PDA

View Full Version : A heartbreaking scene at lunch

SarasotaRepub
03-08-2012, 03:25 PM
Oh BULLSHIT!!! (http://www.democraticunderground.com/1002401222)

Thu Mar 8, 2012, 02:10 PM

hifiguy

A heartbreaking scene at lunch

Here in the Twin Cities we have "skyways" - second story connectors between the buildings downtown that permit us Minnesotans to get around without going outdoors in the cold weather.

I headed out of my building, going to pick up something to eat, and in the skyway between my office and the next block was a woman I guessed to be in her mid-late 30s. She was clean, dressed in a winter jacket and dark slacks. She held a neatly printed sign that said

Husband died
Three kids to support
Anything will help.

I walked about half a block past her with a growing sadness. I turned around, went back to her and pressed a five-dollar bill in her palm and said "Good luck." I was beginning to get teary. She looked at me with an expression of abject gratefulness and said "thank you."

I am financially a bit strapped myself these days with a move impending at the edge of the month, but there was no way I could in good conscience deny her what I could give. Smaller lunches for a couple of days won't hurt me in the least. But maybe her kids will have something decent to eat tonight. At least I hope so.

Why do they come up with these horseshit tales of woe all the time???:bounce2:

NJCardFan
03-08-2012, 03:31 PM
$5? Seriously? Wow. They'd have been better off to ignore this person. Of course the point of the thread is that the government should step in and help this family. If this person really cared they would have referred this woman to the Salvation Army or something. That said, there is the possibility that this woman in need is your classic panhandler. If this is the case, then she was probably making more money begging than the OP makes working. And that's tax free money.

AmPat
03-08-2012, 03:42 PM

You'd think that at some time, their atrophied brains would fire a couple of electrons across working synapses that would link this economy with their god, O Blah Blah the Magnificent.

Apocalypse
03-08-2012, 04:12 PM
I've seen similar signs held by beggars in the large cities before. They are almost always BS. Last year in Indy, one of the more popular one's held by the women beggars were "Pregnant, unemployed and homeless" They all carry a cup with a few coins in it, but no dollars. Yet I stood there and watched as dollars were put in the cup, only to be quickly put into their pockets after the doner walked past. They are nothing more then cons. They know where to hang out, how to act, and what to say. And that money usually is used to feed a drug or alcohol problem.

So the little bounce above shows nothing more then an idiot who fell for another sob story.

Dan D. Doty
03-08-2012, 04:34 PM
The kids didn't get social security benifits?

There is no Section 8 housing in the Twin Cities?

Its a con job, notice that the kids weren't there.

Ten to one says the woman was going to spend the money on drugs , or booze.

Apache
03-08-2012, 04:34 PM
I've seen similar signs held by beggars in the large cities before. They are almost always BS. Last year in Indy, one of the more popular one's held by the women beggars were "Pregnant, unemployed and homeless" They all carry a cup with a few coins in it, but no dollars. Yet I stood there and watched as dollars were put in the cup, only to be quickly put into their pockets after the doner walked past. They are nothing more then cons. They know where to hang out, how to act, and what to say. And that money usually is used to feed a drug or alcohol problem.

So the little bounce above shows nothing more then an idiot who fell for another sob story.

:Sign:

AmPat
03-09-2012, 09:53 AM
We have the homeless here in large numbers. They have a favorite corner that I pass frequently that is clearly posted with anti-panhandler signs, but the signs apparently only apply to the literate. They hold up pathetic tales of woe designed to trigger your hand-pocket reflex. Surprisingly, most are "Veterans" down on their luck or have children to feed. They spend hours at this and often tag out to be relieved of their arduous task by another equally hungry Vet or mother trying to feed her chidrens.

Have they given up the gas station tactic where they approach you with "their mother died and they ran out of gas trying to get home, could you spare, blah, blah???" I haven't been assaulted with that one for a couple of years now.

fettpett
03-09-2012, 10:22 AM
we got a guy that comes into work (I started working part-time at Taco Bell as a shift lead) that begs for a couple of bucks for food from employees. Sometimes he does some work, but most of the time he gets the money either from the girls or from picking up bottles to return for the deposit. Personally I want to kick the girls and tell them all they are doing is empowering his "lifestyle".

Odysseus
03-09-2012, 10:52 AM
We have the homeless here in large numbers. They have a favorite corner that I pass frequently that is clearly posted with anti-panhandler signs, but the signs apparently only apply to the literate. They hold up pathetic tales of woe designed to trigger your hand-pocket reflex. Surprisingly, most are "Veterans" down on their luck or have children to feed. They spend hours at this and often tag out to be relieved of their arduous task by another equally hungry Vet or mother trying to feed her chidrens.

Have they given up the gas station tactic where they approach you with "their mother died and they ran out of gas trying to get home, could you spare, blah, blah???" I haven't been assaulted with that one for a couple of years now.

I still get that one once in a while. For the so-called veterans, just ask them what their MOS was. In literally decades of being hassled by panhandlers claiming to be vets, I've had a grand total of three who actually knew what an MOS was.

Bailey
03-09-2012, 11:10 AM
I hate the bums that hang out at the off ramps of major highways, you dont want to make eye contact while you are waiting for the light to turn green.

NJCardFan
03-09-2012, 12:23 PM

When I lived in Arizona, pretty much at every intersection there was a panhandler. Think about it. 115 degrees and these people are sitting out there with signs ranging from "Will work for food" to "need money for vacation"(I'm not making this one up) to "Why lie, I need a beer"(not making this one up either). Why? Because they make a ton of money doing this. And not all of them are druggies. Some do this for a living and live better than most of us do.

I got hit with this one the other day. I get a kick out of it because all I do is pull out my wallet, which has my badge in it, and I make sure they see it as I root for money I don't have(I don't carry bills in my wallet). They usually just walk away.

noonwitch
03-09-2012, 12:39 PM
Detroit has a funnier sign:

There is this park on the 8 Mile RD/I-75 service drive that it seems the local crackheads clean up and keep neat for the kids-I know, it's not what you expect from them. There is a hand-painted sign over the gate that says "Save Detroit-Adopt a Crackhead".

At least it's somewhat honest.

Eupher
03-09-2012, 12:51 PM
Detroit has a funnier sign:

There is this park on the 8 Mile RD/I-75 service drive that it seems the local crackheads clean up and keep neat for the kids-I know, it's not what you expect from them. There is a hand-painted sign over the gate that says "Save Detroit-Adopt a Crackhead".

At least it's somewhat honest.

On my way to work in Ferndale from Garden City, I'd exit off the Southfield Expressway onto 8 Mile Rd. and right there at the corner there was a guy who made a career hanging out there. All kinds of signs, different stories.

My favorite was the one right about Christmas when he lamented he was unemployed (no shit, Sherlock), broke (really?), that he had cancer (the kind you die from?), and that he was trying to scrape up enough to get his kids up from Tennessee (how many kids and what are their ages?).

He must have done well there, but I never saw anybody contribute to his happy little campaign.

ABC in Georgia
03-09-2012, 01:48 PM
I got hit with this one the other day. I get a kick out of it because all I do is pull out my wallet, which has my badge in it, and I make sure they see it as I root for money I don't have(I don't carry bills in my wallet). They usually just walk away.

Have read thread to the very end ... and this is the best one yet!!!

Where can "I" get one? :biggrin-new:

~ ABC

TVDOC
03-09-2012, 02:08 PM
On my way to work in Ferndale from Garden City, I'd exit off the Southfield Expressway onto 8 Mile Rd. and right there at the corner there was a guy who made a career hanging out there. All kinds of signs, different stories.

My favorite was the one right about Christmas when he lamented he was unemployed (no shit, Sherlock), broke (really?), that he had cancer (the kind you die from?), and that he was trying to scrape up enough to get his kids up from Tennessee (how many kids and what are their ages?).

He must have done well there, but I never saw anybody contribute to his happy little campaign.

We lived in NY when Guiliani was Mayor, and during his first term, he had the NYPD do ID checks on all the panhandlers that they could find, then ran the results through the NY income tax database......surprisingly about 80% of them actually filed and reported their income, and the average income reported was............$55,000.

doc

jediab
03-09-2012, 02:20 PM

I work in DT Minneapolis, so yes there are a few beggers here and there. I am guessing the story might be true. The problem is, most of the downtrodden are professional beggers.

They will put in a "shift" and then go home. Panhandling is their job. It's the same story. I have kids, I need bus fair, I need something to eat. They say and do these things while standing outside many of the places to eat that have Help Wanted signs up.

Minnesota has one of the most generous (with other people's money) social programs in the country. People from Chicago come here for freebees. There isn't any way anyone should be without if they look for it. Hell the government center where that DUmmie story woman could get most of the help she needed was just blocks away. The DUmbass who gave out $5 fell for the ploy that is used day in and day out.

noonwitch
03-09-2012, 02:35 PM

8 Mile and Southfield is where some of the most pathetic-looking junkies I've ever seen panhandle. 8 Mile RD-when I retire from Children's Services, I plan to find a job working at a ministry that reaches out to the junkies and prostitutes on 8 Mile RD. I just think it would be really fun to do a Beth Moore Bible study with streetwalkers.

AmPat
03-09-2012, 03:28 PM
I hate the bums that hang out at the off ramps of major highways, you dont want to make eye contact while you are waiting for the light to turn green.
I deliberately look at them. Something about the way I look seems to discourage them from approaching me.

Apocalypse
03-09-2012, 03:29 PM

I had a some what similar one a few years ago in Milwaukee. Guy was asking for $ for a cab ride to the hospital where his terminally ill mother was. He knew I was from out of town due to my plate. But I knew the hospital was 2 blocks north.

Lanie
03-09-2012, 04:45 PM

Really Sara? I see people like this all the time in Greensboro. Is it really hard to believe somebody might want to help?

AmPat
03-09-2012, 05:08 PM
Really Sara? I see people like this all the time in Greensboro. Is it really hard to believe somebody might want to help?
Send me your money and I'll be sure to pass it along to those poor panhandlers. I'll send you a newsletter in exchange showing how much your donation helped dramatically change their lives.:rolleyes:

JB
03-09-2012, 07:55 PM
So a DUmmy that doesn't give to charity or do charitable works gave someone $5 bucks? Fuck you.