PDA

View Full Version : The jump from 71,000 feet

Starbuck
03-16-2012, 11:00 AM
Personally, I find the pictures frightening. I don't believe I could jump.
But he did.

Maybe some day the technology will evolve that will enable stranded astronauts to re-enter the atmosphere and descend safely. In fact, I'm guessing that there probably will be a lifeboat of sorts developed at some point - as long as there is no one like Obama to stand in the way.

http://global.fncstatic.com/static/managed/img/Scitech/felix%20on%20edge%20of%20space.jpg

The plunge from 71,581 feet was a success. Next up: 120,000 feet.

Daredevil adventurer Felix Baumgartner's plans to plunge 23 miles from the edge of space back to Earth -- a Red Bull-sponsored stunt that would be the world's highest freefall -- and on Thursday, his team announced the completion of a key test flight over Roswell, N.M.

"The height of Felix's test flight was significant, as it was the first time he passed the Armstrong Line of approximately 63,000 feet, where the atmospheric pressure truly tests Felix's custom-made space suit," his team said in a news release.

"I like the challenge. I have a passion for aviation."

- Daredevil adventurer Felix Baumgartner

It may not have reached the level of a space plunge, but what a fall it was. Baumgartner is said to have reached about 365 mph and fell for three minutes and 43 seconds before he opened his parachute at 7,890 feet.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/scitech/2012/03/15/test-jump-from-71581-feet-sets-up-daredevils-outer-space-plunge/?intcmp=features#ixzz1pIAdmKcf

namvet
03-16-2012, 01:16 PM
if that's me you will see the shit fly out the door first

Bailey
03-16-2012, 01:22 PM
That guy must have balls of steel, wish we had people like that doing real important stuff like space exploration.

SarasotaRepub
03-16-2012, 01:26 PM
That was frackin COOL!!!

Articulate_Ape
03-16-2012, 01:26 PM
if that's me you will see the shit fly out the door first

^ What he said! :biggrin-new:

Rockntractor
03-16-2012, 07:15 PM
Much higher and they will barbeque on reentry.

Starbuck
03-16-2012, 09:46 PM
Zafod - and I'm saying ZAFOD! - is not big enough to get me off that step. I guess I would eventually starve to death..........because I sure as hell can't picture me letting go.:biggrin-new:

PS....I guess the balloon and all just, what?...went off into never-never land.:friendly_wink: