PDA

View Full Version : My Strange Addiction

NJCardFan
03-19-2012, 01:40 AM
I was going to post this in the Lounge but there is nothing good natured about this show. This is bar none the most retarded show in history. My wife likes watching this show and it's on right now and these people are just sick. In this episode is a girl who likes to drink gasoline. Talk about a Darwin Award right before your eyes. Here is a link to the show so you can see what kind of attention whores this world really has: http://tlc.howstuffworks.com/tv/my-strange-addiction Just when I think television couldn't get any worse, shows like this prove me wrong. And to think it's on TLC. You know, The Learning Channel.

wannaberocker
03-19-2012, 10:08 AM
i saw this show. It was very disgusting.

A show on TLC that i actually liked watching was "Geek Love" lol. It was pretty funny and good natured.

Odysseus
03-19-2012, 10:15 AM
Reality TV continues to coarsen the culture. Sooner or later, somebody is going to die on camera and the ratings will go berserk, at which point we will start feeding people to lions on the air.

linda22003
03-19-2012, 10:36 AM
Maybe you could suggest an alternative to reality TV to your wife. Personally, I like items called "books". :smile-new:

wannaberocker
03-19-2012, 11:14 AM
Reality TV continues to coarsen the culture. Sooner or later, somebody is going to die on camera and the ratings will go berserk, at which point we will start feeding people to lions on the air.

Lol i was talking to my cousin yesterday and he was complaining about the moral decay of our culture. But then he asks me "do you watch Jersey Shore" and i was like "No". Then he goes "yeah i watch that show".

I was thinking "why would you watch a trashy show like Jersey SHore if you do not like the moral decay of soceity".

Bailey
03-19-2012, 11:18 AM
Maybe you could suggest an alternative to reality TV to your wife. Personally, I like items called "books". :smile-new:

And being anal retentive, you very much like being that.

NJCardFan
03-19-2012, 11:22 AM

She does read...a lot.

Janice
03-19-2012, 11:52 AM
Who knew? TLC has joined the ranks of the sick. Sick is the new normal according to the left now. Well, I suppose that all you would have to do is watch what is coming out of the White House if you didnt already know it. Degradation, sick, perverse, up is down, left is right, lies are truth, normal is deviant .. whatever, is the new normal for this crowd. The fringe is being made to be mainstream with the help of a compliant "opposition" party and msmedia. What a bunch of sick bastards.

"they shall receive in themselves the just recompense of their error" - Romans 1:27

I suppose its as they say... "hell is never full".

noonwitch
03-19-2012, 11:59 AM
I used to love TLC about a decade ago, when they had shows like "Great Castles of Europe".

Zeus
03-19-2012, 12:06 PM
Myself I don't get the draw to reality TV. Or shows Like the Walking Dead.

A few of the shows i do like are Alcatraz , Person of Interest , Once Upon a Time , Mad Men.

Also Boardwalk Empire , Game of Thrones , Spartacus.

To each his own I guess.

linda22003
03-19-2012, 12:27 PM
And being anal retentive, you very much like being that.

Yah, I'm one o' them READERS.... cain't trust them AY-leet types.

Bailey
03-19-2012, 12:29 PM

lol no has nothing to do with reading my friend, I know plenty of more intelligent people then you who aren't spelling/grammar Nazi's.

Zeus
03-19-2012, 01:22 PM
Another Show I like is Justified. Raylan givens is one bad ass US Marshall.

DumbAss Tanker
03-19-2012, 01:32 PM
I used to love TLC about a decade ago, when they had shows like "Great Castles of Europe".

Me too, unfortunately at some point in the past ten years, they decided to slide over into mostly medical shows which I didn't find interesting at all, and then slipped from that into just being an all-out freak show channel.

noonwitch
03-19-2012, 01:34 PM
Me too, unfortunately at some point in the past ten years, they decided to slide over into mostly medical shows which I didn't find interesting at all, and then slipped from that into just being an all-out freak show channel.

I think it started with that Jon and Kate plus 8 crap.

Now, I'm lucky if History 2 is covering some historical era other than WWII.

Bailey
03-19-2012, 01:36 PM
I am addicted to Pawn Stars and Auction hunters.

ABC in Georgia
03-19-2012, 02:31 PM

elite, noun
1. (sometimes functioning as plural) the most powerful, rich, gifted, or educated members of a group, community, etc.

Linda ...

In your opinion, which of the above adjectives best describes you?

~ ABC

Zeus
03-19-2012, 02:44 PM

American Pickers is another interesting one. I guess there are some reality based shows I like.

linda22003
03-19-2012, 03:25 PM
Linda ...

In your opinion, which of the above adjectives best describes you?

~ ABC

I put the word in because it gets tossed around a lot, often pejoratively, for some reason.

Odysseus
03-19-2012, 05:31 PM
Lol i was talking to my cousin yesterday and he was complaining about the moral decay of our culture. But then he asks me "do you watch Jersey Shore" and i was like "No". Then he goes "yeah i watch that show".

I was thinking "why would you watch a trashy show like Jersey SHore if you do not like the moral decay of soceity".

Never seen it. Hope that I never do. The closest that I get to Reality TV is Jeopardy.

Myself I don't get the draw to reality TV. Or shows Like the Walking Dead.

A few of the shows i do like are Alcatraz , Person of Interest , Once Upon a Time , Mad Men.

Also Boardwalk Empire , Game of Thrones , Spartacus.

To each his own I guess.

The Walking Dead is actually quite good, but I was a fan of the comic. The story isn't about the zombies and the gore, but about the pressures on the survivors. It's good drama.

I put the word in because it gets tossed around a lot, often pejoratively, for some reason.

Elite is not a pejorative, but elitist is. It's a subtle distinction, but the former refers to persons who stand out by virtue of their virtues, while the latter refers to people who think that they stand out and presume to lecture the rest of us.

Janice
03-19-2012, 05:33 PM
http://i.imgur.com/pMf1J.jpg (http://www.cbs.com/shows/the_good_wife/)

Another Show I like is Justified. Raylan givens is one bad ass US Marshall.

American Pickers is another interesting one. I guess there are some reality based shows I like.

I luv all those shows too. Really great stuff. :cool:

Have you ever watched "The Good Wife"? (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1442462/) Its about a law firm of democrats. Its not overt so much that they are dems but it is of course a little obvious. Another great show imho. It seems based on a lot of actual events. Has small cameos of certain democrat operatives like Donna Brazil and Mr "thrill up his leg" and others. A lot of very cute and smart conflicts personal and professional. I know, I know ... its "democrats". But its entertaining! And occasionally theres a love interest with some "right wing republican" (a real man).

I mean what could be more entertaining than a show involving legal issues, ethics, moral dilemmas , titillation and ... democrats (lawyers, prosecutors, activists and judges)? Im not kidding. Anyways, its also one of my favs.

Elspeth
03-19-2012, 06:02 PM

I don't think we are far from this.

And that scares the crap out of me.

Zeus
03-19-2012, 06:16 PM
Lest we forget Americas favorite serial killer, Dexter. Season 6 Sunday Sept 30 , 2012 on HBO :cool:

Janice
03-19-2012, 07:50 PM
Lest we forget Americas favorite serial killer, Dexter. Season 6 Sunday Sept 30 , 2012 on HBO :cool:

Yup. That one too. Cant wait for the next season. :cool:

Articulate_Ape
03-19-2012, 07:51 PM

Dexter rocks. He makes my hobby look cool. http://i531.photobucket.com/albums/dd359/JamesSavant/skinner.gif

Zeus
03-19-2012, 08:50 PM
Dexter rocks. He makes my hobby look cool. http://i531.photobucket.com/albums/dd359/JamesSavant/skinner.gif

You have a hobby as a serial killer :scared:

Rockntractor
03-19-2012, 08:58 PM

Lucky Charms, Count Chocula, Frankenberry etc.............

Hawkgirl
03-19-2012, 09:03 PM
I love Celebrity Apprentice. The lady group this season is just plain VICIOUS. Not that I like that sort of thing....but you really do see another side of some of these hollyweird creeps.

Hawkgirl
03-19-2012, 09:05 PM

I cancelled my HBO after the Sopranos ended. I did watch a few episodes of Dexter, it was just okay. I wouldn't re-subscribe to HBO for it.

Now, I did hear that Chris Meloni was going to play a part in True Blood. Perhaps only then would I think about getting HBO again.

Rockntractor
03-19-2012, 09:20 PM

Besides, at his advanced age all he could prey on would be 80 year old woman with hip replacements!http://www.smiley-lol.com/smiley/ordinateurs/pancartes/panlol.gif

Zeus
03-19-2012, 10:02 PM
I cancelled my HBO after the Sopranos ended. I did watch a few episodes of Dexter, it was just okay. I wouldn't re-subscribe to HBO for it.

Now, I did hear that Chris Meloni was going to play a part in True Blood. Perhaps only then would I think about getting HBO again.

I heard that too and thought big whoop the guy can't act . I really don't think he'll last long on the series.

NJCardFan
03-20-2012, 12:35 AM
I did watch a few episodes of Dexter, it was just okay. I wouldn't re-subscribe to HBO for it.

Well, considering it's on Showtime...:star:

hai
03-20-2012, 01:09 AM

Have you seen Hardcore Pawn?

It's supposed to be a spinoff i think of Pawn Stars.

It's the one in Detroit with the Black people on it.

Hawkgirl
03-20-2012, 01:27 AM
Well, considering it's on Showtime...:star:

LOL was it? I had Showtime too at one time. Probably when I first got DirectTV and it was free.

Hawkgirl
03-20-2012, 01:28 AM
It's the one in Detroit with the Black people on it.

I saw a few minutes of it..and it was hilarious...very ghetto too.

Wei Wu Wei
03-20-2012, 06:48 PM

I'm surprised anyone thinks this is a bad thing. After all, it's just the market responding to demand, giving people what they want. How can the free market be a bad thing?

Rockntractor
03-20-2012, 06:52 PM
I'm surprised anyone thinks this is a bad thing. After all, it's just the market responding to demand, giving people what they want. How can the free market be a bad thing?

http://www.whattheffacts.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/fart.jpg

DumbAss Tanker
03-20-2012, 07:01 PM

Your ability to compress the outcome of several cumulative business decision cycles, for an enterprise process which is still on-going and of uncertain outcome, into a single bizarre conclusion is an impressive argument for prohibiting Liberals from ever serving in government.

Wei Wu Wei
03-20-2012, 07:38 PM
Your ability to compress the outcome of several cumulative business decision cycles, for an enterprise process which is still on-going and of uncertain outcome, into a single bizarre conclusion is an impressive argument for prohibiting Liberals from ever serving in government.

Entertainment media corporations, be they television networks or film studios are private businesses with the sole existential goal of generating profits. Their profits are dependent on their ratings, so they try to maximize their ratings. They are showing what "sells", they are giving people what they want, this is what people praise the free market for doing.

Sure it may result in a morally decayed, fantasy-obsessed, hedonistic society full of degenerates who base their entire identity and structures of desire on abhorrent bottom-of-the-bin garbage, but that's perfectly fine for the profit motive. Hell, if anything, a society likes that is more likely to consume more television and easy-to-make movies.

Companies are not in the business of ethics or morality, they are in the business of making money. If being a successful, profit-generating company isn't their number 1 goal, they are going to be out-competed by another company who puts profits first. Even a network that was originally made with a noble goal in mind like the Discovery Channel has devolved into "The Blue Collar Jobs and Explosions Channel". Rather than interesting investigations into the world of science and wonder, we get to watch some rednecks wrastle with their daddy issues on a fishing boat or some young punks blow up pork chops and giggle to themselves.

American "culture" today (the only culture understood by the youth) is driven by entertainment corporations, and our society is entirely dominated by private corporations. What people are describing as awful mind-poisoning television is simply the results of this.

Janice
03-20-2012, 08:38 PM
Sure it may result in a morally decayed, fantasy-obsessed, hedonistic society full of degenerates ...

All this driven by the media "eilte" and Hollyweird. Hell, theyve been trying to impose their immoral "standards" on us for decades. Degeneracy is the "norm" for them. And they assume it should be for the rest of us. What a waste and a shame.

But I let it have as little impact on me and those around me as possible. I "opted out" at least 10 or 12 years ago. We have a TV in the living room but its purely for decoration. It powers on but its not connected to an antenna or cable or anything. We stopped going to movies too. I stopped after "Tin Cup" where every other word by Kevin Costner was GD.

I still watch my fav movies and TV series but I download them .. and watch commercial free (commercials are another booger boo). The "news" media is what offends the most. Ive found life to be much more enjoyable without the propaganda and debasing of our culture "in my face" 27/7 thank you very much. :cool:

Wei Wu Wei
03-20-2012, 09:05 PM
All this driven by the media "eilte" and Hollyweird. Hell, theyve been trying to impose their immoral "standards" on us for decades. Degeneracy is the "norm" for them. And they assume it should be for the rest of us. What a waste and a shame.

I will not defend liberal elitists who look down on working class traditional Americans as being "backwards" or "stupid" because they go to church or because they don't have orgies.

I think the liberal class has brought upon itself the scorn that rural Americans have towards them. It's a severe fault, and it's disgusting. I don't think a self-absorbed life of pleasure under a thin veil of "post-modern refinement" is anything worth celebrating. I cannot put this any more clearly: Fuck Liberals

However, we must look and realize that the reason this has worked is because it plays into the free market dynamics of post-modern liberal capitalism. The free market is blind to values, it's blind to faith, it's blind to morality. At it's core, it's merely a veil over the oppressive relations that constitute our society, but more obviously, it's a pure drive for profit.

Stupid liberals of the 60's believed they could "change the world" by getting high and having "free love" and basically becoming self-indulgent assholes who prided themselves in being "open minded" even though they were simply involved in hedonism, whether it's direct in the form of pleasures or indirect in the form of "self-fulfillment". This is where the stupid self-esteem movement was born out of decades later, a generation of adults who really believed that the most important thing for their kids is that they are happy and "believe in themselves", all the while abandoning hard work, strong moral values, and honest self-criticism.

However, this new breed of liberal didn't destabilize the society at all, capitalist interests simply co-opted these very values. Today, the entire consumer culture is all about indulging one's pleasures, self-actualizing oneself, and being "true to the inner me", all through watching certain shows, driving certain cars, wearing certain clothes and so on.

The fact is that liberal elitism and capitalist market dynamics go hand-in-hand. The system evolved in such a way that contemporary liberalism works with it. You can blame liberals if you want for putting forth ideas of self-indulgent hedonist stupidity, but it's our capitalist structures that made these ideas the predominant ruling ideology. Sure it may have been hippies in the 60's who started the whole shebang, but it's private capitalist companies who pump these images and ideas into almost every home in America, on every radio station, and plaster it across billboards.

However, simply bashing liberals isn't a way out of this, in fact that's another trap. There's simply a whole other market available for people who dislike liberals and "what they stand for".

But I let it have as little impact on me and those around me as possible. I "opted out" at least 10 or 12 years ago. We have a TV in the living room but its purely for decoration. It powers on but its not connected to an antenna or cable or anything. We stopped going to movies too. I stopped after "Tin Cup" where every other word by Kevin Costner was GD.

That's a good move.

I still watch my fav movies and TV series but I download them .. and watch commercial free (commercials are another booger boo). The "news" media is what offends the most. Ive found life to be much more enjoyable without the propaganda and debasing of our culture "in my face" 27/7 thank you very much. :cool:

I can dig this.

Zeus
03-20-2012, 09:09 PM
PSSSSSSt Wei Wei who do you think the Market is in free market ?

Who are the capitalist in Free market capitalism ?

Wei Wu Wei
03-20-2012, 09:21 PM
Capital moves itself blindly, the people are merely it's objects.

NJCardFan
03-20-2012, 09:24 PM

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v236/indraeek/thread_crapping.gif

Rockntractor
03-20-2012, 09:42 PM
I thought this was about reality TV?http://www.smiley-lol.com/smiley/asile/fou16.gif

Wei Wu Wei
03-20-2012, 10:10 PM
I thought this was about reality TV?http://www.smiley-lol.com/smiley/asile/fou16.gif

reality tv sucks big time

Rockntractor
03-20-2012, 10:28 PM
reality tv sucks big time

Sometime when you're bored you should put the bong on the shelf and try reality.http://www.smiley-lol.com/smiley/exagerent/fumeur/narguile-2.gif

Zeus
03-20-2012, 10:44 PM

Economics or Business definitely not your strong suits are they ?

Zeus
03-20-2012, 10:57 PM
No television network would touch it. Morgan Spurlock's Failure Club on Yahoo is interesting.

Odysseus
03-21-2012, 10:56 AM
I will not defend liberal elitists who look down on working class traditional Americans as being "backwards" or "stupid" because they go to church or because they don't have orgies.

No, you'll just treat us as backwards and stupid because we don't agree with your prescriptions for a Marxist state.

I think the liberal class has brought upon itself the scorn that rural Americans have towards them. It's a severe fault, and it's disgusting. I don't think a self-absorbed life of pleasure under a thin veil of "post-modern refinement" is anything worth celebrating. I cannot put this any more clearly: Fuck Liberals

Yes, but let's remember that liberals weren't always liberals. Back before progressives co-opted the term liberal, a liberal was a proponent of minimal government, free markets and individual liberty. The progressive/socialist/communist fellow travelers who had rendered those terms toxic began calling themselves "liberals in a hurry" and then dropped the "in a hurry" part. They then imposed the same ideologies that had rendered their previous names toxic, to the point where being a liberal is now considered as bad as being a communist or socialist used to be, because thanks to the left, there is no longer a difference.

However, we must look and realize that the reason this has worked is because it plays into the free market dynamics of post-modern liberal capitalism. The free market is blind to values, it's blind to faith, it's blind to morality. At it's core, it's merely a veil over the oppressive relations that constitute our society, but more obviously, it's a pure drive for profit.

On the contrary, the free market is the sum of the values, faith and morals of its participants. There will always be trashy entertainments (just ask Tacitus), but there will also always be uplifting and valuable art. There is a market for the good, too. For every Lady Gaga there's a Taylor Swift. For every NFL or NBA thug, there's a Tim Tebow or a Jeremy Lin.

Stupid liberals of the 60's believed they could "change the world" by getting high and having "free love" and basically becoming self-indulgent assholes who prided themselves in being "open minded" even though they were simply involved in hedonism, whether it's direct in the form of pleasures or indirect in the form of "self-fulfillment". This is where the stupid self-esteem movement was born out of decades later, a generation of adults who really believed that the most important thing for their kids is that they are happy and "believe in themselves", all the while abandoning hard work, strong moral values, and honest self-criticism.

And just why did liberals do this? Who taught them to indulge themselves and destroy the culture around them? All of these owe their origins to the theories of leftists, starting with Rousseau, who believed that man could be perfected by tearing down imperfect institutions and permitting us to return to the perfect state of nature. Hobbes' famous rebuke, that life in a state of nature is "solitary, nasty, brutish and short", was correct then and now. The liberals who sought comfort in dialectical materialism eventually just sought comfort in materialism.

However, this new breed of liberal didn't destabilize the society at all, capitalist interests simply co-opted these very values. Today, the entire consumer culture is all about indulging one's pleasures, self-actualizing oneself, and being "true to the inner me", all through watching certain shows, driving certain cars, wearing certain clothes and so on.

Wrong again. These liberals undermined the family through welfare programs and libertine excesses, then watched poverty skyrocket. They instituted worthless "self-esteem" programs in schools, resulting in generations of illiterate with a health self image, and then lamented that we weren't spending enough on education. They destroyed our capacity to incarcerate criminals and then complained that crime rates were up because society was sick. In short, every place where their (i.e., your) ideas were put into practice, standards collapsed, society eroded and we slid away from civilization.

The fact is that liberal elitism and capitalist market dynamics go hand-in-hand. The system evolved in such a way that contemporary liberalism works with it. You can blame liberals if you want for putting forth ideas of self-indulgent hedonist stupidity, but it's our capitalist structures that made these ideas the predominant ruling ideology. Sure it may have been hippies in the 60's who started the whole shebang, but it's private capitalist companies who pump these images and ideas into almost every home in America, on every radio station, and plaster it across billboards.

Wrong, wronger and wrongest. Liberal elitism presumes that people must be led by their betters. Capitalism presumes that people can make their own decisions, and that we are all better off when this is the case.

However, simply bashing liberals isn't a way out of this, in fact that's another trap. There's simply a whole other market available for people who dislike liberals and "what they stand for".

And that is...? Let me guess: Socialism. Because, as we all know, socialist states are much more morally upright than free market democracies. :rolleyes:

And again, wrong. Capital moves because people move it. They do so because they want to ensure their own prosperity. A capitalist economy is the best example of evolution in nature. Capital follows good decisions and flees from bad ones. Companies rise and fall on their own merits, and people flock to those that rise and avoid those that are falling. It's not perfect, but it's a far better system than anything created by central planners, socialists, communists, Marxists or any other variant of the statist mindset that presumes that a small group of elite planners has sufficient knowledge to run a market in which litererally billions of transactions occur every day.

Janice
03-21-2012, 11:01 AM
Good retort Odysseus. http://i55.tinypic.com/2hfi39c.gif