PDA

View Full Version : Who Keeps 404ing Stories about Malia Obama’s Spring Break Trip to Mexico?

Teetop
03-19-2012, 10:30 PM
Via Instapundit. (http://pjmedia.com/tatler/2012/03/19/who-keeps-404ing-stories-about-malia-obamas-spring-break-trip-to-mexico/)

This is very curious. Stories about first daughter Malia Obama’s spring break trip to Mexico with 25 Secret Service detailed to protect her and her friends keep returning 404 errors or redirects.

Here’s Huffington Post’s link to its story about the spring break. Click on it and see where it goes: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/03/19/malia-obama-mexico-spring-break_n_1364063.html

Yahoo! ran a story about it. But it has since been run off. http://news.yahoo.com/obamas-daughter-spends-springbreak-mexico-145031176.html.

That Yahoo! link is redirecting to a story about something entirely unrelated.

Essence had the story. Emphasis on the past tense. http://www.essence.com/2012/03/19/malia-obama-travels-to-mexico-for-spring-break/

Even the UK Telegraph story is now off the grid. http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/barackobama/9152796/Malia-Obama-guarded-by-25-Secret-Service-agents-on-spring-break-in-Mexico.html. That’s the version that Drudge was linking to.

Drudge linked to a different version, at the International Business Times, and now that story is down the 404 hole: http://www.ibtimes.com/articles/316249/20120319/malia-obama-mexico-spring-break-travel-warning.htm

The spring break trip really happened. This blog post about it hasn’t gone 404 (yet), and has several pics of Malia with her friends.

What is going on here? Is the White House trying to scrub the Internet of all stories about the first daughter’s spring break trip to Mexico?

The most transparent administration in history!

I saw this on Weasel Zippers earlier today. (http://weaselzippers.us/2012/03/19/like-mother-like-daughter-malia-obama-and-25-secret-service-agents-jet-to-mexico-for-spring-break/)

Screen caps at The Blaze. (http://www.theblaze.com/stories/why-is-the-story-about-malia-obama-vacationing-in-mexico-disappearing-from-the-web/)

WTH??? LMAO!

Odysseus
03-20-2012, 08:20 AM
Who is chaperoning this trip? My parents would have sent me to prison before they'd have let me go to Spring Break at the age of 13. Where's Michelle?

noonwitch
03-20-2012, 08:34 AM
Who is chaperoning this trip? My parents would have sent me to prison before they'd have let me go to Spring Break at the age of 13. Where's Michelle?

My parents wouldn't let me go on spring break trips when I was in college, but then again, they didn't have the ability to send 25 secret service agents to protect me.

I would guess, just because of the age of the girls, that it is some kind of school trip.

Odysseus
03-20-2012, 08:50 AM
My parents wouldn't let me go on spring break trips when I was in college, but then again, they didn't have the ability to send 25 secret service agents to protect me.

I would guess, just because of the age of the girls, that it is some kind of school trip.

A school trip over Spring Break? That's when school is out. Of course, she goes to a private school, so anything is possible, but I suspect that the Obama's just don't want voters knowing that they let their 13-year-old daughter go to Mexico without parental supervision.

Janice
03-20-2012, 09:08 AM
http://i.imgur.com/UqscB.jpg

Google, Yahoo, and Youtube currently have Dem operatives deleting anything that makes Obama look bad. Theyve also scrubbed the 0bama Impeachment Resolution (http://voices.yahoo.com/congressman-submits-impeachment-resolution-due-to-11077044.html?cat=62) from the web for the most part.

But what else would you expect from a media who in essence actively campaigned for and continues to campaign for a party and its corrupt and incompetent leadership with a Statist mindset? I guess this is the new and improved Pravda as 1984 comes more and more into focus. And seeing how they manipulated the last election it does make one pause and wonder what kind of shenanigans they are going to pull for the next one. And future ones beyond.

txradioguy
03-20-2012, 09:33 AM

At the Ed Sullivan Theater in NYC.

http://newsbusters.org/sites/default/files/thumbnail_photos/2012/March/Letterman%20Obama.jpg

Letterman Asks Michelle Obama 'Has Your Husband' Ever Said To You 'John Boehner, What An Idiot?'

http://newsbusters.org/blogs/noel-sheppard/2012/03/20/letterman-asks-michelle-obama-has-your-husband-ever-said-you-john-boe#ixzz1pfD3UF2x

txradioguy
03-20-2012, 10:46 AM
After it was reported Monday that Malia Obama was going to Mexico for spring break with 25 Secret Service agents, people began to notice that such reports were being scrubbed from the Internet.

Politico's Dylan Byers reported Tuesday this was done at the request of the White House:

The AFP page for the story now links to a story titled "Senegal music star Youssou Ndour hits campaign trail," as does the Yahoo page. The Huffington Post page now links directly back to the Huffington Post homepage. The Daily Mail, Telegraph, and Australian stories now lead to 404 error pages, reading "page not found."

In an update, Byers explained who was responsible for the scrubbing:

Kristina Schake, Communications Director to the First Lady, emails to confirm this was a White House effort:

From the beginning of the administration, the White House has asked news outlets not to report on or photograph the Obama children when they are not with their parents and there is no vital news interest. We have reminded outlets of this request in order to protect the privacy and security of these girls.

http://newsbusters.org/blogs/noel-sheppard/2012/03/20/white-house-admits-asking-media-scrub-reports-malia-obamas-mexican-va#ixzz1pfVUSR3E

AmPat
03-20-2012, 12:29 PM
Ah, sweet civility and transparency. We still Hope for it and wonder when we can expect O Blah Blah to Change.:rolleyes:

Odysseus
03-20-2012, 12:51 PM
After it was reported Monday that Malia Obama was going to Mexico for spring break with 25 Secret Service agents, people began to notice that such reports were being scrubbed from the Internet.

Politico's Dylan Byers reported Tuesday this was done at the request of the White House:

The AFP page for the story now links to a story titled "Senegal music star Youssou Ndour hits campaign trail," as does the Yahoo page. The Huffington Post page now links directly back to the Huffington Post homepage. The Daily Mail, Telegraph, and Australian stories now lead to 404 error pages, reading "page not found."

In an update, Byers explained who was responsible for the scrubbing:

Kristina Schake, Communications Director to the First Lady, emails to confirm this was a White House effort:

From the beginning of the administration, the White House has asked news outlets not to report on or photograph the Obama children when they are not with their parents and there is no vital news interest. We have reminded outlets of this request in order to protect the privacy and security of these girls.

http://newsbusters.org/blogs/noel-sheppard/2012/03/20/white-house-admits-asking-media-scrub-reports-malia-obamas-mexican-va#ixzz1pfVUSR3E

There is a vital news interest here. The Obama's are sending a 13-year-old child to Spring Break without parental supervision. Maybe the rest of the country wants to know what kind of parent does that? And, can anyone imagine what the reaction would have been if Bush had asked the media to leave his daughters out of the news, or what Bill Maher would have had to say about a Republican who let his barely pubescent daughter party at the Girls-Gone-Wild scene?

Novaheart
03-20-2012, 01:01 PM

Are we sure this is a "spring break" like vh1, or is it a Sidwell Friends kind of spring break to go see how poor people live and visit archeological sites and anti-American Zapatista indoctrination in Mexico?

Novaheart
03-20-2012, 01:02 PM
Who is chaperoning this trip?

25 Secret Service agents by one report.

Novaheart
03-20-2012, 01:05 PM
And, can anyone imagine what the reaction would have been if Bush had asked the media to leave his daughters out of the news......

For God's sake, is it beyond your capability from engaging in the unrelenting "Well if a Republican had...." bullshit?

I hear the talk show hosts doing this constantly, so it's not surprising to hear it from you, but one would hope that you would be able ot hear yourself whine even if they can't.

enslaved1
03-20-2012, 02:01 PM
Who is chaperoning this trip?

Hey, they are living by the standards they are trying to shove down our throats, that government agents are better suited for taking care of our children.

For God's sake, is it beyond your capability from engaging in the unrelenting "Well if a Republican had...." bullshit?

I hear the talk show hosts doing this constantly, so it's not surprising to hear it from you, but one would hope that you would be able ot hear yourself whine even if they can't.

Let's see, Read My Lips effectively cost Bush I re-election, lets see if I'll Close Club Gitmo and Unemployment Won't Go Over 8% If We Pass This will cost Obama, or even get brought up.
P-O-T-A-T-O-E was on the lips of every American for months, what happened to 57 States?
Newt's affairs and numerous marriages have hurt him getting nominated, by attacks from both sides, for how many years, while JFK, Teddy Kennedy, Bill Clinton, and others whose names escape me have their affairs celebrated without the slightest ding to their political careers?
W was an evil Big Brother wanting to grind us all under the boots of fascism using the War on Terror as an excuse, while Obama continues to expand surveillance on citizens and authorizes killing of citizens who are participating in terrorist activities, terrorist activities being very nebulous and easy to manipulate to include, say disagreeing with Federal Government opinion, and he's still the fourth greatest president, in his own none too humble opinion.
Shall we continue, or do you get the point yet?

Arroyo_Doble
03-20-2012, 02:09 PM

Really?

I went to summer camp at a pretty young age. Much younger than 13.

Articulate_Ape
03-20-2012, 02:39 PM
Really?

And look what happened to you.

Arroyo_Doble
03-20-2012, 02:46 PM
And look what happened to you.

Good point. It was Bible Camp.

txradioguy
03-20-2012, 02:48 PM
Are we sure this is a "spring break" like vh1, or is it a Sidwell Friends kind of spring break to go see how poor people live and visit archeological sites and anti-American Zapatista indoctrination in Mexico?

You tell me:

The young tourists, including 13-year-old Malia Ann Obama, are staying at a downtown hotel in this city famous for its colonial architecture and well-preserved native American traditions, the official said.

http://www.montrealgazette.com/travel/Obama+daughter+spends+spring+break+Mexico/6323773/story.html

We...you and me...are paying for a teenaged girl and 12 of her little girlfriends to vacation in Mexico...along with 25 Secret Service Agents...and all of the logistical support it took to get them there.

http://www.drudgereport.com/mo.jpg

txradioguy
03-20-2012, 02:48 PM
Really?

This isn't summer camp fanboy. Stop with the straw man.

AmPat
03-20-2012, 02:52 PM
Really?

I went to summer camp at a pretty young age. Much younger than 13.Who paid for it?

Good point. It was Bible Camp.You didn't learn much. Whoever paid for your trip wasted their money.

ABC in Georgia
03-20-2012, 03:06 PM
*** Edit ~ Rats! Took me so long to type this, most has already been covered! Sorry about that. (Blush!)

Really?

Ah yes, good for you, but ...

1 - did you travel all the way to Mexico?
2 - did you go at the expense of the US tax-payers?
3 - were you in need of 25 highly paid "baby-sitters" to keep an eye on you?
4 - did you take 12 friends with you?
5 - did you all fly on AF1?

(Since no doubt, no members of the 1st. family are allowed to take commercial flights.)

Of course you didn't, and I am not really aiming this at you! Am just on a rant here!

The problem with the WH alluding to not wanting any publicity re their daughter's trip for security or simply privacy reasons ... is nothing but pure hogwash!

They know full well that yet another "vacation" at our expense in this worsening economy would not go over too well ...

And that is precisely why the reports are being scrubbed!

I fear for our country when our own President can just say the word, and our news stories can be whisked away at his command.

~ ABC

Arroyo_Doble
03-20-2012, 03:25 PM
Ah yes, good for you, but ...

1 - did you travel all the way to Mexico?

No. Oklahoma.

2 - did you go at the expense of the US tax-payers?

No.

3 - were you in need of 25 highly paid "baby-sitters" to keep an eye on you?

Not highly paid and more like 10

4 - did you take 12 friends with you?

Yes. More, actually. Though I suppose they went on their own and I didn't take them. They wouldn't have fit in the Bobcat.

5 - did you all fly on AF1?

(Since no doubt, no members of the 1st. family are allowed to take commercial flights.)

No.

Of course you didn't, and I am not really aiming this at you!

Oops.

Am just on a rant here!

The problem with the WH alluding to not wanting any publicity re their daughter's trip for security or simply privacy reasons ... is nothing but pure hogwash!

They know full well that yet another "vacation" at our expense in this worsening economy would not go over too well ...

And that is precisely why the reports are being scrubbed!

I fear for our country when our own President can just say the word, and our news stories can be whisked away at his command.

~ ABC

I don't doubt that they asked the Media to not cover their kids. I remember Clinton doing something similar. But nothing is stopping anyone from covering the trip other than courtesy.

As far as the trip itself, I leave it to the Obama's on how they want to raise their children and if they choose not to sequester them in the White House for four (maybe eight) of their formative years, I have no problem with that.

Odysseus
03-20-2012, 03:29 PM

We aren't sure of anything, because it's going unreported. Every time somebody tries to get the facts, the White House has the story pulled. Meanwhile, we're sending 25 Secret Service Agents to chaperone the first daughter and her friends, and we don't know who is paying for the trip.

And, while I realize that the whole "if this were a Republican..." line bores you, but that's because you're not on the receiving end of the double standard. It isn't simply that the media goes after Republicans (and their families) in a way that they'd never go after Democrats, it's that they actively censor the news on behalf of the Democrats. The double standard ought to offend anyone with any sense of decency and fairness. Why doesn't it bother you?

Really?

I'm sure that they were very disappointed when you found your way back.

Arroyo_Doble
03-20-2012, 03:37 PM
I'm sure that they were very disappointed when you found your way back.

Very.

txradioguy
03-20-2012, 03:46 PM
I don't doubt that they asked the Media to not cover their kids. I remember Clinton doing something similar. But nothing is stopping anyone from covering the trip other than courtesy.

A courtesy that the MSM seems to only extend to Democrats.

As far as the trip itself, I leave it to the Obama's on how they want to raise their children and if they choose not to sequester them in the White House for four (maybe eight) of their formative years, I have no problem with that.

Of course you don't have a problem with this post 2008 fanboy.

Rockntractor
03-20-2012, 03:55 PM

Of course you don't have a problem with this post 2008 fanboy.

It is odd that Michelle's kids are off limits to comment on but it is perfectly alright for her to stick her nose into the business of the rest of us and mandate what our children eat.

txradioguy
03-20-2012, 03:58 PM
It is odd that Michelle's kids are off limits to comment on but it is perfectly alright for her to stick her nose into the business of the rest of us and mandate what our children eat.

Not really that odd when you realize it's typical of the Liberal mindset that we are to do as they say NOT as they do. They will tell us how when and where we do EVERYTHING in our private lives and we are never to question what they do in theirs.

Odysseus
03-20-2012, 04:01 PM
Very.

I feel their pain.

Exactly. Remember the difference in coverage when Gore's son got caught DUI and the Bush girls simply had drinks in a bar?

Novaheart
03-20-2012, 04:14 PM
And, while I realize that the whole "if this were a Republican..." line bores you,......

I didn't forbid to consider the construct, I'd simply prefer if you kept it out of the hypothetical. Which Republican president's minor daughters went on a trip with friends and without the Secret Service?

Odysseus
03-20-2012, 04:32 PM
I didn't forbid to consider the construct, I'd simply prefer if you kept it out of the hypothetical. Which Republican president's minor daughters went on a trip with friends and without the Secret Service?

I believe that one of the Lincoln kids hit South Padre Island, but that may have been part of a Union blockade.

Regardless, I mentioned a concrete example above, when the media went after Bush's daughters for having a couple of beers when they turned 18, but ignored Al Gore Jr's 100 MPH DUI joyride and subsequent arrest.

Arroyo_Doble
03-20-2012, 04:35 PM

Not since McKinley.

Novaheart
03-20-2012, 04:47 PM
I believe that one of the Lincoln kids hit South Padre Island, but that may have been part of a Union blockade.

Regardless, I mentioned a concrete example above, when the media went after Bush's daughters for having a couple of beers when they turned 18, but ignored Al Gore Jr's 100 MPH DUI joyride and subsequent arrest.

First, regarding Obama's daughter, I have no idea how many SS agents are watching her under normal circumstances. I also suspect that her going to Mexico was on the hush while she was there, and that the intent was to say that she had been after her return in an act of diplomatic friendship, as in "See, you can go to Mexico on vacation without being ambushed." But that's a guess.

As for the Bush girls, I also don't know how many secret service agents were assigned to them, but I don't think they were old enough to drink so that was an issue, was it not?

Al Gore Jr.'s run ins with the police most certainly did make the news. You know about it, I know about it, and unless we are both aware of our insider status there, then it must have come to us through the news. I distinctly remember the stink when Al Jr. got busted on his way to something or other right before or after the nomination.

Arroyo_Doble
03-20-2012, 04:52 PM
First, regarding Obama's daughter, I have no idea how many SS agents are watching her under normal circumstances. I also suspect that her going to Mexico was on the hush while she was there, and that the intent was to say that she had been after her return in an act of diplomatic friendship, as in "See, you can go to Mexico on vacation without being ambushed." But that's a guess.

As for the Bush girls, I also don't know how many secret service agents were assigned to them, but I don't think they were old enough to drink so that was an issue, was it not?

Al Gore Jr.'s run ins with the police most certainly did make the news. You know about it, I know about it, and unless we are both aware of our insider status there, then it must have come to us through the news. I distinctly remember the stink when Al Jr. got busted on his way to something or other right before or after the nomination.

That is kinda odd bringing up Al Gore Jr's criminal behavior and the Bush twins' underage drinking in this context. As far as we know, Malia hasn't gone on a machete crusade just yet.

AmPat
03-20-2012, 04:57 PM
White House Admits to Asking News Agencies to Pull Malia Obama Vacation Story

Posted on March 20, 2012 at 10:06am by http://www.theblaze.com/wp-content/uploads/userphoto/jseidl.thumbnail.jpgJonathon M. Seidl (http://www.theblaze.com/blog/author/jseidl)
Update: Rick Santorum has offered his thoughts on the issue. Hear them here (http://www.theblaze.com/stories/rick-santorum-reacts-to-obama-allowing-daughter-to-vacation-in-mexico-set-an-example/).
The White House has admitted to telling news agencies to pull stories on Malia Obama visiting Mexico for spring break, Politico reports.
Kristina Schake, Communications Director to the First Lady, emailed Dylan Byers (http://www.politico.com/blogs/media/2012/03/media-scrubs-malia-obamamexico-story-117970.html):

The Blaze first noticed (http://www.theblaze.com/stories/why-is-the-story-about-malia-obama-vacationing-in-mexico-disappearing-from-the-web/) the disappearing stories Monday afternoon, when accounts of Malia and 12 friends visiting Oaxaca with 25 Secret Service agents mysteriously began turning into broken links.
However, in admitting to “reminding outlets” about not reporting on the Obama children when there is “no vital news interest,” the White House has also tacitly admitted that Malia is (or now maybe was) in Mexico for spring break. Additional evidence has surfaced confirming that. One site has published a photo of the Obamas going to church on Sunday (http://www.blackcelebkids.com/2012/03/19/the-first-family-attend-sunday-service-sans-malia/). It notes that Malia is absent, and says that’s due to the Mexico trip:http://www.theblaze.com/stories/white-house-admits-to-asking-news-agencies-to-pull-malia-obama-vacation-story/

Too bad the lap dogs didn't honor the previous requests by,,,, oh, that's right, it was a REPUBLICAN administration attempting to conceal iinfromation from TERRORISTS. Way different.:rolleyes: Protect one little girl on an unnecessary and expensive trip but endanger 310 MILLION Americans for political gain.

Arroyo_Doble
03-20-2012, 05:00 PM
Santorum is low rent.

Wow.

AmPat
03-20-2012, 06:22 PM
Santorum is low rent. Wow.

Other than the flies buzzing around in your atrophied head, What is "low rent" about this reasoned and logical response from Santorum.
You should set an example. I think that‘s what president’s do. They set an example. And when the government is saying this is not safe, then you don’t set the example by sending your kids down there.”He also noted that he wasn‘t being critical of the president’s daughter, but rather referencing the president’s “higher duty.”

I suppose it is a stretch to actually hold this Marxist administration to their own advice. Afterall, we have the FLATUS telling us what not to eat while speaking through double cheeseburger breath.

MountainMan
03-20-2012, 07:32 PM
In other words, the tax payer is.

Teetop
03-20-2012, 10:00 PM
Ok.....we now know that Obozo and Moochelle asked the media to refrain from covering their daughter's trip to Mexico, and respect their privacy for being children.

Fair enough.

I guess only Obozo can WHORE his children when politically expedient!

IE; Sandra Fluke needing $3,000 a year for birth control and Rush calling her a slut. Obozo said, "How can I explain that comment to my children?"

I cannot stand to even hear that fool's voice!

Teetop
03-20-2012, 10:05 PM
Santorum is low rent.

Wow.

Obozo is Section 8, in public housing.

:cool:

NJCardFan
03-20-2012, 10:55 PM
http://www.russianhockeyfans.com/photos/pictures/cska-goalie-nolan-schaefer-makes-a-save-22.jpg

NJCardFan
03-20-2012, 10:57 PM

http://i.usatoday.net/sports/_photos/2009/01/05/rangers-topper.jpg

NJCardFan
03-20-2012, 11:06 PM

http://news.wbru.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/10/Rask-makes-save2.jpg

NJCardFan
03-20-2012, 11:08 PM

http://www.cbc.ca/gfx/images/sports/photos/2008/11/13/584-mason-steve-cp081112.jpg

Odysseus
03-21-2012, 04:24 PM
Why this story matters:

- The Rosett Report - http://pjmedia.com/claudiarosett -
Click here (http://www.conservativeunderground.com/forum505/#Print) to print.

Mexico for Spring Break
Posted By Claudia Rosett On March 20, 2012 @ 3:48 pm In Uncategorized |

It’s not actually about the First Daughter, per se, who according to serially vanishing stories (http://pjmedia.com/tatler/2012/03/20/white-house-admits-it-directed-effort-to-scrub-malia-obama-spring-break-story-from-the-web/) [1] has been vacationing (http://www.ottawacitizen.com/travel/Obama+daughter+spends+spring+break+Mexico/6323773/story.html) [2] with a group of friends in Mexico — a country for which the State Department just last month issued a new warning (http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_pa_tw/tw/tw_5665.html#)[3]to all U.S. travelers.

It’s about the judgment of the White House, which apparently deems there is “no vital news interest” to this story.

How so?

Let us set aside the obvious hypocrisy of a president who denounces the “1%” and calls for Americans to tighten their belts, while members of his own family summer on a Martha’s Vineyard estate, spend Christmas beachside at Oahu, and travel for fun to the ski slopes of Colorado, the luxury suites of Marbella, and now, scenic spots in Mexico. If that is the image Obama wants to cultivate, or those are the family pleasures with which he wishes to balance the rigors of his presidency, so be it.

Let us set aside, for the moment, the queasy feeling it brings, reminiscent of the air-brushed politburo photos of Mao’s China, to see news stories erased, one after another, at the behest of the White House. Doubtless there are security concerns here. Though, especially in the information age, it suggests an odd obliviousness to think that an optional holiday, entailing security concerns presumably serious enough to warrant erasing news stories, should not qualify as a legitimate story.

Let us even set aside the cost to taxpayers of dispatching Secret Service agents — reportedly, 25 of them — to Mexico, not for official White House business, not for something that clearly benefits belt-tightening U.S. taxpayers, but for the pleasure trip of a family member. There is a case to be made, persuasive or not, that the presidency should not be such a burden as to preclude whatever the first family can manage in the way of reasonable socializing and entertainment.

Let us also set aside any tut-tutting about parental discretion in letting teenagers travel to places under a travel warning from the State Department. The First Family is in a good position to weigh the risks to its members, and is doubtless well acquainted with the first-rate competence of the Secret Service to provide security, which, when factored into the equation, presumably goes far to lower the risk for the vacationing First Family member.

But that brings us to the risks faced by those traveling secret service agents — whether 25 in number, or whatever the precise total might be. Yes, their job is to protect the First Family, and that includes taking a bullet or laying down their lives, if need be, to ensure that not a hair on a First Head is harmed. We can expect to hear no complaints from the Secret Service. But those Secret Service agents quite likely have families, too. They have now been dispatched to do their job not within U.S. shores where American authorities have enormous powers to minimize the risks, nor in a place which the State Department at least regards as routinely secure for Americans to amuse themselves on spring breaks.

Instead, these Secret Service agents have been sent to provide security in Mexico, where the State Department warns that due to transnational criminal organizations, “crime and violence are serious problems throughout the country” including “homicide, gun battles, kidnapping, carjacking and highway robbery.” State reports that “gun battles have occurred in broad daylight on streets and in other public venues, such as restaurants and clubs.” Of particular concern are “kidnappings and disappearances throughout Mexico,” with local police in some cases implicated. State adds that U.S. government personnel and their families “are prohibited from travel” to some of the most dangerous areas. And though the holiday destination reported in the vanishing new stories is not on the list of Mexican provinces totally taboo for personal travel of government personnel, State warns that in Mexico, “even if no advisories are in effect for a given state, crime and violence can occur anywhere.”

Perhaps one way the White House is entitled to regard the Secret Service is that there should be no constraints on the risks its agents are asked to run, for whatever reason. Certainly if the president wants to visit Afghanistan (which he’s done twice, on highly secured “surprise” visits, during his presidency), or go to Mexico on official business, it’s appropriate that Secret Service agents are expected to go with him, and do their jobs, at higher risk, to protect him and any family members in tow. But — hoping that all goes safely and smoothly with this Mexican spring break, and trusting to the Secret Service to ensure the safety of members of the First Family, wherever they might go — may we ask, nonetheless, a question:

In the terrible event that State’s warning proves relevant, and in the course of doing whatever it takes to provide security, any of those 25 or so American Secret Service agents are wounded or even killed in the line of fire, would the White House still consider the context a non-story? Would it be irrelevant that they had been asked to run such risks not to safeguard official business, but to enable a personal holiday trip to a place under a U.S. government travel warning? One need not quarrel over whether the White House, or anyone in it, is entitled to organize holiday trips to just about anywhere on the planet. But being entitled to do something does not necessarily mean it’s a good idea to do it. Where’s the sense of responsibility to those who serve? Where’s the judgment?

Article printed from The Rosett Report: http://pjmedia.com/claudiarosett
URL to article: http://pjmedia.com/claudiarosett/mexico-for-spring-break/

URLs in this post: [1] serially vanishing stories: http://pjmedia.com/tatler/2012/03/20/white-house-admits-it-directed-effort-to-scrub-malia-obama-spring-break-story-from-the-web/
[2] vacationing: http://www.ottawacitizen.com/travel/Obama+daughter+spends+spring+break+Mexico/6323773/story.html
[3] new warning : http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_pa_tw/tw/tw_5665.html#

Copyright © 2012 Pajamas Media. All rights reserved.

Chuck58
03-22-2012, 02:51 PM
I think it's just irresponsible, especially when the State Department has almost the entire nation of Mexico under a travel warning. Really, would 25 secret service matter? Those people attack army patrols. Just yesterday, 12 cops killed and 14 wounded in a firefight. I think that with the obamas, it's a case of 'let's see as much of the world as we can on the taxpayer's dime, because next year we might have to foot the bill.'

http://www.hispanicallyspeakingnews.com/el-blog-del-narco/details/blog-del-narco-12-police-killed-in-ambush-in-guerrero-mexico-near-site-of-b/14690/

Twelve police officers were killed in an ambush in the southern Mexican state of Guerrero, not far from the site where 10 human heads were found over the weekend, spokespersons for the state Attorney General’s Office said.

Gunmen ambushed the group of state police and municipal officers from the town of Teloloapan on Sunday on a road in the town of General Canuto A. Neri, they said.

State authorities have not yet issued a formal statement on the incident.

A total of 14 state and municipal police also were wounded in the same ambush, the spokespersons said Monday.

General Canuto A. Neri is adjacent to Teloloapan and located in the Tierra Caliente region, where 10 human heads were dumped on Sunday along with a message from a rival gang.

(more at link)