PDA

View Full Version : Monkees star Davy Jones dies at 66

txradioguy
02-29-2012, 02:27 PM
http://msnbcmedia.msn.com/j/MSNBC/Components/Photo/_new/120229-davy-jones-02.photoblog600.jpg

Singer Davy Jones of The Monkees has died of a heart attack at 66, the medical examiner's office in Martin County, Fla. has confirmed to NBC News.

The news was originally reported by TMZ.

Jones was most famous for his role in the pop group The Monkees, which was put together in 1965 for the TV show of the same name. Their hits included "Daydream Believer," "Last Train to Clarksville," "I'm a Believer," and "Pleasant Valley Sunday." They also charted with the theme song from the show.

He also made a famous appearance on "The Brady Bunch."

In 2008, Yahoo Music named him the top teen idol of all time.

http://todayentertainment.today.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2012/02/29/10540912-monkees-star-davy-jones-dies-at-66

Molon Labe
02-29-2012, 02:35 PM
well damn. Wer'e getting old.

RIP.

I remember the late 80s Monkees reunion.

txradioguy
02-29-2012, 02:38 PM
well damn. Wer'e getting old.

RIP.

I remember the late 80s Monkees reunion.

I remember driving round in High School in the mid 80's with their Greatest Hits tape cranked up in my car.

Little known useless music trivia fact: David Bowie is said to have come up with the last name of "Bowie" when he got a recording contract because the name David "Davy" Jones was already associated with the Monkees lead singer...Jones was Bowie's real last name.

Tipsycatlover
02-29-2012, 02:42 PM
What a shame. I was quite a fan back in the day.

We are indeed all getting old.

jendf
02-29-2012, 02:43 PM
My mom and I watched them at the state fair some years ago. Mom always talked about what a crush she had on Davy (what girl didn't!). She still has their old records. Like those big round black discs. And a turntable to play them on. She'll probably do that today. LOL.

Somewhere, Marcia Brady is shedding a tear.

Molon Labe
02-29-2012, 02:44 PM
I still have this old Christmas video on a tape somewhere...lol..

Even got the old MTV Vjs in it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ip5G3YcIGLo

linda22003
02-29-2012, 02:59 PM
She still has their old records. Like those big round black discs.

Yes, Jen, most of us know what "records" are/were. :smile-new:

Kay
02-29-2012, 02:59 PM
My girlfriends and I never missed The Monkees show.
Of course Davy was always our favorite. :blue:

jendf
02-29-2012, 03:03 PM
Yes, Jen, most of us know what "records" are/were. :smile-new:

Yeah, it was a kind of joke. I had no doubt you all were older than dirt. :biggrin-new:

linda22003
02-29-2012, 03:20 PM
Yeah, it was a kind of joke. I had no doubt you all were older than dirt. :biggrin-new:

No kidding. Davy was only ten years older than I am. :frown-new:

SaintLouieWoman
02-29-2012, 04:20 PM
RIP Davie. He went too young. I saw him about 8 years ago at the St Louis Zoo's Zoofari party. It was a black tie event held on the Zoo grounds, always with a big name (or former big name) "star" attraction. He was it that year. I saw a semi-sleazy looking younger girl standing by the stage. Sure enough, she was waiting for him and they walked off together after the performance. Maybe he was getting too old for that. :rolleyes:

noonwitch
02-29-2012, 04:21 PM
I think more of The Brady Bunch when I think of Davy Jones than I do of The Monkees. I was not a teen when The Monkees was on television, I was a little kid, and I watched most of the episodes during the 80s revival on MTV.

But I'll never forget when Davy sang at the Fillmore Junior High School dance!

namvet
02-29-2012, 04:38 PM
I remember them from the 60's. on the radio mixed in with anti war songs

Odysseus
02-29-2012, 04:40 PM
My girlfriends and I never missed The Monkees show.
Of course Davy was always our favorite. :blue:

You didn't promise to have him sing at your prom, did you?

I actually liked the Monkees more than the Beatles (less pretention, for one thing). RIP.

NJCardFan
02-29-2012, 05:33 PM
Little known facts:

Had there been no Davy Jones, there would have been no Pavel Chekov on Star Trek. Funny story involving this. Walter Koenig said that one day he was in a restaurant when a woman approached his table and said that one of her companions would be thrilled if he would go talk to her for a few minutes. He agreed to do it when the woman said, "And can you sing the Monkees theme song when you walk over?" She thought he was Davy Jones.

Jimi Hendrix once opened for The Monkees.

Saw a great episode on Biography Channel about The Monkees. Some interesting facts. They didn't have too many nice things to say about creator Don Kirshner and Davy, Micky, and Peter still have(or in Davy's case had) an estranged relationship with Mike Nesmith. Would be nice to see the 3 surviving members do something for Davy in the near future.

Kay
02-29-2012, 10:54 PM
Another interesting fact is Mike's mother invented liquid paper (white out)

I actually liked the Monkees more than the Beatles (less pretention, for one thing). RIP.

Oh hands down I'd take the Monkees over Beatles anyday.
And Davy over Sir Paul anyday too.

Chuck58
02-29-2012, 11:19 PM
I never saw them. I was around 20 or 21 when they came along in the mid '60's.

Besides that, to me the music ended in Feb 1959 in an Iowa cornfield.

Retread
03-01-2012, 12:16 AM
No kidding. Davy was only ten years older than I am. :frown-new:

Just a kid - I'm 4 years his senior.

Bailey
03-01-2012, 07:41 AM
RIP Davy :(

I dont see the attraction to him or his band :(

Bailey
03-01-2012, 08:16 AM
A friend told me he'd died but then I saw her face....

RedGrouse
03-01-2012, 11:48 AM
I remember watching The Monkees on TV. They were cool.

Cicero
03-09-2012, 12:14 AM
I used to watch their show as a kid on nickelodeon. My mother was a huge fan. I sang Day Dream Believer for her at her 40th anniversary party. It is a shame that we must lose a little bit of our past every day.

RIP Davy Jones.

AmPat
03-13-2012, 12:52 AM
A friend told me he'd died but then I saw her face....Now you're a believer?