PDA

View Full Version : Outraged Muppets to Sue Goldman Sachs

Elspeth
03-15-2012, 01:44 PM
For anyone who saw the op-ed in the New York Times by former Goldman Sachs executive, Greg Smith (http://www.nytimes.com/2012/03/14/opinion/why-i-am-leaving-goldman-sachs.html?_r=1&scp=1&sq=greg%20smith&st=cse) , you will recall that Goldman called the clients they ripped off, "muppets":

It makes me ill how callously people talk about ripping their clients off. Over the last 12 months I have seen five different managing directors refer to their own clients as “muppets,” sometimes over internal e-mail.

Well some Brit thinks the muppets should strike back, if only in satire:

Outraged Muppets to Sue Goldman Sachs (http://www.iainmartinpolitics.com/)

The Muppets, the popular entertainers, are to sue Goldman Sachs. I can reveal that the legal action centres on disparaging comments made by senior Goldman executives. The characters in the Muppets also believe that their brand has been tarnished (*) by association with the world’s leading investment bank.

Greg Smith, a Goldman Sachs executive, has resigned, criticising the culture at the bank. He said that his colleagues had privately mocked clients by branding them complete Muppets.

Kermit the Frog said he was saddened by developments: “Down the years we have done a lot of work with Goldman. When we had a big windfall we looked to these guys to invest it for us. They did some interesting work on derivatives and on hedging our foreign exchange exposure. But now we realise that they were only out for themselves.”

Miss Piggy said that her colleague Mr Frog was being too diplomatic: “It is disgusting. How dare Goldman mock us? The Muppets are respected. We have a good reputation that has been earned by entertaining people. We have a social value. We have put something back into the community. Beyond all the PR hype about good works can Goldman really say the same?”

Angriest of the Muppets are Mr Waldorf and Mr Statler:

“These modern bankers are just over-paid robots. I remember in the 1950s and 1960s when a Wall Street investment banker’s bond was his word,” said Statler. “Those guys started work at 10. Broke for lunch at 12 and were back at their desks at 4 to finish the day with an hour’s work before they went out for dinner with Hugh Hefner.”

Mr Waldorf said that lunch on Wall Street had been taken seriously in those days: “You started with three large martinis, moved onto whisky and soda and took in several large steaks along the way. And you’ll notice that back then the banking system did not bring the economy to its knees.”

Lloyd Blankfein is very rich.

Zathras
03-15-2012, 03:26 PM
LOL....I couldn't help reading that without the voices of the characters saying it.