PDA

View Full Version : Shopping thread

SaintLouieWoman
03-18-2012, 02:22 PM
What are your favorite stores? I love Crate & Barrel for the home and J Jill for clothes. I was so glad when they finally opened a J Jill here. The clothes are very comfortable, fit well, but I generally wait for a sale before I buy. It's a relatively long ride to Tampa to check out the stuff at Crate & Barrel, so I usually buy online. Before Christmas I went beserk, as they had a deal if you ordered $100 all the shipping was free, including to multiple addresses. So most of the relatives in St Louis got gifts from C&B for Christmas, delivered to their homes. Hope they didn't mind that I was too thrifty to get them gift wrapped. It's the thought that counts. :biggrin-new:

Now I see why so many stores offer the specials and coupons just to get customers in the door. There's a place called Bealls in Florida, a local Florida chain. There are the regular stores and outlets all over Sarasota. I used to laugh at the stuff, but I guess Florida is getting to me. They always show dinnerware with palm trees and lots of Florida coastal type stuff (and lots of touristy looking junk). But a few of the things are nice. I must be going soft to add a few sea shell things, but I didn't want all that rattan furniture and the "Florida" theme look. Maybe if we had a beach house, but we don't.

What are your favorite places to shop?

Hawkgirl
03-20-2012, 02:49 PM
There's a place called Bealls in Florida, a local Florida chain.

I bought my bathroom art from Bealls..lol...My master bathroom is mostly beige/gold with hints of turquoise, I wanted to do a seashell/beach theme, so I have a collage of seashell art on the walls and some beach stuff. I'll post pics later.

I love Crate & Barrel and I also shop at Home Goods and Bed, Bath & Beyond as I always get 20% off coupons in the mail. I have found some very unique things at Home Goods and I love going there as you never know what they are carrying for the week. I bought a pretty planter and hearts for my outdoor patio last week, along with a white vase with sandalwood flowers for my bathroom. Will post pics of that too.

For clothing, my main go to is Macy's...but I'll pick up anything I like around the mall at different stores. For dressy type things, I like Dillards.

Hawkgirl
03-20-2012, 03:30 PM
Here is the seashell collage in my bathroom

http://i42.tinypic.com/2lky43o.jpg

close-up
http://i44.tinypic.com/2mwf3on.jpg

http://i43.tinypic.com/2mpl9xz.jpg

This isn't a seashell, but I really liked the color of the flower, and the colors matched
http://i39.tinypic.com/nzqgj9.jpg

The above I bought at Bealls...

This stuff I got at Home Goods:

This is also in my bathroom
http://i44.tinypic.com/34e95w2.jpg

Some other assorted stuff I got at Home Goods

Some Easter home decor

http://i44.tinypic.com/1gls09.jpg

my kid ate all the little chocolate eggs that were in there
http://i39.tinypic.com/qwy1cx.jpg

The little paper eggs were purchased at Home Goods, the blue and white server, at Targets
http://i42.tinypic.com/ou2hpc.jpg

This is one in a set of 3 Moroccan style canisters, this sits on my desk in the den...I will probably fill it up with pens and pencils.
http://i43.tinypic.com/33tt0f6.jpg

This is small, sits on top of my directtv box in my bedroom...it's just very peaceful to me,
http://i39.tinypic.com/13yjlht.jpg

My front patio: Chairs were throwaways from my mother's neighbor..I happened to be driving home and saw them, told my father to grab them. I cleaned them, was going to paint, but I loved the natural, worn patina they had, (they are metal), so I left them. I bought those cushions at target, the table I had from a wicker set that I once had...The planter and hearts, at Home Goods.
http://i43.tinypic.com/wswsxj.jpg

Close up of planter and hearts
http://i39.tinypic.com/6o1rg7.jpg

These are classic reproduction Spode plates I got at Home Goods...I love this style of plates, old English look. They are hung in my kitchen
http://i42.tinypic.com/11h7wwk.jpg

Okay, I'm done...lol

linda22003
03-20-2012, 03:52 PM
I get my clothes at Eileen Fisher. I don't really go to home stores, because our house is already pretty full. When Home Goods first opened, I said it certainly wasn't a very creative name. My husband said, "If you like what they have, you won't care if it's called Hitler's." We've called it "Hitler's" ever since. :biggrin-new:

SaintLouieWoman
03-20-2012, 11:58 PM
Hawkgirl, love your pics and the stuff you got at Bealls. I especially love those throwaway chairs. You should send the pics to the Nate Berkus show---the "house proud" segment. You definitely have a flair for decorating.

Anyone can go out and spend unlimited amounts and/or get a decorator. It takes a flair to select things from many sources and maje them look perfect together.

Will take some pics soon, but right now having problems posting. Woke up Friday am and right index finger swollen & sore. Physical therapist suggested icing & elevating, Did last week, felt better, than got busy & didn't continue. Now it's extremely sore again. I'll probably have to give in & go to a doc.

SaintLouieWoman
03-21-2012, 12:01 AM
I get my clothes at Eileen Fisher. I don't really go to home stores, because our house is already pretty full. When Home Goods first opened, I said it certainly wasn't a very creative name. My husband said, "If you like what they have, you won't care if it's called Hitler's." We've called it "Hitler's" ever since. :biggrin-new:

Not sure if there's an Euleen Fisher store here. I disposed of many of my things when we moved to Florida. This house is larger than the other home, so have been getting many different accessories. I sold quite a few things at the local consignment store. I get 65%, balance goes for scholarships to local students.

Hawkgirl
03-21-2012, 01:21 AM
Hawkgirl, love your pics and the stuff you got at Bealls. I especially love those throwaway chairs. You should send the pics to the Nate Berkus show---the "house proud" segment. You definitely have a flair for decorating.

Anyone can go out and spend unlimited amounts and/or get a decorator. It takes a flair to select things from many sources and maje them look perfect together.

Thanks SLW, my gay neighbors love the unique ways that I decorate my house.....so I know I do okay in that department...lol

linda22003
03-21-2012, 08:13 AM
SLW, according to the Eileen Fisher site, there is a Sarasota location at 1501 Main Street. The other Florida locations are Naples, Sanibel Island, Palm Beach Gardens, and Winter Park. I also get some EF items from Neiman Marcus - they have some things of hers that are exclusive to them, and aren't found in the EF stores. My ultimate goal was to make my closet look like the inside of one of her stores, and I'm well on the way!

http://www.nycgo.com/images/uploadedimages/devnycvisitcom/venue/eileen-fisher-1039-madison-avenue-640x285(1).jpg

Hawkgirl
03-21-2012, 05:17 PM
SLW, according to the Eileen Fisher site, there is a Sarasota location at 1501 Main Street. The other Florida locations are Naples, Sanibel Island, Palm Beach Gardens, and Winter Park. I also get some EF items from Neiman Marcus - they have some things of hers that are exclusive to them, and aren't found in the EF stores. My ultimate goal was to make my closet look like the inside of one of her stores, and I'm well on the way!

http://www.nycgo.com/images/uploadedimages/devnycvisitcom/venue/eileen-fisher-1039-madison-avenue-640x285(1).jpg

Odd, I would have thought your closet would be full with tie dyes, platform pants and hair beads...:cool:

SaintLouieWoman
03-21-2012, 07:26 PM

Didn't even realize it was on Main Street. It's in the downtown section of Sarasota. Those clothes look lovely. but not spending that much on clothes anymore since no lomger working. Things are extremely casual in Florida and don't have much of a need for that type wardrobe now. I had some lovely clothes for work, but either sold at a consignment shop or donated most of them. I was exhausted packing for the move to Florida, so was in a mad dash to lighten the load coming down here,

Hawkgirl
03-21-2012, 07:41 PM
Things are extremely casual in Florida and don't have much of a need for that type wardrobe now. ,

One of the things I love about living here. I am in flip flops for about 10 months out of the year :lemo:
Getting dressed up seems like such a chore now. Things were a lot different in NYC as you can imagine. It certainly is a slower pace of life here and being on both ends...I prefer it here.

SaintLouieWoman
03-21-2012, 10:23 PM
One of the things I love about living here. I am in flip flops for about 10 months out of the year :lemo:
Getting dressed up seems like such a chore now. Things were a lot different in NYC as you can imagine. It certainly is a slower pace of life here and being on both ends...I prefer it here.

I agree. It's nice to not have to worry about the rigid dress code my company imposed. I had a nice little black knit suit & was chastised by HR for it being too casual. I was really ticked off, as I thought it was OK. It was far from a St John knit, but it was OK to call on my government clients. Most of the women were in jeans and a top. I kept telling my boss that sales reps who dressed too expensively put off some of their clients. I argued for the chamelon theory---that one needed to fit in.

At least I "retired" (got my 401k, no pension) with a nice party and on good terms. The guy who gave me all the trouble was shown the door. He and his dress code were outta there. :biggrin-new:

linda22003
03-22-2012, 08:08 AM
I agree. It's nice to not have to worry about the rigid dress code my company imposed.

I like Eileen Fisher because it's all very comfortable, yet completely presentable. And every piece mixes and matches with others - it's like Garanimals for adults. When it comes to dress codes, well, I work in a company full of systems engineers, and they're not generally known for their fashion sense.

noonwitch
03-22-2012, 02:55 PM
I buy most of my clothes at: Macys, Dress Barn or Nordstrom (the main store or The Rack). Main store Nordstrom shopping is strictly clearance sale time, or Mom's birthday present (the gift wrapping makes it very clear the present did not come from The Rack, and I like for my mom to know I spent some $$ on her).

I buy most of my home items from Target, Meijer or Kohls.

SaintLouieWoman
03-22-2012, 07:01 PM
I buy most of my clothes at: Macys, Dress Barn or Nordstrom (the main store or The Rack). Main store Nordstrom shopping is strictly clearance sale time, or Mom's birthday present (the gift wrapping makes it very clear the present did not come from The Rack, and I like for my mom to know I spent some $$ on her).

I buy most of my home items from Target, Meijer or Kohls.

Wouldn't you know that as soon as I moved from St Louis, they built a Nordstrom Rack. Grrrr. Of course there's no Nordstrom in Sarasota. I've gotten some pretty good buys at Nordstrom's sales. You can't beat their customer service.

When I was in St Louis, I went to the Rack and got some cute little clothes for the 2 little ones and a nice pair of gloves for their mom, my very nice DIL.

I've got to resist that ZuLily thing. They have the most darling little clothes for kids. I bought a couple things and had them shipped to St Louis for my two little sweeties. Their mommy said that they were good quality. It always worries me ordering from an unfamiliar source, so was glad to hear that they were OK.

Sounds like your mom is a lucky woman, having a nice daughter like you.

Hawkgirl
03-22-2012, 07:19 PM
I love Gymboree for my daughter...she has so much of their clothing I should probably find out if they're a public company and buy stock.

SaintLouieWoman
03-22-2012, 07:26 PM
I love Gymboree for my daughter...she has so much of their clothing I should probably find out if they're a public company and buy stock.
My niece's little girl loves Justice. I think it's one of those mall places geared to kids around 10 or so. Her little sister likes a place called Sugar & Spice. I don't know if they're national chains. I'll have to find Gymboree for my 17 mo old granddaughter, haven't been getting much for myself lately, but can't resist those cute kid clothes. I bet your mom has the same problem. :biggrin-new:

Hawkgirl
03-22-2012, 08:48 PM
My niece's little girl loves Justice. I think it's one of those mall places geared to kids around 10 or so. Her little sister likes a place called Sugar & Spice. I don't know if they're national chains. I'll have to find Gymboree for my 17 mo old granddaughter, haven't been getting much for myself lately, but can't resist those cute kid clothes. I bet your mom has the same problem. :biggrin-new:

Yup, I mostly do online shopping for Gymboree as the prices are better. I always show sale items and buy bigger. Otherwise, it's pretty expensive.
My mom and my sister in law always buy for her so I don't really do as much shopping thanks to all the cute gifts she gets.

linda22003
03-23-2012, 09:20 AM

Gymboree was a public company (NASDAQ: GYMB) until November of 2010, when it was bought out. Now you'd have to invest in the parent holding company.... Bain Capital. :smile-new:

SaintLouieWoman
03-23-2012, 05:08 PM
Gymboree was a public company (NASDAQ: GYMB) until November of 2010, when it was bought out. Now you'd have to invest in the parent holding company.... Bain Capital. :smile-new:
Wasn't Eileen Fisher the high end line of Liz Claiborne some years ago? I haven't been shopping much lately. Is Liz Claiborne still around?

Hawkgirl
03-23-2012, 08:36 PM
Wasn't Eileen Fisher the high end line of Liz Claiborne some years ago? I haven't been shopping much lately. Is Liz Claiborne still around?
I liked Liz in the 90's...I still like Ann Taylor.

Elspeth
03-24-2012, 01:16 AM

They'll be bankrupted for sure!

linda22003
03-24-2012, 09:50 AM

No - Eileen Fisher and Liz Claiborne have always been separate people and separate companies. Liz Claiborne is quite an empire: it includes Kate Spade, Jack Spade (but not David Spade!), Juicy Couture, DKNY, and Lucky Brands. Liz herself died almost five years ago, and they're retiring her name now; the conglomerate will be known as Fifth and Pacific in a month or two.
Eileen Fisher is a generation younger than Liz Claiborne, very much alive, and started her eponymous, independent company in 1984.

linda22003
03-24-2012, 09:52 AM
I liked Liz in the 90's...I still like Ann Taylor.

Unlike Liz Claiborne and Eileen Fisher, there has never actually been a person connected with this company who was named Ann Taylor. I guess it was considered classier than "Richard Liebeskind."

Hawkgirl
03-26-2012, 12:17 AM
Unlike Liz Claiborne and Eileen Fisher, there has never actually been a person connected with this company who was named Ann Taylor. I guess it was considered classier than "Richard Liebeskind."

That's pretty interesting to learn. Love the designers, whoever they are..lol

noonwitch
03-26-2012, 12:56 PM

My nieces loved their clothes when they were that aged.

Now, the 9 year old loves Justice (formerly The Limited Too) and the 12 year old loves A&F, Hollister and Aeropostle t shirts with jeans from Target.

I refuse to buy her anything from A&F and told her that it was because they sexualize children both with their products and their advertising.

linda22003
03-26-2012, 01:12 PM
Abercrombie and Fitch is where my grandfather and great-grandfather used to get their hunting and fishing equipment. I couldn't believe how much it had changed, and they would be none too pleased. :cool:

http://ghoti62.files.wordpress.com/2011/03/greatest-sporting-goods-store.jpg

SaintLouieWoman
03-26-2012, 08:55 PM
My nieces loved their clothes when they were that aged.

Now, the 9 year old loves Justice (formerly The Limited Too) and the 12 year old loves A&F, Hollister and Aeropostle t shirts with jeans from Target.

I refuse to buy her anything from A&F and told her that it was because they sexualize children both with their products and their advertising.
Agree totally with you on A&F, besides their clothes don't seem to be as high of quality as in the good old days.

Thanks for the info on Justice. Had heard of The Limited Too, but don't spend much time at the malls. I just send a check to St Louis & my sis gets a gift card for the kids to Justice and to Sweet & Sassy for the younger little girl.

Is Justice one of those places with all the peace signs? Just wondering.

Hawkgirl
03-26-2012, 11:29 PM
Is Justice one of those places with all the peace signs? Just wondering.

I think so, very colorful store front. I was at the Mall on Saturday and saw one and thought of you..lol

I'm sure my daughter will be checking out in a couple of years.

SaintLouieWoman
03-27-2012, 01:10 PM
I think so, very colorful store front. I was at the Mall on Saturday and saw one and thought of you..lol

I'm sure my daughter will be checking out in a couple of years.
That hippy peace sign stuff definitely isn't my style, but I figure if I get them a gift card it's up to them to get what they want, My niece is a lib and probably thinks I'm one of those hopeless conservatives that she tolerates. We never talk politics or viewpoints. I do with her mom, and that is the basis for many disputes, so I just stand back from the niece. She and her little girls mean a lot to me, so they're one of my few exceptions with that "lib thing". :biggrin-new:

noonwitch
03-29-2012, 11:06 AM
That hippy peace sign stuff definitely isn't my style, but I figure if I get them a gift card it's up to them to get what they want, My niece is a lib and probably thinks I'm one of those hopeless conservatives that she tolerates. We never talk politics or viewpoints. I do with her mom, and that is the basis for many disputes, so I just stand back from the niece. She and her little girls mean a lot to me, so they're one of my few exceptions with that "lib thing". :biggrin-new:

The kids like the peace sign shirts, and all the stores are now selling them. They are too young to understand about the 60s.

My niece likes the colorful nature of the clothing at Justice. I usually get her a top there, and buy jeans or leggings from somewhere less expensive, like Target, at least for Christmas. I don't have to spread as much money around at birthday time, so I have splurged at times on her.

linda22003
03-29-2012, 01:04 PM
I was so glad when "Club Libby Lu" went out of business a few years ago. There was one at our local mall, and my husband used to refer to it as the "Junior Whore Store." :concern:

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_At2Pxgoc1a4/SdI1NxATKhI/AAAAAAAACPo/kOgipWidEPE/s400/libby+lu+group.jpg

Hawkgirl
04-12-2012, 12:37 AM
http://i43.tinypic.com/wswsxj.jpg

Close up of planter and hearts
http://i39.tinypic.com/6o1rg7.jpg

These are classic reproduction Spode plates I got at Home Goods...I love this style of plates, old English look. They are hung in my kitchen
http://i42.tinypic.com/11h7wwk.jpg

Okay, I'm done...lol

OMG hahahahahahahaha:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:
ROCK! you changed my picture!!

Rockntractor
04-12-2012, 12:43 AM
OMG hahahahahahahaha:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:
ROCK! you changed my picture!!

I didn't do it? Honest!

Hawkgirl
04-12-2012, 12:53 AM
I didn't do it? Honest!

Hmmmm...it was someone with editing powers...whoever did it.....funny!!

Rockntractor
04-12-2012, 12:55 AM
Hmmmm...it was someone with editing powers...whoever did it.....funny!!

If you hotlinked it your source may have changed pics.

Hawkgirl
04-12-2012, 12:58 AM
If you hotlinked it your source may have changed pics.

I don't know what that means, I always use tinypic to host my pics and have never seen it...or at least haven't noticed it.

noonwitch
04-13-2012, 09:14 AM
I was so glad when "Club Libby Lu" went out of business a few years ago. There was one at our local mall, and my husband used to refer to it as the "Junior Whore Store." :concern:

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_At2Pxgoc1a4/SdI1NxATKhI/AAAAAAAACPo/kOgipWidEPE/s400/libby+lu+group.jpg

I find that photo really disturbing. WTF is wrong with parents, these days?

My sister is grateful that her shapely and mature 12 year old is into jeans and t-shirts.