PDA

View Full Version : New Tornado Outbreak

djones520
03-02-2012, 06:36 PM
http://www.spc.noaa.gov/climo/reports/today_filtered.gif

Widespread in the midwest today. Had a weak F1 just a couple miles directly to the east here. This is shaping up to be a fun spring.

Town in Indiana got levelled today. Heard 3 dead so far. Hope that's the extent of it.

SarasotaRepub
03-02-2012, 06:59 PM
Not a good day... (http://www.cnn.com/2012/03/02/us/severe-weather/index.html?hpt=hp_t1)

(CNN) -- A powerful severe storm system moved across the United States on Friday, causing at least three apparent tornadoes from Alabama to Indiana and threatening even more destruction as the day wore on.
National Weather Service meteorologist John Gordon reported Friday afternoon the agency has about "half a dozen reports of tornadoes on the ground," as well as reports of "significant damage" -- stressing all the while that the worst may still be to come.

As of 4:50 p.m. ET, the weather service had 22 active tornado warnings out affecting 47 counties, plus five less urgent tornado watches that spanned 12 states.

SarasotaRepub
03-02-2012, 07:10 PM
4 dead now...:blue:

Rockntractor
03-02-2012, 07:14 PM
4 dead now...:blue:

There will be more, the video on Fox is showing one that is huge.

SarasotaRepub
03-02-2012, 08:18 PM
Multiple vortex twisters. Really nasty...

SarasotaRepub
03-02-2012, 08:50 PM
8 dead now.

Kay
03-02-2012, 09:49 PM
Wow, I'm just now catching up on todays news.
The videos are horrible.

djones520
03-02-2012, 10:07 PM
Seems a small town called West Liberty, KY, about 50-60 miles east of Lexington got wrecked. Reports of the downtown area getting it. Lots of damaged buildings with injured people trapped inside.

ABC in Georgia
03-02-2012, 10:09 PM
Scary night here too where we live. North East Georgia near NC. border.

Is a tornado now in Murphy, NC. 40 miles north of us, where our cabin and friends are.

We live in Towns County Ga. ... doing absolutely OK so far. Nothing happening, even 'tho we are under a tornado watch. Not a warning at the moment.

Hubby is outside on deck watching all the lightning to the north of us, I am inside watching the storm tracker folks from Atlanta (125 miles south of us) ... on TV, that include coverage even as far north as our little town of Hiawassee, thank goodness.

Have flashlight in hand, ready to head downstairs, to the lower floor and spend the night down there tonight. Will just grab the kitty and head down if we have to.

Power is going off an on as I am typing. Gotta go.

~ ABC

Kay
03-02-2012, 10:24 PM
I will be thinking about you tonight ABC.
Keep the kitty close just in case.

ABC in Georgia
03-02-2012, 10:29 PM
Things pretty calm, no wind, rain, anything at moment.

The pictures of all the damage in Tenn. and other states is dreadful, the poor people.

The death toll for sure is going to rise, with folks trapped under the rubble.

Can't get a hold of our friends in Murphy, hope they are OK. Storm has passed over them now.

~ ABC

Oops! Thanks Kay ... you are a sweetie.

SarasotaRepub
03-03-2012, 09:46 AM
At least 31 dead so far. (http://www.cnn.com/2012/03/03/us/severe-weather/index.html?hpt=hp_t1)

By the CNN Wire Staff
updated 8:10 AM EST, Sat March 3, 2012

(CNN) -- As daylight emerged through the clouds Saturday, rescuers frantically searched for survivors after a string of vicious storms obliterated entire towns and killed dozens of people throughout the South and Midwest.

The tornado outbreak, unusual for this time of year, killed at least 31 people. Saturday began with large swaths of the South still battered by heavy rain and under tornado watches -- and a real fear of the death toll rising.

Of the 31 victims, 15 were in Indiana, 12 in Kentucky, three in Ohio and one in Alabama.

Apache
03-03-2012, 06:59 PM
i thank God that i'm not in indiana right now. though it has been very windy here in arkansas, nothing like there....

Retread
03-03-2012, 10:54 PM
I've had a lifetime of near misses with these storms. My grandparents and I slept through the one that eotated the hpuse on it's foundation. We discovered that when I fell out the back door the next morning because the steps were about two feet left of the door. A lady was killed about a mile over by being wrapped around a tree.

I sat on my front porch in Wichita KS one saturday afternoon in late '72 or early '73 and lost count of the twister tails coming down out ot the clouds. There were more toranados reported in KS that night than uaually occur in a year. One small town to the north was wiped clean by a storm that picked up a wheat silo and used it like a broom as it traveled through town.

I was in a hotel room in Tulsa, OK the night Midwest City was torn to hell. I called my aunt who kived i there and miracle of miracles, the phones were working and she and my cousin were fine. The ground track ran just over a block south of them.

My prayers go out to all those in the path.