PDA

View Full Version : Beware Barnabas is Back

FlaGator
03-16-2012, 02:03 PM
Dark Shadows returns...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=isjg9O7ifwM

Articulate_Ape
03-16-2012, 02:07 PM
Tim Burton? I don't think so. I'd rather sharpen the blades on a running lawnmower with a nail file.

FlaGator
03-16-2012, 02:27 PM
Looks like he put a comic twist on it. Now I'm a Dark Shadows purist and I probably will not like this, but I'm going to give the movie the benefit of the doubt right now because I like Johnny Depp as an actor. I think casting Eva Green as Angelique is great and Michelle Pfeiffer as Elizabeth Collins-Stoddard was a good choice too.

Articulate_Ape
03-16-2012, 02:31 PM
Looks like he put a comic twist on it. Now I'm a Dark Shadows purist and I probably will not like this, but I'm going to give the movie the benefit of the doubt right now because I like Johnny Depp as an actor. I think casting Eva Green as Angelique is great and Michelle Pfeiffer as Elizabeth Collins-Stoddard was a good choice too.

Johnny Depp is great. Tim Burton, on the other hand, should be set on fire and thrown into a cement mixer full of broken glass and razor wire.

Odysseus
03-16-2012, 02:39 PM
I tried to watch the original series when they were running them on some cable channel a few years ago, and found it incredibly dull. Soap opera pacing is glacial (they have to move slowly so that people who miss episodes can catch up, so the pack several minutes of plot into weeks of airtime), and after a couple of episodes, I gave up on it. This has the advantage of compressing the multi-year run, which probably had a couple of hours of actual plot, into a couple of hours of actual movie. Maybe it will be worth catching on cable.

Zeus
03-16-2012, 02:47 PM
My mother used to watch the original Dark shadows series when I was a kid. Wouldn't let us kids watch it but y'all know how that works. Scared the bejesus out of me. Yrs later watching it it seems rather hokey.

I'm not what one would call a purist but often dislike the product when someone comes along and changes an original. Sometimes it works and sometimes it don't. Also not a big Tim Burton Fan.

Novaheart
03-16-2012, 06:12 PM
I had a poison ring and a cane like Barnabas, but my favorite character was Quentin. I wanted a house with a secret passageway so badly. Our church had something of a "secret" passageway, a bookcase that was actually a door under a staircase, that led to a service staircase to the undercroft.

FlaGator
03-18-2012, 09:49 PM
I had a poison ring and a cane like Barnabas, but my favorite character was Quentin. I wanted a house with a secret passageway so badly. Our church had something of a "secret" passageway, a bookcase that was actually a door under a staircase, that led to a service staircase to the undercroft.

Quentin the werewolf and Daphne the ghost (played by Kate Jackson).