PDA

View Full Version : Massachusetts Liberal, Flip-Flop Romney, Did NOT Even Make A Speech Tonight

mike128
03-14-2012, 04:41 AM
Congratulations to the Honorable Rick Santorum for winning both Mississippi & Alabama. But where was Flip Romney tonight?? Where was his speech??

Seems like he was a "sore loser". Oh well. I guess the "establishment" "moderate" candidate isn't THAT inevitable after all.

Bailey
03-14-2012, 06:27 AM
http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b10/lars1701c/2s8lova.jpg

Odysseus
03-14-2012, 07:15 AM
Congratulations to the Honorable Rick Santorum for winning both Mississippi & Alabama. But where was Flip Romney tonight?? Where was his speech??

Seems like he was a "sore loser". Oh well. I guess the "establishment" "moderate" candidate isn't THAT inevitable after all.

You know, if a tool like you is this obsessed with Romney, he might be worth supporting after all. Congratulations, imbecile, I'm supporting Romney now. Thanks to you.

Bailey
03-14-2012, 07:26 AM
You know, if a tool like you is this obsessed with Romney, he might be worth supporting after all. Congratulations, imbecile, I'm supporting Romney now. Thanks to you.

Ody he is a troll at best or a DU plant at worst but I hope is Mitt gets the nod he wins the elections and then we could watch Mikes head esplode.

Apocalypse
03-14-2012, 08:50 AM
Can we get one of the Mods to combine all of Mike's "I hate Romney"'s post together into one thread. Should reduce the forums by half.

Odysseus
03-14-2012, 09:46 AM
Ody he is a troll at best or a DU plant at worst but I hope is Mitt gets the nod he wins the elections and then we could watch Mikes head esplode.

Here's the thing. While Santorum has some obvious strengths, he also has some glaring weaknesses. For one thing, his last run for office was a loss in his home state. If he couldn't deliver Pennsylvania as a senator, what chance does he have as a presidential nominee? Also, while I agree with most of his positions, I don't recall that he had any major legislative accomplishments. Unlike Newt, who really did orchestrate the Republican house win in 1992 and then drafted the budgets that followed (which, BTW, were why they ran within revenues during Clinton's terms), Santorum wasn't a huge player. He chaired the welfare reform task force, but the heavy lifting for that originated in the house. He also supported Arlen Specter's aborted run for president and voted against allowing employers to hire replacement workers during strikes. He's socially conservative, but he's also got a pro-union streak and a blind spot for the worst RINO that the party ever produced. He's a good guy, but is that enough? Does he know the process well enough to manage the upcoming financial crises that Obama has precipitated? Can he stand up to the bureaucracy or will he go along on issues that aren't critical to him?

This is why Gingrich is my first choice among those remaining. But, Romney brings some critical strengths to the fight, and we need to look at them dispassionately. First, his experience at Bain Capital and with the Winter Olympics demonstrates that he can take failing enterprises and turn them around. Bain took failing (but viable) companies and, through a mixture of restructuring, cutting and infusions of capital, turned them around. He did the same thing with the Salt Lake City Olympics. He brings a critical skillset to the government, the ability to see what's wrong and fix it. My concern is that, because he is ideologically suspect, he will not make the kind of sweeping cuts that are needed, but will simply try to be too clever and tinker around the edges of the federal leviathan, which is exactly what we don't need. Our critical task now is to shape the environment by making Romney understand what his party and nation need him to do. Conservative leaders have to persuade him, reason with him and appeal to his rational businessman side.

BTW, Mikey128, that's what we call analysis. Ranting and raving won't accomplish anything. That's what DU is for. Now go away and don't come back until you've done some growing up.

Adam Wood
03-14-2012, 10:00 AM
http://i41.tinypic.com/jf8ebt.gifFixed.

Starbuck
03-14-2012, 10:24 AM
Actually, the "We Won" speech was a little out of place. Santorum only won 31 out of 90 delegates yesterday. And Romney? There was nothing to concede:

Santorum wins in Mississippi, Alabama, but Romney’s lead in delegates grows by 6
Despite narrow primary wins in Alabama and Mississippi, Rick Santorum (Pa.) has fallen further behind in the delegate count to front-runner Mitt Romney, who won caucuses in Hawaii and American Samoa and captured about 30 percent of the vote in the two Southern states.

Because delegates are awarded proportionally in both Alabama and Mississippi, Romney won 23 delegates in those two states, compared to 31 for Santorum and 24 for former House Speaker Newt Gingrich (Georgia), according to the most recent projections by the Associated Press. But Romney captured 14 more delegates than Santorum in Hawaii and American Samoa for a net gain of six delegates.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/santorum-wins-in-mississippi-alabama/2012/03/13/gIQATN5SBS_story.html

AmPat
03-14-2012, 11:07 AM
Maybe Romney was leading by example and demonstration to that Marxist Narcissist In Chief that you don't have to sprint from microphone to microphone to drone on over nothing.

wwworkingguy
03-14-2012, 11:25 AM
Ultra conservative idealogs would rather hand the re-election to Obama than elect the most conservative person who can actually win.
Either Santorum or Gingrich will lose against the Rat-in-Chief.
Personally, I do not like the character of either Gingrich or Santorum .... that's why I back Romney and he is our best chance.

BTW, very good move for Romney not to have a speech after these loses. Best to move on right now rather to languish in defeat and open yourself to an unatractive drilling by the press. Smart man.
Go MItt!

AmPat
03-14-2012, 11:28 AM
Ultra conservative idealogs would rather hand the re-election to Obama than elect the most conservative person who can actually win.
Either Santorum or Gingrich will lose against the Rat-in-Chief.
Aside for the fact that I do not like the character of either Gingrich or Santorum .... that's why I back Romney. He is our best chance.
I'd like to know what Character traits you dislike about Santorum. Gingrich I can guess, although he has apparently changed since last on the scene. Santorum looks squeeky clean, especially since the leftist attack dogs have yet to dig up or make up any dirt on him.

wwworkingguy
03-14-2012, 11:33 AM
I'd like to know what Character traits you dislike about Santorum. Gingrich I can guess, although he has apparently changed since last on the scene. Santorum looks squeeky clean, especially since the leftist attack dogs have yet to dig up or make up any dirt on him.

Gingrich is more reprehensible to me. He is arrogant, vindictive, selfish and petty. He also has way too much baggage that can be drug up.

There's just something about Santorum's persona that that shouts loser to me.
I also remember when he backed Arlen Specter and I cannot forgive him for that.
Specter is the reason we have ObamaCare.

AmPat
03-14-2012, 11:54 AM
Gingrich is more reprehensible to me. He is arrogant, vindictive, selfish and petty. He also has way too much baggage that can be drug up.

The lis of those that supported Specturd is long and distinquished. To use that against him now while ignoring the circumstances present at the time is not useful for today. George Bush also supported Specturd and I'd support him today over Romney, even in light of his last disasterous term.

wwworkingguy
03-14-2012, 12:00 PM
The lis of those that supported Specturd is long and distinquished. To use that against him now while ignoring the circumstances present at the time is not useful for today. George Bush also supported Specturd and I'd support him today over Romney, even in light of his last disasterous term.

That being said..... I think that many or all who supported Specter will admit is was a horrible error.

It still does not change my thoughts about Santorum. I don't like people who get preachy and concentrate and harp too much on religious values.
You will find that it may play well in the South but we have got to win an National election.

AmPat
03-14-2012, 12:23 PM
That being said..... I think that many or all who supported Specter will admit is was a horrible error.

It still does not change my thoughts about Santorum. I don't like people who get preachy and concentrate and harp too much on religious values.
You will find that it may play well in the South but we have got to win an National election.

Santorum himself fits that discription. He regrets supporting Specturd. He isn't the one bringing up religion either. You are falling for the leftist media BS. THEY, the left, are the ones bringing up religious minutia. Santorum usually tries to steer the retards back onto real issues. The media then duly reports the anciallary religious or other social issues that don't matter.

Don't fall for it, it is another liberal strategy to select our candidate.

Zathras
03-14-2012, 12:36 PM

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v602/HeroesAtWork/deadhorse.jpg

Eupher
03-14-2012, 12:50 PM
Here's the thing. snipped for brevity.

This is why Gingrich is my first choice among those remaining. But, Romney brings some critical strengths to the fight, and we need to look at them dispassionately. First, his experience at Bain Capital and with the Winter Olympics demonstrates that he can take failing enterprises and turn them around. Bain took failing (but viable) companies and, through a mixture of restructuring, cutting and infusions of capital, turned them around. He did the same thing with the Salt Lake City Olympics. He brings a critical skillset to the government, the ability to see what's wrong and fix it. My concern is that, because he is ideologically suspect, he will not make the kind of sweeping cuts that are needed, but will simply try to be too clever and tinker around the edges of the federal leviathan, which is exactly what we don't need. Our critical task now is to shape the environment by making Romney understand what his party and nation need him to do. Conservative leaders have to persuade him, reason with him and appeal to his rational businessman side.

BTW, Mikey128, that's what we call analysis. Ranting and raving won't accomplish anything. That's what DU is for. Now go away and don't come back until you've done some growing up.

Sorry, Ody, but I lived in Salt Lake City during the so-called "failed" Olympics.

There was nothing failed about it except that the president and the VP of the Salt Lake Olympic Committee got caught doing what every other Olympic Committee in every country on the planet has done when they want to host the Olympics -- they provided "gifts" to the IOC.

DOJ actually brought charges against these two guys (Welch and Johnson) -- and were acquitted later.

Bullshit, in a word. A bunch of people got the duffs fluffed and these two guys were pariahed, made into evil twins, and otherwise took the fall for something that we Americans utterly fail to accept -- that bribery and palm-greasing is an accepted practice in most of the rest of the world, but it's not something we can engage in.

But back to the point -

Here comes the saving grace, the Hero of Hildale and the President of Putrefaction (that's what I think of when I look at Romney, who doesn't go to the barber for a haircut -- he goes for an oil change).

Fact is, Romney waltzed onto the scene at the 11th hour, 59th minute when all the heavy lifting had been done, all the transportation issues had been resolved, all the infrastructure had been built, or was ahead of schedule. I-15 was a dream to drive and I-215 that rings part of the city was also ticking over very well. Transportation up to the venues in the Wasatch was also fairly well nailed down and virtually most details were done or nearly so.

And yet to hear the backlash from those two poor bastards who had the temerity of doing what ALL of them do, you'd think that they each strapped on a couple of AK's and went through five grade schools killing everybody they saw.

Mitt Romney didn't save anything. All he did was walk into a well-managed situation and take credit for shit he didn't do.

Classic politician -- then the fucktard decided that taking credit for that wasn't enough and that he had to totter off back to Massachusetts where he could get his ticket punched one more time by becoming governor of the Bay State in his inevitable march to the RNC nomination for president -- at which he's been working for the past 4.5 years.

While I'm not nearly as negatively vocal as Mike128 is about Mitt Romney, I've seen that slickster operate up close and personal. I wouldn't piss on him if he were on fire, but if he winds up being the RNC nominee [shudder], I'll have to hold my nose and pull the handle for him.

Eupher
03-14-2012, 12:58 PM

I think this summarizes the dilemma that many conservatives face. Professional politicians, despite their efforts to the contrary, have their individual styles and voting records. And each of them stinks like shit when the wind is just right.

Not one of the current crop of candidates has the complete, unbridled support of the party -- unlike what happened when Barry managed to finally finish off Hillary for the DNC nomination in '08.

Odysseus
03-14-2012, 01:53 PM
Sorry, Ody, but I lived in Salt Lake City during the so-called "failed" Olympics.

There was nothing failed about it except that the president and the VP of the Salt Lake Olympic Committee got caught doing what every other Olympic Committee in every country on the planet has done when they want to host the Olympics -- they provided "gifts" to the IOC.

DOJ actually brought charges against these two guys (Welch and Johnson) -- and were acquitted later.

Bullshit, in a word. A bunch of people got the duffs fluffed and these two guys were pariahed, made into evil twins, and otherwise took the fall for something that we Americans utterly fail to accept -- that bribery and palm-greasing is an accepted practice in most of the rest of the world, but it's not something we can engage in.

But back to the point -

Here comes the saving grace, the Hero of Hildale and the President of Putrefaction (that's what I think of when I look at Romney, who doesn't go to the barber for a haircut -- he goes for an oil change).

Fact is, Romney waltzed onto the scene at the 11th hour, 59th minute when all the heavy lifting had been done, all the transportation issues had been resolved, all the infrastructure had been built, or was ahead of schedule. I-15 was a dream to drive and I-215 that rings part of the city was also ticking over very well. Transportation up to the venues in the Wasatch was also fairly well nailed down and virtually most details were done or nearly so.

And yet to hear the backlash from those two poor bastards who had the temerity of doing what ALL of them do, you'd think that they each strapped on a couple of AK's and went through five grade schools killing everybody they saw.

Mitt Romney didn't save anything. All he did was walk into a well-managed situation and take credit for shit he didn't do.

Classic politician -- then the fucktard decided that taking credit for that wasn't enough and that he had to totter off back to Massachusetts where he could get his ticket punched one more time by becoming governor of the Bay State in his inevitable march to the RNC nomination for president -- at which he's been working for the past 4.5 years.

While I'm not nearly as negatively vocal as Mike128 is about Mitt Romney, I've seen that slickster operate up close and personal. I wouldn't piss on him if he were on fire, but if he winds up being the RNC nominee [shudder], I'll have to hold my nose and pull the handle for him.

I'm not big on bribery. The fact that the IOC is a corrupt cesspool doesn't mean that we have to play along with it. Better not to have the damned thing than to become like them. But, once we had it, we needed to run it, and the resignations and chaos threatened the entire enterprise.

And, you are leaving out a salient fact, that the Olympics were $379 million short of their operating budget when Welch and Johnson resigned as heads of the SLOC, and many of their subordinates also jumped ship. Romney raised the funds, closed the shortfall and ran the committee with reduced staff. Wikipedia's summary follows:

On February 11, 1999, Romney was hired as the president and CEO of the Salt Lake Organizing Committee for the Olympic and Paralympic Winter Games of 2002 (http://www.conservativeunderground.com/wiki/Salt_Lake_Organizing_Committee_for_the_Olympic_and _Paralympic_Winter_Games_of_2002).[104] (http://www.conservativeunderground.com/forum505/#cite_note-Fire_Within-111) Before Romney came on, the event was running $379 million short of its revenue benchmarks.[104] (http://www.conservativeunderground.com/forum505/#cite_note-Fire_Within-111) Plans were being made to scale back the games to compensate for the fiscal crisis and there were fears the games might be moved away entirely.[105] (http://www.conservativeunderground.com/forum505/#cite_note-112) The Games had also been damaged by allegations of bribery involving top officials (http://www.conservativeunderground.com/wiki/2002_Winter_Olympic_bid_scandal), including prior Salt Lake Olympic Committee president and CEO Frank Joklik. Joklik and committee vice president Dave Johnson were forced to resign.[106] (http://www.conservativeunderground.com/forum505/#cite_note-113) Romney's appointment faced some initial criticism from non-Mormons, and fears from Mormons, that it represented cronyism or gave the games too Mormon an image.[31] (http://www.conservativeunderground.com/forum505/#cite_note-nykr2002-34)
Romney revamped the organization's leadership and policies, reduced budgets, and boosted fund raising. He soothed worried corporate sponsors and recruited many new ones.[101] (http://www.conservativeunderground.com/forum505/#cite_note-nyt-olympics-edge-108)[107] (http://www.conservativeunderground.com/forum505/#cite_note-bgseries5-114) He admitted past problems, listened to local critics, and rallied Utah's citizenry with a sense of optimism.[101] (http://www.conservativeunderground.com/forum505/#cite_note-nyt-olympics-edge-108) Romney worked to ensure the safety of the Games following the September 11, 2001 terrorist attacks (http://www.conservativeunderground.com/wiki/September_11,_2001_terrorist_attacks) by ignoring those who suggested the games be called off and coordinating a $300 million security budget.[103] (http://www.conservativeunderground.com/forum505/#cite_note-nyt-olympics-man-110)[108] (http://www.conservativeunderground.com/forum505/#cite_note-115) Overall he oversaw a $1.32 billion budget, 700 employees, and 26,000 volunteers.[104] (http://www.conservativeunderground.com/forum505/#cite_note-Fire_Within-111) The federal government provided $382 million of that budget,[107] (http://www.conservativeunderground.com/forum505/#cite_note-bgseries5-114) much of it because Romney successfully lobbied Congress to provide money for both security- and non-security-related items.[109] (http://www.conservativeunderground.com/forum505/#cite_note-ap-hunt-116) An additional federal $1.1 billion was spent on indirect support in the form of highway and transit projects.[109] (http://www.conservativeunderground.com/forum505/#cite_note-ap-hunt-116)
Romney became the public face of the Olympic effort, appearing in countless photographs and news stories and even on Olympics souvenir pins.[101] (http://www.conservativeunderground.com/forum505/#cite_note-nyt-olympics-edge-108) Romney's omnipresence irked those who thought he was taking too much of the credit for the success, or had exaggerated the state of initial distress, or was primarily looking to improve his own image.[101] (http://www.conservativeunderground.com/forum505/#cite_note-nyt-olympics-edge-108)[107] (http://www.conservativeunderground.com/forum505/#cite_note-bgseries5-114)
Despite the initial fiscal shortfall, the Games ended up clearing a profit of $100 million,[110] (http://www.conservativeunderground.com/forum505/#cite_note-117) not counting the $224.5 million in security costs contributed by outside sources.[111] (http://www.conservativeunderground.com/forum505/#cite_note-118) Romney broke the record for most private money raised by any individual for an Olympics games, summer or winter.[103] (http://www.conservativeunderground.com/forum505/#cite_note-nyt-olympics-man-110) His performance as Olympics head was rated positively by 87 percent of Utahns.[112] (http://www.conservativeunderground.com/forum505/#cite_note-aap04-772-119) Romney and his wife contributed $1 million to the Olympics, and he donated to charity the $1.4 million in salary and severance payments he received for his three years as president and CEO.[113] (http://www.conservativeunderground.com/forum505/#cite_note-bg-olympic-ties-120)

No matter how you spin it, that's a terrific accomplishment. Give credit where it is due.

Eupher
03-14-2012, 02:45 PM
I'm not big on bribery. The fact that the IOC is a corrupt cesspool doesn't mean that we have to play along with it. Better not to have the damned thing than to become like them. But, once we had it, we needed to run it, and the resignations and chaos threatened the entire enterprise.

And, you are leaving out a salient fact, that the Olympics were $379 million short of their operating budget when Welch and Johnson resigned as heads of the SLOC, and many of their subordinates also jumped ship. Romney raised the funds, closed the shortfall and ran the committee with reduced staff. Wikipedia's summary follows:

On February 11, 1999, Romney was hired as the president and CEO of the Salt Lake Organizing Committee for the Olympic and Paralympic Winter Games of 2002 (http://www.conservativeunderground.com/wiki/Salt_Lake_Organizing_Committee_for_the_Olympic_and _Paralympic_Winter_Games_of_2002).[104] (http://www.conservativeunderground.com/forum505/#cite_note-Fire_Within-111) Before Romney came on, the event was running $379 million short of its revenue benchmarks.[104] (http://www.conservativeunderground.com/forum505/#cite_note-Fire_Within-111) Plans were being made to scale back the games to compensate for the fiscal crisis and there were fears the games might be moved away entirely.[105] (http://www.conservativeunderground.com/forum505/#cite_note-112) The Games had also been damaged by allegations of bribery involving top officials (http://www.conservativeunderground.com/wiki/2002_Winter_Olympic_bid_scandal), including prior Salt Lake Olympic Committee president and CEO Frank Joklik. Joklik and committee vice president Dave Johnson were forced to resign.[106] (http://www.conservativeunderground.com/forum505/#cite_note-113) Romney's appointment faced some initial criticism from non-Mormons, and fears from Mormons, that it represented cronyism or gave the games too Mormon an image.[31] (http://www.conservativeunderground.com/forum505/#cite_note-nykr2002-34)
Romney revamped the organization's leadership and policies, reduced budgets, and boosted fund raising. He soothed worried corporate sponsors and recruited many new ones.[101] (http://www.conservativeunderground.com/forum505/#cite_note-nyt-olympics-edge-108)[107] (http://www.conservativeunderground.com/forum505/#cite_note-bgseries5-114) He admitted past problems, listened to local critics, and rallied Utah's citizenry with a sense of optimism.[101] (http://www.conservativeunderground.com/forum505/#cite_note-nyt-olympics-edge-108) Romney worked to ensure the safety of the Games following the September 11, 2001 terrorist attacks (http://www.conservativeunderground.com/wiki/September_11,_2001_terrorist_attacks) by ignoring those who suggested the games be called off and coordinating a $300 million security budget.[103] (http://www.conservativeunderground.com/forum505/#cite_note-nyt-olympics-man-110)[108] (http://www.conservativeunderground.com/forum505/#cite_note-115) Overall he oversaw a $1.32 billion budget, 700 employees, and 26,000 volunteers.[104] (http://www.conservativeunderground.com/forum505/#cite_note-Fire_Within-111) The federal government provided $382 million of that budget,[107] (http://www.conservativeunderground.com/forum505/#cite_note-bgseries5-114) much of it because Romney successfully lobbied Congress to provide money for both security- and non-security-related items.[109] (http://www.conservativeunderground.com/forum505/#cite_note-ap-hunt-116) An additional federal $1.1 billion was spent on indirect support in the form of highway and transit projects.[109] (http://www.conservativeunderground.com/forum505/#cite_note-ap-hunt-116)
Romney became the public face of the Olympic effort, appearing in countless photographs and news stories and even on Olympics souvenir pins.[101] (http://www.conservativeunderground.com/forum505/#cite_note-nyt-olympics-edge-108) Romney's omnipresence irked those who thought he was taking too much of the credit for the success, or had exaggerated the state of initial distress, or was primarily looking to improve his own image.[101] (http://www.conservativeunderground.com/forum505/#cite_note-nyt-olympics-edge-108)[107] (http://www.conservativeunderground.com/forum505/#cite_note-bgseries5-114)
Despite the initial fiscal shortfall, the Games ended up clearing a profit of $100 million,[110] (http://www.conservativeunderground.com/forum505/#cite_note-117) not counting the $224.5 million in security costs contributed by outside sources.[111] (http://www.conservativeunderground.com/forum505/#cite_note-118) Romney broke the record for most private money raised by any individual for an Olympics games, summer or winter.[103] (http://www.conservativeunderground.com/forum505/#cite_note-nyt-olympics-man-110) His performance as Olympics head was rated positively by 87 percent of Utahns.[112] (http://www.conservativeunderground.com/forum505/#cite_note-aap04-772-119) Romney and his wife contributed $1 million to the Olympics, and he donated to charity the $1.4 million in salary and severance payments he received for his three years as president and CEO.[113] (http://www.conservativeunderground.com/forum505/#cite_note-bg-olympic-ties-120)

No matter how you spin it, that's a terrific accomplishment. Give credit where it is due.

yeah, I read the Wiki article too, and despite the naysaying and the $379M (which is chump change at that level), let's keep in mind this article is a Wikipedia article -- meaning, of course, I take the article's "facts" with grains of salt.

I guess I was one of the 13% of Utahns that saw Romney for what he was -- a Mormon brought in to "fix" a Mormon non-problem. But then again, I'm not a Mormon. Go figure.

Most of the hand-wringing and woe-is-us crap was induced by the media -- which, of course, played handily into Romney's overall game plan which is what we're seeing today.

You bet -- I'll give credit where credit is due: Romney's ambitious. But then, so was Jimmy Hart, the "Mouth of the South" and just about as trustworthy.

JB
03-14-2012, 03:30 PM
Oh well. I guess the "establishment" "moderate" candidate isn't THAT inevitable after all.Yeah, he is. Analyze the race, do the math and see where it comes out.

NJCardFan
03-14-2012, 03:34 PM
On Santorum's failed re-election bid, to be honest, he fell victim to the economic fallout when the media fell all over themselves running with the "blame Republicans" meme. Casey was an Obama dog washer but has since changed his tune. Don't know how that's going to sit with voters, however, PA is a pretty blue state so any Republican winning is tough.

MountainMan
03-14-2012, 05:29 PM
Oh goody, mikeytodykey it at it again. Oh well, I'm waiting on pins and needles when mikey heads off to DU after the election claiming he converted us all to voting for a losing candidate.

So when asked about programs he would outright cut to help bring down the debt, first on Romneys list was Obamacare followed by defunding planned parenthood.

God help us if Santorum wins the nomination because unfortunately he is a one trick pony and will be portrayed as such because he always falls into that trap.

m00
03-14-2012, 05:39 PM
So when asked about programs he would outright cut to help bring down the debt, first on Romneys list was Obamacare [b]followed by defunding planned parenthood.

I kind of see planned parenthood as a non-serious pander. It's like every election cycle when the Republicans talk about cutting NPR. Should we cut them? Sure. But imagine you earn 50k a year and you spend 75k a year, so you are deeply in debt. This is like saying "Oh, I go to McDonalds once a month. I'll order the medium combo meal instead of the large. That will help get my spending under control!"

MountainMan
03-14-2012, 05:47 PM
I kind of see planned parenthood as a non-serious pander. It's like every election cycle when the Republicans talk about cutting NPR. Should we cut them? Sure. But imagine you earn 50k a year and you spend 75k a year, so you are deeply in debt. This is like saying "Oh, I go to McDonalds once a month. I'll order the medium combo meal instead of the large. That will help get my spending under control!"
No m00, I was specifically directing my comment to mikeytodykey whose only requirement and litmus test is being pro life. It is the only thing that animates him as a "true conservative". Personally I think mikey is really mikemalloyfan from DU and liberal underground.

As for Romney, I believe he is a conservative. Nobody can point to his platform and say he is a liberal.

m00
03-14-2012, 06:05 PM
No m00, I was specifically directing my comment to mikeytodykey whose only requirement and litmus test is being pro life. It is the only thing that animates him as a "true conservative". Personally I think mikey is really mikemalloyfan from DU and liberal underground.

I picked up on something like that too... I think you nailed it when you said "heads off to DU after the election claiming he converted us all to voting for a losing candidate." At least metaphorically speaking, if not that scenario exactly.

As for Romney, I believe he is a conservative. Nobody can point to his platform and say he is a liberal.

Well, there is the platform he has now. But I'm so suspicious of the guy. And you know what it is, it's the same instinct that makes me suspicious of mike128. It's exactly that same gut feeling.

It's like they know the words, but don't know what they mean. Okay, example... when I hear Romney talking about the importance "Big Ideas" he totally stole that from Newt. He used Newt's exactly phrasing. Does he know what that means? He stole "drawing a stark contrast with Obama" as well, and then I heard him drop Palin's line about "corporate crony capitalism" and how it's bad (without really explaining why he thinks it's bad). And I remember thinking "dude, you worked at Bain. You supported the bailouts. Do you even know what that term means?"

So I feel like he studies the conservative lingo as an outsider, and then does some focus groups on what terms resonate the most with conservatives, and then he just randomly drops them into his speeches. And then when you have the media and the establishment pushing him as hard as they are, and the fact he's outspending everyone and barely winning... it raises so many red flags in my mind. It screams empty suit, actually for the same reason that Obama screamed empty suit to me. I personally don't even consider Obama a liberal at this point (if Democrats were liberals, they would completely disown him - and this is how I know the majority of Democrats are complete sheep). So, I think Obama is some word that we haven't invented yet. In my mind, Romney has a high chance of also being in that category. But we can get into that somewhere else.

Starbuck
03-14-2012, 08:50 PM
......As for Romney, I believe he is a conservative. Nobody can point to his platform and say he is a liberal......
I suppose he is; I don't know. But I did hear him say he would repeal Obamacare. So I don't care if he's a Martian.

JB
03-14-2012, 09:06 PM
I suppose he is; I don't know. But I did hear him say he would repeal Obamacare. So I don't care if he's a Martian.I wasn't sold on the guy. Someone clipped together his speech after Super Tuesday. Not biased wise, just edited out the clapping and such. I liked what the guy had to say. Good conservative ideas. If he holds to it, of course.