the recipe on the box). Add dumplings (the dough (drops) should be about the size of a handball/golfball). Cook with the lid off for 20 min and then the lid on for another 20.
Thank me later.