PDA

View Full Version : U.N. to Condemn Israel Over Treatment of Women, Ignore Syria

Rockntractor
03-08-2012, 07:02 PM
4:42 PM, Mar 8, 2012 • By DANIEL HALPER
The United Nations Commission on the Status of Women “is expected to pass a resolution condemning Israel's part in the degrading of living conditions for Palestinian women, while failing to mention the mistreatment of women in the ongoing crisis in Syria,” Haaretz reports.

[T] the panel is expected to also an eight-clause resolution, determining that the "Israeli occupation" in territories, including East Jerusalem, is the main obstacle for the advancement of the Palestinian woman.

The panel, which includes representatives from 45 countries, including Israel, is considered to be one of the UN's most active and respected bodies.

Responding to the decision to condemn Israel, Israeli envoy to the UN Ron Prosor told Haaretz that the "council's bring levels of absurdity and cynicism to new heights."

But in fact this seems to be becoming an annual event. Last year, a similar resolution was adopted: “[The] U.N. policy-making body dedicated to ‘gender equality and the advancement of women’ adopted a resolution accusing Israel of holding back the advancement of Palestinian women, but it took no action on the emergency in Libya or the legally enshrined discrimination faced by women in Iran. The only country-specific resolution passed by the Commission on the Status of Women (CSW) at its recent session in New York was one condemning Israel over the Palestinian issue.”

There are no reported plans for the U.N. committee to condemn Syria

http://www.weeklystandard.com/blogs/un-condemn-israel-over-treatment-women-ignore-syria_633341.html

FlaGator
03-08-2012, 07:55 PM
I know I'm going out on a limb here but perhaps Islam is the main stumbling block for Palestinian women?

Lanie
03-10-2012, 09:57 AM
Perhaps Israel should be condemned. They did after all allow the Palestinian women to go under the Palestinian Authority. Why no condemnations for them?

Odysseus
03-10-2012, 04:02 PM
Perhaps Israel should be condemned. They did after all allow the Palestinian women to go under the Palestinian Authority. Why no condemnations for them?

Because the UN doesn't care a whit about the status of women. Here's the current list of member states of the commission, plus a few observations of mine in blue:

Argentina 2014
Bangladesh 2014 Islamic state. High incidence of honor killings under Sharia law.
Belarus 2013 Last communist state in Europe.
Belgium 2015
Central African Republic 2014
China 2012 Lots of drowned baby girls, thanks to their One-Child policy.
Colombia 2013
Comoros 2014
Cuba 2012 Totalitarian hellhole that never met an oppressive state that it didn't like.
Democratic Republic of the Congo 2015
Dominican Republic 2012
El Salvador 2014
Eritrea 2012 Breakaway province of Ethiopia. Not exactly a human rights bastion.
Estonia 2015
Gambia 2014
Georgia 2015
Germany 2013 Germans attacking Jews. Shocking. :rolleyes:
Guinea 2013
Haiti 2012 You't think that a country that's this screwed up would have better things to worry about than the Palestinians.
India 2012 They've come a long way since they used to burn widows on their husbands' funeral pyres.
Iran (Islamic Republic of) 2015 Really? I guess stoning women for letting their head coverings slip, raping female prisoners before execution and imposing the full gamut of Sharia must advance the status of women in a way that I just cannot understand. :rolleyes:
Iraq 2013 Nothing advances the status of women like suicide bombings and Sharia. :rolleyes:
Israel 2013 Being on this commission must be like being invited to a birthday party as the pinata.
Italy 2013
Jamaica 2015 Whatever, mon.
Japan 2013 The nation that brought us the term "comfort women" sits in judgment. :rolleyes:
Liberia 2015 Another tribal backwater where women are routinely treated like livestock.
Libya 2014 Is there even a government there?
Malaysia 2014 Another Sharia state, with a virulently antisemitic PM.
Mauritania 2013
Mongolia 2014
Netherlands 2015 Geert Wilders has his work cut out for him.
Nicaragua 2013
Philippines 2014 How about looking at the treatment that Filipinas receive when they work in Arab states?
Republic of Korea 2014
Russian Federation 2012 Another bastion of feminine liberation. Mail-order brides, anyone? No? How about trafficked women for all sorts of other illicit purposes?
Rwanda 2013 Seriously? I guess that women are equally represented in the tribal genocide there.
Senegal 2012
Spain 2015
Swaziland 2014
Sweden 2012 Currently suffering an epidemic of rape. Perhaps they should focus on protecting their own women from their Muslim immigrants.
Thailand 2015 The number one destination for sexual tourists and a major human trafficking nation.
United States of America 2012 Well, somebody's got to pay for this circus.
Uruguay 2014
Zimbabwe 2015 Currently as lawless and vile a state as exists on Earth.

I guess that we're lucky that the Saudis aren't on the list. But what in the name of sanity is Iran doing on a commission about women's rights? That's like electing a Nazi to the Knesset. The vast majority of these countries have no business judging anyone else on anything. The US needs to kick the UN out of Turtle Bay and cut off funding.

Articulate_Ape
03-10-2012, 05:52 PM
http://i531.photobucket.com/albums/dd359/JamesSavant/SCREWUN.jpg

noonwitch
03-12-2012, 12:25 PM
Under Israeli law, women have rights and have had rights since the nation was founded in 1948. The Palestineans are the ones denying women rights, and this is one of the many reasons I oppose a 2 state solution to the problems between Israel and the Palestineans. (The other reason is that Israel doesn't need another enemy state on it's border).

The only hope Palestinean women have to improve their lot in life is to reject the PA and embrace Israeli law-they can keep their religion, if they must, but accepting a secular legal authority would improve their situation and that of their children.